Misc Tech Support Issues III

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Originally posted by Paddy Gregory:

OK, didn't realise it was my vid card which was reporting the other resolutions.

You learn something new every day eh?

Yeah, the supported BCM resolutions are not hardcorded. CONFIG simply lists all valid video modes that that card enumerates and reports. The same thing that Display Properties does.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am running v1.0.05

I have had a problem with 2 save games.

The first trys to load and never makes it. I have waited as long as a half hour.

The second game save. ( made at a later time) loads and starts and the engine sounds are produced. However the display is static and the mouse and keyboard are are not functioning.

I have had situations in the past where this second type of hangup occurs but on retrying the same save, the game starts. The one I have now has not started although I have re-tried it about 5 times.

( I hope this is the correct place for problems like this to be posted.)

The only other problem is that BCM is addictive and I havn't seen my wife in a week or more...

Thank you for a great adventure.

quote:

Originally posted by Baldor:

The second game save. ( made at a later time) loads and starts and the engine sounds are produced. However the display is static and the mouse and keyboard are are not functioning.

The save game won't cause this. Check your system's integrity.

I would however like to see the saved games. Check the announcements forum for a thread which shows how to send in saved games.

Be warned: if that saved game has been tampered with in any way (e.g. with Playmod) or it not from a new game started in v1.0.05, I'm going to suppress your posting rights and ban that stupid dwarf with the axe, sitting right next to you.

[ 02-01-2002, 07:50: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

It's me! I'm back again! But don't worry, nothing totaly universe shattering. Anyways...

Having ships fight within planetary sphere with the 1.xxx5 patch installed. Uninstalled, killed folder, reinstalled, re-downloaded patch, reinstalled patch, same thing. I have a saved game and will send it if you want (I know you said you wanted it but please read on). I read the VFC and it seems you have fixed it in the next patch, please tell me if you still want the file. I rotated the tacops view this way and that to see if it really was. Even did a HJ and ended up planetfalling into Saturn. Sure enough, there they were inside the sphere. I've only seen some craft types do it (fighters and the smallest frigates).

I cannot verify with certainty when I downloaded the patch, but I can say that it was before the 25th, which is of course your last update to that patch. Will that fix my problem? (i'm not at home and would be more than happy to try that.)

If this has already been addressed please point me in the direction of the relevant post. Thanks.

quote:

Originally posted by Eihort:

I read the VFC and it seems you have fixed it in the next patch, please tell me if you still want the file.

Then why are you posting about it? Derek doesn't write that stuff for the entertainment value.

Because he said he wanted the files and I don't know when he posted it. Read the whole post next time.

Also, I was conducting a ground assault on a Terran Insurrgent Base. Destroying various buildings and then suddenly a destroyed NEUTRAL TERRAN INSURGENT SOLAR PLANT appeared at about 3000m in the air and just stayed there. The strangest thing I ever saw... a building in the air just hanging there. I also have a save game for this as well.

[ 02-03-2002, 03:06: Message edited by: Eihort ]

quote:

Originally posted by Eihort:

Because he said he wanted the files and I don't know when he posted it. Read the whole post next time. .

No. If you'd READ the FAQ, you would see that the date is always in the version. Obviously, you posted AFTER that update.

Anyway, I ignored your original post when I saw, but since you want to argue about it, you are now banned from the site and your email as well as IP mask added to the multiplayer server ban list.

I've told you lot already, the Beta testers and admins should be accorded the same level of respect as me.

Now, get the hell off my site and go misbehave elsewhere.

[ 02-03-2002, 08:10: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

ALright, I read the FAQ, the VCF, searched for it... and I have found a few bugs.

I have 1.0.0.5 final. My profile info is up to date.

I was about to post about the ships fightning inside planets, but I saw a VCF thing about it. I even had screenshots about it Removed useless links

Then WHY are you posting about it?

Anyway. I still have the problems about buildings and stations that disappear momentarily when they are destroyed. ALL buildings and stations do that, ALL the time. I have screenshots to show it, althought I don't have "before" shots : I have "exploding" and "after" screenshots, but I tried not to move between both.

