Misc Tech Support Issues III

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought I already posted this but can't find it on the board anywhere. Maybe it got moved but I don't know where it, or the answer is. More likely I hit a wrong button.

Anyway, I can't get two of many things fixed at Galcom HQ. They gave me parts to fix everything else. However there are two items at zero percent, as in totally busted.

Niether the repair or replace options are valid. Checks of supply show Galcom has plenty to fix it. Tried buying the parts to repair it myself in space. Had enough parts but no option to repair.

Not a matter of having engineers either. Can't select the repair option to even assign them to it. The other repairs were started successfully. Can't get these zero percent items fixed.

(Bluddy insurgent hill... I swear it jumped up in the way)

1. You can't repair zero percent items. They can only be replaced.

2. As far as I know, you're not allowed to replace systems while docked at a station.

Try purchasing a replacement in Tradcom, then launch your ship. You should be able to assign engineers to a replacement task.

By the way, which systems were busted?

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Menchise ]

HI SC

Hope your feleing a little less stressed today m8, i've got a question about save game files, i read somewhere else in the forum that 1 or 2 people have had a slight problem with the save game aspect, i myslef seem to be have a problem around the quick save option, let me explain , i use the quick save option to gaurd aginst the ocasional CTD , but ive noticed that fter using the quick save option a number of times in sucession (not sure of the exact amount will look into that apsect)when i try loading from resume i get a .SAV file format error , are u aware of any other reports of this ?.....i have repoduced this twice , where upon re-loading it locks up and displys .SAV file format error....

MR_PARIS

quote:

Originally posted by Mr_Paris:

i read somewhere else in the forum that 1 or 2 people have had a slight problem with the save game aspect,

The save game issues you read about and what you are posting, are completely different.

As long as you don't try using older saved games, they do work.

quote:

but ive noticed that fter using the quick save option a number of times in sucession (not sure of the exact amount will look into that apsect)[/QB]

1. If you're not sure and don't have the specifics, how do you think that helps me? What have I said about people providing sketchy details and either (a) expect me to go on a wild goose chase (which I've said I'm NEVER going to do again) and (B) expect me to fill in the blanks? Which I'm not going to do either.

2. Furthermore, I don't have a clue what you mean by when i try loading from resume . If you're trying to restore a game you saved using quick save. You can't. It wasn't designed for that.

Anyway, once you have EXACT steps for creating the problem and with a BRAND NEW GAME PROFILE, post again and we will go from there.

If you cannot reproduce it 100% reliably, there's nothing I can do about it. All I know is, it works fine here.

[ 12-17-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Unusual problem (possible abuse)

I have my ship full with minirals (SC, OC, Drones)

Cargo bay2 reads at 0 (completly full)

when i dock with the station and check in Logistix Cargo bay2 is still 0

But when go to trade come Cargo bay 2 changes

to -324 when i check back in Logistix its -324 as well, and if i keep it below 0 i will have unlimited cappacity for minirals.

Save file availble.

One of my AE's can't return to orbit on Ramis. I was biding my time puttering around groundside waiting on an engine upgrade with some mining drones doing busywork. After I turned on the important stuff again to lift off (like the engine) and picked up the drones, when I tried to leave the planet I get a CTD or other lockup on confirming I want to go to space (above 30K altitude). Save game submitted as per instructions.

Clarification: I think I just figured out how the quick-saves work after doing some reading around here. Given my at-the-time ignorance, use the full-game "restore" to load my profile.

[ 12-18-2001: Message edited by: Joel Schultz ]

Hi, this is my first post on this forum, so please do not bite my head off if my profile link does not work correctly (i tryed and will correct it if it does not)

I have read a few posts from people useing windows xp having trouble with save games.

I am also receiving the invalid sav format error.

I uninstalled the game, killed the folder, deleted all my old save games, reinstalled the game and patched it correctly from inside the folder.

I have done this 3 times now with the same result.

I play for about an hour, save and exit, play for about another hour, save and exit, etc.

Then on the third save when trying to reload the save game or resume the game it loads to a point, then stops with the invalid sav format error

I have my HDD ntfs format, I do not know whether that is at all relevant or different from others not having problems.

Hope this info helps.

System Profile Info

[ 12-19-2001: Message edited by: Dunks ]

quote:

Originally posted by EAGLE:

Unusual problem (possible abuse)

I have my ship full with minirals (SC, OC, Drones)

Cargo bay2 reads at 0 (completly full)

when i dock with the station and check in Logistix Cargo bay2 is still 0

But when go to trade come Cargo bay 2 changes

to -324 when i check back in Logistix its -324 as well, and if i keep it below 0 i will have unlimited cappacity for minirals.

