Misc Tech Support Issues II

Gallion

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

1.0.02 goes final tonite, so, unless I have a way of accurately 100% reproducing this, its not going in.

You asked me not to mentioned this again unless some one else had the same problem as I did with the TTDs, which I have done by your request. And you mentioned above (in my quote) that you wanted a way to accurately reproduce this, which I may be able to help you with, if you will let me (I wont post the steps unless you say its ok for me to do so)

The steps only takes about 5 mins to go through.

I hope I can help in some way

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Barron Morris:

SC,

Could you please look into this, I have posted about it in numerous places on the forum, and I have read the VCF and do not see it mentioned. If you tell me its not a bug I swear I will speak of it no more. Take any crusier or carier down to planet, land, turn of engine. Go to tack ops and launch shuttle. The result here is it goes to bridge view, with graphic glitch after shuttle is luanched, and I can not return to tac ops untill it is recovered. Sometimes it takes launching a second shuttle but it always happens. I can reproduce it every time, with rc9.

Also, I have talked with others who have reproduced it as well.

If its not in the VCF, it means I can't reproduce it. Now siddown.

And I just tried it again. Works just fine.

quote:

Originally posted by Pery:

Roberto, just post the steps and let another commander try to reproduce it.

If we can, then the SC can take a look; no harm done (beyond the wild goose chase he already pursued).

Thanks perry, I will post them after my lunch as I have to run home to get the steps I wrote out, since I am at work right now.

I will send them as a PM (private message)

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: Roberto ]

After any session playing BCM, my system will successfully return to the desktop, but when I try to shut down, it LOCKS UP the machine and will respond only to a warm reboot and has to run scandisk.

I run EndItAll to delete all non-essential background programs before running BCM.

This instability only happens when I run BCM... Any ideas what could be causing this, or how I can fix it?

512 memory actually is solid in my Win98SE system... I've been doing heavy-duty development on that machine with that much memory for over 6 months, and it's been as solid as a Microsoft product can be , so I don't think it's the memory.

quote:

Originally posted by vogelap:

After any session playing BCM, my system will successfully return to the desktop, but when I try to shut down, it LOCKS UP the machine and will respond only to a warm reboot and has to run scandisk.

I run EndItAll to delete all non-essential background programs before running BCM.

This instability only happens when I run BCM... Any ideas what could be causing this, or how I can fix it?

I used to have WIN98SE and used End It All, and in all cases, when I logged off the computer, the computer hung. The problem is that one of the files that EIA shuts down, is needed to shut your system down normally. I can't remember which one it is, so you'll have to experiment.

But the weird thing is this... Even if I do NOT use EndItAll, my computer still hangs when I try to shutdown after playing BCM.

Here's what I just did, and experienced a crash: Fresh reboot. Close PowerBar, Logitech Wingman Control Panel, SocketWatch, POW! (popup window killer), and my virus programs. Run MaxMem to free up any memory.

Run BCM. SNG, CC career. Play for a while, do some planet scanning in Tacops (that's so cool). Exit the game to desktop.

Try to shutdown. Screen goes black and it sits forever. Strange. And it does it every single time.

quote:

But the weird thing is this... Even if I do NOT use EndItAll, my computer still hangs when I try to shutdown after playing BCM.

Here's what I just did, and experienced a crash: Fresh reboot. Close PowerBar, Logitech Wingman Control Panel, SocketWatch, POW! (popup window killer), and my virus programs. Run MaxMem to free up any memory.

Run BCM. SNG, CC career. Play for a while, do some planet scanning in Tacops (that's so cool). Exit the game to desktop.

Try to shutdown. Screen goes black and it sits forever. Strange. And it does it every single time.

My machine does the same thing.

quote:

Driver problem. Nothing to do with BCM.

Get the most recent drivers for your GF3 and SB Live card.

Then read the FAQ and scale down the hardware acceleration for the audio, video....f!ck it, I'm NOT repeating all the sh*t again.

[ 12-11-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

I'm running the 23.11 video drivers, and the latest (000505) version of my SBLive! drivers, which are dated 8-26-99 on the SBLive! site.

I suspect that the SBLive! drivers are (hopelessly) out of date, but they're the newest on www.soundblaster.com. If anyone has more current drivers for SBLive! under Win98SE, please give me a link!

Re: Roberto's Tacops/planet_observe/TTD issue

I followed Roberto's email and reproduced some odd TTD behavior reliably.

Problem:

when observing a base in a mission zone on a planet, the green outline TTD info filtering changes behavior under certain situations - see below.

