Question about destroyed ground structures

AlephZero

I've ran into an issue when destroying enemy bases. I deploy an APC from a shuttle, sneak up to the base, and drive around destoying all of the buildings. They're replaced by a transparent structure like space stations when they're destroyed. I'm able to destroy whole bases at a time while doing this, with no ground based opposition at all. Which is strange because when I bring marines in, the base goes on alert and launches it's marines and fighters. I've taken out several other bases with just one APC, racking up tons of experience points.I noticed that the more bases or structures that I destroy the slower the game gets. I even leave the the planet and land somewhere else across the globe and the game is still running more slowly than it had before I destroyed the buildings. Am I doing something wrong? Are you supposed to be able to do this? I'm caught between two strategies, why bring in a shuttle full of marines and fighter support when I can sneak in an APC and take everything out? I guess what I'm asking is if this happens to anyone else or am I just playing cheaply and slowing down the game in the process? Do destroyed ground structures take up more CPU useage than the default state of the planet? Is there another way I should be going about attacking enemy planetary bases where I could avoid the slowdown I experience while playing as a one man army in an APC?

I've tried searching the forums for people asking the same thing but I haven't been able to find anything. This only affects the planet that the bases are destroyed on, once I fly into space or land on another planet everything runs fine. I've also tried filtering the TACOPS view, thinking that having it display all of the destroyed structures was causing some extra load on the CPU but that diddn't help. I also tried landing the CC on the planet and launching from there versus launching the shuttle to the surface from orbit without a change. I read in one thread about probes and mining drones making sectors "active" even while you are away from them, does this apply to destroyed structures too? This is for BCM gold by the way...the mission zone was on Earth in TER/RAI 34.

Your not the only one who is experincing slow downs on planets.. I posted about this in the past but it was deleted..

Anywho, it seems thats when I destroy more than 4 bases the game will slow down to a crawl, when you leave the planet.. wait.. then come back it still won't help.. the game lags up again

It happens in space to. I've noticed that when you destroy more than 3 stations the game will begin to lag.. I've noticed this on my old computer and now on this new one.

Im completly unsure whats causing this.. it might be the fact that the game is trying to rebuild the structures and stations destroyed

Happens here. Get a faster comput---er, nevermind.

Save the game, as soon as the "lag" lets up to allow you to do so. (Sometimes, mine gets so bad as to be in sorta a lockup state for a few seconds at a time.)

Exit the game.

Reboot.

Load and continue.

I had a theory of this, but really, I don't even remember or care. Just get over it and play is what I do.

Alephzero, please login to your profile and fix it. Your CPU type is wrong. Your forum name is missing. You also seem to be using incorrect video drivers etc etc

Start there. Then read this

quote:

Originally posted by Kalshion:

Your not the only one who is experincing slow downs on planets.. I posted about this in the past but it was deleted..

Are you looking to get banned? Just tell me, ok?

NO posts are EVER deleted if they are reporting a VALID problem.

Now. The issue with long term play is the same as it has been in all four BC games. The longer you play, the more stuff you destroy, the more regions you visit etc etc, the more memory and processing the game will need. And if you don't have enough memory and the game ends up using the OS swap file, you will get slow downs.

The game does not graphically update regions you are not in. It does this algorithmically and in the background. So, it doesn't matter if you've had ops on 10 planets or 100 planets, the only video update that is done, is in the region you are in.

If you're going to go pissing around the game universe and doing what you describe, get a computer that is equipped to handle it. Its really that simple and thats why the discussions on it are few and far between. It is a huge game and those are the consequences.

quote:

It happens in space to. I've noticed that when you destroy more than 3 stations the game will begin to lag.. I've noticed this on my old computer and now on this new one.

Rubbish

quote:

Im completly unsure whats causing this.. it might be the fact that the game is trying to rebuild the structures and stations destroyed

Rubbish. The rebuild procedure is in fact a faster process than if the station was active. Simply because during the rebuild state (a) only minimal AI (required to wake it up once rebuilt) is processed for it (B) it is rendered differently and that takes less processing.

And if you have an Alienware P4 system (as your profile indicates), you should not be having ANY slowdowns whatsoever, especially with 1GB of RAM. But then again, I have no idea what your previous computer (on which you had the game) was - and for all I know, it could've been a Packard Bell with 64MB of RAM.

[ 04-23-2003, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Hang on SC, I've been running BCM Gold with the specs below for a few weeks now at 1024 x 768, 32 bit everything, the AA on at 4X and not only am I getting an average of 60fps but I gotta tell you this game looks fantastic! But after I destroyed a few ground bases I had things slow to a crawl as well, but ONLY in tacops while in planet view mode (the planet I had just bombed). Not just zoomed in on a mission zone but ANYWHERE in planet view. However, as soon as I zoom back to space view or leave tacops altogether I'm back to running at normal speed.

