Misc Tech Support Issues IV

Supreme Cmdr

Guest Paradox 01

I recently bought BC: Millennium, and when I tried to play the game after installing it, all I got was some damn "Safe Disc" logo that popped up for about 10 seconds then...nada, zip, zilch, big fat goose egg. I've tried opening the game various ways (shortcuts, Program Files>BCM, everything) and nothing works. The game installs fine, from what I can tell, and I get no warnings that my comp might not be able to handle it.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Paradox 01

Thanks Pery, I'll give it a try.

Also, how do I change my icon? I see a "Custom Avatar" option, but there's nowhere to place a URL for it.

[ 05-26-2002, 11:27: Message edited by: Paradox 01 ]

quote:

Originally posted by Paradox 01:

I recently bought BC: Millennium, and when I tried to play the game after installing it, all I got was some damn "Safe Disc" logo that popped up for about 10 seconds then...nada, zip, zilch, big fat goose egg. I've tried opening the game various ways (shortcuts, Program Files>BCM, everything) and nothing works. The game installs fine, from what I can tell, and I get no warnings that my comp might not be able to handle it.

If you are running the latest patch, you should not see the SafeDisc logo. At all. Only the BCM logo should pop-up and then disappear.

And if you are running the latest patch and you still see the default SD logo, then you botched the patch.

Apart from the above, read the FAQ - as Perry pointed out.

HELP ME!!!

OK...Ive read the fourm, did the search, amd read the FAQ....and my computer still freezes when i play BCM. Ive reinstalled it 3 times,done a scan disk and disk defrag, downloaded the lastest patch,updated my video card and windows media player and still Im having this one and only problem.

Ive notice that when i reinstall the game i can play for about 30 min before it freezes...after that i cant even get past the main menu

PLEASE HELP....did i over look anything?

Hmm Well to start with, you need to find out what video card drivers your using, as well as sound card (your system profile doesnt give any details about them). If your unsure about video card driver version, then it should be safe to sudgest that you down load the latest driver from Nvida for your card.

You said that after it froze you were unable to play it again. How did you recover? Did you manage to get to the desk top, then started the game again? If so, then that is the reason why it wont run after that first crash.

Now if you had to restart your PC after the crash, then found that the game was unplayable, then it gets a little more complicated, simply because when it crashed, it messed up the installation, which points to a few possible problems.

Let us know which of those two it is. Weather it crashes and you are forced to reboot, or if you simply tried it again by getting back to the desktop some how.

It does sound more like your PC setup is the problem.

I captured Genesis station as a Gammulan commander and when I went to trade some goods there (right after I docked to capture it) the vicious bastards told me I had illegal cargo (which I did) and they CONFISCATED it. I mean, talk about backwards, I capture there station and they confiscate my cargo.

I have 256 Mb of ram. I downloaded the new NVIDIA Detonator off their web site for my video card. But my sound card is on board and I have no idea what its called.

What happens is Ill play the game and it freezes up. Ctrl/Alt/Delete doesnt do anything so the only way to shut done it by killing the power to my computer.

Lets find out whats your your machine, since your not certain about it all.

Click on the Start button, bottom left of the screen, then from the menu, select 'Run'. Now type in the word 'dxdiag' and it should run the DirectX Diagnostic tool. Once its finished loading, click on the bottom of the screen, and select 'Save All Information', then choose somewhere to save it to, maybe your desktop so you dont loose it.

This will tell you what type of mother board you have and its chipset (AMD often go hand in hand with VIA chipsets).

It will show you your BIOS version, processor, Total RAM, Video card (if you scroll down the text file), your sound card, etc.. plus any problems it finds, which is sometimes helpfull.

if it doesnt make much sense to you, then send the txt file to me at "[email protected]", and I will take a look myself.

It basicly tells us the info about your setup, and any detectable problems.

if indeed it is a VIA chipset on your motherboard, then yes, update your drivers from the VIA website, as menioned in another post above. I know that VIA had a problem a while ago regarding currupting data on harddrives, due to incompatability with some other hardware installed.

quote:

Originally posted by Unforgiven_Killer:

IBut my sound card is on board and I have no idea what its called.

That could be the problem. Try disabling sound+music in CONFIG and see if that helps. If it does, there's your problem. In which case, you need to read the sound section in the troubleshooting FAQ.

