Misc Tech Support Issues II

Gallion

Heheh, SC and I went through this whole thing about 2 weeks ago. I even ended up sending him my DxDiag and system settings files.

If your reading this SC, no need to go through the whole tech support thing again. Honestly I am just looking for answers as to why BCM would lockup and why no other game ever does. Why does the SBLive not work correctly with it. Why do we have to lower video/sound acceleration. Just want to know why all this has to be done for BCM exlusively. I mean these are very valid questions to ask and everyone here deserves to know. I mean this is the only game people need to do these things for.

Btw Soback, I registered BCM the 1st second it came out, and I always post my system settings in the 1st post, didnt realize SC wanted us to post a link of them now.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, read this --> http://www.3000ad.com/cgibin/ultimatebb.cg...c&f=22&t=000005

for how to place a link to your system profile info and how to go about doing it. Also, I have Creative soundblaster live 5.1, don't have any sound problems. Different system configurations can have different effects, so if you have the same soundcard that I do, but you have problems with it and I don't then something on your computer is interfeering with it's operation, maybe it's IRQ setting, maybe some program running in the background, it can be pretty much anything, or something you wouldn't even think would cause a problem. As for other things my guess is it will be pretty much the same answer. But since you are asking SC, he can tell you his own opinion.

Zuul, posting here is a priviledge, not a right.

With that, your posting priviledge is hereby revoked.

If everyone else can configure their systems and you find that you don't have to, thats not my problem. Its YOUR problem and I don't give a toss how YOU feel about it.

If you choose not to follow procedure, you're on your own.

And I'm not going to even edit or delete your posts because they demonstrate the sort of ludicrity that only a complete ass would demonstrate. The intention is that others may learn from them. You want to make an ass of yourself, be my guest - but don't do it here.

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Hello folks,

To keep it short, I have few issues that i don't know how to solve. 1) I'm not the most computer literate person in the world so could someone PLEASE tell me how to get the link to my system specs working. 2)whenever in get damaged and have the system engineers repair the damage, especially on my support craft and fighters, at around 95 to 99% they ALWAYS suspend the repairs. Makes no difference if it's MY engineers or a stations, I can never get anything a 100% repaired. 3)Just upgraded from Windows Millenium to XP and no longer have this problem but under Millenium when ever ANYTHING hyperjumped, the graphic would just freeze and never completely enter hyperspace. Game wasn't locked or anything, could still give orders and stuff but just couldn't go anywhere. Thanks in advance

quote:

Originally posted by MyBOOboo33:

1) I'm not the most computer literate person in the world so could someone PLEASE tell me how to get the link to my system specs working...

What you want to do is this:

1. Go to ---> http://www.3000ad.com/register

2. Click on "view or update your profile here"

3. Type in your first name, your last name and your serial number... Click LOGIN

4. Click on "view public profile"

This page is yer specs page...

5. Copy the address (something like http://www.3000ad.com/register/profile.php?id=###,, where ### is your assigned number)

6. Now go to the message board (login in if you have to) and click on "my profile"

7. Click on "View/Update Profile"... Scroll down to your the signature field.

8. Type: {URL=http://www.3000ad.com/register/profile.php?id=###}System Profile Info{/URL}

BUT instead of the "{" and "}" use "[" and "]". (If I typed it here you wouldn't see the code)

Click on UPDATE PROFILE and yer in like Flynn...

Hi,

If you use a new operating-system, you need new drivers. In general, you can't use drivers not written for your device and for a differnt operating system. So you need to download and use the Dell Windows XP drivers.

Wouter Dijkslag

quote:

Originally posted by MyBOOboo33:

3)Just upgraded from Windows Millenium to XP and no longer have this problem...

From personal experience and from what others have told me, WinME has too many problems. So much that works with everything else does not work with WinME... The fact that you "no longer have this problem" sounds like it's solved to me.

Count your blessings and enjoy the game.

Crashing to Desk Top

Along with the info on my signature I have set the video setting to their lowest and switched to 16bit. Still the problem persists. The game randomly crashes back to my desktop. No warnings at all. All my drivers are the latests for both vid. and sound.

Any suggestions?

quote:

Originally posted by StarShadow:

Crashing to Desk Top

Along with the info on my signature I have set the video setting to their lowest and switched to 16bit. Still the problem persists. The game randomly crashes back to my desktop. No warnings at all. All my drivers are the latests for both vid. and sound.

