Misc Tech Support Issues III

Supreme Cmdr

Thanks Charles - but the issue is now rendered completely moot.

I have just bought a brand spanking new PNY Verto GeForce3 64MB Ti 200. This card is so hot the box is smokin'. Wanted the Ti 500 but they weren't in stock. I'm still at work and ABSOLUTELY CANNOT WAIT TO GET HOME AND PLAY.

Will keep you posted!

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm new here, just got BCM a few days ago, and I'm already pulling all my hair out.

I have the most bizzare bug. I believe it has to do with my system but I spent all day today and yesterday updating all of my drivers, and for the life of me I can't figure out whats wrong! Looks great, if only I could play it. Here's the rundown on whats going on:

On my primary system (Pentium 1.7ghz, geforce2, 512ram, windowsME) I am unable to enter hyperspace. Despite doing exactly what it says in the manual, and then after the tenth time, pressing buttons randomly, it points in the direction of the destination, has the particle effects around the ship, and then just...sits there. The ship's graphics become weird, like a bug where I can see through them partially but the thing is I'm completely stuck. No hyperspace, no regular engine movement, nothing. The game isn't frozen, but things run down rather quickly.

On the other system, I can hyperspace just fine (huge sigh of relief! I was doing it right, it just didn't work for some bizzare reason) however the system is very unstable. As this comp is not mine, however, I cannot change around the configuation of it.

I'm new here, as I said, but I have read the manual a half dozen times, read everything I can get my hands on, looked over this message board, on the BCM site, and everywhere else. I have Windows Media Player 7, DirectX 8.1, video drivers dated on 11-29-2001, and yet I still get this bug.

Quick system rundown:

Pentium 1.7ghz

WinME (all updates installed)

Win Media Player 7

DirectX 8.1

GeForce2 MX/MX 400, current drivers

Creative Audio PCI, drivers dated 06/08/2001

I'm not all that familiar with my system as I simply picked it up as a package deal, but over the last few days I've been going over it with all the included paperwork, and peeked inside the system, and I'm starting to get the hang of all this. Actually, the strict system requirements made me realize that my system is really screwed, so I went through and straightened out all of the conflicts I could fine.

What other info should I post? I dont have the slightest idea how to even begin going about fixing this...shouldn't a bad video driver or something just crash the game instead of merely disabling the most important feature of it? The entire space genre is based on faster than light travel, and with all FTL travel disabled, it would take a veeeeerrrrrryyy long time to get places.

Oh, one more thing I've found about this bizzare problem:

If I try to hyperspace, nothing happens. Then if I save and exit the game, restart, and load up that game...hey, it works! I'm now cruising along just like I should. However, if I try to jump again after the first jump is complete, I need to save and restart in order to complete that jump.

Yes, the engines are charged, yes, I have fuel, and yes, the autopilot is engaged. The engines fire up, I get particle effects, and just before it would jump, everything shuts down and stays dead. Even NPC ships are effected.

EDIT

I'm running without any BCM patches, and again, I have no idea where to even start on this problem. I'm guessing it might have to do with the video setup, though I've double and triple checked all of those settings. Could it possibly be the sound card? I've uninstalled and reinstalled everything several times to no avail and disabled all background tasks except for windows itself.

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: Fox ]

1. Before anybody responds, add your system info to your sig

2. If you're not running the latest 1.0.04 RC1 patch nobody is going to respond because everyone is assumed to be running the latest version of the game. So, apply both the 1.0.03 and 1.0.04 RC1 patches and come back.

3. Its nothing to do with the game. It is definitely a video driver problem. So, upgrade your drivers (saying you have the latest, doesn't mean much around here. Provide the ver number).

[ 12-27-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Sorry for the double post, but there was no indication it was read on the other topic (not even to insult the post), and the VCF hasnt shown anything relating to the problem.