His sound card is VIA Audio (built in). Ive seen various people have problems with this on the VIA forums. But it was supposed to be fixed a while ago in one of the patches.

Guest Paradox 01

Christ onna rubber crutch. I give up. I refuse to be forced to take Computer Programming 401 just to play one damn game. I paid good money for this game, and it should damn well work without me spending hours programming the thing myself. Isn't that what I pay you people for when I buy for the disc!? "Hey, here's an idea...we can double our profit by passing half the work onto our customers!!"

Damn, no wonder PC Gamer rated BC 3000 as a 15...OUT OF 100!!!! Too bad I didn't see that till AFTER I bought Millenium...

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Christ onna rubber crutch. I give up. I refuse to be forced to take Computer Programming 401 just to play one damn game. I paid good money for this game, and it should damn well work without me spending hours programming the thing myself. Isn't that what I pay you people for when I buy for the disc!? "Hey, here's an idea...we can double our profit by passing half the work onto our customers!!"

Damn, no wonder PC Gamer rated BC 3000 as a 15...OUT OF 100!!!! Too bad I didn't see that till AFTER I bought Millenium...

You come in here spouting off insults and think anyones going to care if you get it to run or not. I don't think so. Try being civil and explaining your problem and you'll find loads of help here. By no means do you have to be a programmer to run BCM. You do need to know how to operate your system though such as installing drivers etc.

First off your system profile info is incomplete. You need to fill it in completely so we know what hardware you have and what drivers your trying to use.

Did you read the VCF and the faq? If so you should have noticed that DX 8.1 is required for the game to run. Your profile says your using DX 8.0.

The only thing we know is that you said the safedisc logo appears then the system freezes. If thats the case your not using the latest version. Run the v1.0.07 patch in the directory that you installed BCM in. It won't patch the game unless you open it in your install directory.

All of this is in the faq I suggest you go back and complete your system profile info to include your driver versions. Then read the Faq carefully. Then if you still can't figure it out come back and will give you a hand.

Regards

[ 06-07-2002, 03:45: Message edited by: Remo Williams ]

quote:

Comparing BC3K (1996) to BCM (2001) is the kind of display of wanton stupidity which will always land you in trouble. And unless you actually get smart and read the resources available to you, will never be able to configure your system correctly; let alone run the game.

POSTING PRIVILEDGES REVOKED INDEFINITELY - PROBABLY FOREVER.

Have a nice day!

[ 06-07-2002, 11:05: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

• 2 weeks later...

Came across a oddity (bug?) the other day.

I ordered a shuttle to tow me, and it got stuck. It was still leaving the movement trails, but it wasnt moving physically. It looked like it was pushing against empty space.

A scrpited insurgent ship (warmonger, forgot it's name.) in the ACM also got simalarly stuck, except it was pushing on a jumpgate. (GalCom ACM TOD1 1/2, Treas)

Has anyone else seen something like this happen?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I would just like to post a little problem I am having with BCM. First of all, I couldn't get the game to run for a long time, but I was able to fix it. For some reason, Direct3D wasn't working correctly and I just disabled then re-enabled it and the game, and many other games, started working. But now, I have a new issue. The game freezes every 5 or so minutes and I have to restart my comp. It does not freeze in any particular occasion, just every 5 or so minutes, doesn't matter what is happening, it will freeze. Hopefully you can help me with this. Thanks!

[ 07-01-2002, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Cmdr Dowding ]

Try disabling your sound. Im only saying this because I noticed you use a Sound blaster live card with a VIA chipset. The two dont go too well together.

Try it, and see if it helps at all.

Looks like I got it all squared away. And to re-enable sound, I downloaded the Sound Lag Latency patch thing and the game runs fine now. Now I just need to remember to close Winamp and any other stuff running before playing.

[ 07-01-2002, 07:09 PM: Message edited by: Cmdr Dowding ]

Heh, dangit, now it's freezing again. But this time, it doesn't restart my comp, it just freezes and the sound goes funky. I don't have anything else to try now. Anymore ideas?

I usually close everything and leave my Sound Controls as the only thing in my Start-up tray. But, the game seems to be working fine now, it is the music that is causing problems, so as long as I leave the music off, it runs fine except for the occasional freeze-up, probably caused by low memory. No worries though, I already am planning on buying another 256MB DDR ram chip.