To Reproduce:

BCM 1.0.2 RC9

SNG

use defaults: Ter/Mil;Cmdr;GalcomHQ;Earth(s);BCMK3;Roam

Logoff/Logout

optional: turn on autopilot and PTA

Alt-S to Tacops

click to zoom to earth and Observe it

click Mission Zone 8 (earth 22) in upper left/arctic area of map

In this order, left click a city/base, then right click to zoom back out; click next and so on:

1. city 08 at top of map

2. city 03

3. mbase 05

4. city 05

5. city 01

6. mbase 01 (do not right click out of this one)

Note that mbase 01's buildings are not all lit up with TTD info like other base/cities.

However, if you repeat the above from a NewGame and select mbase 01 first, all TTD info will be visible, so something has changed in the TTD filtering.

In the TLM click the RHS top wrench icon to pull

up the Tacops Filter Options and note they are mostly checked as expected.

Click the following filter boxes in various combinations and the TTDs will be variously displayed: GroundObjects, Tactical, Miscellaneous

The reason this is odd is that unchecking Miscellaneous, for instance, causes TTDs to be displayed and checking Miscellaneous causes some TTDs to be hidden - almost like the filter is inverted.

Buildings that are affected by the Miscellaneous filter button in mbase 01: FuelStorage, CommsBldg, LaunchPad, SupplyStation, SolarPlant, Barracks, Command&Control, and one (but not all) of the SupplyDepots.

It is easier to see and play with than to explain.

In some cases while reproducing this with different MZones and bases, all TTDs are sometimes hidden, so the exact filtering changes depending upon the order of base/city selection.

quote:

It is easier to see and play with than to explain.

In some cases while reproducing this with different MZones and bases, all TTDs are sometimes hidden, so the exact filtering changes depending upon the order of base/city selection.

...and this is a bug because?

What'd I miss or am I the only person who doesn't understand this?

quote:

I'm running the 23.11 video drivers, and the latest (000505) version of my SBLive! drivers, which are dated 8-26-99 on the SBLive! site.

I suspect that the SBLive! drivers are (hopelessly) out of date, but they're the newest on
. If anyone has more current drivers for SBLive! under Win98SE, please give me a link!

1. They are the latest Win98 drivers for the SBLive! Value.

2. They were not released in August '99 (the dates on soundblaster.com and creative.com contradict each other). The drivers were released in May 2000, hence the 00-05-05 reference (2000, May, 5). They are the same drivers that came with LiveWare3.0.

3. 000505 is not the version number. Check the EMU10K1 file for the correct number.

Re: why is that a bug?

I can see how the filtering of TTD visibility for conditions like Friend vs. Enemy could change from game to game or over time as alliances changed.

I thought this was a TTD visibility issue because a Miscellaneous or Tactical building should not change state as long as it is intact. I did not see anything in the manual about the definitions of the Tacops Filter Options, so I may very well be misinterpreting this.

I also do not know the full filtering equation and the priority of Miscellaneous vs. the other options, so it could be that some other variable is causing the Miscellaneous option to act as if it were inverted, but that seems like a bit of a stretch.

It may not have been clear in my prior post, but in the "OK" scenario, mbase_01 shows a TTD on the Barracks, and the Miscellaneous filter option has an "X" next to it; unchecking the "X" box causes the Barracks TTD to become invisible. That is what I expect to see.

In the "bug" scenario, mbase_01 does not show a TTD on the Barracks, and the Miscellaneous filter option still has the default "X" next to it; unchecking the "X" box causes the Barracks TTD to become visible. This seems inverted and is an example of what appears to be an inconsistancy.

If that is how TTDs are supposed to behave, then that's fine - I just don't understand the filtering equation (no big surprise there - this darn game is deep) but I can fiddle with the various filter options and get the TTDs turned on one way or another.

I think I found a bug, It's on Planet EORI, Coordinates 23 North 36 West (approximatly) There is a starbase that is under the ground there. Also, I can't remember where the thread is, but that guy that is trying to deploy his troops on the ground (FLAT ground) and it's not working, well I can reproduce it too. I can get marines to deploy but vehicles do not (and yes there is a marine in the vehicle and the vehicle is a ground unit) Also, when you deploy from space, as soon as the shuttle hits the atmosphere it just returns back to the CC with out going to any other waypoints. I suppose we can't deploy from space huh? BTW that issue with the guy who's machine locks up on close only after playing BCM, it's your video driver still using resources in the system and the system can't shut the driver down until it clears them, either the driver needs to be rewritten, or BCM has to be rewrote. I'd go check out nvidia's drivers and use thier reference drivers, you might have more luck with those. I'm using them with my MX-400 by Gainward and it's running more smoothly than before.

RE: Roberto and Perry's problem. I experience the same thing.

I also wanted to ask a question: How are areas processed? If you open up a sene and you are then tracking all the TTD in that area, and then you leave it, do they continue to be tracked, and if so, is there a limit to the ammount that can be tracked?

quote:

I can see how the filtering of TTD visibility for conditions like Friend vs. Enemy could change from game to game or over time as alliances changed.

