Misc Tech Support Issues III

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Can you list all those five (5) please? Thanks

And while you're at it, use the Detonator Destroyer to remove the 2280 drivers (you can find it over at 3dchipset.com I think). Then try the 2311 drivers.

Remember to re-install DX8.1 before or after installing video drivers.

And you MUST drop the card's acceleration down a notch. I don't you mention that at all.

[ 01-22-2002: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

SC,

Sure thing: Elenkis, (A few posts above), Masterfeff761, (page one of this thread for me), Church, (Page 4 of this thread for me), my neighbor upstairs who isn't that net savvy, but I could help him register if it's really neccesary, and myself.

Might be a few more I missed, but that's what I saw.

Seems Spidey had the problem at one point, too, but I'm unsure whether he's having the problem still, it doesn't sound like it, but I can't say.

As for your new suggestion, I'll give it all a go tomorrow. It's late, and I had some fun playing tonight!

I'll drop a line when I've tried your recommendation. Thanks.

Take care!

Idaho

GCV-Futeki

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duncan,

I suppose you can add me to the list also...I am having the same problems also...the error after exiting the game and trying to run it again,and the occasional corrupted saved game....but, I save often and I don't really mind rebooting....I hadn't mentioned it before because I'm really not in the same league as some of you guys ,in the technical department.....I'm just really HAPPY that the game runs and is otherwise stable!!! Sorry, I guess I should've said something sooner.

As chaotic as my posts have been, I'd like to confirm that I was having the problems Duncan describes. The lock ups, corrupted saves, CTD's and need for reboot were fixed when I reformatted my hard drive, changed my drivers to 21.83, and reinstalled my OS. Now I am contending with an unrelated 'performance issue.'

Good luck, Duncan.

Doing a complete OS wipe (as most people seem to have done) or upgrading to winXP usually solves a lot of problems with programs and not just BCM.

I've been trying to come up with a common denominator (win98se,nVidia,SBLive!) as Duncan mentioned, in order to find the culprit.

So, if these are the only two options available, well then guys, you're going to have to pick one. I didn't develop the OS nor the drivers - I'm only responsible for BCM.

[ 01-23-2002: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

SC,

Yeah, kinda what I said before when I said I intended to upgrade to XP.

btw, I just got done trying your last suggestion. I :

1: Removed Detonator drivers with Detonator Destroyer. (And now must reset all my refresh rates...grr).

Rebooted, installed the 23.11 drivers. (I agree with you, 22.80 are better)

Rebooted, re-installed DX 8.1

Rebooted, cranked hardware accel down a notch.

Rebooted, but as you probably guessed by now, it didn't change a thing.

At any rate, thanks for the help, even if we didn't track anything down. At least we got to a point where we can recognize it does SEEM to be an issue between certain hardware and Win98SE (Win9X, Nvidia card, SBLive!).

Okay then, until I get XP, I'll have my nose buried in this game, heheh.

Oh, I know this doesn't belong here, but I'm just curious if you got anywhere with that save I sent you last week? (Regarding Playmod?). I figure you've been pretty busy, don't want to pester you. Just curious.

Take care, don't work too hard. (But don't slack off too much, at least not until XP1 comes out heheh).

Idaho

GCV-Futeki

quote:

Originally posted by Duncan Idaho:

Oh, I know this doesn't belong here, but I'm just curious if you got anywhere with that save I sent you last week? (Regarding Playmod?).

I deleted it because it wasn't compatible with my format and I was too busy to try it on the 1.0.04 machine.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I deleted it because it wasn't compatible with my format and I was too busy to try it on the 1.0.04 machine.

Uh...okay. Thanks...

Idaho

GCV-Futeki

Ok, the game was ok until a few hours ago, it started crushing every 5 minutes, it just froze. then at one point. I saved the game in order to be sure. Then When I tried to restore it crashed again and gave me the message "Sav file format error" ???

