Misc Tech Support Issues III

Supreme Cmdr

Ok, I'm not sure what this problem could be. I got BCM for christmas, I installed it and played once.(I travel alot for my job) About two weeks ago my hard drive crashed and died . . . I replaced the drive installed Windows 98 plus all required drivers, installed the BCM again was very smooth install, played about two hours. This morning I put the CD in the CD drive started the game but now I get a message that says " Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application " This is a fresh out of the box copy bought at my local EB store at christmas time. What is the problem.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by dude:

Ok, I'm not sure what this problem could be. I got BCM for christmas, I installed it and played once.(I travel alot for my job) About two weeks ago my hard drive crashed and died . . . I replaced the drive installed Windows 98 plus all required drivers, installed the BCM again was very smooth install, played about two hours. This morning I put the CD in the CD drive started the game but now I get a message that says "
Please insert the correct CD-ROM, select OK and restart application
" This is a fresh out of the box copy bought at my local EB store at christmas time. What is the problem.

Dunno. Check your CDROM drive maybe?

quote:

Originally posted by dude:

I thought of that and tested several other games before posting. All others work great with no problems. BCM is the only CD that I'm having problems with. and

Well, if you didn't have a problem with the CD before (since you did play the game). And you do now, how does that have anything to do with BCM? Have you tried cleaning the CDROM?

Simple, I have also tried the BCM CD in another PC (One of my kids PC's) and it does NOT work there either. I get the same BS message there as well. There for my conclusion is there must be a problem with the CD itself or perhaps there is a config file pointing in the wrong place, I donÔÇÖt know. Maybe there is an entry in the registry that for whatever didnÔÇÖt make it there. Where does it acquire the CD information? What can I look at that may point me in the correct direction? One last thing, the CD surface has no damage it is in perfect condition.

1. Have you updated BCM yet to 1.0.05?

2. Try to boot with the BCM CD in the drive. Some people said that helped.

3. Also try to take off any other programs in the background. CD-R/W programs like DirectCD can interfere, if you haven't patched/upgraded those.

4. Make sure BCM is installed in the default directory. If somethin's not working, I usually reinstall my copy there to see if that works.

quote:

Originally posted by Baldor:

I thought things had settled down but i am still getting CTD's

Logistix>Crafts>FC>4

Shows Tacscan computer at 68%

Click on it to try to repair and get CTD.

Seems reproducable..I've tried it 5 times

BOTH of the saved games you sent (this one and the one that you couldn't restore) are corrupted files.

You'd better run ScanDisk on your machine and re-install the game properly.

Ok, I really hope it wasn't already addressed, and if it was, I apologize:

I'm assuming that I should be able to target any */HAZ objects in my area through the far left CVD under HAZARDS. I see a /HAZ Asteroid near the Moon in TACOPS, but then when I go back to the bridge, with my CC near the moon, it doesnt show up on any targetting menus when I try to select it.

I think I solved my problem with CTD and reboots and corrupted saves.

Win2000 allows for multiple operating systems.

I installed a new win2000 OS with just the essentials to run BCM.

It has been running for 2 game days without any problems.

Its a fantastic sim and you can really get lost in it when the crashes no longer occur.

Thank you SC.

God, I hate to post here again, but here goes.

If your answers to Roberto's questions are NO and YES, then send me the saved game. Be SURE to read the procedure for sending in saved games, or face the consequences. Even if you forget to describe the problem in the email, I will discard the email and saved game.

I have a saved game where My asset is sitting on the second moon of Zelana. there are four full mining drones elsewhere on the moon. If I take off from the moon and leave the drones alone, nothing happens. Everything is okay, the game progresses normally AS LONG AS I DONT TRY TO GET THOSE DRONES. I have CTD'd over and over again just trying to get the contents of those drones.

I have a CTD that is reproducible.

1. load saved game

2. Go to logistix and turn on power to the systems that had been turned off while sitting on planet (basically all the systems except lifesupport, tactical, comms, etc).

3. go to VTOL and lift off the ground.

