Misc Tech Support Issues II

Gallion

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just noticed something. If you exit your CC in FP mode, then re-enter it, your fuel levels (radine, plutonium, iridium) will be reset to the default loadout. The only thing I'm not sure about is wether it happens on leaving the ship or re-entering it.

EDIT: This is just jumping out of the airlock with ALT-E. I don't think it happens when using the transporer, for example.

[ 11-29-2001: Message edited by: Urza ]

Word of warning about the Nvidia 2280 beta drivers.

They seemed to work great with BCM and if you only play BCM then I guess everything is well with them.

They do not work with 90% of the other games though. You will have massive problems using these drivers if you play other games as well.

I just had to switch back to the 21.83 drivers to get all my other games working again. So hopefully BCM still works for me now. I was crashing like crazy in BCM the last time I used them, so we will see....

SC, I looked to see if anyone else had this problem, but I didnt see this mentioned before so I figured I would mention it here.

Its nothing critical, but, I noticed that if you leave your FCs running around in space untill their charge runs out, they are still able to fly!

I was doing some planet ops, and forgot all about them being left in space, so I flew up to see what was going on, and realised they had no charge left. Anyway, I selected return to base, and they fired up their engines, and flew back to me!! First they hyperjumped to my location, then they flew the rest of the way to me.

I know that if they run out of charge, they shouldnt be moving.

Just some thing for you to look at when you get bored.

quote:

Originally posted by Urza:

I just noticed something. If you exit your CC in FP mode, then re-enter it, your fuel levels (radine, plutonium, iridium) will be reset to the default loadout. The only thing I'm not sure about is wether it happens on leaving the ship or re-entering it.

Yeah right. And while you're at, can you be a little more cryptic. I just love brain teasers.

quote:

Originally posted by Roberto:

SC, I looked to see if anyone else had this problem, but I didnt see this mentioned before so I figured I would mention it here.

Its nothing critical, but, I noticed that if you leave your FCs running around in space untill their charge runs out, they are still able to fly!

I was doing some planet ops, and forgot all about them being left in space, so I flew up to see what was going on, and realised they had no charge left. Anyway, I selected return to base, and they fired up their engines, and flew back to me!! First they hyperjumped to my location, then they flew the rest of the way to me.

I know that if they run out of charge, they shouldnt be moving.

Just some thing for you to look at when you get bored.

They have auxiliary power cells

I have a question about my game registration, I registered it from my work today ( address, email etc), but until I get my new system I am forced to use a laptop at home to play the game on.

My question is do you require me to re-register the game when I get my new system (specs) and How will I be able to re-register the same game # now that it is already in your system without being accused of pirating your software. Will a simple uninstall off of the old system/ onto the new one and then re-register accomplish this?

quote:

Originally posted by Oban:

I have a question about my game registration, I registered it from my work today ( address, email etc), but until I get my new system I am forced to use a laptop at home to play the game on.

My question is do you require me to re-register the game when I get my new system (specs) and How will I be able to re-register the same game # now that it is already in your system without being accused of pirating your software. Will a simple uninstall off of the old system/ onto the new one and then re-register accomplish this?

No. You will not be required to re-register. Besides, the new registration DB now allows you to update your profile. I just posted a new announcement about that.

OK, I'll try to be a little more clear this time. If you are in a Commander career, jumping out the airlock with alt-E will reset your fuel mineral levels to the default loadout. In my case, that's 1000 radine, 100 plutonium, and 75 iridium. This is all regardless of what they were before. Theoreticly, if your CC was out of radine, you could hit alt-E and get refueled.

If you want to see what I mean, start a new game as a commander (rase/caste/ship don't matter). Sell all your fuel (of all types). Launch, press alt-E, then immediately turn around and get back in your CC. Your fuel levels will be back to where they started.

