Misc Tech Support Issues IV

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Be sure to run windows update ( http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com ) under suggested updates is a freeze-on-shutdown patch. It says because of mapped network drives but I've had good luck with it for shutting down without having mappped drives. It's also here:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloa...067/Default.asp

[ 10-10-2002, 08:34 PM: Message edited by: Chameleoki ]

Viper2000, if you don't want to reformat your hard drive (which is understandable), if you can get hold of another hard drive just put that in and install a fresh win98 on that. Update all drivers and that, then load the game and see how it performs. If that works, then you know you need to reformat. The reason for reformatting is because Win98 gets currupted easily. When I had Win98, I can't remember how many times I formatted! (thats why I use Win2000)

Note: Try the above post link first for the shut down prob!

[ 10-10-2002, 08:43 PM: Message edited by: Lightning Bolt Man ]

quote:

Originally posted by Viper2000:

Like I said my computer was built by a pro.

....and thats supposed to mean something? What'd I miss?

And Chameleoki is right about the max being 1GB in WIN98 and up. It used to be 512MB for WIN95.

[ 10-11-2002, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Youd have to see my system to understand SC, it runs far better then any computer iv ever used. As for the mapped drive shut down thats already been installed. I think its the new video drivers I loaded, because it didnt start happening till after I installed them, or it could be everytime I shut down my V-scan because thats one of the things I was doing to play this game.

Normally I whouldnt format my hard drive unless I was having alot of problems and as of right now there are none besides this game. Besides reloading windows whould take alot longer then 20 minutes on my system being that my 100 gb hard drive is half full with important stuff that whould take days to install and even longer to setup my computer back to the gaming system it is.

All the other games run fine on my computer so unless anybody has any other suggestions besides get rid of 98 or reformat your HD then im going to stop posting about this, seeing as its not helping anyone and is just taking up space on the forum.

Thanks none the less for the advice though.

[ 10-12-2002, 11:55 PM: Message edited by: Viper2000 ]

I think the only suggestions I can make now are the following:

1. Start Windows in Safe-Mode and check the Device Manager for any duplicate devices. e.g. Display adapters, floppies (Sometimes Win98 makes duplicates of devices and you can only see them in Safe-Mode). If there are any duplicates, delete all occurances of each one. Then re-start Windows and let it find all the devices again.

2. Check settings for how your computer is used. When you right click on MyComputer and go to proterties, there is a tab that allows you to select Use System As A Server or Use As A Desktop Computer (or something like that, can't remember exactly). Check it's set to As Desktop. This devotes more processing power to applications running as apposed to back ground applications.

3. Reduce your desktop display mode to 16bit and set it to 800x640.

4. Then again, un-install game and re-install it using the method decribed before.

See how you get on with that!

I can't think of anything else at mo that would give you the probs your having. I had the same problems with the slowdown myself but after updating my system (and before playing the game, reduce my desktop settings) the game runs fine, NO slow down at all! (And my machine is slower than yours!)

BCM is a BIG game and needs all the processing power it can have!

[ 10-13-2002, 01:04 AM: Message edited by: Lightning Bolt Man ]

Is anyone else having problems loading saved games? Everytime I do BCM just CTD's the game.

However I can resume a saved game with no problem.

I'm running 1008RC18, any insight into this problem would greatly be appreciated.

thanks for the help

Im assuming that your current saved game (that crashes) was first started 'after' you had patched BCM to your current version.

Please note that the current patch that you are using is in beta form untill all pending problems have been resolved (see the VCF for more info.. as well as info regarding invalid saved games from previous versions of the game).

I update BCM to the current version

Started a new game and discovered this problem

there are no playmods done to the saved game(s)

all my drivers are up to date and my system otherwise is running fine as well as other software.