Any suggestions?

Nope.

You might want to try running it in a window using the -w1 param and seeing if you get an error message when it quits.

Im having a problem, Ive seen similar problems mentioned in other post so I thought I should post it. Here is what I do to recreate it. Start roam, Valkerie military,Nightstar, launch from Alidis/Otura-6. Land on planet. Go to tacops launch shuttle. When I click the lauch button it kicks me back to the bridge view as if I hit f1, however now I can also see the front half of my ship through the bridge viwer. click tac ops button once,front part of the ship disapears but no tac ops, hit it again and it lets me in. It will kick me out every time I lanch craft. With rc8 sometimes I had to leave the planet to get tac ops to let me in again. With rc9 it will let me in after I click the button two or three times, but will drop back to bridge view after launching craft, or sometimes for no reason at all. I did not have any of theese problems using rc2. I did reinstall and fresh patch to rc9, but still have the same problem.

Also..when the first time I go into tac ops, My ship has a target locator box around it, but every time after that the locator box is gone. Althoug after reading the VCF I do believ that is what is suposed to happen. The problems with my tac ops seem to have started about the same time the target locator box around the command craft started disapearing. Im about to go back to the first official patch, untill I can find out what is going on.

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: Barron Morris ]

I hate to post something like this, but I'm out of answers SC. After much RTFM, I finally got into actually playing the game quite a bit I've been bopping around here in there with the different RC's, but finally got a chance to play in depth with RC9. All last night, one CTD after another, with no discernible (sp?) pattern, completely random, often without me even touching the keys and usually 10-15 minutes into the game. Tried both roam/campaign, same result. In frustration, I went back to the official patch version 1 (only after complete reinstallation as to avoid random variables) and have since played hours without any problems. Did a reinstall, installed RC9 and back to CTD, once again without touching anything or doing anything in particular. Went back, reistalled, installed patch 1, no problems. Installed RC9 over the top of patch 1 (thought I'd try it to eliminate another variable), CTD after 10-15 minutes. Here's my dilema SC. I don't know if this is unique to RC9 or was introduced in one of the other RC. The only way I see to solve this is to try other RC's and see which one (if any) introduces the CTD. I'm on a 56k modem and it will be awfully time consuming, but I'd like to try it so I can report back to you which RC is causing the problem. RC9 is the likely culprit as I've never CTD before, but as I said, RC9 is the one I've played the most with. I do feel that I played the other RC long enough to see a CTD, but didn't play for hours to verify. Sorry for the rambling post but I wanted to be as clear as possible. BTW, is there anyway to send a crashlog to you? Perhaps this would be easier? I also recently reinstalled WINXP and all my drivers, so they should be rather clean. I also reinstalled my VIA 4-1 drivers. Will attempt the RC9b patch and let you know.

Regards.

Hello, this is my first time posting on these forums so don't rain down hell if I'm doing anything wrong.

I've been playing BCM since I got it and its a great game, especially love the freedom. Anyways on to my problem. I notice everytime I try to access the "Miscon" screen the game would crash and go back to my desktop. And another thing is, whiles I'm playing the game maybe between 10-20 min. it would crash back to my desktop.

ok here are my system specs.

Athlon xp 1900

Epox 8kha+ motherboard

Sound Blaster Live! Value

Geforce 2 mx400 (pci)- I have an Agp geforce2 ultra which I lent to a friend so I will be getting that back soon.

Windows Xp pro

Nvidia detonator 23.11

256 ddr ram.

and I'm using 1.0.02 RC9

So thats it. Any help would be appreciated. By the way SC great job you're doing by actually interacting with your gamers. I think thats the coolest part of what you are bring to the gaming community. Maybe others will follow.. hehe.

The Case of the Vanishing OC's (1.0.0.2RC9)

What I did:

Load Marine to pilot each shuttle. Pile the rest into the OC's. (I was going to have them drive around a clear area, for AI training purposes.)

TacOps, observe the planet. (In my case, it was Dione in Saturn sub-region 2.) Assign each shuttle a waypoint to deploy their OC's. Each shuttle dropped off their vehicle and RTB'ed, no problem.

This is where it gets interesting. Support/ZOOM-TO shows all 4 OC's, as normal. I zoom down to one of them, pull back. Go to the waypoint menu, add one.

