Misc Tech Support Issues III

Supreme Cmdr

Heheh, maybe it's the 'Sygan Triangle' or something.

I tried going back there, (new character, new ship, new patch heheh), but I died in the process. I think it'll be another night of hard play before I can go there and survive.

I never saw the base, other than in your screenshots, but I did see the 'hole' effect, where you appear to be beneath the ground, on another level of ground. Pretty darned wierd, and damned hard to explain, for sure.

I hope if SC goes there, he sees it right away, so he doesn't think I'm just loony.

Idaho

[ 03-06-2002, 22:03: Message edited by: Duncan Idaho ]

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't reproduce. You two (Duncan and xierxior) completely deinstall BCM (Add/Remove Programs), delete the installation directory, reboot PC, defrag HDD, and then reinstall BCM. Then Patch up to 1007 and try and reproduce this quatum quirk you all say you found

If you find it then properly post it. No more bloomin' cryptic posts.

TTFN

[ 03-06-2002, 23:01: Message edited by: Gallion ]

The black hole remains maybe we should just ignore it because we obveusly cant explane it correctly.

I completely deinsalled reinstalled "I do this anyways everytime a new patch is out"

One small issue wih 1.0.0.7, in perscan the system engineers current task "invades" the next colum.

Look where it says repairs on sdeck, im running at 800x600 32bit.

http://outgun.com/scripts/phot oalbum/imageproxy.main?Requester=level&ProxyID=DAJsojcIGq7hA&ProxyName=bcm&PhotoAlbum=MyPhotoAlbum&OriginalImage=1

[ 03-07-2002, 01:04: Message edited by: xierxior ]

I did de-install and reinstall to get to patch 1.0.0.7.

I did get back there last night, it still happens.

But I agree, this problem isn't worth bothering with, it's not in an area of any importance, and since my description did no good, well, I'm staying clear of it.

Idaho

[ 03-07-2002, 05:27: Message edited by: Duncan Idaho ]

quote:

Originally posted by xierxior:

That thing is cool man, land your CC there it el disapear to.. if you send your marines down there they die! its like the black hole of death no other way to explane it.

Thos models I said were underground, well there not really at any one location, any where you click on the planet in tacops, it's like the models follow the camera, or there in the center of the planet, so no matter where you are on that planet there allways under you so I cant give you a location.

Anyways thats the only way to really explane it.

Didn't you say that you destroyed a base there?

HOW did YOU get to that location?

quote:

One small issue wih 1.0.0.7, in perscan the system engineers current task "invades" the next colum.

Look where it says repairs on sdeck, im running at 800x600 32bit.

Its due to the HF column and is not a problem since the display is transparent. If it bothers you, run at higher resolutions.

Well, I went to Sygan. Read this explanation I previously posted in Beta forum.

quote:

LMAO!!!

Man, you guys are funny. I cannot believe you all fell for this!!!

Sygan is mostly marshland, except where there is solid land or I deliberately placed a mzone on the terrain.

Remember how guys used to say that they landed on what looked like terrain, but then sank into the ground? This mostly happens where you see Brown dirt, but with patches of Green or Blue. Thats definitely marshland. And you will sink depending on the size of the craft you are flying. e.g. in fp mode, you can probably stand on a patch of land that a shuttle will sink through - since its wider than the patch and a part of it will touch marshland, causing the terrain collision detect to trigger a breach and sink the craft (or object).

Anyway, download my
Sygan Triangle Myth
saved game and either resume or restore, and you will see that I am on solid ground. I also included some pics in the SHOTS folder of that archive.

Most people are forgeting that TacOps is a very powerful radar system - and they are falling prey to how it works and what it does. Just because you see an object at a distance (on the planet), doesn't mean that all the data is available. In fact, if that area of the terrain has not been generated or updated, the models will not have been positioned even though the TTDs are visible, indicating that something is there. The point is, you are NOT supposed to even be there. Because TacOps has such a long range view (just think: a space region is about two million km edge-to-edge and TacOps can show the entire region!!), it can identify targets and display their TTD's regardless of terrain data. This is why, you can see targets in TacOps that you cannot see outside the bridge/cockpit. In fact, in one of the shots in this archive, you will see the Red TTDs in the distance. You cannot see them from the HUD if you were facing that same direction. Why? Because they don't exist and have not yet been aggregated. Only TacOps knows about them because of its range. And since space has not terrain, there are no adverse effects - unlike on the planet.

