Crash to Desktop in Syrion Quadrant...

kschang

Here's an odd experience while in the Syrion quadrant...

I was trying the trade route suggested (Sarien to Majora). Successfully did one run, and was going back to Sarien when a bunch of enemies jumped into the system, mostly light stuff. Then a raider jumped in with a BC MK2, only 400 km away. I turned around to engage. Then it got pounded by defending ships already there. Shields went down in a hurry, then hull started dropping...

BLAM! I've back at desktop, no error message at all. It's as if I never ran BCMG.

So I restart the computer, then resume the game, tried the same thing again. This time I ran the route twice, then I ran into some enemies in Majoris. Again, an enemy BC jumped in, and got nailed. When it dies, again, I got CTD (crash to desktop).

I haven't saved (my fault) so this just wiped out about 2 hours of progress.

I know, SC... However, it's rather consistent. I remember watching the other AI ships get pummelled, then POOF! I'm back at desktop. It's happened enough times that I'm a bit suspicious.

Which sorta brings up a related question... Is there an auto-save option somewhere? Like... every time you dock, or something like that?

Kasey, no auto save option.

Furthermore, like he said, if he can't reproduce it, he can't fix it. I'll try it myself but I have a feeling nothing is going to go wrong. I suggest you check, like the SC said, your system resources. Disable all background programs, exc, exc. Check all drivers and all that good stuff.

quote:

Originally posted by Kasey Chang:

I know, SC... However, it's rather consistent. I remember watching the other AI ships get pummelled, then POOF! I'm back at desktop. It's happened enough times that I'm a bit suspicious.

You could have some corrupt files. Or something. I just tried it and it worked fine once the NPCs showed up.

You say its consistent. Is that with a new game profile or one you are already playing with?

And you need to give steps for reproducing this, since going to the region and sitting around doesn't do anything bad.

quote:

Originally posted by Kasey Chang:

New piece of info... I just ran Norton Diagnostics, and it claims that one of my memory locations has failed. Single bit error in 384 megs of RAM... Darn.

Yep, thats bad alright. Any program that tries to write to the memory location will cause a problem.

hrmmmmm......

Is there any way to check this without Norton Diagnostics?

I get an odd memory "cannot write to blah blah blah block address" messages sometimes... But BIOS goes through memory check fine........

This could be a cause to some of my rare issues with the game.

--doesn't happen enough or consistant enough to try to troubleshoot. I just restart if it CTDs, which is rare these days.

quote:

Originally posted by Sir John Falstaff:

hrmmmmm......

Is there any way to check this without Norton Diagnostics?

I get an odd memory "cannot write to
blah blah blah
block address" messages sometimes... But BIOS goes through memory check fine........

This could be a cause to some of my rare issues with the game.

--doesn't happen enough or consistant enough to try to troubleshoot. I just restart if it CTDs, which is rare these days.

Your BIOS will rarely find a memory chip problem. You need a memory checker and there are SO many - free ones - on the Net that I'm surprised you're even asking this question. Several download links are on the links section of the website. Go there. Thats why I maintain that list.