Misc Tech Support Issues III

Supreme Cmdr

┬À Pentium III 500Mhz or equivalent AMD processor

┬À 128 MB RAM

┬À 32MB DirectX 8 compliant 3D graphics card with TnL

┬À 16x CD-ROM

┬À DirectX 8 compliant Joystick

These are the recommended specs from the product info page... Rather than being barely minumum, my specs seem to be rather double the minimum, and even in excess of the recommended, so I think I'm justifyed in being a bit disappointed that I can't vist the same planet multiple times without the grinding to an unplayably slow framrate.

Reguardless, I thank you for you explanations and I'm satisfied that there is nothing broken, and nothing to be fixed short of buying a new computer, and I'll enjoy the great game inspite of the unfortunate limitations imposed upon it by my system.

Thank you for you time.

[ 03-25-2002, 13:53: Message edited by: AshSpear ]

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by AshSpear:

These are the recommended specs from the product info page... Rather than being barely minumum, my specs seem to be rather double the minimum, and even in excess of the recommended,

A Pentium III 500Mhz is faster than a Celeron 766 - which you have obviously overclocked.

A TNT2 card is an antique card and hardly meets the specification of a DirectX 8 compliant card.

And if you are going to quote the game's requirements, at least get it right and verbatim.

quote:

so I think I'm justifyed in being a bit disappointed that I can't vist the same planet multiple times without the grinding to an unplayably slow framrate.

Nothing is stopping you from doing this. But if you go and do something foolish like detonating 20 Bugnors on a planet (like the previous poster), you only have yourself to blame. It ranks up there with trying to run the game at 1280x1024x32 on a sub-par system. Same thing. Play the game according to your system and it will scale accordingly. There is NO reason for anyone to do such things as detonating 20 Bugnors on Earth - because there is no mission that requires it. That previous poster did it because he can and because he wanted to. You have to pay the price of such actions.

[ 03-25-2002, 14:42: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Fair enough with the bungors, but my problems don't need bungors, all I have to do is look at things in tacops.

The celeron, also, is not overclocked. That's how it came as part of a standard packaged IBM.

Upgrade to a newer video card.

TTFN

[ 03-25-2002, 18:54: Message edited by: Gallion ]

quote:

Originally posted by Noxxae:

ok detonating 20 bugnors was a stupid thing to do, im curious tho, will i ever be able to return to earth!!??? SC how long if ever will it take for things to calm down on earth?

Sure you can return to Earth. I don't see why you can't. Most assets get rebuilt after a couple of hours of game time. You can also use the Playmod cheat tool to advance time if you don't want to wait.

I'm going to try this again since now I may be in a better position to state my problem. I'm still having the game crash on me. One "test" I've been using is the following:

1. I got to TACOPS, OBSERVE Earth, load up a Bugnor, target, launch. Then I got back to SPACE and zoom in on the Bugnor. It's on course to Earth and then boom. The game CTDs.

I've upgraded all the drivers for my sound card and my video card. I've checked and made all the bios settings from the FAQ. I've removed everything from the AGP slots on my MOB except my video card and my sound card and made sure nothing was sharing an IRQ with the video card. I've turned all the sounds off in game. I've tried restoring saved games, starting new ones. It still CTDs after a few moments. I'm truly not sure what to do SC. I'm not trying to be dumb, ignorant, or any of those other colorful things. I'm just not honestly not sure what to do. I'm asking....please try to help me.

I'd have to guess you've got system config problems, Bandus.

I regularly drop Bugnors all over earth, and the moon. (in fact, I've destroyed all non-ally non-neutral bases on the Moon...probably over 40 bases!!). I use tacops to watch the missiles hit every time. I never have a problem with CTD's doing that. (Never have a speed problem either, but then I guess my system config's responsible for that).

My advice: Reinstall DX 8.1, then recheck your drivers: Look for Nvidia leaked beta drivers version 27.42. Go to Creative Lab's website, and download the latest driver package for your SB Live from there, (be sure to get the version for YOUR card, not for the Live 5.1 for example). And lastly, be sure you're running the latest Via 4-1 drivers for your motherboard.

Also be sure you're running the current Windows Media Player. Update it from Microsoft if you need to.

Reread the FAQ here thoroughly. There are hints that can improve stability there. (Such as using command line options to disable 3D sound...for some with SB Live! cards this helps immensely in killing crashes).

Hope some of this info helps.

Idaho

Yep. Tried all of that. None of those things helped. The problem change with the 3D Sound off though. Instead of crashing in the game it crashed after it was done loading all the region scripts. I turned the 3D sound back on and it let me get in game and then crashed per the last post I made...

quote:

Originally posted by Bandus:

Yep. Tried all of that. None of those things helped. The problem change with the 3D Sound off though. Instead of crashing in the game it crashed after it was done loading all the region scripts. I turned the 3D sound back on and it let me get in game and then crashed per the last post I made...

Then try un-installing and re-installing

I gave that a shot and it still had no effect. Though a note of interest may be that without the patch installed it simply crashes right after it shows the company logo but when it's patched it crashes where I mentioned earlier. I'm going to try and drop a GeForce3 128 MB video card in my computer later on and see if maybe my video card simply can't handle it, even with all the video and sound options turned off....

XP-P will help. Also, replace the SB Live! with an Audigy Gamer. Those drivers are more better (like that proper grammer ?) than the sucky SB Live! drivers.

TTFN

[ 03-28-2002, 18:24: Message edited by: Gallion ]

Really Gallion?

I'd wondered about that, as I've been itching to ditch this Live! for over a year now...

Can't say I've been quite as willing to risk another Creative product. Yet, doesn't appear to be much competing with the Audigy at present.

Idaho

quote:

Originally posted by xierxior:

Start new game, pick elite force marine carrer pick earth city2 ter/ins as starting base, you will start about ten miles away from the city.

Was trying to check out the fps carrer..

Sounds like someones using debug mode.

It should not be possible to start from city, only from starbases and navalbases.

I will check it later today.

quote:

Originally posted by xierxior:

Start new game, pick elite force marine carrer pick earth city2 ter/ins as starting base, you will start about ten miles away from the city.

Was trying to check out the fps carrer..

Yeah, the starting location co-ordinates are missing a digit. Fixed.

btw, in one of the patches, I included the ability to start from some cities on Earth.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

btw, in one of the patches, I included the ability to start from some cities on Earth.

Well, then it seems Gallion has a update job coming on for appendix

DELETED

If you are going to post in the tech support forum, your sys profile should be in your sig. Read the announcements thread for more info.

[ 04-06-2002, 14:04: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Just because the game doesn't load, doesn't necessarily mean that it is the saved game - because once it has loaded, the next thing it does is display the graphics screen. This has been discussed here at length. Read this thread in its entirely if you want more info. Short of that, follow the instructions in the archives on how to start from scratch with a patch. Also read video section of the FAQ; especially where it discusses lowering 3D acceleration.

[ 04-06-2002, 14:04: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

It may be a stupid issue ( or not an issue at all ) but here it is :

The "9" and "0" keys don't seem to work in the CC ( they work in FP mode ). So I can't hyperdrive or disengage thrust.

I've read the FAQ, tried some things, but I couldn't fix it.

Have I missed something ?