It's got me baffled as well as not too happy as all I can play is 1 game

I guess this might be a pending problem being looked into by the SC and team but I just thought

I might post about it to see if anybody else is having the same problem and have been able to remedy it

Thanks anyways

I believe your problem lies with the fact you have a SB Live sound card.

from the FAQ:

quote:

Q. SOMETIMES THE GAME HANGS WHEN RESTORING A SAVED GAME

A. There are reports that this could happen if you have an SB Live! card. Try adding the -x0 command line parameter to the

BCM shortcut and see if that helps. This disables all distance attenuated sound processing and has no affect on the sounds

themselves since BCM does not support A3D or EAX.

See if that helps.

quote:

Q. SOMETIMES THE GAME HANGS WHEN RESTORING A SAVED GAME

A. There are reports that this could happen if you have an SB Live! card. Try adding the -x0 command line parameter to the

BCM shortcut and see if that helps. This disables all distance attenuated sound processing and has no affect on the sounds

themselves since BCM does not support A3D or EAX.

nope didn't work guess I'll just have to reinstall the game and see if that works

again

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong. I've been looking through the forum and I have not found anywhere a menchen of the problem I am having. Stations for no reasan I have notiued explode go to a diabled state. Looks like its under constution. Every thing is 100%. shields and armor are at full strenth. You can not dock or destroy the station and it never becomes active. It started in 1.5 - 1.7. I have tryed BCM on three computers. It happens at devent Stations

Yes a station that was destoryed will come back but I left the game running for sevevn days of game time and still was disabled. As I sayed the stations hull intergerty was 100%, and the other two were at 100%. To try to be clear the station when targeted has 100 on top full shields to the left and full armor to the right. On the vid 3 100s on top shields to the left armor two the right. Other than looking blownup its like any other station except disabled.

quote:

Originally posted by Tackbau:

Yes a station that was destoryed will come back but I left the game running for sevevn days of game time and still was disabled. As I sayed the stations hull intergerty was 100%, and the other two were at 100%. To try to be clear the station when targeted has 100 on top full shields to the left and full armor to the right. On the vid 3 100s on top shields to the left armor two the right. Other than looking blownup its like any other station except disabled.

Read what I posted above. Slowly this time.

quote:

Originally posted by Remo Williams:

Works just fine here too, so if you are having this problem its definitely system related.

I've found and fixed this save/restore bug which crept up in RC16. It was random and depended on the system time. Which is why most people didn't experience it. Also, only the release build was affected, not the debug build.

[ 10-20-2002, 09:17 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

oh happy days

ok I reinstalled BCM and the reloading of

saved games seems to work now

I also turned down hardware acceleration 1 notch

thanks for the help all and happy gaming

[ 10-21-2002, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Buzz:

oh happy days

ok I reinstalled BCM and the reloading of

saved games seems to work now

I also turned down hardware acceleration 1 notch

thanks for the help all and happy gaming

ooops, I hit the edit instead of quote button. Anyway...I dunno what you're talking about. As long as you are running RC18, restoring a saved game is likely to crash at some point. Didn't you read my post above?

Have been having the CTD on save load problem. Yeah, I've noticed it's random as well, and I've found some luck in using "resume" opposed to "restore", but I'm not really assuming much. Awaiting next patch. (Since it's random, Buzz probably hasn't encountered it in his reinstall.)

VCF Camping Time

[ 10-24-2002, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr Nova:

Have been having the CTD on save load problem. Yeah, I've noticed it's random as well, and I've found some luck in using "resume" opposed to "restore", but I'm not really assuming much. Awaiting next patch. (Since it's random, Buzz probably hasn't encountered it in his reinstall.)

VCF Camping Time

Thanks for stating the obvious. What have I said about posting useless messages to important tech support threads?

[ 10-24-2002, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

No such luck here.I'm going to return to the

1007 patch and hope for the best.

quote:

Thanks for stating the obvious. What have I said about posting useless messages to important tech support threads?

I know where I'd like to post it SC

Go ahead Ban Me see if I care

I'm getting a little sick and tired of waiting for viable patches and if you're going to be rude to me I'm going to be rude to you BUDDY

HAVE A NICE DAY