I have a p4 1.9 mhz

win XP (all service packs)

Ge Force2 400

sound Max Audio

Please help!

quote:

Originally posted by Ganjo:

Ok, the game was ok until a few hours ago, it started crushing every 5 minutes, it just froze. then at one point. I saved the game in order to be sure. Then When I tried to restore it crashed again and gave me the message "Sav file format error" ???

Patch properly and READ the FAQ. That message will ONLY appear if the saved game is incompatible with the current patched version of the game.

And please add your system profile to your sig before posting again.

You can also add me to the list of people with the lockups,random freezes and corrupted saves. I also

have an SB live,Via chipset motherboard and nvidia

card with 98se installed. I follow these forums on a daily basis and try all suggestions....so i'm just waiting patiently till somebody comes up with a solution or till I replace some of my hardware which I'll be doing shortly. Forgot to add slow frame rates also with anything I try..but thats

probably my hardware. Well goodluck everybody...If

I discover something someplace..I'll post again. I'm always on all the tch forums watching for solutions.

Hello, This is my first post im also haveing a few small problems, i tried adding my system information weil see if that works, ok my problem is at random times not alot tho the game will ctd i beleave i also found two bugs, if you try to capture a station right before it blows it it seems to cause a ctd another one if if your in tacops and you luanch a shuttle your ae is in it wont switch to the shuttle view it cause tacops to like freeze and you have to hit f1, just try it youl see what i mean its 100% reproduceable, oh ok back on track now iv been reading the forums the game used to ctd ALOT til i lowerd the acceleration slider, i have a sb live card, iv tried the 22.80 and 23.11 im currently useing the

23.11's oh to i get thos save game format errors to but it only happens after a ctd im guesing my saved game gets courpted , i tried reinstalling the game and redownloading and reapplying the 1.0.0.4 patch thos are the only problems im haveing the only common fact i notic about all of us who are haveing ctd problems are we have sb live cards the drivers could be at foult..

ok update cant get the damn system profile thing to work im not dumb it just needs to be shown in a difreant way i dont get the url=pasted etc part, well il list my system information now.

p3 850mhz

392mb ram

i440bx intel chip set asus motherboard

52x generic cdrom

sb live 5.1 version:win2k/xp driver update

reversion 2

hercules geforce2 mx 32mb

win2k pro sp2 version:5.0.2195 service pak 2 build:2195

directx 8.1 version:4.08.01.881

intelpoint optical mouse (driver version 4.10)

ok so heres what i found since last post, i took the liberty to run the game with the -d5 switch i couldnt get it to ctd even with 100 ships on the screen.. 1fps er, but since im a smart cookie i checkd the log file and found this this could be whats causeing my game to ctd but maybe it wont do it in debug mode,

Error: D3DDevice object is still referenced!

--- Debug log closed ---

iv tried reinstalling win2k i actually downgraded from xp hopeing it would help no such luck.. oh iv also tried reinstalling the game copying the 1.0.0.4 patch into the directory and applying it, i installed it under c:gamesbattle cruiser, i hope this helps

yup another update.. er just trying to get as much info in here as possible, iv also tried the new 27.11 still didnt fix it but i get better fps now

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: xierxior ]

I tried contacting creative the other day and asked them nicely about liveware and whatever happened to their promise of keeping the user provided with driver updates....well they got very nasty with me...made me feel as if I had bothered them and basically told me I should buy a newer

version of one of their soundcards....really made me loose faith in them as a company..heres their

customer service number if anybody else wants to give it a shot. 1-800-998-1000 If enough people call and say whens there gonna be a new driver..

maybe they will crumble and give us one. Their last update was 05/05/00 if they try to hassle you.

quote:

Originally posted by xierxior:

ok so heres what i found since last post, i took the liberty to run the game with the -d5 switch i couldnt get it to ctd even with 100 ships on the screen.. 1fps er, but since im a smart cookie i checkd the log file and found this this could be whats causeing my game to ctd but maybe it wont do it in debug mode,

Error: D3DDevice object is still referenced!

--- Debug log closed ---

Unrelated and nothing to worry about.

PLUS, the same way you go tinkering around with debug options (/d5), spend that time tinkering around and configuring your system properly.

