Misc Tech Support Issues III

Supreme Cmdr

I restore a game I've started and about anywhere from 30 seconds to 10 minutes after I begin play it freezes up. It's done this when I was:

A. Watching marines get teleported from the surface of Earth.

B. Been in the tactical computer finalizing loadouts for my fighters.

C. Very often when I OBSERVE Earth and it is trying to load the mission zone squares.

I've done everything the FAQ has said and it didn't help at all. I've read the forums and I couldn't find a solution to the problem there either. That is my problem.

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. I uninstalled and reinstalled then patched to the newest version of BCM. Here is where the bomb is gonna drop. I am using the Detonator drivers from the NVidia website. I've heard that those aren't so good but I have no idea where to get anything better....

If you'd actually READ the damn FAQ, you'd see links to video drivers there. So obviously, you have NOT read it. PERIOD.

Yes, does it with a fresh game as well as a restored game.

I was also just reading a post by the SC in which he mentioned something about installing Live!Ware 3.0 to fix a game crashing problem and I was thinking maybe that was the same problem I was having. I tried to get Live!Ware 3.0 but I cannot find it anywhere. Anyone know where I can get it?

The last time I checked, there was a forum for sound issues. I mean, WHAT IS THE MATTER WITH YOU? DO YOU HAVE THIS SORBID PRECONCEIVED NOTION THAT **ANYONE** IS HERE TO BABYSIT YOU?

[ 03-21-2002, 07:57: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by IceCold:

Ahhhh... in the install directory, I understand now. Problem solved, Thanks SC!

Ice Cold

Why I oughta....c'mere you!!

Silly n00bs. You can't even get them to follow simple instructions.

[ 03-21-2002, 07:55: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

i hope this is the right spot for this.

im playin my current game, and occationally when i press alt+p for the Perscan, the game crashes to the desktop. i can restart BCM and restore the game with no problems. it happened 2-3 times when i had prisoners, and 1-2 times when i had intruders.

im patched 1.0.07 (2nd release)

about 3 days ago i did a uninstall, then a new install, and patch to fix a problem i had had (it worked), but now Perscan whats to mock me

I have a pecular CTD problem. I started a new game after uninstalling and reinstalling BCM, updating to the .07 patch. I lost one of my fighter craft in a battle, FC1 specifically, and when I got together the cash to buy a new one. I lauched it and had it return to base after a while, and the second it docks, the game crashes to windows. I had save prior to launching the fighter, so I restored and tried it again. Launching, and immediatly ordering it to RTB and as soon as it docks the game crashes. I can launch any of the other fighters, and have them dock with no problem, but FC1, the one I had to replace, crashes the game every time.

quote:

Originally posted by Enigma:

i hope this is the right spot for this.

im playin my current game, and occationally when i press alt+p for the Perscan, the game crashes to the desktop. i can restart BCM and restore the game with no problems. it happened 2-3 times when i had prisoners, and 1-2 times when i had intruders.

Hey Enigma, before you go to PERSCAN just do a quicksave, and it won't crash on you. I've had that problem as well, and it was mentioned before in either an earlier post or another forum. Anywho, just so the quick save and you won't CTD.

Cheers!

quote:

I was also just reading a post by the SC in which he mentioned something about installing Live!Ware 3.0 to fix a game crashing problem and I was thinking maybe that was the same problem I was having. I tried to get Live!Ware 3.0 but I cannot find it anywhere. Anyone know where I can get it?

You know Bandus, if the SC hadn't editted your post you would've gotten the boot.

You can find all nVidia drivers (leaked beta and official) at several websites; www.guru3d.com and www.warp2search.net to name a few. The official drivers released today - 28.32 are buggy.

TTFN

quote:

Originally posted by Gallion:

You know Bandus, if the SC hadn't editted your post you would've gotten the boot.

Actually I deleted his entire follow-up post first time I laid eyes on it this morning.

DELETED

The next person to post in ANY tech support related thread without their sys profile in their sig, WILL BE BANNED WITHOUT WARNING. Anywhere else is fine without it. Don't want to do it, then DON'T POST.

[ 03-22-2002, 07:37: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

ok once again now that my sig is fixed, after launching 10-20 bugnors on planet earth i noticed it lagged horribly. normally i would get 15-20fps, now i get 2fps when i go to earth, or observe it through tacops. i tried disabling all the effects in options which didnt work, i also visited another planet, and it didnt lag at all. i have been playing about 3hours after this happened and it still lags, only earth, whats wrong?

