System Configuration Issues

Supreme Cmdr

SC, I'm still having the problem with some stations being rendered improperly in 1.0.06.

I have found that the stations models are rendered fine with 1.0.06 with the 1.0.05 compliance patch applied, but not with 1.0.06. (I am not trying to use old 1.0.05 games with the new version.)

Now, since this seems to be something specific to my system, I've been trying to figure out what the problem is, but to no avail.

I've tried the 23.11, 23.12, & 27.42 DETS with the same results.

Uninstalling BCM and reinstalling has not changed anyhting either.

SO far, the StarStations that I have seen to be rendered improperly have been the Type 1,2,3,4 and 6 stations.

But Galcom HQ, Gammula, new america and type 5,7, 8 stations are rendered fine.

I have not yet looked at Starbases.

Here are some shots:

2 3 4 5 6 7

I'm completely lost as to what my problem is. Any trouble shooting help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I'm really itching to play in 1.0.06 but I can't until I figure out why this keeps happening to me.

Cheers!

[ 03-01-2002, 14:55: Message edited by: Fractux ]

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno. But its definitely a driver or driver config (Z-buffer eg) problem. Also try running in 32-bit mode etc etc

This has all be rehashed before, so, you're on your own.

Once you've applied 1.0.06, you might want to load one of the problem models in BCStudio (no longer available for download, so ask someone who has it) and see if it renders fine or not.

[ 03-01-2002, 15:54: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Fractux,

Just a quick question: Do you perchance have Antialiasing enabled?

If so, may be for nothing, but try disabling it and running the game.

I just recall having run across a mention in another game about models getting disjointed on occasion if AA is enabled, something about memory fragmentation onboard the vid card in certain situations.

Again, might be no help, but on the offchance, you never know.

Idaho

As a note, I'm getting the same bad rendering thing with the starstations. It's even misrendering the same exact way and we have different cards (but similar drivers, looks like). I'm at a loss there. Turning off or altering antialiasing didn't help.

Basically everything else including starbases and ships are okay.

I was playing around with just about every option in the Nvidia toolset, including the texel alignment and such, and none of that's it. Everything now is back to defaults, DirectX compliance, etc.

As per SC's suggestion, though, the Z-buffers or some such thing like that might need adjusting away from the defaults, considering the nature of the stations and their hugeness, etc. But, where is this set?

Might this have anything to do with the fact that 90% of the time, I can't successfully restart BCM after quitting normally without rebooting first? Admittedly this also makes it tough for me to test BCM with changed video settings, but I have patience. Or rather, for BCM I can make an exception to my general lack of patience.

Much sincerity,

Bowemeth

There is nothing new in the renderer which would cause that problem - unless (a) you have incorrect drivers installed (B) you've been pissing around with driver settings.

And if you are running drivers (27.70 hehe) which nobody else is, then its your problem, isn't it?

Uninstall and start from scratch. No way around it.

[ 03-04-2002, 07:55: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

SC, I did a clean install of Win2k Pro and proceded to update it and to install all the drivers for my system. I didn't install anything else, just BCM and the necessary drivers.

Upon loading up BCM I still get the same thing. i didn't mess with any driver settings [like using nvmax or geforece tweak].

So, I'm stumped. The only think I have not tried is to adjust the "Adjust Z-buffer depth to rendering depth" sine it has been removed from the driver access pannel. I'm wondering if there's a specific registry key I can modify to test and see if this may solve the problem.

Other than that, I can't see what else it would be since I did a clean install.

BTW, I just checked with BCstusio and the stations are rendered incorrectly as well.

[ 03-04-2002, 16:18: Message edited by: Fractux ]

quote:

Originally posted by Fractux:

BTW, I just checked with BCstusio and the stations are rendered incorrectly as well.

Then your environment is definitely hosed. Nothing I can do to help since it has nothing to do with BCM.

Thats what you get for pissing about with drivers you know nothing about.

[ 03-04-2002, 16:33: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

I was just trying something out and I cam across something strange.

I wanted to check the models from 1.0.06 so I made a new directory and moved only "bcm.exe" into it so that I could install the 1.0.06 patch into that directory. THen I installed BCstudio into this directory to view the models. When I looked at them [while they had no textures] the models were rendered fine.

Then I used the BCstudio I had installed into this directory to look at the models in the real BCM directory that contained all the games files and they too were rendered fine, though they had no textures either.

But, when using the BCstudio I had installed in the actual BCM folder the models in both the game directory, and the alternate directory were rendered wrong.

I don't know if this is a dead end or if I'm running in circles here, but why would this be happening and does it give you any insight as to what the problem could be?

Or it this just something that occurs because of the way the BCstudio program works?

Sincerely,

Trying to figure out what the problem is

Alright, I tried the UC-to-USWC thing from the BIOS, which I think was in Advanced Settings --> Chip Configuration, or at least near there. The way Xierxior put it, it sounded like a good idea, but it didn't fix the problem.

I have some questions on how to set certain things that were mentioned so far, namely:

1. the Z-buffer settings, that the SC mentioned.

This problem has NOTHING to do with Z-buffer settings. The Z-Buffer problem during DX7 was a driver problem.

2. the AGP aperature RAM size, that Duncan Idaho mentioned.

3. the video adapter RAM size, that Xierxior mentioned.