Blowing station

Destroyed station

Blowing starbase

Destroyed starbase

And the problem is WHAT? Since BC3K, models that can be rebuilt will be removed during the detonation and replaced with their rebuild form. Get a faster computer and/or video card+drivers and you won't see the transition switch.

Now onto another issue. Here are 2 screenies of a NPC sfm. (1) and (2)

I was in the region for a very long while, and noticed that when the sfm's gets near a starstation, it stops moving. From flying aside with a shuttle I noticed it happens when the sfm reaches the 0 range with the station. It keeps going at ~128m/s... then 0m/s... then 128, then 0... thus NEVER reaching the station.

And the problem is WHAT? What makes you think it was trying to get TO the station? Its not. And the space dynamics work differently which is why an SFM has to compensate more often.

Also, in FP mode I noticed I had unlimited smoke grenades. I just hit the "9" key and a smoke is launched.. then hit hit hit hit hit hit 9 and here's the result.

Are you running in debug mode or using Playmod? I bet you are. If you are, as I'm 99% certain that you are, you are in so much trouble, I can't even begin to tell you. I'm going to get check it out right now and if this is the case, I'm going to revoke your posting rights.

Posting rights ALMOST revoked for a month. You've been around a while, so you get a free pass this time. Don't forget the rules: NO EXCEPTIONS.

About the jetpack : if I climb and release the "f" key at, let's say 50%, I gradually slow down and finally start falling. But if I hold the "f" key until my jetpack charge is depleted, I suddenly stop, although I was going at more than 60m/s, and start falling now.

And the problem is WHAT?

One issue that didn't strike me at first (ironic in fact) : in ALL the station attacks I did, I NEVER got shot by a single SDM missile, even though my EMD is off for quite a while.

Good for you.

On planets, I noticed NO resistance whatsoever while riding a tank.

See above

In a fighter on planetside, I never got shot by any turret like I used to be in the demo, but I can't tell about the SAM launchers, because I had a few missile locks on me, but it could be the fighters.

Whatever

Not really a bug this time, but I noticed that flying at very low atitudes (under 100), you never get shot by fighters.

I suppose you didn't read the manual nor ALL those bulletins about how the ground radar acquisitions work, right?

And should structures be on the radar? I mean... I cannot find bunkers, solar plants, etc.. on tascan. I cannot click on a starbase (on the radar screen) but it's in the list.

READ the manual

I also noticed that a few ground buildings are indestructible. Those that I remember : area defense radar, early warning radar and the "building" found in most bases (looks conic). I get close to the, I see the effects of the shots on the structures, but not a single unit of armor goes down.

Rubbish

[ 02-03-2002, 20:04: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

quote:

Then WHY are you posting about it?

Hmm well.. ok.. er..

quote:

And the problem is WHAT? Since BC3K, models that can be rebuilt will be removed during the detonation and replaced with their rebuild form. Get a faster computer and/or video card+drivers and you won't see the transition switch.

How long is supposed to last this transition? My game runs at ~40fps stable, and the time between the dissapearance and the reappearance is about 5-6 seconds... this ain't about computer speed... I'll explain a bit more.

1)I destroy the building/station, I see muptiple explosions animation all around it.

2)Disappears, I see "sparks" expanding for about 5 seconds (althought we don't see them in the sceenies, took the screenies at the end of the expansion)

3)The sparks disappear, then the building/station reappears.

I don't suffer form any slowdown in the whole thing.

Again. WHAT is the problem EXACTLY? Certain types of buildings will re-appear in their rebuild state after being destroyed. Once they are repaired (the time varies), they will again be replaced with their original form. In fact, your three screen shots show this transition. It has been this way since BC3K back in 1996; so, I fail to see what you're talking about. And btw, since that tank is not transparent (like it should be), you have driver problems.

quote:

And the problem is WHAT? What makes you think it was trying to get TO the station? Its not. And the space dynamics work differently which is why an SFM has to compensate more often.

Then whats is it doing??

Its maintaining a break distance from the station and compensating frequently. No different from any entity that is flying around.

quote:

Are you running in debug mode or using Playmod? I bet you are. If you are, as I'm 99% certain that you are, you are in so much trouble, I can't even begin to tell you. I'm going to get check it out right now and if this is the case, I'm going to revoke your posting rights.