Ok, here are two problems I found

I slammed my firestorm into the surface of a planet after launching all my shuttles, and was heavily damaged. I got out of the ship in FP mode, and ordered a shuttle to land near me. It landed. I walk up to the shuttle and I end up being able to walk through the front half of the ship, and am unable to land on top of it with my jetpack. I get into the shuttle fine with that board/dock/get into command, then I try flying my shuttle into the firestorm. I keep flying straight through it, no damage to either ship. I flew every way possible through the firestorm, through every area, almost every angle, and there is NO collision with ANYTHING or damage. Sorta ruined the realistic aspect of the game. Can ya fix it? I was on Polaris II (in case you need help reproducing it)

Hey capn Dread,

When you collide do you take damage?? When it happens that is. I've noticed that whenever I take any craft and crash into a Space Station (GalcomHq in particular) I bounce off w/ no damage. Is that supposed to happen. Would make for some interesting MP Tactics. I've actually had a shuttle (AI pilot) get stuck between braces on a station bouncing back and forth like a Super Ball. Stayed there till the station Moved outta the way.

The damage is propagated on the entire ship. You do take damage but it will depend on your speed of impact. If the damage is too small, you won't see a change. And if you have shields and armor, why would you take damage?

You guys do know who about shields and armor, right? right? If not, go read the manual and quit spamming my threads.

quote:

Originally posted by Captain Dread:

Ok, here are two problems I found

I slammed my firestorm into the surface of a planet after launching all my shuttles, and was heavily damaged. I got out of the ship in FP mode, and ordered a shuttle to land near me. It landed. I walk up to the shuttle and I end up being able to walk through the front half of the ship, and am unable to land on top of it with my jetpack. I get into the shuttle fine with that board/dock/get into command, then I try flying my shuttle into the firestorm. I keep flying straight through it, no damage to either ship. I flew every way possible through the firestorm, through every area, almost every angle, and there is NO collision with ANYTHING or damage. Sorta ruined the realistic aspect of the game. Can ya fix it? I was on Polaris II (in case you need help reproducing it)

Works fine here

And I can't fix what I cannot reproduce. So please don't ask me to fix anything. I have my own priorities and they have nothing to do with yours.

And if something like that ruins your impression of the realistic aspect - don't do it. Simple I think.

ps: The next person to post in these threads when not running the current version of the game is getting (a) the post deleted (B) banned from the site.

I guess everyone seems to be forgetting my LOW TOLERANCE rules. Take my advice. Don't.

[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Uhh Oh yeah..Shields. Good point. Still good fighter tactic.

Another issue/question. In version 1.0.02 The SFM Jetpack thingy was patched. But on my system it never worked for SFM's but did work for the AE.

I upgraded to the 1.0.03 and same thing. AE has the JetPack X looking thing in space. And other SFM's have the 1/2 AE Model Jetpack.

Recently upgraded to 1.0.04RC1 and same thing.

Before each upgrade I Uninstall, download patch reinstall, apply patch (yes I applied .03 followed by 04RC1 on the same install.

I've noticed this with both A new Commander game and the SFM Instant action.

Is this a problem with my system or is something missed?

My system stats have recently changed...Windows XP w/512mb Ram..all else the same. I'll change that soon as I find the instructions in the forum somewhere.

quote:

Originally posted by Skeletun:

Another issue/question. In version 1.0.02 The SFM Jetpack thingy was patched. But on my system it never worked for SFM's but did work for the AE.

I upgraded to the 1.0.03 and same thing. AE has the JetPack X looking thing in space. And other SFM's have the 1/2 AE Model Jetpack.

Recently upgraded to 1.0.04RC1 and same thing.

Before each upgrade I Uninstall, download patch reinstall, apply patch (yes I applied .03 followed by 04RC1 on the same install.

I've noticed this with both A new Commander game and the SFM Instant action.

Is this a problem with my system or is something missed?

My system stats have recently changed...Windows XP w/512mb Ram..all else the same. I'll change that soon as I find the instructions in the forum somewhere.

Reproduced in the TA SFM scenario. Seems to be something with that script.

Am on it. Thanks!

Hi, noob here again.

I'm patched up with the current BCM version (1.04) and I have all of the current GeForce2 MX drivers (v23.11), and I even checked my video card physically, and it looks okay to me, all connected properly, though I couldn't tell if I've got a bad chip, yet I'm still having that utterly bizzare problem.

**quick recap of problem:

Whenever I, or any NPC ship, tries to hyperjump, nothing happens. There's the particle animation as it begins to jump, the ship becomes transparent, and then nothing happens. The game isn't frozen; I can still do whatever I want, but the ship seems to be in pre hyperjump limbo, as if the engines just didn't quite catch. If I save the game at that point, exit, then reload that game, everything works just great. But then if anything else that wasn't currently trying to hyperspace tries to hyperspace after I've reloaded, they hang again.

