Misc Tech Support Issues II

Gallion

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

Here's the odd thing though. Now that I have started a new game and deploying mining drones, when I deploy a drone on Gamma-1, then check the status of how full it is from Tactical, it says that the drone is deployed at WRM-18. Then for the drone I deployed at Tyrinis it says that it's deployed at JMP-60. What's that? I distinctly remember that in my previous games it was listing the correct planets for deployed drones. Now it just lists these gyberish names.

I think I know whats causing this. And probably Tac's problem too. I didn't rebuild the world data file when I removed that test debris field from Earth space region. This will cause the indices to be incorrect.

Download this updatedNAVDATA.INI file and unzip in your BCM install folder with folders intact. It will replace the version in the DATA folder.

Both you and Tac let me know if it fixes both your problems. If not, I may need to rebuild the world script.

quote:

Originally posted by [PCA]Pheonix:

OK, I dont remember you telling me that. I've not got any email at the moment due to my stupid domain company.

Thats odd. Because I sent out a press advisory (I'm sure you know the ones I'm talking about) that the final patch will invalidate Beta saved games (thats why they are Beta) and to contact me if they had anything in saved games they want to preserve.

Posted by Soback. Moved here

Two instances - this time different from last.

1. Career Planetary support pilot : I crashed into surface of mars while using SHIFT + E to land. 3rd person camera angle of fighter explosion. Wait a few min. Game doesn't end - hit F1 and voila - cockpit.

2. Career Terran Military Commander : I was in a spacesuit. I was orbiting earth. My Ship was in a battle. It was defeated. View switched to my ship being destroyed. Game didn't end. Hit F1 to see if I was still in my space suit. I appeared in the cockpit - all systems dead.

In both instances Alt Q ended the game. So it's not a big deal - once again just reporting what I've noticed in case you wanna squash it.

My system Specs:

P3 1ghz

256 Mb Ram

Asus v8200 Deluxe Geforce 3 DetXP 21.83 drivers

DFI Motherboard

50X CD ROM

7200 RPM 40 GB HD

Really cool looking American flag mousepad

on a side note - I'm operating CRASH - FREE so far. Just minor quirks I'm trying to spot and reproduce.

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Posted by Anachron. Moved here

I started a new game in the Centris region at Orion and I HJed to the wormhole connecting that to the Sol system. That went fine, and I went through and went to the station at Pluto. After buying some items there, then went back to Centris by way of the same wormhole. Again, no problems. I docked with Orion station and sold my items, then wrote down the prices of the Orion station's goods. I left the station and launched a shuttle, then had the shuttle tractor me and tow me to the wormhole. The shuttle got to the wormhole just fine, and then as soon as its engines warmed up again went through the wormhole. I popped into the Sol system...and the game froze. I figured it was just my computer being stupid again (it has quite the knack for that), but it happened again to me just now under the same circumstances. Launched a shuttle after leaving the Orion station and had the shuttle tow me to the wormhole. As soon as it went through the wormhole, the game froze.

My system specs are as follows:

Pentium II 350MHz (*miserable sigh*)

Windows 98 first edition

352MB SDRAM

36GB free hard drive space

Voodoo3/3000 16MB with 1.07 drivers (should be a GeForce2 Pro with 64MB DDR video RAM, but for some stupid reason it hasn't come yet )

DirectX 8.1

Windows Media Player 7.1

Generibrand integrated sound

MS Precision Pro joystick

Downloaded the bcm1001_navdata.zip, to try and fix the Navitron problem and the wormhole, like you said.

Unzipped it into the BCM Folder, but now, when I try to click an empty player slot for SNG, it CTDs just as I click the slot. (the slot that says "available" or something of the like)

I also wanted to bring this up: The zip file was 191k, but the downloads page said it was 4k. I also downloaded again to make sure it wasn't a botched download. Still 191k, still have the problem.

The contents of the zip file are as follows:

data/navdata.ini

data/scenarios.zip

data/world.zip

pte2/pteScene.ini

I'll try to re-install, re-patch, and try again.

Hello SC and everyone else.