So, thats what I think is going on.

[ 03-07-2002, 22:19: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Thats not whats going on, ok in tacops if you click one of thos buildings which apears to be in the middle of nowhere, you will zoom up to it but it's still under the terrain, so it's not in a yet to be renderd zone.

Do you wanna check out my save game, keep it mind it's from 1.0.0.6?

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Well, I went to Sygan. Read this explanation I previously posted in Beta forum.

quote:

LMAO!!!

Man, you guys are funny. I cannot believe you all fell for this!!!

Sygan is mostly marshland, except where there is solid land or I deliberately placed a mzone on the terrain.

Heheh SC,

If that's what it is, sorry, it sure looked strange.

I'd have to wonder why my OC vanished upon stepping out of it, but could still bump into it, and enter it.

But you did say one thing, the bit about marshland: Here's the thing, ONE time, (and one time only), moving around the Tacops view, I did see what looked like water all around me. Maybe I just fell into a bog of some sort.

Oh well, mystery solved, as far as I'm concerned.

Hey Xierxior, maybe that base you're seeing is on the other side of the planet? Seems like a thought, anyway, if the game maps the planet as a sphere while you're on it.

Either way, I think I'm gonna have a bumper sticker made..."I believe in the Sygan Triangle".

Idaho

[ 03-08-2002, 06:36: Message edited by: Duncan Idaho ]

quote:

Thats not whats going on, ok in tacops if you click one of thos buildings which apears to be in the middle of nowhere, you will zoom up to it but it's still under the terrain, so it's not in a yet to be renderd zone.

Do you wanna check out my save game, keep it mind it's from 1.0.0.6?

Rubbish

And no, I don't frigging want your 1.0.06 saved game. Thats not the current version of the game.

Unlike you, I'm (a) standing at the damn location (B) I'm not on march land © I have a properly configured system (d) I am running the current version of the game (e) I have a saved game (not inconclusive screen shots) which proves my point.

As soon as you have CONCRETE proof to the contrary, siddown.

[ 03-08-2002, 07:39: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Duncan Idaho:

Either way, I think I'm gonna have a bumper sticker made..."I believe in the Sygan Triangle".

Idaho

Download my saved game and check it out. I am at the EXACT location (give or take a few yards, since I was walking about). And if you go into Tacops, there are NO buildings within range and on THAT map. So, I don't know what X is talking about.

And if you going to this Sygan Triangle location still causes problems, send me your saved game and I'll check it out.

Remember, if you see a land mass on the top-level GBM (Global BitMap) which is displayed when you first launch TacOps, clicking on water, will put you at a water level location. Due to the pixel resolution, this may not seem obvious, which is why you should not make it a habit of going to parts of a planet that you are not sure of.

[ 03-08-2002, 07:42: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

quote:

quote:

Idaho

Download my saved game and check it out. I am at the EXACT location (give or take a few yards, since I was walking about). And if you go into Tacops, there are NO buildings within range and on THAT map. So, I don't know what X is talking about.

And if you going to this Sygan Triangle location still causes problems, send me your saved game and I'll check it out.

Remember, if you see a land mass on the top-level GBM (Global BitMap) which is displayed when you first launch TacOps, clicking on water, will put you at a water level location. Due to the pixel resolution, this may not seem obvious, which is why you should not make it a habit of going to parts of a planet that you are not sure of.

Ugh, pressed reply somehow before I got to type.

Okay, here's what I did: Loaded your save. You were right. Everything was fine.

Thinking a bit, I decided to play around. I sent my AE to a shuttle. (After going to Sickbay, he was radiated).

Once in the shuttle, I turned and flew away , and up just a little, turned around to scope out the scene...and guess what? The triangle had swallowed my CC. I can target it, but it's underground.

I'm sending a screenshot of that to you.

Then, I dropped my OC near where the CC was. It promptly vanished. I couldn't land, it wouldn't go to 'taxi', so, I flew away a bit, and finally, it went to taxi, and I got out.

