Patching problem

delmrr

quote:

Originally posted by Dambreville:

6. Notice that NOTHING has changed in C:Program FilesBCMG!!!!! The patch has created a folder C:Program FilesDreamCatcher3000ADBattlecruiser Millennium Gold and has put all of its files in there!

Which is exactly why you shouldn't have done this to begin with. The patch expects the install path to be in the default install folder.

quote:

Which is exactly why you shouldn't have done this to begin with. The patch expects the install path to be in the default install folder.

This is exactly the issue...

Delmrr and I apparently have the same problem and that is when I install the game to the folder it defaults to, the patch does not replace any of the files...

When I apply the patch inside the default install folder with a clean installation (C:Program FilesDreamCatcher3000ADBattlecruiser Millennium Gold) and do EXACTLY what the troubleshooting faq says, the patch does nothing but make files called killfile.exe and BCServerConfig.exe. There is NO change to the vcf text, the bcm faq exists but no bcmgfaq file and the exe files are unchanged in size, the readme.rtf straight off the patch reads the old readme (no v1.00.01 (5-30-03) anywhere in the text), the game still reads v1.00.40 and the commander career can not get the "illegal items" menu in tradcom at stations which is a feature that is changed in v1.00.01

quote:

The commander career now has access to the illegal items list in Tradcom

The ONLY way I have gotten the patch to apply at all is by that method and I have tried literally everything off the troubleshooting faq and forum... as I am sure delmrr has.

Oy, vey. After reading all the posts in this topic I can understand why SC gets irritated.

I'm gunna put my two cents in I hope it's worth it. First off a Pc is not a Console (thank god). The computer needs fine tunning from time to time and this in most part is due to Windows. Do the following (before contacting any game company Tech support):

1. Make sure all drivers and OS are up to date. If not, update them.

2. Before installation do a scandisk and Defrag also you might find it useful to do a full surface scan of the hardrive from time to time this will pick up any bad sectors on the hardrive that a standard scandisk run will not pick up and the sector scan will mark those bad areas on your hardrive as unusable to the OS. If you do have bad sectors, it might be time to invest in a new HD.

3. Install Game.

4. Run game. (if game runs fine you can proceed to step 5 else skip to step 6)

5. Download any patches that are avail for game and install it.

6. If game and/or patch do not run or give you problems read all the FAQS avail in the manual and Online.

7. Ask youself how long has my OS been up and running since I installed it and how many programs have I installed and Unistalled to the OS. More than likely the OS is bogged down and this is most important when it concerns the REGISTRY FILE. It might be good time to do a fresh install of the OS. Or another altenative if you are brave enough use Registry cleaner program to get rid of any useless crap that's lingering in the Registry file. I myself find it much easier to backup my important files and do a fresh OS install

8. After you do all of the above and you still have problems with the Game and it's patches then it's time to contact the Tech Support dept.

9. And before you ask, yes I do all of the above mostly steps 1 and 2. I've had no problem with BCMG at all. Installing it, running it and patching it.

Aye, check off those and a couple more important ones I am sure you would have listed (avoid installing unnessary programs, have only system required processes and BCMG running and nothing else, make sure everything is supported by BCMG etc).

My OS is WinXP Professional Edition if that means anything different from Home Edition.

quote:

Originally posted by Dambreville:

Aye, check off those and a couple more important ones I am sure you would have listed (avoid installing unnessary programs, have only system required processes and BCMG running and nothing else, make sure everything is supported by BCMG etc).

My OS is WinXP Professional Edition if that means anything different from Home Edition.

Acutally, I didn't include turning off background processes because I don't bother myself

doing that save for the task scheduler and I've never had any problems installing any games.

As for XP yes the pro edition is different than the home. The pro is more tweakable in terms of security, networking etc.... I only use and will only use windows98 until I'm forced to change due to driver support etc... and don't know much about the inner workings of XP although there was a topic covered somewhere on this board about XP setup. Do a search for it. I'm wating for the all new windows due out in some time now the working title for it is LongHorn.

My system profile is linked properly now. I did not include any driver version numbers because I'm always updating them when new ones are available.

