Whats Funny is the BCM Install I just wiped, was

Fairly Stable with the last Patch.

" Any Takers ? "

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok,

Turns out my problem with the crashing was a hardrive that has developed a bit of a flaw, it is minor, but enough to mess with the game. I have transferred it over to my other HD, and the save games sometimes do some wacky things, but I can work around it if I back them up diligently. At least I can play now. I really dig how smooth it runs now at high resolutions, having a blast, thanks SC...

And extra thanks to all that helped me out.

quote:

Originally posted by Spiro:

But The " Clear the Comm File " Crash Is still

persistent..

Whats Funny is the BCM Install I just wiped, was

Fairly Stable with the last Patch.

" Any Takers ? "

I'll bite but I need your machine specs. Don't have BCMG myself yet but I'll make what suggestions I can.

I've got a problem which sounds to be similar to the ones decribed in this post.

The game crashes randomly and returns to the desktop.

It crashes mainly after I jump from one sector to the other but often it happens after a short (10 minutes) period of time and it crahes in menue, on the ground, in space or during a fight.

The game also crash if I destroy an enemy or it is destroyed by a friendly station in my sector.

Things I've already tried:

- Upgraded video/sound drivers

(Nvidia 43.45/Creative Audigy 2

5.12.1.324)

- installed the Via 4in1 drivers

- changed bios settings as described in the faq

- started dxdiag and changed sound acceleration

to minimal (one tick mark from the left)

- changed video acceleration in the "advanced"

section of "Display" (one tick from the right)

Thanks for your help.

[ 04-26-2003, 11:14 PM: Message edited by: Praetorian ]

Tyrn...

Just a heads Up.. I was reading TFM.. and spied somthing I thought I'd Try.. It said some thing anout the Windows media player... which I went ahead and installed 7.0

also have Updtaed My " Puter " spec sheet as requested.

But after upgrading all the Device Drivers listed

The CTD is Now (4) or so seconds into any screen display..

I figure Thats the Comm file .. thats WAY to Big by now... ( LOL )

As I was installing the Last 1.08 patch for BCM It found the dreamcatcher directory.. I was Tempted to patch the BCM executiable in there.. But alas..

Sanity ruled.... ( Grin )

Side Note..

The BCM install is rockin... NO problems Indicated.. Yippiee !!!

ACM here I Come.......

quote:

Originally posted by Spiro:

But after upgrading all the Device Drivers listed The CTD is Now (4) or so seconds into any screen display..

Sounds like you have some serious system problems, unrelated to the game.

quote:

I figure Thats the Comm file .. thats WAY to Big by now... ( LOL )

The log file is harmless and won't cause any crashes unless you try to delete it if the game is installed in a path that is longer than 80 characters. e.g.

This will not cause a crash:

C:Program Files3000ADBattlecruiser Millennium Goldsaveplayer.log

This will cause a crash:

C:Program FilesDreamcatcher3000ADBattlecruiser Millennium Goldsaveplayer.log

And thats why this bug is only in BCM Gold and not in BCM if installed to the default folder.

In fact, when the log file gets too big (32K in size), you will be prompted to delete it. Until this BCMG patch is released, just say NO when prompted and it will continue to grow. For the log file to reach 32K, you'd have to have been playing the same game for a very, very long time.

[ 04-27-2003, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

We're heading a bit OT but here's some advice for those with random crashes: Make sure that you are only running the bare minimum of programs when running BCM/G and Defrag your drives religiously.

Here are two programs I use to make sure that my BC environment is clean:

StartUp Control Panel

Startup Selector

First I run Selector and save my current configuration as ALL. Then I run StartUp Control Panel and remove everything I don't absolutely need and use Selector and save that configuration as None.

When I want to play BCM/G, I run selector, save my current configuration as ALL and load my NONE configuration, reboot, defrag and play. When I finish playing, I reload ALL and am back to my normal environment.

It sounds like a lot of work but in reality it takes only a few moments. The benefit is that until the Comms CTD issue, I have not had a BCM/G related crash for a very very very long time (more than 1 year).

It's not guaranteed to solve the crash issues above, like the SC said it sounds like you have serious system issues, but it may well help track down where the problem actually is.

Wow.. It looks Like I wanted to reload that Box

anyhows... IGood to hear about the Com file size issue..

