Misc Tech Support Issues IV

Supreme Cmdr

1. Using the steps from my previous post.

Artifacts are TA shield, PAD and Karanian reactor. Infact I buy all artifacts but can only install the above 3 and use them. The TA shield gives me 5000 shield strength, I can shot with the PAD (I think, could be wrong. It fires a constant beam, as to how much damage it's doing I don't know so ignore me on that one till I find out for sure), the Karanian reactor gives me extra power output.

RE's AI was about 25 at this time.

2. No problem, I'll just check that one again some time. I'm sure it happened but will double check for you.

3. Sorry I should have said, but I was using the continue as well, that's when I first noticed it.

Anyway, I will try and sort some of these out myself when I get more time. I'll just put up with it for now, still enjoying the game.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just comfirmed. Un-installed game ( deleted bc3000 folder) then re-installed. Applied patch 1.0.07 from the game folder and unzipped script update files to data folder.

Started new game, selected MEGARON ship.

1. First, sold all spare parts and weapons at GALCOM.

2. Purchased TA shield (noted RE's AI at 22).

3. Left station and upgraded shield to TA sheild(assigning all 10 engineers).

4. When upgrade was complete, went to bridge view where RE said "I have no idea how this thing works" and CE informed me that the shield had been repaired.

5. Went to TACOPs and selected my ship and noted shield strength of 5000 instead of 3500.

Will try the other artifacts (Karanian reactor and POD) and post back when I earn more credits to do so.

quote:

posted 10-07-2002 08:31 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just comfirmed. Un-installed game ( deleted bc3000 folder) then re-installed. Applied patch 1.0.07 from the game folder and unzipped script update files to data folder.

Started new game, selected MEGARON ship.

1. First, sold all spare parts and weapons at GALCOM.

2. Purchased TA shield (noted RE's AI at 22).

3. Left station and upgraded shield to TA sheild(assigning all 10 engineers).

4. When upgrade was complete, went to bridge view where RE said "I have no idea how this thing works" and CE informed me that the shield had been repaired.

5. Went to TACOPs and selected my ship and noted shield strength of 5000 instead of 3500.

Will try the other artifacts (Karanian reactor and POD) and post back when I earn more credits to do so.

Reproduced and confirmed following those steps above using the Megaron and T.A. Shields. It takes about 15 minutes to test a ship/artifact combination, so I don't have time to go through them all today since it will eat up the better part of the day and I've got classwork to get done. I can start going through the other possible combinations tomorrow afternoon.

quote:

Originally posted by Litvyak:

Reproduced and confirmed following those steps above using the Megaron and T.A. Shields. It takes about 15 minutes to test a ship/artifact combination, so I don't have time to go through them all today since it will eat up the better part of the day and I've got classwork to get done. I can start going through the other possible combinations tomorrow afternoon.

OK, I'm going to open a ticket on this in the Beta forum so that you can investigate it fully and send me a report on which ones have holes in them.

I remember that most of them were fixed. If this is happening with only these three artifacts, then I suspect that the system is not waiting for the item to be flagged as available. It seems to just be checking the cargo bay to see if its there, then updating TAS, PAD, KMIR as being available. It should check first if they have been fully analyzed.

Thanks Lightning Bolt Missy, we'll take if from here.

Ok I get two and only two problems with this game that have become so bad that I have to start over.

Problem#1. Whenever I get the warning that intruders are on board I goto the perscan and I get a CTD,almost everytime, but it very rarly does it when no intruders are on board.

Problem#2. Whenever I use tacops to observe mission zones on planets I get really bad slow down after looking at multiple mission zones, not just on the tacops but everywhere in the game space,fp,etc. When this first happened I saved and restarted my computer, then I went back and loaded up my game, but the same thing was happening . The only thing that causes this is the Tacops and when lots of ships are in the area.

1. Was fixed. Patch properly

2. Is not a bug, upgrade your computer or run at the default resolution. You have NO business activating sites on a whim, if you don't have the machine to run it. Yes, that piddly 1.7 thing you're running, will probably croak at anything higher than 800x600 at 32Bit.

And WHY anyone, in this day and age, would be running WIN98 - especially on a system like yours, is beyond me.

And do you really have 1536MB of DDR memory in that rig? And you're running WIN98?

[ 10-07-2002, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Lightning Bolt Man:

quote:

Thanks Lightning Bolt Missy, we'll take if from here.