Found the OC with the TDU, bumped into it as described before, but it was not visible. Proceeded to walk toward the CC, following the TDU... After a bit of a walk, suddenly, I seemed to fall through the ground or something, and there was the CC, and the OC, but then, the shuttle was gone.

Don't know what to tell you. It was fine, until I repeated my 'shuttle to OC to on foot' performance of my last attempt.

I'll send you a few screens to have a look at. Maybe they'll make some sense to you, they just bewilder me. Heheh.

Idaho

heh, I got the shots but I can't quite make any sense of it all. So, I'm going to go and reproduce your steps using the same saved game.

btw, that 'tear' you see in the Tacops view, is because you placed the camera under the ground. I've already discussed this, so no need to go into any further detail.

quote:

heh, I got the shots but I can't quite make any sense of it all. So, I'm going to go and reproduce your steps using the same saved game.

btw, that 'tear' you see in the Tacops view, is because you placed the camera under the ground. I've already discussed this, so no need to go into any further detail.

Well that got us somewhere then, I was pretty sure that 'tear' or 'crack' in Tacops was what you'd mentioned above.

I'm with you! That's one strange problem. If you do manage to see it, you'll stop thinking I'm completely insane. (You'll just think I'm mostly insane).

Idaho

quote:

Just an update to let you know that the testers and I are looking into this Sygan Triangle phenomenon; but so far, nothing concrete yet. You'll know when I know.

I'm just tickled that my 'Sygan Triangle' name stuck.

Idaho

Hi SC, i had noticed that if i save in a slot which is occupied, when i restore the save game it is corrupted and it freezes the game.

Well this is annoying if you have multiples save games in all slots, because you cannot delete a slot for replacing its contents, you must delete all your profile.

Oh, and i had experienced in the roster and in the CSD that i had negative experience points !

Cheers.

quote:

Originally posted by netshaman:

Hi SC, i had noticed that if i save in a slot which is occupied, when i restore the save game it is corrupted and it freezes the game.

Well this is annoying if you have multiples save games in all slots, because you cannot delete a slot for replacing its contents, you must delete all your profile.

Oh, and i had experienced in the roster and in the CSD that i had negative experience points !

Cheers.

1. Is not possible because the file is deleted when you select it.

In fact, I have a hard time understanding whatever it is you are saying. Try explaining it someone who understands it.

2. Whats wrong with negative EPs?

quote:

Originally posted by netshaman:

Cheers.

hmmm...I have had to save a game over an existing save game slot ("Save and Exit") and subsequently the game may have frozen upon "Resume" or "Restore".

This seems to happen when weather effects are in operation as it was raining everytime it locked.

I went to configuration and turned off the weather effects. This helped and I noticed the thunder for the first time and I think that the sound card driver is locking the occasional game.

A restart or two seems to take care of it (maybe the thunder sound is random and it is not generated on the restarts that work ok). Sounds logical ehh?

quote:

Is not possible because the file is deleted when you select it.

quote:

Whats wrong with negative EPs?

1/I will try to verify that another time,there is something which don't work corectly with my system perhaps.

2/Well based on your answer i suppose it's a normal feature...

Cheers.

Well, i had verified it now, deinstalled and reinstalled the game, all is working fine now.

I'm very sorry for the inconvenience i has caused to you and i apologize.

The next time i find a bug or a similar issue, i will make more attention before saying things without sense.

Cheers.

[ 03-13-2002, 09:18: Message edited by: netshaman ]

Here's an issue I've run into.

While playing BCM, before I finish off a space station, I go and save incase I accidentally destroy it instead of disabling it. When I go and restore the saved file, some times it works, most of the time it locks up my system. Upon rebooting, and starting up BCM, my saved information is gone, My AE isn't even shown in the list, and clicking resume, takes me to make a new AE.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

quote:

Originally posted by LordBane:

Here's an issue I've run into.

While playing BCM, before I finish off a space station, I go and save incase I accidentally destroy it instead of disabling it. When I go and restore the saved file, some times it works, most of the time it locks up my system. Upon rebooting, and starting up BCM, my saved information is gone, My AE isn't even shown in the list, and clicking resume, takes me to make a new AE.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Make sure you are running the latest version of the game. The only way to be sure is to re-install and apply the latest patch.