Click on setpos. The OC vanishes. Pop, right out of the TacOps view. It doesn't show up any longer in the Zoom-To/Support Craft menu. Doing the trick of zooming down to the surface and pitching/rotating the view (which shows the others' TTD's on the horizon) doesn't show its TTD.

The instant of clicking setpos for waypoints for each of the others causes them to vanish into the ether as well.

Sending shuttles back at waypoints with an extract order causes them to report back that no OC is in the area, and to return to base empty-holded. PerScan shows the 16 marines in the four missing OC's, alive and presumably happy. Their commander is scratching his head.

Getting to the spot on the map where the OC was, wasn't the problem. Problem was, the OC simply plain wasn't there any more. It was gone from the zoom-to-support-craft menu; hovering the mouse over its TLM tab said it was right by its first waypoint, which I was looking directly at in a variety of zoomed-in settings. I swear I'm not making any of this up.

Which makes it all the more head-scratching when today I find I can't reproduce that behavior, using the same exact steps, for the life of me. Transient miniature gremlins poking at my processor's circuits, apparently. Looks like a bizarre but non-issue, anyway, so no worries on my end.

quote:

Originally posted by actrade:

I hate to post something like this, but I'm out of answers SC. After much RTFM, I finally got into actually playing the game quite a bit I've been bopping around here in there with the different RC's, but finally got a chance to play in depth with RC9. All last night, one CTD after another, with no discernible (sp?) pattern, completely random, often without me even touching the keys and usually 10-15 minutes into the game. Tried both roam/campaign, same result. In frustration, I went back to the official patch version 1 (only after complete reinstallation as to avoid random variables) and have since played hours without any problems. Did a reinstall, installed RC9 and back to CTD, once again without touching anything or doing anything in particular. Went back, reistalled, installed patch 1, no problems. Installed RC9 over the top of patch 1 (thought I'd try it to eliminate another variable), CTD after 10-15 minutes. Here's my dilema SC. I don't know if this is unique to RC9 or was introduced in one of the other RC. The only way I see to solve this is to try other RC's and see which one (if any) introduces the CTD. I'm on a 56k modem and it will be awfully time consuming, but I'd like to try it so I can report back to you which RC is causing the problem. RC9 is the likely culprit as I've never CTD before, but as I said, RC9 is the one I've played the most with. I do feel that I played the other RC long enough to see a CTD, but didn't play for hours to verify. Sorry for the rambling post but I wanted to be as clear as possible. BTW, is there anyway to send a crashlog to you? Perhaps this would be easier? I also recently reinstalled WINXP and all my drivers, so they should be rather clean. I also reinstalled my VIA 4-1 drivers. Will attempt the RC9b patch and let you know.

Regards.

RC9b solved the problem. Good job, SC. Stable as a rock.

Hi SC,

I seem to be having a CTD problem specifcally around acessing the Navcomputer when in flight , if i try to change a destination i get a CTD, now if i acsess the Nav computer but do not selct a new destination and click log of no problem , yet when i chage destination and then click log of i get the CTD,(on a trade run from earth to Pluto) strange eh ? ive reproduced this 5 + times, i have the save game if u want it......i have all the latest drivers for my Video card and sound card ........

MR-PARIS

quote:

Originally posted by Mr_Paris:

Hi SC,

I seem to be having a CTD problem specifcally around acessing the Navcomputer when in flight , if i try to change a destination i get a CTD, now if i acsess the Nav computer but do not selct a new destination and click log of no problem , yet when i chage destination and then click log of i get the CTD,(on a trade run from earth to Pluto) strange eh ? ive reproduced this 5 + times, i have the save game if u want it......i have all the latest drivers for my Video card and sound card ........

MR-PARIS

Rats!

I thought I was completely stable, but also had the exact same thing happen to me as Mr. Paris here. It also is reproduceable.

quote:

Originally posted by Mr_Paris:

Hi SC,

MR-PARIS

More Info :-

If u acsess a system like Tacops and then navigate to Navtron Computer and set course then back to tacops u DO NOT get the CTD when u log off from Tacops.....

MR-Paris

I would also like to add my problems here.

I was crashing constantly until the rc5 patch. The game ran fine with that patch. Then when I patched the rc9, the game is crashing constantly now. Every 10 minutes a crash, accessing logistics and trying to fix my craft will make the game crash. Docking and trying to use logistics there will make me crash.

What is this rc9b I saw a few posts up?