Patching problem

delmrr

I am having a problem getting my BCMG to patch to the 1.01 version. I get the patch from the Dreamcatcher site, save it on my desktop, then double click it to install. It seems to install, but after clicking finish, I get an error stating that it cannot find a readme file with strange characters for the file name. I click ok to exit, it all then disappears. Now I run the game, but i only get the default 1.00.04 version that ive had all along.

I had successfully installed the patch earlier in the evening, but i was getting crashes and freezing, so i uninstalled, then reinstalled. Since that time, i get the above patch problem. Im pulling my hair out in frustration. Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, what am i missing?

me too ... well,i tryed one thing:removed the save files and then launched bcmg.exe with /c parameter...it gets into the main screen/menu(shows:NO SERVERS CONNECTED or something like that),and i get a verry blurry screen (text is not in the buttons as it should be...probably its the procedure's fault)...anyway,im getting the same thing as u do.I will find out myself whats the problem,since im too lazy to fill-up the specs./reg. ,so i cant get an answer from anyone (i dont need you folk! )

Sorry im not much of a help.

p.s.:once when i started bcmg.exe without the /c parameter,i got into the same main menu as when you start normaly the game (bcm.exe)...hehe,woohoo,simulating the bcm:g space sim's selection menu *joke* ...

quote:

Originally posted by delmrr:

I get the patch from the Dreamcatcher site, save it on my desktop, then double click it to install. It seems to install, but after clicking finish, I get an error stating that it cannot find a readme file with strange characters for the file name. I click ok to exit, it all then disappears. Now I run the game, but i only get the default 1.00.04 version that ive had all along.

Try reading the VCF, TS FAQ, Try doing a search in these forums.

What i found that works is putting the patch in the folder of BCM/G(ie where the Bcm.exe file is), THEN installing it.

As it states in the VCF to install said patch. you can find these on the 3000ad site under file downloads.

Or you can Click Here

You might want to put your System Specs in your Sig. it makes it easier for providing support,

Instructions are on the main page of the forums near top of the page. click Forum Sig

[ 06-04-2003, 03:32 AM: Message edited by: ThinkAtomic ]

I noticed one odd thing when installing the patch. On the final screen, with the finish button active, the "check" button box next to "show the readme file" is not visible. But if you mouse over where it should be, it will appear. You can then uncheck it. Which I did, and the patch installed fine.

quote:

I am having a problem getting my BCMG to patch to the 1.01 version. I get the patch from the Dreamcatcher site, save it on my desktop, then double click it to install. It seems to install, but after clicking finish, I get an error stating that it cannot find a readme file with strange characters for the file name. I click ok to exit, it all then disappears. Now I run the game, but i only get the default 1.00.04 version that ive had all along.

I had successfully installed the patch earlier in the evening, but i was getting crashes and freezing, so i uninstalled, then reinstalled. Since that time, i get the above patch problem. Im pulling my hair out in frustration. Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, what am i missing?

Please post tech support related issues in the tech support area.

READ the troubleshooting FAQ. Thats why it was written. And it has clear specs for applying patches.

Also, I just KNEW that some people were going to apply this patch without paying ANY attention to the dialogs that are displayed. The patch assumes that you have the game installed in the DEFAULT path. If you changed this when you installed the game, then you need to point the patch to the new folder when the destination dialog prompt comes up. The only reason I used Installshield is because it was the only way to fix the incorrect shortcut parameters because rtPatch won't do it.

quote:

Originally posted by MindFever:

me too ... well,i tryed one thing:removed the save files and then launched bcmg.exe with /c parameter...*joke* ...

Keep posting rubbish in my forums and misleading people (the /c flag is no longer used, was deliberately removed by the patch etc etc) and you WILL be banned.

quote:

Originally posted by Spindoktor:

I noticed one odd thing when installing the patch. On the final screen, with the finish button active, the "check" button box next to "show the readme file" is not visible. But if you mouse over where it should be, it will appear. You can then uncheck it. Which I did, and the patch installed fine.

That is a harmless quirk in Installshield. Besides, you have no business disabling the readme because it was designed for you to READ IT.

*TOPIC MOVED*

quote:

Besides, you have no business disabling the readme because it was designed for you to READ IT.

Indeed. I just like to print all docs post-patching process, and update my BC binder. Thus no need to view it.

But consider me admonished.

Thanks SC and all who posted. I still cannot get the patch to work. I did not change anything when i installed BCMG. I also copied the patch to the BCMG folder and tried running it from there, but to no avail. Is there a specific folder or file within the BCMG folder that I need to copy the patch into? I've looked for anything saying .exe, but cannot find it

Sorry if i'm a technical knucklehead, but let me know if i'm doing something wrong.

quote:

I still cannot get the patch to work.

Perhaps your copy of the patch is corrupted. I would try downloading it again.

Also, the folder you want to put the patch into before installing is this "C:Program FilesDreamCatcher3000ADBattlecruiser Millennium Gold" assuming you installed to the default path.