EDIT: sig test

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Urza ]

Previously posted by antaren42 in a now deleted thread.

quote:

i've spent days trying to get this game to work.

first off, i am a newbie at this game, i've been reading about it for more then a year and its more then what i expected...a little overwhelming

i would also like to be able to PLAY the game too. i am crashing constantly, and tech support did not offer any new help.

problem:

generaly, game will crash within 10 minutes of starting a game. the longest i have played without a crash was 1 hour and 15 minutes.

system freeze when in tacops viewing the saturn system. although i have been in this system before, it usually crashs within seconds of ariving.

the systems specs are:

500 mhz k6-2

Micronics main using the ali61 chipset

128 pc100 ecc

voodoo 3 3000

creative pci512

win98 first edition

the following solutions have been tried:

-dissabled everything in configuration screan

-updated video, sound, and motherboard drivers

-updated directx, media player, and windows

-specified virtual memory settings to a static ammount

-patched bcm, both version 1.01 and 1.02 beta (only change noticible was significant increase in fps when combat was present)

-included options -nd1, -nd2, -nm on the command line of the shortcut to bcm

-dissabled sound hardware

-dissabled powermanagement

-dissabled all memory resident programs

-tried lowering video acceleration but bcm would crash when executed

-dissabled several bios settings, mainly vidio shadowing, memory timings, and optimizations

-increased ventelation and cooling to cpu, hard drive, and video card

-lowered video gpu clock from 166mhz to 140mhz

-edited video driver options for drictx to lowest visual quality

i've long since run out of ideas. i have consulted the trouble shooting doc, and the only thing tech support said was 'read the troubleshooting doc or talk to the forum.'

please dont suggest "buy new hardware." buying new hardware is not an option i can take. please do not give stupid speculations such as "its your voodoo video card," i'm looking for options and fixes.

thanx for your time, and i hope one of you has some sort of idea as to what the problem might be. i really hope its not the game itself.

Oh bullhonkey... "Duh... hey... look... FAQ... duh... If you have a TNT2... use 1101 or 1048... duh... nah... I have a Riva TNT2... that couldn't be me.... duh" Please forgive my transgression SC. I'll try those drivers later today... at school right now. (Say, you wouldn't be looking for a one man marketing department would you in about 2 years?) hehehe... Well, wish me luck... this is my last hope. After this it goes back... but I will more than likely sell it to my friend to see if it works on his computer. *sigh* At least someone will have a good time with it.

I just captured a hostile station, launced then saved. Thereafter, the game CTD within a minute. This is the first time I've experienced a CTD with any regularity. No matter what I do during the minute, the game always crashes. I can send you the save in question if you wish.

quote:

500 mhz k6-2

Micronics main using the ali61 chipset

128 pc100 ecc

voodoo 3 3000

creative pci512

win98 first edition

quote:

please dont suggest "buy new hardware." buying new hardware is not an option i can take. please do not give stupid speculations such as "its your voodoo video card," i'm looking for options and fixes.

Ok antaren42, where do you want to start?

First - what version of Dx are you running? BCM requires Dx8.1.

Second - you need to upgrade your v-card drivers to a version that supports Dx8.1

Third - update that dated OS at the M$ Update site.

Forth - Read The FAQ Pay particuliar attention to the following areas:

Q. AFTER I INSTALL AND TRY TO PLAY, THE GAME HANGS OR THE VIDEO IS CORRUPT!

... If you have a 3DFX Voodoo 3 video board :

... Known Voodoo 3/4/5 driver issues :

... and Last but not least - If the above fails then upgrade that antiquated video card.

TTFN

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Gallion ]

quote:

Originally posted by Urza:

I just captured a hostile station, launced then saved. Thereafter, the game CTD within a minute. This is the first time I've experienced a CTD with any regularity. No matter what I do during the minute, the game always crashes. I can send you the save in question if you wish.

Send to [email protected]

I get the following error message from time to time. It accures right after I launch the game.

BCM caused an invalid page fault in

module at 0000:b00dc170.

Registers:

EAX=e6308000 CS=015f EIP=b00dc170 EFLGS=00010286

EBX=00000004 SS=0167 ESP=00dbe8f8 EBP=00db8912

ECX=00000946 DS=0167 ESI=e62f8900 FS=0157

EDX=00dbe8f0 ES=0167 EDI=e63011f7 GS=0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:

Stack dump:

00000f59 00000357 0000fbbe 80784dc0 01671fef 80000000 892ce630 03570f90 00000946 00000004 b00dc170 0000015f e62ff000 2605896e 09460357 f0000000

I assume it has somthing to do with my sound card as it has EAX near the top. Other then that I have no idea what this is.