1) I don't know how to run in debug mode.

2) No, I am NOT running playmod. I would never report bugs encountered using playmod, expect when you ask for playmod bugs (like the save you requested)

Then tell me why it is that I fire up SNG (I even tried one of the IA scenarios), hit the 9 key until my grenades run out and no more. If you're reporting a bug, you're going to have to a LOT better than you have. Besides, normally when a Beta tester sees a report in here, the first thing they do is try to reproduce it (Gordon does this frequently) and then posts in the secure forum if they can. So far, nobody has verified it. Not that I expect them to, with the information you provided.

quote:

And the problem is WHAT?

I just checked that one (jetpack), and the thing is that I don't have any effect of vertical inertia when I run out of fuel, as opposed to when I release the button with fuel left.

Vertical what? Are you kidding me?

quote:

Good for you.

Won't you help me on that one?

Help you with what? Why don't you help me by (a) providing material worthy of my time (B) quit wasting my time with issues that are either imaginary or otherwise due to you lack of understanding. Unlike you, stations don't just launch SDMs just because YOU think they should.

quote:

See above

It was working in the demo...

And it still works. If you took the time to read the manual+appendix or the Beta VCF (then compare which kernel was used in both of the demos), you will immediately see the rules for radar acquisition by ground targets (v2.1.05). If you are not acquired, you are outside their parameters. And the demo uses completely different units; ALL units have different radar acquisition parameters.

quote:

Rubbish

I'll make screenshots.

Edit : Here they are : althought the timing wasn't good enough to actually see my fighter shooting, you can see the hit animations.

Early warning radar 1

Early warning radar 2

"Building"

[EDIT : Inserted links to screenies, and edited odditied]

You are firing guns (ineffective) against structures. Go read the Beta VCF under the entry for 2.3.06 (FIRST entry).

And before you respond, remember that NO game will tell you HOW an engine works or what its doing. It is up to YOU the player to figure it out. Even in fp games, you find out on your own which weapon is effective against what. In flight sims, you know the capabilities of your own radar and not that of the enemy you are flying against (e.g. in an F16 sim, you won't know how the radar of the opposing Mig29 works or how the SAM is tracking you). I make all this info available for information purposes and I passed along some of this info to Gallion for inclusion in the appendix.

[ 02-04-2002, 08:11: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

I've been playing for awhile in the craft assigned to me for The Wraith wargame...I'm playing on the 1.00.05 Jan 27 patch with a sunflash Heavy Cruiser.

I've been making trading runs between Galcom HQ and Wraith HQ, mainly trading weapons.When I got a sufficient bankroll I started trading Bugnor OTS missiles and in an attempt to get more for my mileage I started moving some to the cargo pod when my weapons bay got full....and this is what I've found.

When I move the Bugnors to the Cargo Pod they only use one cargo unit instead of the 100 they used in the weapons bay.When I arrive at Wraith HQ and move them back to the Weapons Bay,they once again take up 100 units. Nothing I've read suggests that this is as it should be. So, I thought I would mention it.

If needed, I have a save game with 45 OTS missiles in the Cargo Pod and 455 cargo units left in the Pod.

If this IS the way it should be, Then I stand here humbly waiting for my chastisement.

[ 02-04-2002, 18:34: Message edited by: Stormshadow ]

by "vertical inertia" i think he means that: while he is ascending using the jetpack, if he stops thrusting his ascent will gradually slow down (ie: he will tend to stay in motion). If, however, he thrusts until his fuel runs out he will stop abruptly instead of "tending to stay in motion" as in the former case.

I often see the base disappear and be replaced by the damaged model. It's not really a big deal though. Takes a couple of seconds for the damaged model to come up.

Ground attacks are currently out of my league, so I can't comment on ground defenses. Use OTS, man.

quote:

Originally posted by Stormshadow:

If this IS the way it should be, Then I stand here humbly waiting for my chastisement.

Works as designed. The cargo pods have a different compartmentalized method of storage. I guess you haven't seen cargo pods containing whole nuclear reactors, huh?