I'm not doing anything wrong command wise; I know how to use the controls and I've read the manual cover to cover half a dozen times, and all of the game settings are default.

I'm tried running with the -wa2 option at the end of the command line and without it, and right now in my computer settings I've got graphics deacceloration at the second to minimum bar, as its helped with some other graphics related desktop crashes.

At this point, I'd be quite willing to hire an exorcist.

[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: Fox ]

Driver problem. Nothing I can do about it. Either use Detonator Destroyer and remove the nVidia driver and re-install it or just try previous drivers.

And why is this in here? There is a video thread.

And if you go fiddling around with settings (e.g. getting rid of your hardware acceleration altogether, as you state), you are on your own. The FAQ does NOT tell you do to that.

So, you had better uninstall and start from scratch, as indicated in that other tech support topic showing you how to do that.

[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

And further, just because they have parts, doesn't mean they're going to give it to you.

Odd. Well it's not a bug then. Just strikes me as odd in that playing a Military career at one of my own side's bases if your system is at 0% rather than 1% they won't provide parts.

I'm able to reliably reproduce Epsilon5's cargo manifest CTD issue on the 2nd page. I reproduced this in 1003 first, but 1004 RC1 is no exception.

The trick is there's something missing in SC's recap of the procedure. The drone not being on the shuttle is the culprit somehow.

The folowing steps are the exact procedure:

Start default commander career (Terran/Mil/bcmk3/GalcomHQ), just enter name and accept.

Log off and launch from station.

Order AE to SC1.

Remove drone 1 from SC1

Launch shuttle as AE arrives

Fly to GalcomHQ and dock.

Log on and see the logistix page appear.

Press the cargo button and then HD thrashes for a moment with resulting a CTD or my system hangs.

I am not sure if the repair page/button has anything to do with it. But maybe it affects the chance of being a CTD versus hang. As I had 3 consecutive CTDs first. Nevertheless, both bad endresults.

A second shuttle cargo related thing: I noticed the VCF mentioning something about the 5th fixed issue of version 1003. It's the following right?

quote:

FIXED: Under certain circumstances, the cargo bay size in Logistix was not being accurately updated

Well, if you leave the mining drone in the shuttle, and then dock to a station, you get this. It seems the CC's max cargobay size is mistaken for the shuttle. 7500. And also, there are two notches lit on the miningdrone indicator. While it should be empty. Don't know if it is directly involved or not, or even correctly interpreted. Just wanted to mention that.

Lastly, not a bug or anything, but there is no way to tell on the shuttle's cockpit (or any system) which or even IF there is a drone onboard. (neither for OC) Could we get a remmedy for that. Perhaps like the number on the shuttle icon at the bottomright of the shuttle cockpit. This doesn't qualify for a wishlist item, does it?

Like I have heard someone else say to you on the forum. Please hold off on an early full 1004 patch. I've got a few issues from 1003 that could be considered a bug. Quite a handfull actually. But I have yet to reproduce them in 1004RC1. Still, VCF doesn't mention anything related, so I'm very positive about their existance. Will keep you posted.

[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: Rico Jansen ]

quote:

So what you're saying is that if you dock at a station in order to do repairs while flying a shuttle, and you then click the cargo button, it will CTD?

This is what I had in mind. The missing drone is an obscure fact. But it was the missing link.

[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: Rico Jansen ]

quote:

Originally posted by Brian1:

Odd. Well it's not a bug then. Just strikes me as odd in that playing a Military career at one of my own side's bases if your system is at 0% rather than 1% they won't provide parts.

It has nothing to do with the integrity of the system. Have you not been paying attention?