If that doesn't work, maybe a full uninstall, install game, install patch is in order.

Good luck, the patch has a lot of good stuff in it!

Thanks Spin. I uninstalled/reinstalled once, and have downloaded numerous copies of the patch (even from different download sites). Nothings seems to work. But I will go thru the process again later and hope somethings catches. I initially had the patch installed, but I was getting countless crashes and screen freezes (anyone have the same problems?). That's when i uninstalled/reinstalled and cannot now get the patch to work. Just seems strange. Oh well, I'll try again later.

quote:

Thanks Spin. I uninstalled/reinstalled once, and have downloaded numerous copies of the patch (even from different download sites). Nothings seems to work. But I will go thru the process again later and hope somethings catches. I initially had the patch installed, but I was getting countless crashes and screen freezes (anyone have the same problems?). That's when i uninstalled/reinstalled and cannot now get the patch to work. Just seems strange. Oh well, I'll try again later.

If thats the case, then the patch was never installed properly to begin with. Hence the crashes etc.

quote:

Hmm someone has already told you where to put the patch

download the patch to your BCMG directory (when it asks you to save as or open, click save as and point it to your BCMG dir)

Then open it from there =) and please read the readme file.. SC didn't spend all that time for nothing

Ok, all, i'm doing my best but I still cannot get the patch to work. I have uninstalled/reinstalled the BCMG. I have gotten the new patch from Dreamcatcher and have saved it in the directory C:Program Files/Dreamcatcher/3000AD/Battlecruiser Millenium Gold/. The patch is visibly in this folder. I double-click and allow it to install. The funky readme message appears and I close it. It seems to be the process that I have done with all other games I have installed, so nothing seems out of the ordinary. I then try to run the game and I only get the 1.00.4 version that comes on the CD. I feel very frustrated and have seemingly followed all the instructions. What's wrong? I will post my setup in sig menu.

After updating your sig to include your system information, state exactly what that "funky" message is. Or you might be able to find the answer yourself by going here and cut and pasting your funky message into step 2 and see what it tells you. You could also read up on file associations, and tell us what application you have associated with rich text formatted files (.rtf).

SC,hehe ...u dont scare me:) besize,what i said something about the /c and then the weird effect,i said that obviously it was my fault by trying that.And anyway,if u read even further,u will notice i wasnt too serious about something i typed.

What i see from my eyes is true.If this is because of something else,i dont think you can blame me for posting it here now,can you?

Do what u wish SC

Cheerz ppl.

quote:

SC,hehe ...u dont scare me:) besize,what i said something about the /c and then the weird effect,i said that obviously it was my fault by trying that.And anyway,if u read even further,u will notice i wasnt too serious about something i typed.

What i see from my eyes is true.If this is because of something else,i dont think you can blame me for posting it here now,can you?

Do what u wish SC

Cheerz ppl.

Right. heh, the point I was making is that if you want to experiment - outside of the instructions provided - be my guest. Just don't mislead others - especially hapless n00bs.

Delmrr, just a shot in the dark but do you have a virus protection program running in the background when you are trying to patch up? If so try installing again with the virus protection program shut down. I have had problems in the past with patches (although not with BCMG) not loading properly due to my virus protection program running in the background.

Other than that I'm stumped since I had no problem patching BCMG up to the current version.

SC,heh...well,it seems i dont like threats for nothing,so i respond in a certain manner as you respond for something you think is obvious.In anycase ,i will keep that in mind.

But i must say again about this...that is to you Sc...

Well,when i patched my bcmg,when i launch bcm.exe to play a SP game,everything is ok (only one thing,the ver. number is the old one...but maybe its because the patch is only for MP client.lets moove on...).When i try to launch the client normaly,the intro plays...then it ends,seems like the game MP client will load...pooff,the next moment im staring on my desktop (i tryed several times and several other things too...im not new on BC series anyway).

Then,i tryed to launch the server...same thing.

OK,i remembered a guy saying (before the patch was released),when he remooved the savegame files from /save folder,he could start bcmg.exe /c ...so i tryed...well,it worked (a bit gfx garbled on the menus,no sweat).But,no servers online...ok there are servers offline i guess.

I tryed to run without the /c parameter,it just goes into the selection menu,as if i choosed to run a SP game...

I tryed to run a MP server,same thing... but,the difference was that it crashed and my winXP reported an error (send report,cancel report garbage)...

Thats my story...just to inform.IM NOT HERE TO SPECULATE BTW.

I hope that im the only one having this kind of problems:) If not,im confident they will be resolved sooner or later.

Cheerz

p.s.:i hope im usefull in anykind...my pc specs are all checked,but not registered:)) im too lazy...will do that soon.if this means i cant get an answer,so be it no sweat,i will figure it out.

Mindfever, your post gave me a headache.

quote:

only one thing,the ver. number is the old one...but maybe its because the patch is only for MP client.lets moove on

This should be all the evidence you need to know you didn't patch correctly.