And attached your profile to your sig. There is a thread that shows you how to do it. READ IT. And that goes for you too Chris.

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

my system if configured prapurely, i reformated and even did a freash install to be sure of that, i read the faq adjusted my bios and turnd the slider down in dxdiag for the sblive,

Well, keep at it. There isn't any new info to give you except whats in the FAQ and in these threads.

As for your sig, did you actually read this?

fxied my system profile thing.

oh btw, im planning on getting a tyan tigermp motherboard (smp) two athlon 1700's and 512mb ram think il have more luck with stability on that or does the game not like dual processor mobo's? id like to know ahead of time before i make a final buying decision id hate to be stuck with bcm not working

oh update i found a new bug, i was droping my minning drones off because the marines to to dumb to know how to take off from a carrier when its parkd on the ground er.. i was flying away from my ship and it popd under ground its not a video glitch because i seen the ship go down like a sub.. i have a shuttle about 10 feet away from my cc, all you gotta do is go foward and it el pop back up, i thought you might wanna take a look at the save game? i see you fixed the tacoops thing

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: xierxior ]

quote:

oh btw, im planning on getting a tyan tigermp motherboard (smp) two athlon 1700's and 512mb ram think il have more luck with stability on that or does the game not like dual processor mobo's? id like to know ahead of time before i make a final buying decision id hate to be stuck with bcm not working

BCM only uses a single proc but will work on a dual-proc system (I have one here).

As a bit of follow up I will add that the random lockups that I was experiencing before my OS reinstall are now happening again. Puzzling, given that I still have no new programs installed on my system and my settings (BCM and system) have not changed.

The next time you post the same repetitive and inconclusive crap on this thread, your posting rights will be revoked.

First warning

Last warning

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

sc, i thought smp was os dependit, as in certain programs are optimized for smp but will use it reguardless?

spider, i tried detonator version down to 12.xx no help, i was haveing the game lockup when it said load completed but since i started useing the 23.11's and 27.11's it hasnt happend again it could of been because a save game courption i found that starting a new game then exiting it and trying the save game again will make it load.

ok i meant to say it like this, even tho bcm isnt a multi threaded game you can still force the load onto the second cpu, and use the first for os only have you tried this? or do you have any plans to add threads to bcm as its becomming more popular.

quote:

sc, i thought smp was os dependit, as in certain programs are optimized for smp but will use it reguardless?

Dunno what you're talking about. Unless a program makes use of SMP and the OS its running on supports SMP, the program won't use it.

BCM doesn't support SMP.

Which part of my previous post was unclear?

[ 01-25-2002: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

i found another bug, this is were im supost to report bugs right? target anything start jumping to it, now while your in mid flight enter tacoops view a planat regin planet doesnt matter, f1 now press f9 ship model not being renderd it also wont be renderd in tacoops damn to bad i didnt report this one before 1.0.0.5

Not a bug. Works as designed.

just found a second when you press R for reload in fp mode on a planet surface its supost to reload the clip in your gun right?, well its not you ammo in the clip stays the same as it was before you hit r i hear the reload sound play tho.

Totally incoherent babble.

to when you dock your fighter at a starbase on a planet, are you supost to repair instantly? i thought this might be a bug

Nope, Works as designed.

oh anyone els who reads this use -x1 if you have sblive 5.1 and haveing ctd problems, i did this and havent had one ctd since im not sure if it totaly fixed it but it apears to, try and post your results maybe?

Amazing what happens when one reads the BCM FAQ

TTFN

[ 01-26-2002: Message edited by: Gallion ]

For you folks that think that SC and company are to hard on some people,where else can you get the degree of help that is offered here.And i tell you nowhere else.Look at the amount of work goes that into this game.Not only is Sc and company working on additional features for this game. They are also working out the small bugs that come out.And not only that they also help

folks in trying to solve their problems.And if people would just take the time to read the faq you would find most of your solutions there.This game is very complex to play and also to run.So one should have a good working knowledge of their computers. And i don't mean knowing where the power switch is.So count your blessings that they do help when they can.