Sorry SC, it is me again. I am going to give you a better definition of what Paradox was trying to tell you in the Fix This thread. When I play the game, I play in Roam. I leave the game on when I am at work and sleeping. I save it when I get online or have something else to do. So the point with that is I get days into the game. I have noticed that the longer the game runs, the less time the game will run constant without a CTD. My current game is dated 04/10/3010. 6 days into the game. One of my saved games crashes in a couple of hours and another one that crashes in about 10 minutes of running. It was driving me nuts. I tried all the normal things, reinstalling the game, latest update (version 1.0.0.3 to 1.0.0.4 RC1) and shutting off options in the config of the game. I decided to try a new game to see if it would run. The new game ran for around 12 hours before I shut it down. I then started loading older saves of the crashing saved game. The older the save the longer it would run. It has happened before with other game saves but I though it had to do with updating the game to the newest version so I always started a new game. I of course have saved games for a example.

quote:

The game is not designed to be played in an external cam view (F9) (its not a third-person game), thats why the mouse is disabled in that view. In fact, from an F9 view, you will notice that NONE of the mouse commands (e.g. button1 for fire, button2 for move forward etc), work.

It is a first person perspective game and all those external camera views are just that: external camera views.

A bit late, but what I meant was that the game would be locked up. Not crash-wise, but I wasn't able to click on the menu nor was I able to use any keyboard commands (since those were disabled).

I've been visiting family and friends lately, though, so I haven't been testing it.

(In any case, the tried and true solution: "don't do it".)

quote:

Originally posted by Spuzzum:

A bit late, but what I meant was that the game would be locked up. Not crash-wise, but I wasn't able to click on the menu nor was I able to use any keyboard commands (since those were disabled).

...and your point being??

quote:

Originally posted by KreKol:

When I play the game, I play in Roam. I leave the game on when I am at work and sleeping. I save it when I get online or have something else to do. So the point with that is I get days into the game. I have noticed that the longer the game runs, the less time the game will run constant without a CTD. My current game is dated 04/10/3010. 6 days into the game. One of my saved games crashes in a couple of hours and another one that crashes in about 10 minutes of running. It was driving me nuts. I tried all the normal things, reinstalling the game, latest update (version 1.0.0.3 to 1.0.0.4 RC1) and shutting off options in the config of the game. I decided to try a new game to see if it would run. The new game ran for around 12 hours before I shut it down. I then started loading older saves of the crashing saved game. The older the save the longer it would run. It has happened before with other game saves but I though it had to do with updating the game to the newest version so I always started a new game. I of course have saved games for a example.

None of this is conclusive. Once you have conclusive evidence and a saved game from clean install, new game, etc pass it on.

I (like a lot of the media reviewing the game) have saved games that a several days old. In fact, on one of my systems, I have a saved game that is on day 11. The other person who reported this and sent in saved games was also inconclusive. The first two saved games loaded fine on my end and had no problems. The third saved game he sent was corrupt due to tampering it would seem (but I'm not sure). Either way, it is corrupted and cannot be loaded.

Corrupted memory can do all sorts of things and is also the reason you can have lost clusters on your HDD etc. So, run a complete system maintenance (ScanDisk, Defrag etc) before reporting this again and providing the problematic saved game.

I'm using the newest patch for BCM (1.0.04 RC1) and I was just wondering if a couple of strange things are wrong or if I am just a complete fool:

A.) Jupiter's moons sometimes become clear. They DO NOT dissapear. I've already read why this happens. They become translucent grey disks when viewed directly.

B.) BCM seems to crash a lot. I'm sure the amount of processing going on is sheerly monumental but it is sometimes frustrating for me to need to restart my computer every hour or so.

I was just wondering what the deal is.

quote:

Originally posted by T-WOPR:

I'm using the newest patch for BCM (1.0.04 RC1) and I was just wondering if a couple of strange things are wrong or if I am just a complete fool:

A.) Jupiter's moons sometimes become clear. They DO NOT dissapear. I've already read why this happens. They become translucent grey disks when viewed directly.

B.) BCM seems to crash a lot. I'm sure the amount of processing going on is sheerly monumental but it is sometimes frustrating for me to need to restart my computer every hour or so.

I was just wondering what the deal is.

A. There is a thread about this

B. Check your system. BCM is very stable as far as we know. Besides, you're running 2181 drivers fer crissakes.

And while you're at it, please update your profile properly.

[ 12-31-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Sorry SC, I missed the other thread about this.

I didn't know there was anything wrong with 2181 drivers but I'll go back for an older version (or newer?).

And Comcast hasn't given anyone new email accounts yet (kind of imagine they won't) and I haven't had a chance to try hotmail or anything but I'll do that too.

Thnx