Nonsense. It doesn't. TTD filtering has nothing to do with alliances.

quote:

I thought this was a TTD visibility issue because a Miscellaneous or Tactical building should not change state as long as it is intact.

Nonsense. There is no such thing as TTD visibility.

quote:

I did not see anything in the manual about the definitions of the Tacops Filter Options, so I may very well be misinterpreting this.

Indeed. See above

quote:

I also do not know the full filtering equation and the priority of Miscellaneous vs. the other options, so it could be that some other variable is causing the Miscellaneous option to act as if it were inverted, but that seems like a bit of a stretch.

Nonsense. There is no equation. TTDs are filtered depending on the settings in the Tacops filter menu. Some target TTDs fall into more than one category. e.g. If you toggle all friendlies off, it will also toggle of ALL of the TTDs, regardless of other filters.

quote:

It may not have been clear in my prior post, but in the "OK" scenario, mbase_01 shows a TTD on the Barracks, and the Miscellaneous filter option has an "X" next to it; unchecking the "X" box causes the Barracks TTD to become invisible. That is what I expect to see.

Yes. See above

quote:

In the "bug" scenario, mbase_01 does not show a TTD on the Barracks, and the Miscellaneous filter option still has the default "X" next to it; unchecking the "X" box causes the Barracks TTD to become visible. This seems inverted and is an example of what appears to be an inconsistancy.

Nonsense. Its not a bug. See above

quote:

If that is how TTDs are supposed to behave, then that's fine - I just don't understand the filtering equation (no big surprise there - this darn game is deep) but I can fiddle with the various filter options and get the TTDs turned on one way or another.

Its nothing to do with the TTD. They are always on, until you start fiddling around with filters.

The Tacops feeds off the ship's Tacscan radar system. And in fp, it feeds off your DIE radar unit. So the filter in the Tacscan can also affect the Tacops TTD and filter. Try putting the Tacscan in SUL mode and going to Tacops to see what I mean.

And you shouldn't be fiddling around with filters you don't understand. Its like opening up your car and trying to figure out where the oil filter is. Then you yank out the distributor cap and wonder why the car won't start.

The reason I enabled the ability to (a) toggle the TTD info and (B) filter the displayed TTD are for decluttering and performance reasons. The TTD is line drawn + text. TT fonts are very expensive. So, the more info the TTD has and more TTDs displayed, the slower the performance - depending on the video card in use.

quote:

Originally posted by Mindglow:

I think I found a bug, It's on Planet EORI, Coordinates 23 North 36 West (approximatly) There is a starbase that is under the ground there.

Save the game and send it in with instructions. If you send in a saved game that does not follow the conventions already described in another thread, I'm going to bury you deeper than that starbase. You have been warned.

quote:

Also, I can't remember where the thread is, but that guy that is trying to deploy his troops on the ground (FLAT ground) and it's not working, well I can reproduce it too.

That was just nonsense. Same here.

quote:

I can get marines to deploy but vehicles do not (and yes there is a marine in the vehicle and the vehicle is a ground unit)

See above.

quote:

Also, when you deploy from space, as soon as the shuttle hits the atmosphere it just returns back to the CC with out going to any other waypoints. I suppose we can't deploy from space huh?

Nonsense. If you don't know how to use waypoints, go read the manual. You'll soon figure out why the shuttle (or a FC) will do an auto-RTB once it hits the waypoint. This is NOT the thread for it. Go over to the newbie forum.

quote:

BTW that issue with the guy who's machine locks up on close only after playing BCM, it's your video driver still using resources in the system and the system can't shut the driver down until it clears them, either the driver needs to be rewritten

Quit stating the obvious. You're just being repetitive and making me have to type this up.

quote:

or BCM has to be rewrote.

Yeah, thats probably it

quote:

Originally posted by Tyrn:

Make sure you've disabled all virus software during install as they are guaranteed to cause problems during the install. If you are paranoid about the cd containing a virus (which it doesn't) scan it before installing and scan your system immediately after. Oh wait, it does contain a mutant strain of the "What day is it?" virus where you suddenly seem to lose days at a time from your life!

PS...the reason virus scanners cause problems is that data.cab is immense and on-access virus scanners (real time scanners) try to read the whole file before allowing your system to interact with it. The delay is so long that the setup program times out. Hence Verify . . . that you can access it

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: Tyrn ]

I'm not running any virus scan software. But thanks.

After seeing the discussion about the hosting problem with the patch, and I remembered something I saw a few weeks ago. It was an open letter on one of the gnutella clients webpage, asking for users to share more legitimate content to make it much harder for governments to bring them down. Why not throw it on gnutella? It's free and worldwide. Just a thought... At the very least, it could easily reduce the pressure on Derek's wallet while trying to host the file....

This has been today's two cents...