Bad saved games

Twitch

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Formatted or formatted properly? I'm not sure what your saying by that honestly. Waiting 5 to 10 seconds would not help at all, I'm sorry. That's just rubbish.

Granted, your right , it does upload data constantly, pressing a key while your computer is trying to gather data would not cause it to freeze. I assure you, I had the same problem as is being described right now and waiting 5-10 seconds doesn't have anything to do with it....If you still think it does, then we have differing opinions on this topic and it evidently isn't going to change. Only one of these opinions is correct. :-)

A fight to the death should resolve this, then? All I know is, when I load BCMG after a crash and start pressing buttons or activating TACOPS and what-not, the game freezes immediately, but if I leave it alone for a few, then start messing around, I have no problems. It's consistant with everytime I load after a crash.

[EDIT] Keep in mind, I'm not talking about crash prevention or the "sound loop" problems, just responding to the fellow who said he had problems loading saved games after a crash.

[ 06-27-2003, 11:42 AM: Message edited by: aggressor27 ]

quote:

Originally posted by jascatar:

ok, i have founded the problem : it's Windows 2003 server that goes wrong (not the drivers that are all updated monthly)

To work, you must go on the properties of bcm.exe, select "Compatibility", and enable compatibility mode for Windows 2000.

And no more problems ..... All work nicely now

The game was NOT designed to run under Windows 2000 Server Edition.

quote:

Originally posted by aggressor27:

Waiting 5 to 10 seconds has plenty to do with it because, like refered eirlier in this thread, if your HD is not formatted, or not formatted properly, it will take time for the program to read data from the HD. And any key stroke or action required within the game may cause the game to freeze, or go into suspension, while it is still trying to collect data, even after the program is running. The game doesn't just read from your HD at the start up screen, it constantly uploads data. I'm not trying to be offensive, just offering my advice. I apologize if there is any mistake.

This is NOTHING to do with the HDD format. What you are describing is a disk fragmentation issue. And which has NOTHING to do with the game.

Yeah, you guys gotta watch that about the OS. Just because the program or aplication states

the system requirements as Windows 98/ME/2000/XP

does not mean that it will run on the server versions of windows. Windows server OS's are coded differently than your basic OS's since their main concern is focusing on server aplications. That's not to say this is true for all applications or programs but it's hit or miss on weather you can run the program or not. Most of the time you can't. I speak from experience with Windows NT. Windows NT programs more than not would not work on my Windows 98 and Windows 98 programs would not work with Windows NT. Unless the program you purchased states otherwise expect it not to work or at least run buggy.

That's not to say that the program will not run buggy on your basic home OS editions that's a program's development issue due to some obscure OS issue and the so many drivers out there for all those add on cards IE:Video cards, sound cards, bios version etc....

Sheesh, it's a jungle out there!!!

A few more datapoints...

1) I have a savegame here, I used the FINAL slot available (the bottommost one). I did a full-save, then I hit resume. The program showed the loading, everything is initialized, it displayed "Game loaded ok" in the lower right corner, I can hear the "engine" background sound, but it just FROZE there. This is repeatable each and every time, using resume. The computer locked up HARD. Ctrl-Alt-Del won't work. I had to hit the reset.

2) Then I tried restore instead of resume. This time, it loaded, I got the bridge view, but it froze 2 seconds later. Again, hard freeze. Must hit reset.

3) I tried restore again, same result. Resume again, same result.

4) Tried previous saved game, that worked.

quote:

Originally posted by Kasey Chang:

(...)

4) Tried previous saved game, that worked.

After you have succesfully loaded any game, you should now be able to use your latest save game. Just press Alt+Q and then restore it. It helps me any time I have problem with a slot that freezes my comp.

It's almost definetly a video or sound card driver issue. Or check your bios (I think I said this already earlier in this thread). Check your bios and go from 8x to 4x on the AGP. The AGP Aperture size should also be set to HALF of you video cards memory. (i.e. you have a 128mb video card you set your aperture to 64mb).

