System Configuration Issues

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry, yes I am using Windows XP Home.

Don't know if it is significant, but before I posted the problem I went through the process again to make sure of it all and I noticed that in the install program, at the section where it asks you for whom you wish to install BCM, the user and Computer Owner name changes when in the different accounts.

This may just be BCM recognising the different accounts and responding accordingly, but I thought I that I had better mention it in case it suggests some underlying fault in my Windows setup.

quote:

Originally posted by Nick Comber:

This may just be BCM recognising the different accounts and responding accordingly,

BCM has nothing to do with the installer. The only time BCM ever comes into play, is after everything has been installed by the installer.

The installer used is Installshield and when installing software on WIN2K/XP, thats the options you have for security reasons. Try what Duncan said and see how it goes.

Installshield comes up with the all users selection automatically (at least it does for me), as such I tend to leave it on this.

However just to make sure I also tried it on the other, Only for me, setting and also, in case it had a problem recognising the default without any actions in that screen, clicking first on Only for me and then back to all users. The same problem occurred both times.

Anything new with this Nick?

Anyway, do this for me.

Start from SCRATCH and after applying the 1.0.07 (Full) patch, along with the script update mentioned in the VCF

1. open up an MSDOS console window
  2. change to the folder where BCM is installed
    e.g. type cd "c:program files3000adBattlecruiser Millennium"

3. once there, type dir /s > bcmfiles.txt
  4. send that bcmfiles.txt file to [email protected] and let me check it.

Well, I'm still getting the problem but I have tried a few more things.

I tried putting it into the shared folders in case that would disable WinXP's problem, it didn't.

I then uninstalled, deleted the folder and checked for errors on both drives and then defragmented them, reinstalled BCM, copied the patch over, applied it and then extracted the script update into the BCM folder and it still didn't work.

There was one odd thing though, when I defragmented the c drive a number of files could not be moved. While most of these were system32 files which presumably have a good reason for staying where they were, one was Documents and SettingsMike CumberLocal SettingsApplication DataIconCache.db, which, to my admittedly untrained and inexperienced eye, seems significant in the context of the problem I'm getting.

Hope you got the text file, sorry it took so long.

That file is not important, so don't worry about it.

However, you should be running ScanDisk, not disk fragmenter.

I got the text file and all the files are correct.

All I think of is that your winXP install or admin configuration, is wrong. In fact, on a winXP or win2K installation of any software, once you are prompted who to install for, that selection becomes automatic.

If I were you, I'd start hollering at whoever installed your OS because either (a) they botched it (B) someone (maybe you), tinkered with the security settings and botched it.

Neither BCM nor the Installshield installer, have anything to do with how winXP handles security settings. And if you try to run a program and the OS stops it, thats the security system doing that, not the software (since it already installed and done with).

You need to locate an expert and have them check your winXP security settings and fix it so that default user has full admin rights.

• 3 weeks later...

This one has me stumped.......

As you can see from my profile, I have just put together a new system, which is a dual-boot Win98se / WinXP (home) on 2 separate HDDs. I can play the game no probs whatsoever from 98, but in XP, I get a similar problem which Dredd reported a while back; I get the BC:M intro screen and then nothing. I d/l the CDROM drivers and Mobo chipset drivers as recommended, but no change. BC:M was installed under 98, but this shouldn't be a problem should it? I did install it under XP also, but the same thing happened.

FYI, I have upgraded (for the time being) to the 28.32 drivers in XP. I'm not sure whether to keep them yet or not.

Forgot to say, running BC:M ver 1.007

Edit:

Fresh install and all is well. No further action required

[ 04-24-2002, 17:22: Message edited by: Paddy Gregory ]

Hmmm, now it won't run under Win98. I can start a game, log out and quit the programme. Then when I try and start again, I get the BCM screen, then an ileegal operation error with the following details:

BCM caused an invalid page fault in

module at 0000:b00dc050.

Registers:

EAX=dd08a000 CS=015f EIP=b00dc050 EFLGS=00010286

EBX=00000004 SS=0167 ESP=00e4e8f8 EBP=00e48912

ECX=00000e52 DS=0167 ESI=dc488900 FS=0157

EDX=00e4e8f0 ES=0167 EDI=dd082bff GS=0000

Bytes at CS:EIP:

Stack dump:

00000fe9 00000327 0000fbbe 8058fd00 01672007 a0000000 892cdd08 03271020 00000e52 00000004 b00dc050 0000015f dc48f000 2733896e 0e520327 f0000000

This is gibberish to me, but if you can point me in the right directio, I'd be much obliged.

BTW using 27.42 drivers, but haven't updated profile yet.

Edit: Hold out on this one, it seems I was getting probs all over 98se, so I'm re-installing it.

[ 04-24-2002, 05:52: Message edited by: Paddy Gregory ]