Misc Tech Support Issues IV

Supreme Cmdr

Ok, manual Treatment is healing ppl at 5 per minute, but ppl in medibay are already being healed at rate of 5 per minute.

In my experiment above both marines were healed 5/min and using Treat option on Marine#2 had no benifit at all as if i never used manual Treatment.

My question is, where is the benifit of manual treating.

[ 08-28-2002, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: EAGLE ]

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Fox__Trot

Oh and ive got a question as well if ive got a marine at 75% health and dump 5 medipacks on him and then send him back to work (on station or whatever) will he continue to get healed at +5 a min OUTSIDE of the medi bay since he got 5 dumped on him?

quote:

Originally posted by EAGLE:

My question is, where is the benifit of manual treating.

If you can't figure that out, then don't use it.

quote:

Originally posted by Fox__Trot:

Oh and ive got a question as well if ive got a marine at 75% health and dump 5 medipacks on him and then send him back to work (on station or whatever) will he continue to get healed at +5 a min OUTSIDE of the medi bay since he got 5 dumped on him?

Why don't you try it, instead of continuing the trend of litering the thread?

[ 08-28-2002, 07:11 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Guest MIKE113

I have searched the forum for this problem but saw no reference to it.

My mouse pointer will not go all the way to the bottom of the screen! This means I cannot set waypoints in Tacops!

The pointer goes way past the top and seems to "overshoot".

Has anyone seen this? I had a power glitch this weekend (normal for Florida) and I'm not sure but could be related.

Thanks for any help.

Ok. I currently have a save game that consistently CTD's when I zoom in on planet Sygan. I spent some time pounding enemy bases into rubble and went into space for a breather, dispatched enemy cruiser and attempted to return to planet to pick up drones. From TACOPS I observe planet. No matter which region I select once I click one more zoom level (can see cloud layer) I see dead-center of screen an icon that has a TER MIL BUNKER, 0SHE, HULL5000, INT100, WHITE as though disabled. This object always appears dead center of screen when at first cloud layer zoom level no matter zoom location. Clicking another zoom level down CTD's.

Using 1008RC17.

No command line arguments other than -n

Freshly installed using the following procedure.

Uninstalled previous BCM.

Manually obliterated game folder.

Reinstalled from CD.

Copied bcm1007.exe into game folder.

Executed and upgraded.

Unzipped bcm1007_script_update.zip into game folder which overwrote the 2 zip files in data folder.

Copied bcm1008RC15_update.exe into game folder.

Executed and upgraded.

Unzipped bcm1008RC17_update.zip into game folder overwriting BCM.EXE in root and bcmver.html in docs folder.

Started new game. Play for some time, saving at intervals. Game ran stable until the above was encountered. Consistently CTD's once zooming in as described.

Hardware is all at defaults. Not overclocking anything.

Let me know if there's something I can do to further assist including file transfers if this hasn't already been reported. A Search for the word BUNKER within General Issues did not return any results.

EDITED:

Instead of clicking with the mouse to zoom further down and thus crashing I used the keyboard to zoom down to the ground. This revealed the BUNKER appears to be deep within the planet itself and explains why it is centered in view no matter location when viewing from far above. This seems to mean the BUNKER is trying to rebuild itself underground. Since it is perfectly centered (when far above) no matter location this also seems like it might be at the true center of the planet if planets are modeled with a 0,0,0 as core? Also (and maybe the key to the crash) when putting the cursor over the BUNKER icon it displays 2 identical BUNKER entities which perhaps means 2 objects are trying to rebuild and occupy the exact same x/y/z plane. Anyway, starting to make a guess so time to stop here.

[ 09-05-2002, 01:49 AM: Message edited by: Brutus McCleud ]

Guest MIKE113

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

Originally posted by MIKE113:

I had a power glitch this weekend (normal for Florida) and I'm not sure but could be related.

Dunno, but did you try turning off the microwave oven?

LOL, No, but I did reset it's clock!

I'll just blame Edouard!!

[ 09-05-2002, 08:48 AM: Message edited by: MIKE113 ]

quote:

Your time would've been better spent reading the known problems section of the VCF.

Well, I'm thorough when in debug mode, but i'm also a nOob here. I'm sure in another day or two I'll remember to scan your VCF (also known as the library of congress) in addition to the massive forums to see if I can absolutely determine if a local issue has been addressed.