Er, I think there's a typo error in my name!

heh, just wait until you hear what we have in store for you. Those artifact bugs? Well, they're not bugs. Go back and read the appendix data and you'll see the bit about system upgrade artifacts not requiring the RE to analze them (though she'll still try to, since its her job).

Which is why the three you reported, work.

I know its not the best but from what I can tell this system should be fine to run this game, but thats not the problem im having. I understand that going to mission sites like that will lag down the game but that should be fixed when I restart the system shoudlnt it? I am running at the default resoultion.

I use win98 because when I built this system win98 was better for gaming over XP,it required less overhead or somthing and XP from what I could tell was having a whole mess of problems with games so thats why I never bothered to put it on this system. Of course times change and now XPs better for gaming I suppose, so ill have to get that, until I do im stuck with win98 and if thats why im having this problem then ill shut up and not speak of it again.

quote:

heh, just wait until you hear what we have in store for you. Those artifact bugs? Well, they're not bugs. Go back and read the appendix data and you'll see the bit about system upgrade artifacts not requiring the RE to analze them (though she'll still try to, since its her job).

Which is why the three you reported, work.

Yea I noticed that which is why I was confused.

The artifacts page says you can install them without being analzed, but the command craft officers page says the RE needs an AI of 65 for the TA, 65 for the karanian reactor and 85 for the POD.

It also say's and I quote:

"Upgrade artifacts such as the Tacyon Anagram Shield and the Karanian Mark IV Reactor are only available as upgrades in Logistix after they have been analyzed..."

Please don't put me in the airlock with Resnig!

Well, I'm glad that's cleared up so now you can get on with the more important things. Like BCMG and BCG!!

[ 10-07-2002, 09:48 PM: Message edited by: Lightning Bolt Man ]

Viper2000:

quote:

from what I can tell this system should be fine to run this game

According to your specs

quote:

sound card make/model: C-Media Intergrated

Stab in the dark on my part. You went to the Windows Update page and got the update for C-Media Electronics?

Viper2000, your video drivers are not up to date!

Download version 30.82 from nvidia site.

Make sure the video acceleration tab is down one notch. (Right mouse click on your desktop and from menu select properties. From the Display properties window select Settings. Now click on advanced and select the Trouble shooting tab.)

When done this, un-install game, delete the 3000 folderAD folder and then re-install game.

Then just load the 1.0.07 patch from the game folder e.g. (c:program Files3000adbattlecrusiermillennium) and then unzip the 1.0.07 script update patch to the data folder. Don't bother with any other patches until the .exe file comes out!

I find doing this in this order should help solve afew probs. It helped on my machine which is simular to yours.

Note: Make sure you update your system before un-installing and re-installing!

Note2: Make sure you have no other programs running in background(NOT even antivirus!)

- Ctr,Alt,Del and end all tasks except Explorer and Toolbar- when running the game.

Note3 : Make sure you have DirectX 8.1!

Note4: If all else fails, un-install Windows98 and re-install it(Windows98 is crap!)

[ 10-08-2002, 06:15 AM: Message edited by: Lightning Bolt Man ]

quote:

Originally posted by Lightning Bolt Man:

Please don't put me in the airlock with Resnig!

hehe, don't worry about it. Anyway, I've revised the appendix page so that it is clearer. The RE will still try to analyze system upgrade artifacts, even if she doesn't need to do that in order for them to work. The reason for this was for assets which can use these artifacts but which do not have an RE in their personnel roster.

One bug I did come across (appeared in 1.0.08 as a result of a date/time function revision) is that artifacts were appearing immediately. They should only appear for purchase after 3 days of game time.

quote:

Originally posted by Viper2000:

I understand that going to mission sites like that will lag down the game but that should be fixed when I restart the system shoudlnt it?

No. As long as you have activated them, they remain activated and will be processed as long as you are playing the same game using CONTINUE or RESTORE.

quote:

I use win98 because when I built this system win98 was better for gaming over XP,it required less overhead or somthing and XP from what I could tell was having a whole mess of problems with games so thats why I never bothered to put it on this system.

As far as I know, winXP had no problems with games. And it certainly handles games better than ANY winOS before it - even win2K (upon which winXP was built). It has better memory handling than win98 and just does everything better. If you're running a system with that CPU and memory, you should be running winXP.

And you never answered my question about the memory you have written in your profile. Is that correct? If so, win98 can't even access that much memory.

Rule of thumb: system building is not for everyone. Know what you're doing before you embark on that excercise.

