Misc Tech Support Issues III

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. I've had a look around the VIA forum again but I haven't learned anything new. Aside from installing the latest 4in1 drivers and the BIOS, is there anything else in mobo area that I should be doing?

Other than that, i'm baffled as to what to do next. I see a few references to the SB Live / VIA problem, but from what I've read this problem should have been fixed when I updated my BIOS and installed the latest 4in1.

Any more suggestions welcome

quote:

Originally posted by Gavor:

I'd like an answer for my existing hardware. I have other money priorities right now.

Just out of curiosity, what PCI slot do you have the SB Live SC in?

The reason I ask is because I had a IRQ sharing conflict when I first built mine, and I simply moved the soundcard to a different slot, and the problems vanished.

Lets just do a process of elimination.

Thanks Val, I think this is the answer. If people just throw ideas and I elimnate them one by one.

I'm not sure what slot I have it in, i used to have my SCSI card in 1, my vid in 2 and my sound in 3. I no longer have a SCSI card so im guessing the vid is 1 now and the sound is 2. I will confirm this. What slot do you have yours in?

SC sorry to ask this and feel free to bounce me out the nearest airlock if this is a stupid/already asked question, but is it still possible for your AE character to land/stand on top of building when on the surface of a planet I tried it last night and kept falling through

Sorry

I'll get the airlock ready

quote:

Originally posted by Emmett.hendrick:

SC sorry to ask this and feel free to bounce me out the nearest airlock if this is a stupid/already asked question,
but
is it still possible for your AE character to land/stand on top of building when on the surface of a planet

Yep. That code has not been touched and as far as I know, works. If you can reproduce it, send me the saved game.

Guest Fox__Trot

I was rescently playing BC:M and was under attack near a freindly man/mil station it launched some starships and run of them read stormcarrier so I check it and it was a Man/Mil Stormcarrier since the player cant use the ship why can the AI? or was this just a fluke

Was running v1.04rc1 also have a screen shot in .tga format if you'd like it

Does anyone know where I can get a driver uninstaller for Nvidia drivers that will work with WinXP. The only one I can find makes no mention of xp compatibility. I want to dump the 23.11 for the 22.80 drivers due to some random ctd's i have had lately.

Just figured it would be easier if i had an uninstaller clean out all the residue drivers first.

Cheers

Hey Oban,

I wouldn't really worry about it I have gone back and forth between those two drivers without any problems XP will ask you if you want to replace the older drivers (22.80) for the newer drivers. Just answer yes and you will overwrite the 23.11 drivers.

Gavor

I don't know if this has already been mentioned.

(I haven't read the whole thread, and I'm about to head off to work...)

But have you emptied out your system tray? It has a huge effect on system stability in general, and game stability in particular. All games, not just BCM.

If you have, please disregard this statement.

If you haven't, try completely clearing out your system tray of everything that's not necessary.

Just a thought.

Yes, this is actualy recomended for a lot of games out there. The less you have running in the background, the better! Some people dont like closing down virus killers and fire walls though (like me!!!!) and in most cases, its ok, but I have noticed that some games do show problems, or performance issues. BCM is recomended to have as little (or nothing) running in the background so you have as many free resources as possible for the game to use. It had been mentioned a few times in diffrent posts (not sure if they are all still there).

So its not a BCM problem? Why is the BCM the only game or application I'm having trouble with then? Other than this my system is solid.

Theres aren't any apps in the system tray. My system is setup properly. I've followed all the steps in the troubleshooting document. Is there any hope for me? I'm not saying there's something 'wrong' with BCM. There's also nothing

'wrong' with my system. I just want to play BCM.

Gavor

Glaver, all your other games work because they do not require what BCM requires out of your machine. Most likely your problem is a combination of stability issues, not any one specific conflict. Here are a few solutions that may help you stabalize:

-If you check DXDIAG, see if your video and audio have no problems with dx8.1. A pissible problem is some equipment made before 1999 does not entirely support dx8.1, even though it will work with it. In your profile, your sb-live may be a contributor to stability problems (dissabling sound without removing the card/software is not a complete solution).

-I checked out your motherboard manufacturer, there may be some issues with your usb controlers. If you have a normal serial joystick, see if your system is more stable by dissabling your usb controler (both in windows and bios if possible).

-Have you tried changing your drivers from the 23.11 to the 22.80 detinator drivers?

Other options, including bios functions you might want to experiment with:

-Change your ram speed from 133mhz to 100.

-Dissable Ultra-DMA.

-Check your cpu temperature in your hardware monitor menu. Note any anomylis temperature or voltage usage.

-Dissable External cache. This will cause a significant performance drop, but on a few older systems this has helped stabalize systems that otherwise crash constantly. Dissabling L2, internal, any cache will have adverse effects on the computer and may cause the OS to crash upon startup.

-Change your oporating system to win2000 or XP.

The OS could be a culprit in unstable systems. I could be wrong, but I swear most of the people having the "BCM crashes every X minutes" problem are using Windows 98. Does anyone else have some input on this?

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: antaren4279 ]

quote:

I could be wrong, but I swear most of the people having the "BCM crashes every X minutes" problem are using Windows 98. Does anyone else have some input on this?

Sorry antaren4279, but you are wrong. I've been running Win98SE since the beta. Sure, I've had BCM crash on me during the beta a few times, but that was because of either developmental issues at the time or my system's instability caused by myself. I've been running BCM with the latest patch and have not had any problems with it crashing every "x" minutes. As far as I am concerned, BCM is pretty solid with Win98SE.

quote:

antaren4279 posted on 01-12-2001

I could be wrong, but I swear most of the people having the "BCM crashes every X minutes" problem are using Windows 98. Does anyone else have some input on this?

I beg to differ, I haven't had a single crash since the ver 2 patch came out and I'm using Win98SE.

Anyway this is for all you newbies out there. If your game crashes all the time, then its time to ask yourself this:-

1. What kind of system specs do you have? Do they actually meet the minimum specs required?

2. Does your BCM settings suit the kind of system specs you have?

3. Have you installed the latest legitimate drivers for your audio and graphic cards?

4. Have you installed the patches properly?

5. Are you using any hacker utilities? i.e. playmod

6. Do you have background programs running at the same time?

7. Do you have DirectX 8.1 installed?

You will find that most of the time the above problems are the cause of the crash. Don't go blaming the OS or BCM.

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: Cmdr Jeffery Eu ]

quote:

...Gaver, all your other games work because they do not require what BCM requires out of your machine. Most likely your problem is a combination of stability issues, not any one specific conflict. Here are a few solutions that may help you stabalize:

This is semi-correct. Gavor's problem is between his SB Live! card and Via KT133 chipset motherboard. This is well documented at the viahardware and other forums. Via released a "patch" that was suppose to fix this, along with several 4in1 driver updates but there remains a quirk between the SB Live! sound card and the 686 southbridge chipset.

Creative labs NEVER fixed this by updating their SB Live! drivers. I ran several Via chipset motherboards during the beta and could not completely eliminate various sound quarks until I replaced my SB Live sound card. Once I did that, the sound issues disappeared and my system stability increased significantly.

I stayed away from all Via chipset mobos when I built my current system and have experience another increase in my system's stability.

Bottom Line: the SB Live! is the source of Gavor's woes. These quirks will remain until the drivers are updated by CL (not likely) or this s-card is replaced.

TTFN

[ 01-12-2002: Message edited by: Gallion ]