PTA turrets not firing

Kartoffel

I have come across a bug(?) regarding the PTA turrets on heavy carriers. They're not firing nearly as often as they should. The capacitor appears to work fine, discharging, and recharging, but no PTA fx or damage done to enemies in range.

Both sets of cruiser turrets work fine, and so do super carrier turrets. However NPC heavy carriers appeared to be unable to fire as much as they should.

I have uninstalled BCM, deleted the directory, reinstalled, and patched to 1.0.08RC23, then to RC32.

Same problem.

Any idea what's causing this?

[ 01-21-2003, 01:03 AM: Message edited by: Kartoffel ]

I notice'd that to but only on stations *which is normal cause the PTA turrets are trying to lock on*

As for moving targets it might happen... There are times when my PTA system doesn't damage anyone at all..

hmmm

I've seen it happening too, comparing a cruiser's and a heavy carrier's turrets. I don't prefare to command a super carrier, due to it's inability of artifact implementation, so I don't have much experience on it.

Based on what SC has allready said about characteristics variance on ships, from type to type and from class to class, the PTA's low performance on a heavy carrier could be explained as below:

1. A super carrier can not run or turn as fast as a heavy carrier or a cruiser, so it's PTA turrets are more efficient.

2. A cruiser can turn and run really fast, but it's much smaller than any carrier. So, it's PTA turret's are designed to work more efficiently than in other types(it's noticable ingame)

3. A heavy carrier stands right in the middle. In any capable hands it can dogfight any cruiser, but it should have a weekness, preventing it from being "The Ultimate Multipurpose Assault Craft": the PTAs are just not as effective as in other classes, or as we would like.

quote:

Originally posted by Kartoffel:

I have come across a bug(?) regarding the PTA turrets on heavy carriers. They're not firing nearly as often as they should. The capacitor appears to work fine, discharging, and recharging, but no PTA fx or damage done to enemies in range.

Both sets of cruiser turrets work fine, and so do super carrier turrets. However NPC heavy carriers appeared to be unable to fire as much as they should.

I have uninstalled BCM, deleted the directory, reinstalled, and patched to 1.0.08RC23, then to RC32.

Same problem.

Any idea what's causing this?

Works as designed. Learn how the PTA system works

Tried running BCM again, playing with a Nightstar. Turrets arent firing again. It's not a matter of firing arcs, or the PTA turret list being full - I was by Moon 4 in Rinaal, with about 14 objects in the reigion, counting planets, and jumpgates.

I flew around 2 hostile fighters, for about 5 minutes, with PTA turrets on, with power diverted to them... and all the damage I noticed was 14 points of shield damage to one of the fighters. There was NOTHING besides the moon, myself, and those fighters in the general vicinity.

This can't be a fluke.

Well, here's what you can do Kal.

Go after an enemy ship, and when in range, turn on your PTA, and put it to ~10% power.

Hit F9 and then look at the beams. Roll your ship, pitch it, yaw it, etc.. and look to see the different arcs as your PTA turrents fire, and qwhich turrents are firing depending on how you face the enemy.

And when you have a lot of target around, and you want to focus on one, enable Single Target Tracking. You can take a fighter down in no time at all with the PTA system.

Cheers!

quote:

Originally posted by Fractux:

And when you have a lot of target around, and you want to focus on one, enable Single Target Tracking.

STT has nothing to do with the PTA system. In fact, the PTA system doesn't even use the Tacscan radar system.

The PTA system has a list which contains all targets within range of the turrets. From this list, the system filters out friendly targets and fires upon hostile targets. It is sometimes possible for the turrets to not fire on some targets and this will happen if the targets list is full or if a friendly target is within the turretÔÇÖs line of fire. As targets are flushed from the list (i.e. destroyed, no longer in range etc) new entries are added.