Brutus, this is from the VCF

quote:

A phenomemon at a location on Sygan (dubbed The Sygan Triangle) causes units to sometimes disappear

On some planets with very low altitude values, if a unit is destroyed and is being rebuilt, it may be relocated to the seabed instead of on the surface.

quote:

Originally posted by Gordon

Brutus, this is from the VCF

Yep I went and read every word of the VCF after the SC's reply. It should now be far easier to recognize known issues at this point (with current VCF) as I come across them. They are very few and extremely specific. Again, my nOobness will dissipate quickly. I want to contribute positive input that helps make these sims be all they can be. Posting about issues long-known just clutters threads and I'll try (and succeed) to not do it (though noone is perfect )

quote:

Originally posted by Brutus McCleud:

Posting about issues long-known just clutters threads

ahahahah, u think?

Anyway, there's something odd going on at Sygan and its not 100% reproducible which is why I haven't gone back since. Its the Bermuda Triangle effect.

quote:

...its not 100% reproducible which is why I haven't gone back since.

I figured as much. I imagine your plate is just a bit full regarding far more serious issues (in multiple projects no-less) but you seem to be doing an impressive job at chewing an entire pack of gum and running not walking. Man what is your average day in hours? Writing enterprise software has me doing about 12-14 but I have a feeling that's hella short compared to yours!

EDITED:

Btw I realize this message had nothing to do with tech support so ill try not to do this again either.

[ 09-05-2002, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Brutus McCleud ]

• 2 weeks later...

Right, My system specs are in my signature now.

My problem is, when my AE is in a shuttle and on return to base orders to the CC, Sometimes (not all the time) just as it is about to dock the game crashes and goes back to the desktop. It has done this from retail to version 1.0.0.8RC18 and on Windows 98 and 2000 and even on my old system which was a PII 650.

Also, I have noticed that one of the moons of Jupiter (One with the starstation), turns grey instead of it's moon texture in certain camera angles.

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by AllenKG2001:

Right, My system specs are in my signature now.

My problem is, when my AE is in a shuttle and on return to base orders to the CC, Sometimes (not all the time) just as it is about to dock the game crashes and goes back to the desktop. It has done this from retail to version 1.0.0.8RC18 and on Windows 98 and 2000 and even on my old system which was a PII 650.

Also, I have noticed that one of the moons of Jupiter (One with the starstation), turns grey instead of it's moon texture in certain camera angles.

Update your video display drivers to the latest supported version by ATI. CATALYST 2.3 Drivers for Windows 2000

[ 09-15-2002, 07:49 PM: Message edited by: Remo Williams ]

quote:

Originally posted by Enigma:

bug: im getting a CTD when entering Periscan with intruders on board. it doesnt happen every time, but like 3-4 outa 5. usually there are enemy ships in the system also fighting, but not always

I confirm. I've read the VCf and FAQ, tried different operating systems, drivers, configurations, and nothing seems to work. The Perscan in my case crashes when i'm trying to activate it from the bridge, while Resnig says i have intruders inboard. On However, perscan activated from tacops is much more stable. The crashes occur not only at the activation, but sometimes during its work. The debug logs show nothing. I think i've tried everything, and i have no idea what may be wrong. Please help.

Activating Perscan from Tacops is no different from activating it from the bridge. It calls the same code module.

If you are getting crashes with intruders on board, then you have a bad install environment.

Also install the latest drivers for your video card.

And I don't know what version of the code you are running, but you shouldn't have ANY debug logs in the release build unless you are using commandline switches you're NOT supposed to be using.

quote:

Activating Perscan from Tacops is no different from activating it from the bridge. It calls the same code module.

It is really more stable. I don't know why.

quote:

Also install the latest drivers for your video card.

I have some experiences with them already. When i installed 30.82xp drivers, they caused to hang all my dx8 based games. However when i changed my ram frequency from 133 to 100 mhz, they were all right. But the problem with perscan persisted, so decided to switch back to microsoft driver.

quote:

And I don't know what version of the code you are running, but you shouldn't have ANY debug logs in the release build unless you are using commandline switches you're NOT supposed to be using.

They're just /d1 and /d2 command line switches, which i read about somewhere on the forum.

• 2 weeks later...

A few probs to report, some have already been touched in a different post.

1. When Flight Officer is off duty ( and all other officers for that matter), I can still select direct AI control. Who's flying the ship?

2. Currently RE officer AI is 31, still able to install and use TA shield, PAD and Karanian reactor! These items were installed about 2 hours into game so RE's AI was alot lower then as well. Also note, she still said "I have no idea how to use this thing" when I purchased them!

