Misc Tech Support Issues II

Gallion

I have released 1.0.02 RC5. Try that. Read my latest announcement first.

I suspect that some problem may have cropped up between 1.0.01 versions which may have compromised the stability of restored saved games (even if the resume or restore worked without incident) by people using those games from the Gold version or the 1.0.01 Beta versions.

So, just to be safe, before 1.0.02 goes final (hopefully tomorrow), now that it has enough fixes (though the persistent damagefx remains elusive) I need everyone to start using it. The saved games from the final version will be backward compatible with RC5.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alrighty. I just installed the 1.0.02 RC5 patch, and got a very strange problem. I started a new game as a Gammulan Stormcarrier, and after upgrading, jumped out of Canaan to Midae. When I arrived in Midae, I went to set a hyperspace course to Arima, but noticed something odd. According to the jump points I was given in the CC orders menu, I was still located in the Canaan system but when I checked the planet in the system and the LOC on the left hand side, it was Midae. Attempting to use any of the jump points caused the game to freeze up. First time that's ever happened.

I posted earlier about not being able to get off otura-6 with out ctd...I tried several diff aproaches but in the end I restored from a previous save about 30 min earlier game time..and I left the planet with out a hitch..Im tossing that one up to a bad save or something..could not send saved game cause as soon as I reached space I preformed quick save out of habit..replacing the one that did the ctd.

However..as for the other issue..I read the Manual again (about the probes) and I cant find anything to explain why when I view planets in the Aplha Cygni System from Otura-6 in the Omega Centauri system with my probe, all race/mission zones are the same as the ones on Otura-6..not to mention my ship showing on the surface of each planet as well..Im scaning the Alpha Cygni system for Falkerie and there is not a single Falkerie asset showing up in the Aipha Cyngi System. here are the shots from my probe.

not trying to be a pain..I may be missing something quite obvious, I dont know..Im on day 4 of a 17 hour a day BC marathon

I started to try the rc5 patch but my crew swore mutany on me if I did anything to the saved game files before the the ship exploaded or I kicked the bucket.

RC5 patch is the latest available. Do not post problems regarding obsolete patches (pre RC5).

Losing savegame files after the SC releases a patch is nothing new to the BC Series, new patch = zero (0) savegames from previous version Gotta learn to deal with the price of progress and kick-ass support from the dev

TTFN

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: Barron Morris ]

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: Gallion ]

Hey folks;

Sorry it took so long to send my save out. I'll see if I can replicate my problem on the new version. It looks like it happens when there's more intruders than prisoner slots on your ship when you dock on a station and click Login.

My ship can only hold 5 prisoners ... if I have 6 or more intruders, it causes the crash. Any less, and I don't crash.

I'll see if the error is in 1.00.2 and let you guys know.

Steve Conley

I have two issues for you to look at SC. One is only minor since its hard to find anyway, and one I see as major since it effects the game when your doing ground ops(in my opinion anyway..)

1.. Some misson zones contain naval bases which are on land, and so when you zoom in to them, they appear to be sinking in to the ground. Ive seen this so far on 2 planets, and been able to jot down the location of one on earth.

TER/EAR - Misson zone 205 (earth246) - nbase02

Hope that location helps. I checked it twice to be sure it wasnt just a glitch. Ive seen quite a few naval bases in the same situation (in the ground) I will try and find as many as i can sometime tomorrow when I get home from work.

2.. Im hoping this isnt my system, but, if you start a game from scratch as roam, using the default settings displayed when you select a new game (other than naming your AE). After launching, go to tacops, zoom in to earth and observe the planet so you can see all the mision zones. Now, at random, look at diffrent mision zones, and on each one, zoom in to the bases, so you end up looking at at least 10 DIFFRENT bases(not the same, this part is important).

I found that after looking at 7 diffrent bases, the info (not sure what you call it...) that is displayed over each object (name, shield etc..) no longer appears! This had diffrent results each time I did this, but it always landed inbetween the 7th and the 10th base I looked at. As you progress, you will see that they all look ok to start with, then you see that some of the objects have no info, and some do, then the next base you look at has no info at all, along with every other base you then look at after it.

This problem I noticed a while back when my AE and marines where not showing any info in tacops, and this explain how it happened (if you transport things down to the planet after the info dissapears, then anything else you transport down also doesnt contain any info).

Im hoping that this post isnt too confusing in its description (Im half asleep right now). If you need me to be more descriptive, and give you a step by step guide on what I did to re-create this, let me know, and I will jot down each base I click on so you can see for your self.

Oh by the way, Im using the 1.02 RC4 patch.