4. switch to FTOL and fly into space.

5. GO to tac-ops and observe the planet

6. set waypoints for four shuttles and have each "extract" the drone of the appropriate number.

7. go to tactical and put a pilot in each shuttle.

8. launch the shuttles.

9. Wait

10. CTD will occur just after two or three of the drones are extracted by the shuttles.

again, if I leave the drones alone, no CTD.

I even tried leaving my Asset on the planet, getting into a shuttle myself and extracting the drones one by one back to the asset (took a long time, had to change shuttles each time). Once I finally got the cargo all loaded up, all the shuttles and drones were aboard, I turned all the Asset's systems on and headed for outer space. Whammo! -- CTD.

Please help.

I tried reinstalling BCM and reapplying the patch. I did it according to the instructions in the troubleshooting guide. NO DICE.

I tried different screen resolutions, default system settings, and even no sound/no music. NO DICE.

should I just forget about my four mining drones? (what are they, like 500K apiece? and they're full of minerals -- about 4million if sold to the right station). If so, do i just fly in there with a fighter, destroy them and go buy new ones?

[ 02-12-2002, 15:55: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

A couple of questions spring to mind...

1.. Your doing it from a saved game, so I am assuming that when you reinstalled, you were still using the same saved game right?

2.. Did you try it from a fresh new game?

I had discovered a new and very annoying bug, it is reproductible and if you want i can mail you a save game.

For something to be annoying, it has to be something you do often. This (a) doesn't remotely look like a bug (B) is not something you would do often, so it can't be annoying.

Until I see proof that warrants my attention, this is a non issue to me. For one, you might like to actually revise the post so that it is clear and coherent. My gibberish to English translator is on the fritz.

Well, to enable this bug you must:

- Enter in a planet, Earth for example, i had not tried another one, with your CC

- Send a marine to one of your shuttles

-Launch the shuttle, and give it the order to tow your ship

-Send the commander to another shuttle.

-Shut down the Reactor core

-While the first shuttle is towing your CC give it the order to halt when the solar panel indicator shows there is some energy available

-Now go in logistix and enable the Launch Control.

-Try to launch the shuttle with the commander inside

Result: the shuttle refuses to be launched.

If you are in space the shuttle is launched normally, but on a planet nothing.

And if you shut down the reactor in trying to land in the water, then the shuttle was launched, but the main view cannot switch to the shuttle view, it stayson the bridge view, and if you point the cursor on the shuttle icon number it says that the crew in this shuttle is the commander but there is no order available so you cannot control it.

It was just shown like a shuttle on board but its color is grey.

And on the radar this shuttle is not visible.

If you go the tactical computer it shows that the shuttle is launched and the commander onboard.

I hope this can help you to make a bug free game, SC.

Cheers.

[ 02-12-2002, 15:54: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

1.. Your doing it from a saved game, so I am assuming that when you reinstalled, you were still using the same saved game right?

It probably won't happen from a fresh new game (I've done this maneuver before, although not on the second moon of zelana). It happens everytime I tinker with my drones after loading the two saved games i have saved while sitting on that planet. My commander's AI is in the 80's and my crew's is very high as well. For that reason, I'd rather figure out what's wrong with this saved game if possible.

quote:

If your answers to Roberto's questions are NO and YES, then send me the saved game. Be SURE to read the procedure for sending in saved games, or face the consequences. Even if you forget to describe the problem in the email, I will discard the email and saved game.

Damn. Okay so it's not a bug you're interested in then.

WHERE did I say that? Did you READ what I wrote or are you trying to annoy me?

How does this happen? How does a game progress fine and then reach a point where a certain course of action always produces a CTD.

I'll brace myself for the answer.

And I won't send the saved game. I will, however, send you a nice floral arrangement for Valentine's day, SC.

I'll settle for the saved game, just to satisfy my curiosity. So, send it. God help you if its not from 1.0.05 (someone will need to send you a wreath for Valentine's.

One last bit of followup. I destroyed the drones with a fighter, then when I tried to go spacebound --- CTD.