3. Sometimes when capturing a space station, I've noticed I didn't gain any EX points or combat shield! Namely the Ter/Ins station somewhere( Can't remember exactly) between the Polaris system and Trenis system.

4. I know this one has been posted but I'm still getting probs with it, even though following all instructions from this post, the FAQ and VCF. When resueming or restoring some games (Not all the time) the game crashes. Sometimes I can end the task and then reload the game to the same conculsion and sometimes just have to restart computer altogether.

My current system specs is in my sig but note at mo when I re-installed game I forgot to add the 1.0.0.8 RC18 patch so currently RC15, also I have just updated my onboard sound drivers. I have moved the acceleration slider down a tad for video card and selected all options in the Direct 3D as said in FAQ. I'm running Windows 2000 with all updates and DX 8.1b. When running the game, only the sound control icon is in taskbar. Desktop display is 1024x768 16bit high colour.

Also, I start the game using the batch file containing

echo off

start /high bcm.exe -n -x0

Please help!

P.S. This is prob not a bug( and I'm sure it's not) but ships can just bounce off each other and even space stations, wouldn't they exployed?

Anyway, here's hoping I don't get shouted at ( runs and hides)!

1. Mother. But then I'd expect you to know that. You do know who she is, right?
  2. I just tried it with a new game. Works just fine. Until you provide exact steps for reproduction, I'm not opening a report on this. I am NOT interested in your on-going game because I have NO idea what you've done to it.
  3. Rubbish. (a) if you can't remember details about the post you are reporting dont frigging post (B) it works. READ the appendix and you'll know why. Unless you actually took the time to record your current EP prior to the capture and record it again after the capture, you have no way of knowing that it doesn't work. And since you can't even post accurate info regarding items you are reporting, I find it highly unlikely that you'd take the time to make a note of the pre/post capture EPs.
  4. Works fine. The issue surrounding save/restore was traced back to video drivers, acceleration etc due to the mode switching. This is very well documented here. Try reading it.
  5. You have NO business reporting issues on Beta release patches. The current official patch is 1.0.07 - and even then, I see nothing in this post that would cause a difference between either version. The point I'm making is that if you've botched the installation of a Beta patch, I won't be surprised.
  6. Ships with armor or shields will bounce of other targets depending on their speed. This is will documented. In fact, sometimes this would fail (depending on the frame rate) and cause them to sometimes breach the target.

[ 10-06-2002, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

1. Mother, OK (it was just that I could select both Direct and Mother control).

2. steps:

1. Sell all spare parts on ship.

2. Buy bridgeviewers from Galcom and keep selling at Lyrius.

3. When have enough credits, buy artifacts from Galcom.

4. Install one at a time using all ten engineers for each one.

5. Use artifacts.

I could do this in version 1.0.07!

Hope the above helps to reproduce it.

3. I did take note of EX points and they didn't go up. But like you said, this was from version 1.0.08RC15 so unsupported. No probs.

4. I did read the post which is why I done everything posted first before posting this. It may be my system but I only got the parts a few months back. Would it be corrupted files?

5. Sorry, my mistake.

6. I must of missed that, OK.

What I will do is run the game in 1.0.07 and see if I still get any of the above. Strange that you can't reproduce the artifact prob! I've been doing that for ages and didn't realise it was a bug!

Please help on the game crashing prob as it's really annoying having to go back to even older saved games. Sometimes I'm too scared to save incase this happens! please check my system specs and notes on previous post.

Thanks (runs and hides again)!

1. You were supposed to be providing steps for reproducing issues with a specific artifact or artifacts.

So

(a)WHICH ones are incorrect?

(b)WHY do you think it works incorrectly?

©HOW are determining that it does in fact operate incorrectly?

And you didn't indicate what your RE's AI level is.

2. EPs not being allocated have NOTHING to do with the version you are running. Why? Well, because there haven't been ANY revisions in this respect in either 1.0.07 nor 1.0.08 Beta.
  3. I can't help you with your game crashing problem wrt save/restore. You have to research that one on your own. So read the forum discussion on it. If you haven't corrupted your files and your display driver is stable, you should have no problems restoring saved games.

And if you were paying attention, you'd know that you can backup your saved games and just use CONTINUE to continue games; and manually restoring your saved games (and using CONTINUE again) if you can't use the built-in save/restore. This information is documented in the archives. Read it.

[ 10-06-2002, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]