I also CTD regularly.

This is what I’ve done to try and get the game to run.

1. I Updated my video drivers to 22.80

2. I made sure I had the latest Sound drivers. I have an update tool for my sound card that checks for updates. It comes back with “No new updates available”.

3. I installed DX 8.1 from the Microsoft web site. At least 3 time now.

4. I downloaded and installed Media player 7.1

5. I down loaded and installed the latest mouseware drivers for my Logitech gaming mouse.

6. I installed the game (BCM). I have the same trouble if I run the 1.000, or the 1.001 w/navfile.

7. I then downloaded and installed the 1.002 beta patch.

8. I then go into the game without changing anything in the config menu.

9. I choose Terran/Trader/default start point/default ship.

10. After I logout, the game loads and IM treated to a view of my ship in space (cool as hell) I then find myself on the bridge.

11. I then go to the navcom computer and pick a planet nearby without leaving Earth Zone, then return to the bridge and set the ship to auto pilot. ZOOOOOOOOOOM I fly to the jumpgate, and pass through. At this point I get a message “Receiving data.”

12. Crash here! (CTD) 3 out of 4 times.

13. I tried adding –W at the end of the BCM.exe line of the desktop shortcut to run the game in a window. That time I made it about 2 min past the “receiving data” message before I CTD. This may have just been a coincidence.

I have only played this game for 5 to 10 min at a time before I CTD. I know I’ll love this game!

I have never put this much effort into getting a game to work. But this looks to be a special game deserving the effort. I hope I’ve given enough info here.

One last thing…where do I go to register? I see posts where people say they had to enter the CD key. I have a CD key, but have not been prompted to enter it yet?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Mitch.

VERY sorry if this has already been posted, but I've looked over this thread and it doesn't seem to have this issue.

It's extremely repeatable. I've tried it three times; my ship is in chaos, full of intruders, taking damage from them. I'm approaching a station so I can repair and get these darned intruders nabbed. I dock on the station (my save game has my ship RIGHT outside the station, you just have to hit yer ALT-D to dock), and when I click "Login", crash to desktop.

I have applied the patch. I'm not using my old save games -- in fact, this happened after playing for many hours. And I did reboot after the crash; I still get the problem, every time I try.

My system:

Athlon 4 (AKA "XP") 1.2GHz

256 M of RAM

GeForce 3 (VisionTek, detonator "XP" drivers)

DirectX 8.1

SoundBlaster 512

Win98 SE

Thanks a lot, and again, sorry if this is already posted somewhere...!

Steve Conley

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Steve Conley ]

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Conley:

VERY sorry if this has already been posted, but I've looked over this thread and it doesn't seem to have this issue.

Bad install. Read my previous message

ANYTIME you see something like what you and the previous person posted, it is a bad install or driver problem. Going from the 3D world (flying) to the 2D world (docking) is a switch handled by the driver. If you have a crash, it could be the video driver problem or a bad install (e.g. a missing docking image).

Also, a lot of people claim that the 2280 drivers have problems. I use them under WIN2K without any problems. But, I can deal with problems since those are developer only drivers, leaked to the public by some gits. As such, I do not recommend any leaked drivers. Try the official WHQL drivers and work your way up.

btw, go and register the game

[ 11-30-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Okay, I'll follow the instructions in the link you gave me. Though I did see the station image, which is why I thought maybe it was something new :-)

And I did register! >:-( You've been so helpful, it's the least I could do. I'll try again if it didn't stick for some reason.

Thanks for the help!

P.S. I think I figured why you didn't see my registration ... it's under my full name, "Stephen Conley". :-)

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Conley:

P.S. I think I figured why you didn't see my registration ... it's under my full name, "Stephen Conley". :-)

Not really. Its because I didn't see it in your sig.