SpinkDoctor,hehe It was intended to promote aspirin industry or something (the post that is...).

Well,but if i would be too short,wich is not to be precise,than SC would be verry harsh on such posts... Anyway,i know that i didnt patch correctly (its obvious...but again,why on other games i didnt have such problems.because no other games get close to BC series in strategy/vastness ,thats why!! ok,sorry... No prob dude. woops,talking to myself again...)...but you see,if you read again,when i try the /c parameter,the ver. number changes to newer one and only works/starts (only with bcmg.exe file!and gets to the normal menu...weird) when i remove old save files...as if my saves arent compatible with the new patch ( AS IF ... not that im sure this is it,by all means.i can get banned for such things ,i heard ...for giving you people headakes that is !

Oh well,short posts are not in my to-do lists/projects ahhh wtf,who cares

Cheers

The End ?

Ahh,i will just get the hell outtahere and spin my Numark pro tt2 (turntables) in my room...

[ 06-06-2003, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: MindFever ]

Where's your system profile info?

MindFever, put your system profile info into your sig.

Then, do the following, exactly. No fiddling around with command line settings, no screwing around with trying to save your savegames, no changing ANYTHING.

[*]Uninstall BCMG.

[*]Go to the folder in your hard drive (should be "C:Program FilesDreamCatcher3000ADBattlecruiser Millennium Gold") and delete everything.

[*]Install BCMG to the default folder, which should be the above.

[*]Download the patch. Do it again if you've already done it. Just in case.

[*]Copy the patch exe to the game folder.

[*]Run the patch, make sure it picks the folder that you installed BCMG to.

[*]Use the start menu shortcuts to run the game. Screw any command line parameters you have already made.

If you have done this, your patch should work. If you're having trouble, you either have a problem with where you installed it, where you're patching, there's some sort of glitch in the matrix, or you've obviously screwed something up.

There are updates to the single player core, in the update. (RTFVCF)

There's a bad lack of servers right now. As of this moment, I see exactly zero online.

Sorry,i will post my system info line... im too lazy to do that and i allways forgot:) Well,i dont even demand for the reply (as far as i know,if u dont have the sys info in your profile ,SC prohibited replyes to people who dont have this posted...but,maybe this is an old scrapped rule).

Anyway,i did (allmost)all of this...just in case,i will install bcmg in the default folder (even thou,i did change the default dir settings when i tryed patching).

Thanks for the reply.I will try and try again.

But i only wanted to comment what problems i had,not what must i do...in good faith,that this will help improove the game system (just reporting) and supporting.Again,i thank you Cmdr. Nova But if i find other methods (or if this doesnt work,and i find out how did i fix this),i will post it here.

Cheers !

quote:

Sorry,i will post my system info line... im too lazy to do that and i allways forgot:) Well,i dont even demand for the reply (as far as i know,if u dont have the sys info in your profile ,SC prohibited replyes to people who dont have this posted...but,maybe this is an old scrapped rule).

I only said that posters don't need their sys info unless they do not intend to post in the tech support forums.

This is a tech support forum and you've posted in it. Please fix your sig. And make NO mistake about this, I'm not the only one with the power to ban or restrict posting rights. So, if you see someone (especially another dev or Beta tester) tell you do to something, just DO it. Or LEAVE. This is a military installation with a command structure. Then again, you already know that, right?

• 1 month later...

delmrr? Is he still around? Anyways, I had this exact same problem and the ONLY way I could resolve it is in, what I am almost positive, a completely unsupported way... so to be forewarned, this worked for me and this is definetly not an offical fix for this issue.

1. Completely uninstall BCMG and delete all the folders related to it... I went so far as to hunt down registery files but I do not think you need to go quite that far.

2. Install BCMG in a DIFFERENT folder than C:Program FilesDreamCatcher3000ADBattlecruiser Millennium Gold

C:Program FilesBCMG is where I chose to install it

3. Copy the patch into the clean install folder (C:Program FilesBCMG) and run it

4. Change the destination folder to C:Program FilesBCMG

5. Finish the install and notice that the readme has "v1.00.01 (05-30-03)" right below the title. This means things are going as planned.

6. Notice that NOTHING has changed in C:Program FilesBCMG!!!!! The patch has created a folder C:Program FilesDreamCatcher3000ADBattlecruiser Millennium Gold and has put all of its files in there!

7. Copy everything from the folder the patch created EXCEPT BCSETUP.INI

8. Paste all of them in the correct game directory (C:Program FilesBCMG)

Note that the BCSETUP.INI that you did not copy has none of the necessary code in it and is targeting the wrong directory and if you copy that over, you will need to reinstall if you did not backup the original BCSETUP.INI. For completness, you should notice in your docs directory a new bcmgvcf.html file... read that. It should give info about 1.00.01 dated 5.03.03 rather than 1.00.40 and you should be set. You can open the BCSETUP.INI file and change the version to 1.00.01 because thats what you are using now

If this does not solve it, private message me please.