• 5 weeks later...

BCMG I have the same saved game problem (Freezing when the bridge view comes up, music playing).

I have gone through the tips, no fix.

If I save my game then shutdown the computer, when I restart the computer and restore the last saved game it freezes. If I load the previous save everythingÔÇÖs ok, I exit game then restore the last saved game it loads OK.

BIOS Video Sound all up to date.

Great Game!

quote:

Originally posted by Blaster:

BCMG I have the same saved game problem (Freezing when the bridge view comes up, music playing).

I have gone through the tips, no fix.

If I save my game then shutdown the computer, when I restart the computer and restore the last saved game it freezes. If I load the previous save everything?s ok, I exit game then restore the last saved game it loads OK.

BIOS Video Sound all up to date.

Great Game!

I'd like to take a look at this. Pack up the saved game files and send to [email protected]. Be sure to read the forum archives to see how to find and pack up the problem saved games.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

quote:

If I save my game then shutdown the computer, when I restart the computer and restore the last saved game it freezes. If I load the previous save everything?s ok,
I exit game then restore the last saved game it loads OK.

I'd like to take a look at this. Pack up the saved game files and send to [email protected].

For me, once the last saved game has been "corrected" by first loading the previous game, it will always load correctly. Consequently, it might be better if he first reproduces the problem, anew, then send off the newly saved game.

My other post was with the same game. Possibly related, I tried to play the sample file that came with Media Player 7.1 and it ÔÇ£skippedÔÇØ badly about 5 seconds into the playback. I ended up reinstalling windows to correct this. I also restored the game I sent to you on another computer and it loaded ok, saved the game, restarted the computer and on restore it locked up at the same place. So my guess is the file is faulty in some way. I donÔÇÖt have another profile so I will have to start a new one .

Blaster, your saves game helped located a very serious bug which seems to have been in there since BCM. People in the past reported being unable to load some saved games etc but of course, nobody ever produced a saved game which manifested the problem accurately.

Because of how memory is being accessed, some people will experience this problem in some cases and others won't. In fact, some people had really crazy theories (which I ignored of course because its rubbish) like ....oh, I never save in slot 0 because that doesn't work or (and this is my favorite) ....reduce the acceleration on your sound card

Anyway, it is fixed now (you should be able to now load that saved game) and I am going to be releasing a patch later this weekend for both BCM and BCM Gold (Beta).

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Thank you for the download, now my saved game loads just fine! Your consistent support is much appreciated.

You're welcome. Your submitted saved game was instrumental in finding and fixing this sporadic (and difficult to reproduce) problem.

SC, maybe you can replace the Quick Save feature with a Save & Resume feature, since that is what most of us do anyhow. Save & Exit should be used just for that, when you actually want to quit the game or that particular profile. I'll siddown now....

quote:

Originally posted by Jaypexx:

SC, maybe you can replace the Quick Save feature with a Save & Resume feature, since that is what most of us do anyhow. Save & Exit should be used just for that, when you actually want to quit the game or that particular profile.

heh, I've removed the Quick Save, in case you haven't noticed. Download the latest patches.

quote:

I'll siddown now....

LOL!!! Good, save me the trouble of telling u to

quote:

Originally posted by Bandus:

What exactly, besides the difference in name, would there be between a Quicksave and a "Save and Resume" feature?

The difference between the now defunct Quick Save and my idea is that you would be sent to the save screen to do your thing and then be automatically returned back to the game after it was successfully & safely saved. Right now, with Save & Exit, we go to the save screen and then out to the main menu, only to manually resume the game.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

heh, I've removed the Quick Save, in case you haven't noticed. Download the latest patches.

Just after I made my post, I found reference to your weekend update, which is now installed and seems to be functioning properly. I still wouldn't mind seeing a "Save & Resume" though .