Also keep in mind that about the only similarities that Fractux and I have in our systems are that the vid drivers sound to be both Nvidia Det XP drivers (though different versions and made for different OSs), and our BIOSs are both Award type.

Cheers,

Bowemeth

[ 03-05-2002, 09:00: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Fractux or someone with BCStudio and a homepage, could you make it so I could download a copy of BCStudio, please? I've got something I want to try as a test, and it's too complicated to explain in the time allotted me this morning.

Thanks,

Bowemeth

Bowemoth,

Hmm, the Video Aperature size, (it's the same thing Xervier was talking about), is a BIOS option, and should be set to 64megs by default. You could poke around in your BIOS to find it, but I'm guessing unless you (or someone else) changed it, it's probably already set to 64megs.

Could be worth checking anyway, but I wouldn't put a lot of hope in it.

Idaho

quote:

Originally posted by Bowemeth:

Fractux or someone with BCStudio and a homepage, could you make it so I could download a copy of BCStudio, please? I've got something I want to try as a test, and it's too complicated to explain in the time allotted me this morning.

Thanks,

Bowemeth

Bowemeth BCStudio is downloadable from downloads page.

[ 03-05-2002, 10:33: Message edited by: Papi ]

quote:

Or it this just something that occurs because of the way the BCstudio program works?

There you go again, pissing around in things you know nothing about. AND not reading docs. If you READ the BCS docs, you will know why the models are not rendered. I'm not going to tell you.

You need to use the Detonator Destroyer and remove ALL traces of the nVidia drivers. Then install a driver that works.

[ 03-05-2002, 06:51: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Sweet, I got it working. Many thanks to Gallion for his simple yet easily overlooked instruction.

Those instructions are cleared highlighted in the FAQ and in a topic located in the forum thread archives.

Uninstall. Then delete the BCM directory off your harddrive. Reboot. When Windows is back up, reinstall BCM and copy the whole patch file to the BCM directory, and run the patch from there. It should immediately recognize where BCM is installed, automatically. Then run BCM, and the station rendering (or whatever) should work.

Oddly enough, though, by Backspace function is no longer working in FP mode. I'll try remapping it to something else in bcmconfig.ini.

There you go again.

This is with default settings to everything regarding video properties.

Have phun!

Bowemeth

[ 03-05-2002, 08:49: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

You need to use the Detonator Destroyer and remove ALL traces of the nVidia drivers. Then install a driver that
works

Don't do it! Just do what I said before with the patch in the BCM dir and you should be set.

Bowemeth

Guest Grayfox

quote:

Don't do it! Just do what I said before with the patch in the BCM dir and you should be set.

hmmm ever think there might be "driver residue" left in the registry??? or the windows sys folder??? if im not mistaken, DD will remove ALL nvidia driver files from both. thus giving you a thorough clean so you can reinstall drivers that work.

otherwise he might run the risk of leftover "driver residue" still affecting what hes doing.

quote:

Originally posted by Grayfox:

hmmm ever think there might be "driver residue" left in the registry??? or the windows sys folder??? if im not mistaken, DD will remove ALL nvidia driver files from both. thus giving you a thorough clean so you can reinstall drivers that work.

otherwise he might run the risk of leftover "driver residue" still affecting what hes doing.

Considering that he made the most stupid mistake ever (thank Gallion for setting him straight), even though the procedure for patching is CLEARLY outlined in several places, only a complete tit would listen to any advice he has to give.

Yes, DD removes ALL driver traces - and that route is always suggested if a driver install is suspect.

Guest Grayfox

quote:

I can't use the detonator destryer program as I am running Win2K and it is for use only on Win95,98,98SE, or ME.

then if you know how, use the regedit command and manually remove them from your registry. if you dont know how to do it, find someone who knows what theyre doing or DONT mess with the registry as you might really frag your system.

or you could go with the APK registry cleaning engine which cleans out excess or erroneous registry entries that uninstallers miss. it runs on win 95/98/98se/me/2k, pretty much any version of win32 OS. you can find it at cnet downloads. choice is yours

[ 03-05-2002, 19:44: Message edited by: Grayfox ]

I noticd a few of you were haveing problems with perscan, I recently fixed it by removeing nv4.dll/ini from the system32 and inf folders the problem is detonator destroyer misses thes files.

There from the 1280's which come with winxp, they apeard to have been causeing a driver conflict.

Anyways sorry sc. For the confilct of thinking it was a bug and posting in the tech support forums..

[ 03-05-2002, 20:37: Message edited by: xierxior ]

Hey Fractux go into your bcmmodelanimations folder and delete.

Post results.

sstat1.ini

sstat2.ini

sstat3.ini

sstat4.ini

sstat5.ini

sstat6.ini

sstat7.ini

sstat8.ini

gammula.ini

galcomhq.ini

Dont ask me why this fixes it, all thes do is control the hanger bay door animations which arnt enabled anyways.

Before files deleted: http://outgun.com/scripts/phot oalbum/imageproxy.main?Requester=level&ProxyID=dHFwMZT9jVx5Q&ProxyName=bcm&PhotoAlbum=MyPhotoAlbum&OriginalImage=1

After files deleted: http://outgun.com/scripts/photoalbum/image...OriginalImage=1

[ 03-07-2002, 00:31: Message edited by: xierxior ]