I've seen this issue elsewhere on this board, someone mentioned that after they RANDOMed a planet they had massive slowdowns when viewing said planet in tacops. I can't find the thread anywhere but I remember it was the exact same symptoms as we are having here, it was after the rebuilding phase had begun and someone asked the question "could it be all this AI rebuilding?".

Now the rebuilding may not be the problem directly but something IS happening after buildings are destroyed on the surface. Besides the AI rebuilding I don't know what the game does down in the dark corners of it's code, for answers to that question we must defer to the expert: Derek, what say ye?

For the LAST time. NOTHING is happening when buildings are destroyed.

As for Tacops, the reason it is slow is because, well, its scanning an ENTIRE planet - with buildings, units etc etc all within view and ALL being processed SIMULTANEOUSLY, regardless of the portion that you are currently viewing. Do you have ANY idea how much processing is required for just that?

quote:

Originally posted by Kalshion:

experincing slow downs...

Generally has to do with Memory. I have a Duron 800Mhz system that had 256Megs of RAM and I noticed that once I've been playing for an hour or so and visited several different places I would get slowdowns on the system. Noticed that the HD light was blinking like crazy so I knew that it was swapping back to the HD. Upgraded to 512Megs of RAM and the problem pretty much disappeared.

BTW if you have over a Gig of RAM you might want to turn off the swap file completely, or do like I'm planning on with my next system, go with 4 Gigs of RAM and have no swap file, since that is the Max that Win2K or XP can address anyway.

quote:

Originally posted by jureidinim:

What about the other part of AlephZero's post?

I'm relatively new to the game, but it's a bit disconcerting to know that an entire base can be wiped out with one ground vehicle.

As long as you are the one piloting it, you can wipe out a base with a single apc or a fighter. Racks up a lot of XP. And you can walk on to your ship after and have your crew wonder how the heck you did that!.

If you send your pilots in though, that won't happen. You have to plan out the attacks very carefully for things to go well I've found.

I'd be cool to see a vet put gtogether a snippet on the best way to attack ground bases and setting waypoints and targets. Until then.. I just keep experimenting

I admit though that ground bases don't seem to provide any obstacle to you at all when you are piloting. Anyways, I'm really just waiting on BCG where we cn capture bases. It'll make it more interesting. Though i hope we won't be able to wipe out a base with a single apc or fighter. it'd make it a real challenge everytime, and it wouldn't really be the XP gift packages they are, IMHO.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

For the LAST time. NOTHING is happening when buildings are destroyed.

As for Tacops, the reason it is slow is because, well, its scanning an ENTIRE planet - with buildings, units etc etc all within view and ALL being processed SIMULTANEOUSLY, regardless of the portion that you are currently viewing. Do you have ANY idea how much processing is required for just that?

From what I've read it looks like they mean they can look at Tacops and everything runs fine, the slowdowns only happen AFTER the buildings are destroyed, and if you say it requires LESS processing power once a building is destroyed (which makes sence) there has to be something else lagging it... Might this be the textures of the destroyed buildings themselves since it only appears to be a video issue?

Not trying to flame anyone, just trying to clear up any missunderstandings!

quote:

Originally posted by Aphelion7:

From what I've read it looks like they mean they can look at Tacops and everything runs fine, the slowdowns only happen AFTER the buildings are destroyed,[/QB]

Yeah, I also noticed this. After destroying some bases with my fighters the game started to slow down. I had to save and restore every 10 mins, just because of that. Even adding more RAM didn't help. And then I found out a solution. I dropped nukes on all of the bases that I had destroyed. Result - the game started to run as well as at the beginning. Unfortunately I didn't have much time to check if this works while having more bases destroyed. You may check this, if you want.

quote:

Originally posted by mihau:

Yeah, I also noticed this. After destroying some bases with my fighters the game started to slow down. I had to save and restore every 10 mins, just because of that. Even adding more RAM didn't help. And then I found out a solution. I dropped nukes on all of the bases that I had destroyed. Result - the game started to run as well as at the beginning. Unfortunately I didn't have much time to check if this works while having more bases destroyed. You may check this, if you want.

Read what Tyrn wrote. Base destruction has NOTHING to do with this performance slowdown. It all has to do with the number of zones that are activated and kept active. Destroyed buildings require only about 1% of the AI processing that is required if they were active.

Fact is, unless you have a high end system, you shouldn't go about blowing planetary shit up on a whim - because you'll regret it. The planetary regions require about 5x more processing power than the space regions.

Just becausse you can, doesn't mean that you should.