BCMG crashing at run-time

semiazas

Hi, just purchased yesterday. Fresh install, 1.01 patch, and 1.01.01rc7 patch all crash immediately after attempting to run the application. System is freshly installed Windows XP with the most current patches and drivers. Per a few other posts I installed the Indeo 5.1 codec, then tried the Microsoft patch via their update service. After the codec was installed, I uninstalled BC (per the uninstall instructions in the FAQ) and reinstalled from scratch, ran, then patched, ran, then patched, etc. I then reconfigured video to force 60hz refresh at 800x600 16bit color mostly due to the question regarding desktop bit depth on the registration page. This didn't help either (including the uninstall, reinstall run per patch). In every case, upon running the application, a image pops up, disappears, then a "bcm.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close" error pops up. Per another post, I tried the /w1 and /n options which didn't change the behaviour in any way. Anyone have any suggestions I might try? Thanks.

Follow the FAQ again and completely uninstall the game, the DELETE the install folder.

Install Direct 9.0b

Then re-install the game

Copy the 1.01 and 1.01.01 RC7 patches directly into the game install folder and execute them in succession.

Also, BCM, BCMG etc at native Windows programs and you do not need to mess with your desktop res and bitdepth. Please tell me where you saw this information please because it relates to the legacy BC3K.

I uninstalled per the FAQ, reinstalled DirectX 9, reinstalled the game, copied and ran the two patch files and had no luck The game still crashes immediately after the first image pops up. I can post dxdiag output and/or the error output generated when it crashes if that would help any? This machine seems fine other than this strange problem. I've successfully played Tron 2.0, Tribes 2, and Halo PC as well as briefly looked at Pirates of the Caribbean and Tomb Raider Angle of Darkness (both of which suck pretty bad btw) without any noticable problem. About the only thing I haven't tried is reformating and reinstalling. Considering this machine is about two weeks old I don't think that would make any difference. Could the cdrom drive being E: cause a problem?

Have you tried just installing the game and running it without applying ANY patches?

Start from scratch, uninstall, delete folder, install. Run the game and let us know what happens.

If that runs, then apply the first patch, run it again.

Then apply the second patch etc etc

quote:

Originally posted by semiazas:

Unfortunately in every case that's what I did. I didn't patch without trying first. I'm about to reinstall Windows XP just for grins.

Well, sounds like driver problems. I won't re-install WinXP just yet.

Looks like you have one of the Shuttle systems. So, you should make sure that you have all the drivers (especially sound drivers) installed first.

Also, check the game FAQ and see if disabling the sound processing via the commandline, reveals anything.

You can also use the same method to disable the startup animation. Its all in the FAQ.

Eitherway, something at startup is conflicting with your system.

I went ahead and completely reinstalled from scratch (new hard disk, fresh install). Exact same freaking problem.

I've tried the various options (-n, -w1, -w2, -x0) to no avail. The chipset is a Nvidia Nforce 2 and uses a "unified" driver that handles everything from ide drives to sound. I've tried disabling sound in bios but that didn't help. Here's the error that occurs in both single and multiplayer:

Faulting application bcm.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module ~df394b.tmp, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x000548ed.

This error is the exact same every time, regardless of what option I use, with or without sound. I don't have a joystick, would that cause problems?

quote:

Originally posted by semiazas:

Faulting application bcm.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module ~df394b.tmp, version 0.0.0.0, fault address 0x000548ed.

This error is the exact same every time, regardless of what option I use, with or without sound. I don't have a joystick, would that cause problems?

No, lack of a joystick will not cause this problem.

Try this

1. Uninstall the game and delete the install folder
  2. Re-install DirectX 9.0b and the latest drivers for your Shuttle system
  3. Run DXDIAG and run ALL the DirectX tests. Check if any of them fail at all
  4. Install the game from the CDROM. Do NOT apply ANY patches at this time.
  5. Edit the shortcut and add /n as a shortcut parameter.
  6. Run the game using the shortcut

quote:

Originally posted by bob3terd:

imhaving the same problem but i cant understand what your talking about can you put it in terms that i can use like tell me step by step in simple terms if you can ill be greatful

I thought my post was simple enough and in plain English? How else am I supposed to explain it?

quote:

Originally posted by bob3terd:

well its not i dont get the part about shortcut perametres and stuff

Try reading the FAQ. And why do you need to mess with shortcuts?

Listen. Just follow the instructions in the FAQ to uninstall the game. Then re-install and get it RUNNING before you start applying patches. If you can't get it running from a fresh install, patches aren't going to help.

[ 10-26-2003, 06:53 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

YOU SAID

Try this

Uninstall the game and delete the install folder

Re-install DirectX 9.0b and the latest drivers for your Shuttle system

Run DXDIAG and run ALL the DirectX tests. Check if any of them fail at all

Install the game from the CDROM. Do NOT apply ANY patches at this time.

Edit the shortcut and add /n as a shortcut parameter.

Run the game using the shortcut

i dont get the part ofedit the shortcut and add /n as the shortcut perameters

quote:

i dont get the part ofedit the shortcut and add /n as the shortcut perameters

What part don't you get? You right click on the shortcut, left click on properties, and edit the target field so it reads like this:

"C:Program FilesDreamCatcher3000ADBattlecruiser Millennium Goldbcm.exe" /n

This assumes you installed the game to default directory of your c drive.

Ok so your a n00b and having trouble patching / trouble shooting / adding command line parameters ?

Well go take a look at these Viewlets page the largest is 2Meg so it may take time to download on dial up.

I made about 8 of these with ViewletBuilder2 but they wouldn't work when I uploaded them to my web pages.

I re-made a couple with the Free trial version of VieletBuilder4 only problem is it places a logo in the centre of the screen till you buy and register.

Edit URL changed

[ 06-11-2004, 07:56 AM: Message edited by: Pugwash ]