When trying to start game, I get the 3klogo screen then and then game fails with send error to MS prompt... upgraded video card and system board driver, as well as anything I thought could be cuasing error, but problem still persist. I also tried it on same computer with Win98 on another drive. When starting 3klogo, an error is returned saying it can't play the file, but I can get into game. However, when I try to go into configurations screen at any time, game crashes and sends me back to desktop. Read FAQ and followed additional fixes, but still can't seem to resolve problem. Anyone have/had this prob and found a fix or workaround?

Voodoo3 v-cards are not supported.

Upgrade your video card to a video card with drivers that support Directx 8.1

TTFN

[ 03-22-2002, 23:31: Message edited by: Gallion ]

quote:

Originally posted by shawty666:

Anyone have/had this prob and found a fix or workaround?

Voodoo boards are not DX8.1 compliant. Try some of the third party drivers (e.g. X3DFX) mentioned in the FAQ.

To bypass the intro movie, use the /n parameter mentioned in *gasp* the FAQ.

If the game crashes when you go into CONFIG, quite, delete the bcmconfig.ini file, update your drivers and install Windows Media Player 7 or higher and start again.

ALL of this is described in the FAQ in excrutiatingly clear details. Which part of that text is unclear?

quote:

ok once again now that my sig is fixed, after launching 10-20 bugnors on planet earth i noticed it lagged horribly. normally i would get 15-20fps, now i get 2fps when i go to earth, or observe it through tacops. i tried disabling all the effects in options which didnt work, i also visited another planet, and it didnt lag at all. i have been playing about 3hours after this happened and it still lags, only earth, whats wrong?

I noticed you are playing on a somewhat slower system, not to mention a laptop. I'd guess that's the problem. Earth has alot of bases and alot going on. I don't know the inner workings of the game, but I imagine after you launch 20 bugnors there is alot of AI repair work going on in those bases.

Of course I may be way off base who knows.

quote:

Originally posted by Unknown_Saint:

quote:

I noticed you are playing on a somewhat slower system, not to mention a laptop. I'd guess that's the problem. Earth has alot of bases and alot going on. I don't know the inner workings of the game, but I imagine after you launch 20 bugnors there is alot of AI repair work going on in those bases.

Yep.

You have the audacity to say that BCM lags with that system you have in your sig profile

Install BCM on a real computer system and then come back and tell us about this so caled lag

TTFN

[ 03-23-2002, 20:53: Message edited by: Gallion ]

quote:

Originally posted by Noxxae:

You have the audacity to say that BCM lags with
that
system you have in your sig profile

Install BCM on a
real
computer system and then come back and tell us about this so caled
lag

TTFN

On that rig, he shouldn't even be running at any res higher than the defaults of 640x480x16 setup by the game. He's probably running at 1024x768 and wondering why its slow when he goes and raises a ruckus.

10-20 Bugnors. Talk about abuse.

quote:

Originally posted by Noxxae:

im running in the lowest possible resolution, with all the effects turned off, i get 30fps in space and 15-20 on land normally......

So now you know not to go using 20 Bugnors then

I have a similar lag, but if it occurs if I simply visit 20 different mzone scenes. After I've explored a few places on any given planet with tacops, whether I actually interact with them or not, I can do anything on the planet with out teh FPS grinding to a halt. I'm writing mostly to satisfy my curiosity, and I just wanted to know if an area is processed differently once you've visited it, and if there is any way to "close" the area. I hope the question isn't too dumb...

I guess the moral of the story is don't attack 35 different bases at once. Hell one base is more than enough trouble to keep your marines and fighters busy anyway.

OTS weapons are fun but not nearly as satisfying as a properly coordinated strike on a base using air and land power.

Plus you won't grind your cpu to a halt with AI processing.

So, then, it is pretty much impossible for anyone, reguardless of their machine, to visit every area on a planet with the same profile, whether you try all visit them all at one time, or go back to the planet on several occasions?

I don't mean to ask dumb questions, I just want to be clear. If it is a problem with my machine, or with my setup, I'll keep trying to figure out what my problem is, but if it just a fact of the game, I'll just ignore it.

[ 03-25-2002, 00:53: Message edited by: AshSpear ]

quote:

Originally posted by AshSpear:

So, then, it is pretty much impossible for anyone, reguardless of their machine, to visit every area on a planet with the same profile, whether you try all visit them all at one time, or go back to the planet on several occasions?

No. That is not the case. You have a Celeron 700 and a TNT2 card. By all accounts, that system is just barely above the minimum requirements.

When I am building the planetary regions, I visit each one during the same session. And back when I did them, the fastest machine I had to a 1Ghz PIII. Worked just fine.

As the manual and the FAQ states, just because you can do it, doesn't mean that you should. And in your case. Don't. If the game were a canned, railed type of game, you'd never even see 0.0009% of the game (as evident by the two ACM scenarios). So, just because you have the freedom to do a lot of things, doesn't mean that you should if you don't have the system to run it.