That particular first patch uses the same Installshield installer as the game installer on the CD. The reason for this is that I needed to change the shortcuts which rtPatch, used for BCM patches, does not have a way of doing that. All the patch does is replace/add files, update shortcuts, update registry (path/version info) and nothing else. If you don't have the correct rights to the machine, there may be problems. If the game is not installed properly - and to the default folder - you may have problems etc etc.

And Installshield is just an installer. It is the OS via Windows Installer that does the work. In fact, Windows Installer may be borked on that machine and is probably flagging some files are shared etc etc. Here is how to find out.

1. Uninstall the game as per the FAQ
  2. Go to the registry and look at the
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionSharedDLLs tree for any entries pointing to the now uninstalled game. If you find any, remove them.

3. Reinstall the game using the defaults
  4. Download and install the patch

Prior to installing the patch, you can download and run a file watcher and install it first. Then after applying the patch, you can see which files on your system were affected.

WARNING: Go pissing around in your registry without backing it up and not knowing what you're doing, is your responsibility. If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

[ 07-30-2003, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

WARNING: Go pissing around in your registry without backing it up and not knowing what you're doing, is your responsibility. If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it.

I agree 100% with that assesment. Don't fudge around with the Registry. I only tried that once a few years ago my windows was bugged out (booting in slow and lots of blue screen of deaths) So,I figured it wouldn't hurt to experiment with a Reg cleaner program. Even after I cleaned out all the dangling registry entries, windows was still bugging out. So I usually just preach backup and do and fresh install because the time you spend searching and cleaning out the Regisrty it's faster and more efficent to just do a fresh OS install.

Anyway, I don't know why some have problems when installing the game and patching to other than the default drive and directory. All my games and programs are on my D: drive and I have not one problem with them. Most importantly BCMG I've had not one problem with it. I know there are some possible causes but it just boggles me .

Here's another little useful tip I picked up along my travels. I have an 80gig hard drive plenty of room to do mutliple partitions. 20 gigs for the boot partition, 40 gigs for the games and programs, 15 gigs for downloads and 5 gigs for the swap and temp files. My drives list as (when I go into my computer):

Boot_disk C:

Games_prog D:

Downloads E:

Swap_Temp F:

The biggest benefit for doing it this way is your boot drive is saved from excessive fragmentations and boot up speed is fast and I find that windows files get less corrupted. Downloaded files, swap files and temporary files are the biggest culprits for a fragmented Hard Drive. Most importantly the Swap file is the biggest culprit. I also reassign the windows/temp directory and the IE temp files onto the swap disk. Let me tell you it use to take me forever and quite often to do a defrag when I just used a C: even with a C: and D: partition. Now the C: drive is barely fragmented as well as the D: drive even if it's weeks before I defrag. 99% of the fragmentations now occur on the E: and F: drive but who cares they are not invovled in booting and running programs. So if anyone here is planning to do a fresh OS install, it would be a great benefit if you re-partition your drives to the above scheme.

quote:

Originally posted by LostInSpace:

Here's another little useful tip I picked up along my travels. I have an 80gig hard drive plenty of room to do mutliple partitions. 20 gigs for the boot partition, 40 gigs for the games and programs, 15 gigs for downloads and 5 gigs for the swap and temp files. My drives list as (when I go into my computer):

Boot_disk C:

Games_prog D:

Downloads E:

Swap_Temp F:

The biggest benefit for doing it this way is your boot drive is saved from excessive fragmentations and boot up speed is fast and I find that windows files get less corrupted. Downloaded files, swap files and temporary files are the biggest culprits for a fragmented Hard Drive. Most importantly the Swap file is the biggest culprit. I also reassign the windows/temp directory and the IE temp files onto the swap disk. Let me tell you it use to take me forever and quite often to do a defrag when I just used a C: even with a C: and D: partition. Now the C: drive is barely fragmented as well as the D: drive even if it's weeks before I defrag. 99% of the fragmentations now occur on the E: and F: drive but who cares they are not invovled in booting and running programs. So if anyone here is planning to do a fresh OS install, it would be a great benefit if you re-partition your drives to the above scheme.

What if you were a philosophy major?