[ 10-08-2002, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Yes I have that much ram and from what I can tell it does use it. My computer was built by a pro and runs great, even better then my XP machine I use at work. Iv played heavy resource demanding games on this computer while running multiple programs in the background with no lag at all.

The only reason I even posted with this problem was because it had me completly stumped. I was hoping some one else was having the same issue and could tell me how to fix it.

All that doesnt matter now because im going to go with what Lightning bolt guy said to do and update everything then uninstall the game but before I reinstall the game im going to bring it down to my computer at work which is a 2.somthing Ghz p4 with a gig of DDR and XP, to see if it works any better on that one and yes ill remember to make sure everything in the back ground is closed before I play. If I notice a good diffrence then ill go out and buy XP right away but if not then im going to hold on to my OS and hold this game off till I get my new computer in about 3 months.

quote:

Originally posted by Viper2000:

Yes I have that much ram and from what I can tell it does use it.

The last time I checked, WIN9X couldn't access beyond 512MB of addressable RAM. What'd I miss?

quote:

The only reason I even posted with this problem was because it had me completly stumped. I was hoping some one else was having the same issue and could tell me how to fix it.

Yes, I understand that. Apart from the perils of wantonly activating regions, your system needs to be up to snuff in order to handle the required processing. Hence all the suggestions you've been getting about checking your system etc

quote:

All that doesnt matter now because im going to go with what Lightning bolt guy said to do and update everything then uninstall the game but before I reinstall the game im going to bring it down to my computer at work which is a 2.somthing Ghz p4 with a gig of DDR and XP, to see if it works any better on that one and yes ill remember to make sure everything in the back ground is closed before I play. If I notice a good diffrence then ill go out and buy XP right away but if not then im going to hold on to my OS and hold this game off till I get my new computer in about 3 months.

Sounds like a good plan. Let us know how it goes!

quote:

No the one on the update site is older then the one I have which I got from my mother boards website.

Oh, well I know the c-media update trashed my machine for BCM. Once I got rid of it I went back to normal.

Running BCM perfectly fine (but a tad slow) with a 500 Celeron, 128 meg ram, and a voodoo 3.

Ok I installed the game on that system played for 20 minutes and then was kicked off by my boss and he played it for like 30 minutes before I finally got him off my computer(I said I had work to finish ). The game does run much more stable but alittle slower, I mean I can't have too many ships on the screen at once or else it lags and when a ship explodes somewhere its lag city.

Anyways I got back to my house and updated my system video,sounds,chipset,and I even flashed the bios. I reinstalled the game and loaded it up and the mouse pointer was hiding and was only visable when I moved the mouse, but it wasnt like a pointer it was a garbeld mess and was very laggy. This happened in the menu and in the game so I exited the game and went into my graphics settings and slid the thing down one notch, restarted my machine,and the loaded the game. YEY we have a stable pointer,but the game was lagging alittle and was very bad when there was multiple ships on the screen. I can deal with that I guess but the part that got me was when I went to restart my computer it froze on shut down. It happens everytime I even start BCM I dont even have to play I can go in and exit then goto shutdown and my computer freezes.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Everybody iv talked to says win98se is still the best for gaming. Not the most stable but still the best and iv verified this with alot of ppl. If you have lag in somthing its not windows98 its your config unless the program was designed only for the new operationg systems and not 98.

I was using XP for games until I ran into a problem lots of people are- a lot of OpenGL games do not work. Look at any SOFII or Q3 Engine game and there are TONS of posts. It's a microsoft problem that they have yet to correct. Hmmm... OpenGL doesn't work but D3D does on XP? Interesting...

Anywho, after 2 nights of trying to get it to work, I finally gave up after trying 1000 different "fixes" and like a lot of people, I never could get it to work. So I went back to 98.

Edit: Just to clarify, the OpenGL problem is almost a seeming random problem- some people it works fine, others not. Sometimes the fixes they suggest work, othertimes not. I was in the "not" category.

Also, on the RAM issue, it's 1GB, but if you have over 512, you might have to tweak a file if you have problems. Find more info here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q304943

and here:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q253912

[ 10-10-2002, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: Chameleoki ]

Like I said my computer was built by a pro. That includes tweaks and updates. Iv got two utlitys that say my computer uses whatever avalible ram it has for programs and I never have had to run on VM in any of my games.

Someone told me to reinstall windows. Do you mean just pop the CD in and install on to the old one or just reformat and install a new one all together. If either how whould that help?