Before I start I would like to say I am extremely pleased with BCM. I own ever version of the game going all the way back to the beggining. To this day I will never buy another take2 game (are they still even in business?). Anyways, on to the important stuff.

Windows XP Pro(With all the latest updates)

Athlon 1gig processor

288 Megs of Ram (Upgrading to 512 very soon)

Creative Sound Card

ASUS A7V Motherboard

Nvidia GeForce2 GTS (64 Megs Ram) (V21.83 downloaded from Nvidia's site)

Pre-patch I am able to run the game fine. Post patch is when I run into problems. I never ran the beta patch. When I run with the new patch the game crashes to desktop after I select a new game or I try to load a saved game. I've uninstalled the game and removed the install directory. Reinstall with out the patch and the game works. I install the patch and it's a no go. This is also a freshly loaded OS (less than a week loaded). Any help would be great.

Thanks

Ravonaf

p.s I made sure to run the patch from the directory that the game resides.

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: Ravonaf ]

Problem after patch: Opening video plays, then the main menu screen comes up. From the main menu, trying to go to either IA or Tutorial sends me back to teh desktop. I can select "New", but when I hit "Accept" I am returned to the desktop. everything worked fine before the v1.0.0.1 patch. I've tried uninstal, reinstall - works - then apply the patch -> same problem. I am usinq DirectX 8.1, and just re-downloaded from the MS site and applied again to make doubly sure. Any ideas?

System Specs:

AMD 1.2 GHz CPU

512Mb RAM

72Gb HDD

Creative sound blaster Live 5.1

DirectX 8.1

OS WindowME

NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 Pro MX Video Card

LAN Card (3Com)

DVD ROM

32x/8x CDRw

MS inteliMouse

Saitek Cyborg USB Joystick

Until this glitch, this is a great release - long live BC3000AD!

Re-downloaded it, and it works now. Great job, SC.

Did you two (Ravonaf and Mitchell) download and install that Nav Data patch? If so, try re-downloading it again. If not, then download it, just in case (you wouldn't want to CTD before you get a chance to save the game).

Oh, and when you uninstall, so you can get a fresh install, delete the Battlecruiser Millennium folder that you installed the game to. (Make sure to back up savegames, if they're the newer compatible ones, your screenshots, and any other stuff you know you added in like music files and whatnot.) When you patch, copy the patch exe to the Battlecruiser Millennium folder you installed the game to, and run it from there.

And once again, you might want to try the new patch.

quote:

Originally posted by Ravonaf:

Pre-patch I am able to run the game fine. Post patch is when I run into problems. I never ran the beta patch. When I run with the new patch the game crashes to desktop after I select a new game or I try to load a saved game. I've uninstalled the game and removed the install directory. Reinstall with out the patch and the game works. I install the patch and it's a no go. This is also a freshly loaded OS (less than a week loaded). Any help would be great.

Download both the patch and the navdata update again. Apply the patch first (even if you had previously applied it. no problem). Then unzip the navdata files (which I had to re-upload). Then delete all files in the SAVE folder.

The same goes for you Mitchel

For over 5 years now you've been right there for us, SC - WTG! After I d/l-ed the updated NavData archive and applied it the patched version worked fine. Thanks to you, too, Cmdr Nova - always a big help...

Now, where were those Gammulans....

Ok, here's a bug you may want to look into. I think I read somewhere it was supposed to be addressed in the last patch, but it didnt seem to work.

Do the following: Get your BC hull down really low, and turn off shields. Make sure it's heavily damaged. Then go into space in FP. Stay at max range with your gun and keep shooting the BC, get back on it, reload, repeat. Keep doing it till you destroy the BC. You should

1. Be able to hit F1 and get the bridge view again

2. Be able to access roster, and notice everyone on the ship was dead, and you arent.

3. Try to leave the ship again with alt+e, but end up freezing the game.

This was already posted. It is a different issue entirely from the previous fix.

This is already fixed and listed in the VCF

This is why we have started deleting and relocating posts. Lets try and keep the dupes to a mininum please. I don't want to have to wade through a lot of crap each time I do a forum pass, in order to get to the important issues.