It seems that If I wish to continue this career, I will have to abandon the drones and never mine again. The last thing I will try is to fly to the drones with my asset, use the shuttles to offload the minerals and leave the drones where they are.

BOLLOCKS, that didn't work either.

[ 02-12-2002, 20:32: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Spider-man:

It seems that If I wish to continue this career, I will have to abandon the drones and never mine again. The last thing I will try is to fly to the drones with my asset, use the shuttles to offload the minerals and leave the drones where they are.

Go into a fighter (if you have one), or FPS mode, and blow them up and buy replacements. I'm pretty sure you can replace them. Then see if that works for you to continue your career.

There are around four starbases that have this problem the starbase is not prapurely alingd with the terrain, I brought pictures to help explan

Midae - is not alignd with terrain

http://8459214.tripod.com/PHOTO000.jpg

http://8459214.tripod.com/PHOTO001.jpg

http://8459214.tripod.com/PHOTO002.jpg

http://8459214.tripod.com/PHOTO003.jpg

Eori - apears to be underground the only reason you can see it is because i got the camera to clip thro the ground

http://8459214.tripod.com/PHOTO004.jpg

http://8459214.tripod.com/PHOTO005.jpg

http://8459214.tripod.com/PHOTO006.jpg

http://8459214.tripod.com/PHOTO007.jpg

About the reload problem while in first person mode, More specificly the ZS10 COMBAT ASSAULT RIFLE is not reloading when you hit R.

I can go take pictures and name the rest of the planets if nessacary.

edit: you have to cut and past the pictures into your browser damn tripod...

[ 02-12-2002, 23:58: Message edited by: xierxior ]

quote:

here are robert's questions:

quote:

my answer: "yes" i am using the same saved game.

quote:

my answer: "no, it would take too long to correctly reproduce the conditions (see below)" However, "yes" I have tried to fill up some deployed drones in a new game and pick them up -- it works fine.

Therefore, my answers to the questions were NOT "no" and "yes". Thus, I figured you did not want the saved game because you told me to send them only if the answers to the questions were "no" and "yes". So I figured you weren't interested in this particular hang-up. No, you didn't explicitly state that you weren't interested. But it was obvious from your post that because this problem is not easily repeatable with a new game, you don't want the saved game.

I can only duplicate this CTD with THIS (and a subsequent) saved game. Starting a new game, acquiring the artifacts that I have acquired, flying to Lanis V, landing on the moon, waiting for my drones to fill up, and waiting for my crew's experience to get to where it is now, and THEN duplicating the steps I outlined in the post above --- well, it's too much time and effort. For what it's worth, sending out drones, waiting for them to fill and picking them up in a new game does not cause a CTD. As I stated in my original post, the CTD only happens in my current career.

I'll still send you the saved game if you have any interest.

Comander Nova -- no disrespect sir, but I tried exactly what you suggested and it crashes to desktop before I can exit the moon (boy was it fun flying in there and destroying those drones!). I'll quote the salient bits from my posts above....

i said this in my original post:

quote:

If so, do i just fly in there with a fighter, destroy them and go buy new ones?

Then I reported this in a subsequent post:

quote:

One last bit of followup. I destroyed the drones with a fighter, then when I tried to go spacebound --- CTD.

Thanks for the interest, everyone. I'm thinking about scrubbing the career and just using the playmod to see everything I was trying to "earn" my way to see. To go this far in the career and get a repeating CTD is extrememly discouraging.

I may try to revert to an earlier saved game and see if it helps. Unfortunately, its about eight hours behind my latest save.

I think you misunderstood the first question. Saved games prior to 1.0.05 are NOT backward compatible. Thats what I took the question to mean. i.e. you had a saved game from a pre-1.0.05 version, re-installed and went ahead to use that same - obsolete - saved game. Because if you did, then I'm not interested in the saved game.