I tried to down load the RC5, each time I did, it was the same RC4 patch for some reason (info displayed in the game said "Dec 3 RC4")

[ 12-03-2001: Message edited by: Roberto ]

quote:

RC5 patch is the latest available. Do not post
problems
regarding obsolete patches (pre RC5).

Losing savegame files after the SC releases a patch is nothing new to the BC Series, new patch = zero (0) savegames from previous version Gotta learn to deal with the price of progress and kick-ass support from the dev

Well ok I was going to hold off on applying the new rc5, cause Im realy enjoying the game and spent 4 days geting my AI built up. However I will not be a stick in the mud. I will download the rc5 and install when I get home from work. Then I shall launch a Probe and see if the results are diff. Who knows, could you at least tell me if my experience with the probe and data it has sent back is normal?

If you are going to quote someone then use the quote tages

TTFN

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Barron Morris ]

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Gallion ]

quote:

However..as for the other issue..I read the Manual again (about the probes) and I cant find anything to explain why when I view planets in the Aplha Cygni System from Otura-6 in the Omega Centauri system with my probe, all race/mission zones are the same as the ones on Otura-6..not to mention my ship showing on the surface of each planet as well..Im scaning the Alpha Cygni system for Falkerie and there is not a single Falkerie asset showing up in the Aipha Cyngi System. here are the shots from my probe.

I know this hasn't sunk in yet and thats it going to take a while before it does - but until you actually provide steps of WHAT you are doing and WHY you think it is a problem, we're just going to keep ignoring you. Nobody has time for chasing shadows. Least of all me.

Sorry..not trying to make anyone chase shadows. I thought I made it clear what I was doing..In my prev 2 post...but here it is...luanch probe to Cygni system from Omega Centauri system..land on Otura-6 view Cygni system from probe in tac opps..observe each planet in that system(Cygni).

Each moon or planet in the Cygni system has the same race/mission zones. All gammulan valkerie and one terran..in the exact same place they are located on otura-6 in the Omega Centauri system. Also my ship shows on all of the planets in the Cygni system as well (when that system is viewed from the probe via tac ops computer). here is a link to what I saw in the tac opps computer when I viewed the Cygni System from outura 6 in the omega centauri system system.

This is the last that I will post on the matter

I do not want to badger tech support about an issue no one else seems to have..I feel if it is trully an issue someone else will post about it at a later time..and Ill just sit back and follow what ever comes of it.

sorry to clarify- the probe is in the Cygni system at LV-105, when I refer to planets I mean the 2 moons and the planet LV-105

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Barron Morris ]

HI SC and others...

Apllied the new patch (1.0.02 RC5) cant actually see if i get the CTD with the marines/login now as after aprox 15 to 20 min when activating a key combo (like alt-L for logistics) i get a CTD , yet i left BCM runing over night parked in orbit , and didnt have a CTD at all.......

Mr_Paris

quote:

Originally posted by Mr_Paris:

HI SC and others...

Apllied the new patch (1.0.02 RC5) cant actually see if i get the CTD with the marines/login now as after aprox 15 to 20 min when activating a key combo (like alt-L for logistics) i get a CTD , yet i left BCM runing over night parked in orbit , and didnt have a CTD at all.......

Mr_Paris

There's no reason why ALT+L would cause a crash. All its doing is activating a system. So, again, get the latest video drivers for your card.

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Conley:

Hey folks;

Sorry it took so long to send my save out. I'll see if I can replicate my problem on the new version. It looks like it happens when there's more intruders than prisoner slots on your ship when you dock on a station and click Login.

My ship can only hold 5 prisoners ... if I have 6 or more intruders, it causes the crash. Any less, and I don't crash.

I'll see if the error is in 1.00.2 and let you guys know.

Steve Conley

Confirmed bug Steve. The additional info you provided helped greatly. Seems like you are catching on fast. Thats a very good sign and hopefully the rest of the noobs will follow suit.

Fixed.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

1. I will look into it

2. Don't have a clue what you're talking about

As for the patch, if you don't apply it properly. Well then....

I will attempt it again tonight. If the second problem still exists after doing a fresh install (just to be sure nothing is messed up) I will try and explain the problem better as I didnÔÇÖt make my previous description clear enough

quote:

Originally posted by Nesborn:

Alrighty. I just installed the 1.0.02 RC5 patch, and got a very strange problem. I started a new game as a Gammulan Stormcarrier, and after upgrading, jumped out of Canaan to Midae. When I arrived in Midae, I went to set a hyperspace course to Arima, but noticed something odd. According to the jump points I was given in the CC orders menu, I was still located in the Canaan system but when I checked the planet in the system and the LOC on the left hand side, it was Midae. Attempting to use any of the jump points caused the game to freeze up. First time that's ever happened.