Save file availble.

Looks like sometimes the cargo bay in Logistix was not being updated. Plugged.

This one is harmless btw

quote:

Originally posted by Dunks:

I have read a few posts from people useing windows xp having trouble with save games.

Unrelated.

Anyway, defrag your hard drive and run a system check on it. As long as you have patched up to 1.0.02 ***PROPERLY*** You should have NO problems with saved games. In fact, in the past day, I've received no less than four* saved games with issues that needed investigating and I was able to restore all of them on my primary winXP system with no problems.

*For some reason, Robert Walls decided to send me a saved game - WITHOUT - me asking him for it. Then of course, I go and check it, and the saved game is from an older version of BCM. And top it off, my reply to him bounced, because he still has his @home email address in his reply-to. Go figure.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Unrelated.

Anyway, defrag your hard drive and run a system check on it. As long as you have patched up to 1.0.02 ***PROPERLY*** You should have NO problems with saved games. In fact, in the past day, I've received no less than four* saved games with issues that needed investigating and I was able to restore all of them on my primary winXP system with no problems.

Thats is very Similiar to the post that i posteda few days back with an identical problem have checked and re-installed, the problem persists when u quit out of a game for varoius reasons (CTD ect)then reload BCM and click on resume game on the main menu , it loads upto a point then just hangs there , and you get the .save format error , if its any help (probaly not i hear some say lol) this was not evident on any other patch only the latest and only menifests after playing for a while and using the quick save game function over the course of playing for a number of hours, although "RESTORING" a game does not manifest this problem only using the "RESUME" function.

quote:

Originally posted by Mr_Paris:

Thats is very Similiar to the post that i posteda few days back with an identical problem have checked and re-installed, the problem persists when u quit out of a game for varoius reasons (CTD ect)then reload BCM and click on resume game on the main menu , it loads upto a point then just hangs there , and you get the .save format error , if its any help (probaly not i hear some say lol) this was not evident on any other patch only the latest and only menifests after playing for a while and using the quick save game function over the course of playing for a number of hours, although "RESTORING" a game does not manifest this problem only using the "RESUME" function.

That would be the case if you are using invalid saved games.

I personally extensively tested both save game options and there is NO such anomaly.

So, check the integrity of your install and quit spamming my threads.

[ 12-20-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

*For some reason, Robert Walls decided to send me a saved game - WITHOUT - me asking him for it. Then of course, I go and check it, and the saved game is from an older version of BCM. And top it off, my reply to him bounced, because he still has his @home email address in his reply-to. Go figure.

quote:

Sorry about the inconvienance I cuased, I thought I was passing useful info, guess that what I get for thinking... I seemed to of not followed the proper protocol, will not happen again. E-mail address is now @attbi.com.

Re: the issue about fixing a 0% status item.

To reiterate:

I'm at Galcom HQ... They have parts to do either the repair or replace... NIETHER repair or replace lights up. [Galcom HQ won't use the replace parts as the replace option doesn't activate]

Don't have the money in game in buy the replacement and try repairing in space. Can't get the parts from Galcom HQ without paying as the "replace" option does not activate to let me load on the replacement part.

Currently playing a different saved game now. Still, I'm concerned about this bug. It could still occur again.

It's not a bug.

Players are not allowed to replace systems when docked at a station.

If you don't have the money to buy replacements, and you can't sell anything to get that money, then you can't replace it, period. It's a rule, not a bug.

You also didn't mention which systems were busted. If they're not essential for the operation of the CC, then launch the ship, find some cargo pods somewhere, and go back. Hopefully, you'll have found enough valuable items to sell so that you can afford to buy the replacement. If they're critical systems (ie you can't operate the CC properly without them) then you're screwed.

Whoohoo my first tech support demand!

Random CTD - using 1.0.0.03 final.

Haven't tried simplifying what to do so :

- Start new career, ter/mil/cmdr/sunflash/iss

- Launch, target Titan and establish planetfall.

- Put fengineers in shuttles, put waypoints to deploy drones. Make them do it and come back after.

- Land the CC. Put order to halt and engage a/p. Put the AE in sc1. Launch.

- Crash on the land doing some damage.

- Go in space, dock at ISS.

- login, click on craft, then click repairs.

- click on cargo. CTD no error

Doing the same thing BUT going at GHQ does the same thing.

[ 12-22-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]

Good afternoon, SC. A small issue for you...

It seems that the CC's autopilot is ignoring the reduced maximum velocity which is caused by towing another vessel. I am a Ter/Mil Battlecruiser Mk III. I noticed this issue while towing a Questar cruiser and a Vandal fighter.