But I must check the install directory tree

Think SC hit the Target with that.. I'll work

the Install tree issue .. Heck I prolly ought to Reload anyway's that 98SE is a few years old..

And Like us ( IT ) guy's all ways say..

" If you don't reload Windows every 3 years, you ain't working it.. " < Grin >

Thanks for the responce.....

I usually reformat and reinstall about once a year which tends to coincide with a mobo/processor/ram upgrade.

Three years is an eternity.

< LOL >

Must be a Goverment Thing..

It all us Federal Employees can afford

I think reloads should coincide be on every administration change.

Still in the Clinton Years... < S >

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Until this BCMG patch is released, just say NO when prompted and it will continue to grow.

Will the BCMG Patch be released after xgamer gets it togther, or were you thinking about releasing it after you take care of the "Issues under Investigation?

Or should i siddown?

thanks

the atomic n00b

quote:

Originally posted by ThinkAtomic:

quote:

Until this BCMG patch is released, just say NO when prompted and it will continue to grow.

Will the BCMG Patch be released after xgamer gets it togther, or were you thinking about releasing it after you take care of the "Issues under Investigation?

Or should i siddown?

thanks

the atomic n00b

Well, since the single and multiplayer files are separate executable, there is no reason to hold one while waiting for the other. HOWEVER, I don't want to have to do that because it will just cause me too much headaches.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest John Stone

Greetings Commanders, Pilots, Marines,

Having read all of the posts here, I figure its my turn to add in a problem not new to any of us in this discussion.

Whether in combat, or going in for planetfall, or ogressing, or hyperdrive flying the program suddenly freezes, and then crashes to desktop.

Got new drivers, Media Player 7.1 and newest complete Dirext X as well. Tried turning off the effects including music(so many turned off its become pretty bland, lol) I thought it fixed it, but alas it is still crashing without warning.

I have the latest patch according to the downloads available at the download section of BCOnline, and successfully installed it in its own directory etc accoridng to the steps prescribed here (I don't think it crashes as frequently, still crashes often though).

I noticed one thing not mentioned in the preceding posts in this thread. When I start the game up the title screen seems to just sit there for an extended period of time. When I opened up my (end)task box (aka ctrl-alt-del) I found another program running with the program that starts up when I start BCM, the box calls it "~e5d141". If I close that maverick program the game starts up without the wait (crashes eventually drung the gameplay sometime), if I leave it, the game still starts up, but takes longer to start (still will finally crash eventually). I have only noticed this since updating with the patch.

I am updating my profile to include details on my system the second after I post this. Appreciate help on this. TY.

[ 05-29-2003, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: John Stone ]

I used to get crashes all the time.

Everything went away for me after I stopped quick saving. I've read other threads where it is of the general opinion that quick saving may be causing these problems.

I dunno what it could be for you, but stopping from quicksaving has helped me on my end.

Cheers!

Guest Remo Williams

John if you would get your system profile up in your sig it would be helpful! Not much anyone can do without it.

Guest John Stone

The info is there as I said it would be, didn't like the idea of a system-signature baggage so I put it in my profile under interests. What the heck, you guys want it, I'll put it there too!

quote:

Originally posted by John Stone:

The info is there as I said it would be, didn't like the idea of a system-signature baggage so I put it in my profile under interests. What the heck, you guys want it, I'll put it there too!

If I come back and its not in your sig, your posting rights will be revoked. Rules are not meant to be broken. So govern yourself accordingly...if you plan on hanging around here. Understood? Good. Now go do it.

Guest John Stone

Continuation of Problems related to last Posts

I have noticed on a number of occassions that BCM would appear to freeze (in preparation for crash), but if given a few (or more) seconds it would start up on it own, but very very choppy, the entire gameplay would move in short bursts of movement, making a dogfight murder, after a period of time not exceeding 5 minutes (at least I haven't seen it go over 5 min yet) the gameplay would resume regularly, if my vessel wasn't destroyed by then.

Note: I am working on the "REQUIRED" sig. Hey we aren't all HTLM profficient. I am working on it! Thanks for the warning, I guess.

[ 06-02-2003, 06:00 AM: Message edited by: John Stone ]

John, you are living on dangerous ground!

Stick to the rules that Tyrn already took the effort to point out:

1. Read This First!
  2. How to add your system profile to your forum sig

Last warning!

[ 06-02-2003, 03:50 AM: Message edited by: Gudihl ]