Unable to reproduce. I just started in Canaan, jumped to Midae and then onto to each of the sub regions in Midae and back to Canaan. All without any problems.

Are you SURE you applied the patch properly and that you're not using a saved game?

quote:

There's no reason why ALT+L would cause a crash. All its doing is activating a system. So, again, get the latest video drivers for your card.

I have the latest Video drivers they were released yesterday ......strange though i have been playing for about 1 hour now with no CTD...........although this is with a new game profile...

Mr-Paris

Nope, I installed the patch correctly. I just restarted from Canaan again and went to Midae without any problems this time. Guess it was just some weird fluke. Oh well, thanks anyway.

Edit: Also, earlier today I installed the latest VIA 4in1 drivers, and got an upgraded Det driver (not the latest 23.11, due to the disabling of some features I like to have on). The constant, crippling crashes I reported on getting after about half an hour of play seems to be gone. About 3 hours of play in one game so far, and only 1 CTD and 1 freezeup (Just random I guess).

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Nesborn ]

I have two small issues that I'm seeking some advice on.

1. I have encountered an intermittent crash that's very similar to (if not the same as) one of Taran's issues (page 4 of this thread). It involves the game crashing at two different points during startup (after the Safedisk check and after the logo animation). The error messages look like this:

BCM caused an invalid page fault in

module at 0000:65351397.

Registers:

EAX=002a001d CS=015f EIP=65351397 EFLGS=00010206

EBX=00000000 SS=0167 ESP=00dcf800 EBP=00dcf830

ECX=c17190d0 DS=0167 ESI=00bb174c FS=10bf

EDX=81938868 ES=0167 EDI=653c7b10 GS=0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:

Stack dump:

00000000 00bb18a8 653512f1 00000000 00000000 6534e4b0 653512cf 7ff6f0e2 653c79b0 00dcf850 00000000 00ba61a8 00dcf854 7ff4cfbb 00000000 020d8207

I tried re-installing the game from scratch, but the crashes still occur.

I did notice something strange as I explored the issue: the crashes seem to occur in a very specific sequence. I tried running the game six times, rebooting the system, and repeating. This is the sequence that occurs every time:

1st run: Crashes after logo animation.

2nd run: No crash.

3rd run: Crashes after logo animation.

4th run: No crash.

5th run: Crashes after Safedisk check.

6th run: Crashes after Safedisk check.

I discovered a partial solution in disabling the logo animation using the -n shortcut parameter. It did not fix the problem, but it did make the problem less annoying by changing the sequence so that I wouldn't need to run the game twice to get it working. Here is the new sequence:

1st run: No crash.

2nd run: No crash.

3rd run: Crashes after Safedisk check.

4th run: Crashes after Safedisk check.

5th run: Crashes after Safedisk check.

6th run: Crashes after Safedisk check.

Any idea what's causing this pattern?

2. I have also noticed that every time I run the game, Windows Setup updates configuration files on the next reboot. Should I be concerned or is this normal?

quote:

Originally posted by Menchise:

1. Any idea what's causing this pattern?

2. I have also noticed that every time I run the game, Windows Setup updates configuration files on the next reboot. Should I be concerned or is this normal?

1. Nope. Sounds like your system config is trashed

2. See #1

quote:

If you for one minute think that BCM will run at 60fps at 1280x1024 in 32bit mode on a P3 866, what have you been smoking? And do you have any left?

And please explain to me what tweaks you do, which cause you to boot the system 10 times. I'd like to know what it is you're doing.

Ok, first of all, I have NEVER ran BCM higher then 800x600 @32bit. I am currently *trying* to run it in 800x600 @16bit. All I said was that my system can handle 1280x1024 easy for most games. If I drop any lower then 800x600 @16bit for BCM I mide as well be playing an Atari game (it locks up at 640x480 anyways too). I have a GeForce2 GTS 64MB DDR for god sakes. A P3 866MHz with 256MB of RAM. Not some 300MHz, 64MB RAM, Voodoo 2 POS. Trust me when I say I can run most games at extremely high resolutions. But as for BCM I have never went above 800x600.

Second off, as for changing system settings, hardware/sound acceleration, reinstalling video drivers, reinstalling sound drivers, disbaling TSR's, changing desktop resolutions, playing around with video BIOS and whatever else needs to be done, your telling me all of this can't take up to 10 reboots or even more? Well it sure does.