Firstly, why can't I post a new topic? Secondly, I got a bad problem:

It was working absolutely fine yesterday, I didn't change anything on my computer whatsoever. Now when I try and resume my game it freezes at the GAME LOADED OK screen. I can hear my ship sounds (I think that's what they are) or some kinds of sounds that sound like the ship. Here's my specs:

win98 SE

P3 733 Mhz

nVIDIA Geforce2 MX w/ latest drivers

SB Live! sound card

256mb RAM

DX8.1

Also, I did ScanDisk and defragmented, with no results. I had a similar problem yesterday, and doing that fixed it.

I just have the 1.0 version, the 1.0.01 patch doesn't work at all, gives me some weird error like .NAV something something at the GAME LOADED OK screen, can't remember. I couldn't find a better place to post this, since I can't make a new thread for some reason

Please help...

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: Sadistic ]

Well, I decided to test the PTA system and I thought, "what better place to test it than on a terran/raider installation," I brought the BC down and let the PTA system have a whack at the ground targets. After a while I noticed all the destructive power of my turrets was being brought to bear on a DJP (Which should be indestructible) rather than the other more mortal targets such as SAMs. What do you think? By the way, which programs open the .TGA screen shots? Is there any way to change the shots to .bmp within the game?

Ice cold

quote:

Originally posted by Sadistic:

Firstly, why can't I post a new topic? Secondly, I got a bad problem:

It was working absolutely fine yesterday, I didn't change anything on my computer whatsoever. Now when I try and resume my game it freezes at the GAME LOADED OK screen. I can hear my ship sounds (I think that's what they are) or some kinds of sounds that sound like the ship. Here's my specs:

win98 SE

P3 733 Mhz

nVIDIA Geforce2 MX w/ latest drivers

SB Live! sound card

256mb RAM

DX8.1

I just have the 1.0 version, the 1.0.01 patch doesn't work at all, gives me some weird error like .NAV something something at the GAME LOADED OK screen, can't remember. I couldn't find a better place to post this, since I can't make a new thread for some reason

Please help...

[ 11-25-2001: Message edited by: Sadistic ]

1.0 savegames use an oboslete save method. The 1.0.01 patch updates it to the final one that will eventually be used later, in anticipation of multiplayer. All old savegames should be deleted. The patch should have deleted yours; if you backed them up, it doesn't matter. Don't use them.

Upgrade, start over, and then tell us if any problems persist. DO NOT REPORT BUGS IF YOU'RE USING 1.0, BECAUSE MANY THINGS HAVE ALREADY BEEN ADDED/CORRECTED/FIXED IN 1.0.01+.

Regarding making new threads, read what the SC just said.

quote:

This is why we have started deleting and relocating posts. Lets try and keep the dupes to a mininum please. I don't want to have to wade through a lot of crap each time I do a forum pass, in order to get to the important issues.

Then read this. (Second post.)

Fill in the blanks, then you should understand.

quote:

Originally posted by IceCold:

Well, I decided to test the PTA system and I thought, "what better place to test it than on a terran/raider installation," I brought the BC down and let the PTA system have a whack at the ground targets. After a while I noticed all the destructive power of my turrets was being brought to bear on a DJP (Which should be indestructible) rather than the other more mortal targets such as SAMs. What do you think? By the way, which programs open the .TGA screen shots? Is there any way to change the shots to .bmp within the game?

Ice cold

Um, not sure what to say about the PTA thing. Perhaps if your crew had better AI, it would do little better, but I'm not exactly sure. I'll let the SC take this one.

Adobe Acrobat, Ulead Photo Express, and some others can open TGA files. If you don't have an image editor, you can download shareware/trial versions of some at Cnet. No, you can't change the format to BMP.

Nova, over and out.

Aww man, you mean I have to start over AGAIN? Please tell me we won't have to start over for every new patch... I doubt we will, but crap, I was doing really good, I finally got a good feel for the game, and got some mining drones going and stuff. Alright, well, I'll try completely deleting it and reinstalling it and installing the new patch.