To reproduce:

1) Hyperjump to any location in the current region, so that the bug may be observed.

2) Lock onto any vessel of sufficient size to reduce your maximum velocity with your tractor beam.

3) Attempt to hyperjump back to your starting location while towing the captured vessel.

When the autopilot is on, my velocity was 1349.999... m/s. However, while towing the Questar without the autopilot, my maximum velocity was about 1040 m/s, and while towing the Vandal, my maximum velocity was about 1320 m/s.

I am not sure if this is intentional or a bug, but I thought I should report it.

Not a bug, you did not have the SET THRUSTER FACTOR (0-9) set to full speed (9) or you did not have j/s throttle set to full speed.

TTFN

Enjoy your vacation.

[ 12-22-2001: Message edited by: Gallion ]

Here's a couple small first-person issues I've encountered.

1) I am unable to capture and secure an enemy starbase, after it emits an SOS signal, with a ground vehicle. I can dock with and capture enemy starstations emitting SOS (in a CC), but enemy starbases won't be converted to my side (in an OC), despite being able to dock with them once they reach SOS.

If its not in the manual, you can't do it.

2) I've noticed sometimes that I can turn the game into 'screen saver mode' by using the third-person camera before activating a DJP or supply station. That is, the game runs, without crashing, but none of the options on the available menu work. However, I can't accurately reproduce it (as it usually works), so I can't claim it as a bug yet. I'll try my best to get a working test-case... I figured I'd let you know before-hand, though.

And the problem is what, exactly?

3) My gun will misfire once after I step through a DJP, presumably due to the click I had made while selecting the destination. Perhaps there should be a one-second delay before weapons can be fired after entering a DJP?

Works as designed

4) The manual states:

quote:

You can transfer inventory items to a cargo pod for later deployment. This pod can then be ejected from the craft for instances where you need to give another player items in multiplayer or if you just want to hide your stash. To do this, left-click on the cargo item from the list and the transfer screen will appear. Now use the UP, DOWN, or ALL tabs to transfer the desired amounts. You can select up to 500 units of 20 different item.

You can then either use the EJECT tab to jettison those items into space (and lose them!) or you can later eject the pod (with all items in it) from the bridge or drop it on a planet using the transporter.

I can't find the cargo pod icon on the bridge of my CC (in an OC and SC it is there, but not on a CC). Was this a mistake in the wording of the page? Or is the icon missing by accident?

(The transporter method almost undoubtedly works, but I haven't tried it. But that's not the problem here. )

See manual p68 (first line). Also, bridge can be refered to as cockpit due to the similarity in systems. There is no cargo icon on capital ships (carrier, cruiser, transport) because they are not used for that purpose. Which is why they use the transporter instead. In mp the Logistix option will allow the pod to be ejected, in much the same way it can be discarded. The bridge of the CC will not be used for that.

5) I encountered a situation where, after docking my OC with a starbase, I was unable to perform any repairs because the starbase had no systems engineers. I am aware of the fact that the base is supposed to have a REPAIRS button, but that was covered when the time-update refreshed. However, as with #2, this is pending research, so you can safely ignore this for now.

So why'd you post about it if you wanted it to be ignored?

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Not a bug, you did not have the SET THRUSTER FACTOR (0-9) set to full speed (9) or you did not have j/s throttle set to full speed.

TTFN

If only it were that simple.

Here is a more dramatic example... Have your AE launch in a shuttle and tow your CC back to Galcom HQ from a distance of 200. I have done this from a new game. I also made sure that my thrust factor was set at 9. I do not use my joystick, and have verified that it is turned off in the config.

Velocity with autopilot active while towing: 2249 mps

Velocity at thrust 9 with autopilot inactive while towing: 563 mps

P.S. I hope my System Info link works now...

Spuzzum : you can't play with cargo pods with a cc.

About Machine1010, I got curious and fired up my game. What I did is launch in a StormCarrier from hexar, and fly away from it while my AE was going in one of the shuttles.

Note : the StormCarrier max speed is 750ms, and the shuttle mk2 is 2350ms

Then, I launched my shuttle and tractored the Stormcarrier. I went to 0 then put ab on. My max speed was about 540ms. Then I target hexar, press "f" to create a flight path target and put a/p on. Suprise! My shuttle jumps to 2150 in a matter of seconds, and disabling the ap make me gradually slow down to my original speed.

CONCLUSION : the effect of "tractor drag" doesn't work as it should with a/p on.

and Machine1010, just be sure to put the url on one line.

[ 12-23-2001: Message edited by: Epsilon 5 ]