And I already said to send me the saved game. Without even loading it in BCM, I can tell what version of the game kernel it was using. The fact that you appear to be stalling, leads me to believe that you're not sure.

quote:

Originally posted by xierxior:

There are around four starbases that have this problem the starbase is not prapurely alingd with the terrain,

Its not a terrain alignment problem. They are in the wrong position due a typo in the script; which is why you don't see any other units which would be part of such a scene. If you explore that area in TacOps, you'll find the mzone and scene, sans the starbase unit itself.

e.g. The Midae sbase is at 167.449 451.10 instead of 167.449 45.110 (GLOB_AI.SCR #172)

btw, what I HATE the most about bug reports, is when people aren't sure. I do NOT have time to play guessing games. So, if there are two that you have found (as you have), say so. Don't tell me there are four when you only show two. wtf you expect me to do? Go and check each of the 43 starbases and HOPE that you are right about there being four not two incorrect ones?

If you are sure there are two more, just give me the names and planets. I don't need pictures.

As for the weapon reload, it works fine here; but maybe a beta tester will check it out and find a way to reproduce it and convey to me accurately what the problem is.

[ 02-13-2002, 09:44: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by xierxior:

Varan, im sure theres one more but its by the gamme sector il update this once i find it

OK. I'll just check all the starbases in that region and see if I find any in the wrong location. If you come across the ones you're talking about, let me know.

UPDATE: I wrote a quick tool to check each one and spit out info about those that were wrong. heh, you don't want to see the list! In addition to the ones on Eori, Midae and Varan, it found seven others with decimal points in the wrong place . All fixed up now though. When you have to manually script a bunch of numbers, thats what happens. In fact, the mzones containing the base objects were in the right place. And since there were objects there, nobody noticed that in those areas, there was a large clearing in the center of the scene where the starbase object (the only scripted entity) should be. Which is demonstrated clearly in the case of Midae. Just SNG as an Insurgent EFM and start off on that base and you won't see the starbase building there. Its over at the slope, several km away.

[ 02-13-2002, 14:20: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Guest Hellbinder[CE]

ALL I can say is....

AMEN BROTHER!!!!!!

Quote from Patch 6 RC (VCF)

quote:

Implemented several saved game restore integrity checks. Now when loading a saved game any error is considered fatal. Additional checks are performed to validate memory allocation sizes and ensure that object counts are not negative due to loss of syncronization and corruption.

I am very thankfull for this change. I have several running saves going at the same time because I lost many of my early games due to save/load errors. Always manifested itself in the load of course. Load would be frozen, and several other various issues resulting in having to start over. Of course if you learn to save OFTEN you can avoid lots of these things from ruining your game. My Problem was being into the game so much that 3 hous would pass before I realized i had not saved.

I have trained myself to think differently now and save before every hyperspace jump.

At any rate I am really glad this is being implimented, it will keep little errors from creaping in over time.

Again, Thank you

If you have a geforce card some of the older drivers cause the game to lockup at the end of a save the solution is going to newer drivers, the 27.30's have a few small glitchs in them not half as bad as the 23.11's tho, I would also set my adapters buffering mode to uswc and 64mb in your bios.

[ 02-13-2002, 13:58: Message edited by: xierxior ]

I tried to make this post a new topic, but the forum wouldn't let me.

Gee. I wonder why that would be

My problem is disappearing OC craft. I send a shuttle down to deposit an OC on the surface of a planet. Then, if I tell the OC to go into HALT mode, it disappers from the planet. Also, if I give it waypoints, then the OC goes into HALT mode, it also disappears. According to TACOPS it is still on the planet, although no location is given. But, when I use TACOPS to look for it, the craft is gone. It is not where I left it. The model is just gone from the game. My waypoints are still there however. Also, according to PERSCAN, the crew are still alive and in the vechicle. I've also gone down in the CC to look and the OC is still missing.

I've repeated this on three different planets, including in the Training Mode Triton. I've also saved the game, exitted, rebooted, and returned. The OC is just gone.

Did you actually USE the Support Unit Locator tab in Tacops?

[ 02-14-2002, 13:42: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]