Listen, all I want is for BCM to work. I paid 50 bucks plus tax for this game and it happens to be the only game in the history of every other game that freezes up constantly for no apparent reason. Do you actualy expect people to cater their system settings for 1 single game when they happen to have 30+ other games loaded up on their system!? I hate to break it to you but BCM is NOT the only game there is. There are thousands upon thousands of PC games out there and most run flawlessly on my system. You need to take into account that people play other games. Lowering graphic/sound acceleration is a huge NONO for ANY game. Why is it BCM is the only game in the world that has problems with the SBlive? 99.9% of every system comes with one. It happens to be THE most prominent sound card ever created. Trust me when I say theyre not the ones with a driver problem.

I don't want to hear how "advanced" BCM is either Soback, so stay out of it and mind your own business please.

On a side note, I just downloaded the brand new official Detonator drivers and the new RC6 of BCM. So I will try these out and see what happens. I'll keep the TSR's turned off, but I'm not gonna lower the graphics/sound acceleration anymore cause that just isnt an option. If BCM freezes up on me after this, well, I dont know what to say except for that its BCM thats the problem, not my system, not my drivers.

All I can say is you little ignorant noob. With this attitude you will be lucky not to be booted from here let alone someone taking their time to help you.

If SC will decide to help you then consider yourself lucky and him very generous. As for getting help with anything else besides runing the game I don't think that forum members would take kindly to you. All it takes is a little respect and different attitude. You behave like SC owes you a million and so is everyone else. Learn to be polite and you would get help and people here would actually care about your problems as for now --> read my first paragraph again.

Sorry Soback, but I was being polite. This is a serious technical issue with BCM here for me. I did not once blame anybody for anything, did not use any vulgar language, did not do anything except state the facts. I'm a customer, plain and simple. BCM freezes up on me constantly and I need answers.

You wanted to flame me for one of my earlier posts telling me to leave and get off the boards for no reason, well I told you to stay out of it this time (and I even said PLEASE). Look whose the ignorant one here buddy. You should have been warned LONG ago for flaming people and giving them ignorant statements, especially on this particular forum.

This is about BCM and the constant lockup problem I'm having. So I'm going to say please stay out of this one more time, Im giving you the benefit of the doubt here and will continue to act courteous.

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Zuul ]

It wasn't your language, but your attitude. Also, BCM doesn't have problems that you stated in your posts, it's a conflict between your system and BCM, and I can prove that because it runs fine on my computer and on many others. The reason I am baring down on you is because you sound like it's BCMs not your system is responsible for all the problems you have. Also I am not sucking up to SC, I take the things you say about BCM personally just because it means that much to me.

Also let me explain something. You keep stating that a thousand games run fine on your computer but BCM has problems. Well, let me explain this, all the computers are configured differently, they have different settings, different hardware/software installed so it's not the developers responsibility to make their product work on your exact machine, it would be just impossible. A developer can make sure that the product works on general machine with general settings, he can't take into account your exact system configuration so it falls onto you to make sure your system can run it. As for other games running with little or no adjustments, well, they are not BCM and that's that. So quit it. Stop saying how it just sucks that you have to reboot 10 times and reconfigure so that you can play only this one game and then change everything back. Where else have you seen such posts? Other people have problems with some crashes and some other things but you are the only one who has to go through some absurd ammount of trouble so it's clear that your machine is drastically different and that being the case don't bash BCM for not working right.

Well I'm sorry if it "sounded" like I had an attitude. These are posts we are writing here. Theres usualy only two definitive emotions behind a letter, and thats caps lock or not. So I will say it wasnt intentional if it sounded like I had an attitude, but I do have a very valid reason to be upset.

And I understand BCM means a lot to you, especialy now. Thats cool, and I respect that.

As for my lockup issues, well I understand that you may not be having them, but I am, and so are several others judging by this thread alone. And honestly, I'd be having problems with other programs/games if it actualy was "just" my system causing this. I can go through a huge list of other games I play and they are just as complex as BCM if not more complex in the graphics/sound department. SC made this game, so he should understand more then anyone why it freezes up unlike every other game to date.

Ok, now we can talk on the same page. First thing is register the game and post a link to your "System Profile Info" in your signature so that SC can help you. Then when SC reads your problem in the morning my guess is he will try to recreate the things you are talking about and post his findings here. Also update your game to the latest patch, I believe it's RC6, you can check on that in the other thread, "IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTS" section "BCM V1.0.02 Release Candidate" thread. Do a clean reinstall of BCM, delete all of the saved game (if the patch doesn't do it) don't use your backed up saves. And just wait till the morning when SC himself can help. Good night.