[ 02-04-2002, 19:06: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Spider-man:

by "vertical inertia" i think he means that: while he is ascending using the jetpack, if he stops thrusting his ascent will gradually slow down (ie: he will tend to stay in motion). If, however, he thrusts until his fuel runs out he will stop abruptly instead of "tending to stay in motion" as in the former case.

I often see the base disappear and be replaced by the damaged model. It's not really a big deal though. Takes a couple of seconds for the damaged model to come up.

Ground attacks are currently out of my league, so I can't comment on ground defenses. Use OTS, man.

The jetpack flight dynamics work as designed. Do a search for 'jetpack' in both VCFs for further notes.

The swapping of one model for the next, works as designed. The damaged model won't be swapped out until the previous model cleanup is done, then it gets re-loaded - from disk.

[ 02-04-2002, 19:10: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Works as designed. The cargo pods have a different compartmentalized method of storage. I guess you haven't seen cargo pods containing whole nuclear reactors, huh?

That's GREAT as far as I'm concerned! Cuz that just means one thing.

Mo' money

Mo' money

Mo' money

[ 02-05-2002, 01:35: Message edited by: Stormshadow ]

epsilon5 i noticd you were haveing problems with the transparent models to, heres how i fixed mine im 90% sure this will help you to..

i didnt delete my old drivers before upgradeing to new ones this apears to cause courpted files or files not being replaced so

1: get the 23.11's

2: go to guru3d.com download detonator destroyer

3: uninstall your current drivers reboot into safe mode run detonator destroyer make sure it deletes all the files

4: reboot now install the 23.11's from scratch

this isnt a tech support reply i just thought it would help poeple haveing similer problems to what i was experienceing

[ 02-05-2002, 05:23: Message edited by: xierxior ]

Guest rockinit

Hello SC, just wanted to know if you received my email about the CTD I encountered. A file named

profile_login_space-station_ctd.zip was sent in over the weekend.

Thanks

Just a shot in the dark in hopes that someone will have a suggestion.

For no clear reason All saved games, all instant action and all training missions no longer function.

They start and I can control the action with the joystick, but as soon as I attempt to make a keyboard entry {Alt-T} for example. I get a CTD.

I have un-installed and re-installed BCM then updated with the new patch ( in the BCM folder)

I re-installed the nvidia drivers with the 2311 drivers.

If there are no other suggestions I will have to re-install windows 2000 {ugh}.

Any help is appreciated.

that really sounds like a os problem as sc said bcm doesnt modifie any system files

did you make sure the accessability options didnt get enabled? if so if you press a key on your keyboard it could activate and cause the game to ctd..

do any other games crash or start acting weird?

quote:

Originally posted by rockinit:

Hello SC, just wanted to know if you received my email about the CTD I encountered. A file named

profile_login_space-station_ctd.zip was sent in over the weekend.

Thanks

I deleted it. I never asked for it. Don't send me ANYTHING unless I request it.

I've just revoked your posting rights indefinitely. Next time, read my announcements (re: putting your sys info in your sig)

And I forgot to mention that even if I had asked you to send me your files, they would still have been deleted because you didn't follow ANY of the procedures for sending in saved games - AND - you sent incorrect files, in the wrong folders etc

quote:

1/31/2002 17:30 1,156 ALLIANCE.TXT

1/22/2002 17:37 4,530 appcompat.txt

1/31/2002 17:33 64,363 bcgfxdebug.log

1/31/2002 17:30 2,451 bcmconfig.ini

1/31/2002 17:33 12,234 BCMDEBUG.LOG

1/29/2002 17:38 791 BCMSETUP.INI

9/24/2001 10:00 33,702 BCMSFX.INI

9/24/2001 10:00 6,356 BCMXPL.INI

1/31/2002 17:39 21,412 DxDiag.txt

1/31/2002 17:36 2,359,350 LoginError.bmp

1/31/2002 17:31 1,918 PLAYER.LOG

1/30/2002 20:20 1,203,787 PLAYER0.SG9

1/31/2002 17:43 1,203,083 PLAYER0.SGD

2/01/2002 16:11 2,619 profile_docking_ctd.txt

And lets not forget that you are also running the game in DEBUG mode.

[ 02-06-2002, 14:26: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]