deploying marines from shuttles

tagos

Sorry to have to ask this, I'm sure it's just me being dim. I've read the manual repeatedly and various documents here and searched the forum several times but after two solid days of trying I'm no closer to figuring it out.

I can't get marines to deploy from a shuttle.

I set two waypoints (as recommended in one of the threads I found in search) and can get the shuttle to land. I can get it to deploy a drone happily.

Not sure if problem lies with setting up teams prior to launch. I prep the marines for combat, send them to the shuttle, set up waaypoints and launch shuttle.

Any suggestions as to what I'm missing would be very much appreciated.

Just to say i'm a great fan of this series (enough to have the gold version on it's way despite having BCM), smashed my right arm a year or so ago and it's only just strong enough to work a joystick in the last few months and have set aside easter to crack BCM so I'm very frustrated at my obtuseness.

Could it be connected with my secondary problem of setting an altitude for a waypoint?

Thanks very much in advance for your suggestions.

The last game I played was Freelancer so perhaps my brain has died.

I believe you have to send the marines you want deployed to an away team, and then deploy the team, I'm still new to this, but I've done something along the lines and I've had a squad of marines standing around outside of the shuttle waiting for orders, only thing is they didn't have any weapons! I guess I forgot to prep them for combat...still trying to figure that part out.

quote:

Originally posted by AlephZero:

I believe you have to send the marines you want deployed to an away team, and then deploy the team, I'm still new to this, but I've done something along the lines and I've had a squad of marines standing around outside of the shuttle waiting for orders, only thing is they didn't have any weapons! I guess I forgot to prep them for combat...still trying to figure that part out.

Thanks I think it's the team forming that's the problem. No matter what way I deploy marines to a shuttle, even ordering them through the team option, doesn't work. The shuttle mission choice is always just none or evacuate team. Setting the last waypoint as deploy team does nothing so I guess there is no team onboard.

Frustrating.

It works as listed in the manual. I just tried it.

You can only deploy them via the shuttle waypoint - the same way you can deploy a drone, vehicle etc. Just make sure you set the deploy waypoint properly or the shuttle won't land. And if it doesn't land, it won't deploy.

There are no team specific waypoints in BCM/BCMG

quote:

The last game I played was Freelancer so perhaps my brain has died.

haha, no comment

Thanks Sc, I'm certain it works as advertised, I'm just not seeing the blindingly obvious. I can get the shuttle to land but it just starts the dust-off count-down and RTB's.

Hopefully i'll have better luck with the gold version.

Is it possible I'm somehow setting a waypoint below ground level (he said grasping at straws)?

Anyway, I can beam the buggers down and avoid the problem.

It's minor anyway and in no way detracts from anything.

Part of the fun is discovering all the possibilities and potentials.

And even in instant action training the experience is awesome, the ship to ship battles, the constant tension of knowing there's a cloak ship lurking, the beating I gave my own shin when I forgot to turn off the power to the shuttle bay and intruders half inch my last shuttle.

Cads and bounders. It's just not cricket!

Pleased to say my proselytysing on the X2 forum, where i'm the moderator of the Off-topic bit (and am adopting your suffer no fools gladly approach), is paying off with at least one purchaser of Gold.

Try not to let the influx of riches go to your head.

I enjoyed FL for what it was, a jolly decent shoot-em-up, but couldn't shake the ghost of promises past or ignore the constant feeling that with just a few extra features it could have been great. Still, fun while it lasted.

quote:

Originally posted by SteveM:

Thanks Sc, I'm certain it works as advertised, I'm just not seeing the blindingly obvious. I can get the shuttle to land but it just starts the dust-off count-down and RTB's.

It will only start the dust-off count-down if it has landed. And if has landed, it means that it has deployed something. And if it doesn't deploy it, then it means there was nothing to deploy.

Read the HOW TO section of the manual (BCMG) or the in the tutorial HTML file (BCM).

quote:

Try not to let the influx of riches go to your head.

aw, now why would I want to go and do that?

Hello all,

I have been following this post carefully becuase I have the same problem. No manner what I do, I just can't get those marines out of the shuttle. I prep a few marines for combat, when they are ready I send them on their way to a shuttle. I set 2 waypoints with the second one with orders to deploy. I make sure that my set point is in an area of a city where there are no building so that the shuttle will not have a problem landing. The same thing happens as what SteveM describes. It shows the shuttle landing then a quick dustoff back to the CC. I did read 7.19 in the book and believe I did everything correct. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

acintron

quote:

Originally posted by acintron:

Hello all,

I have been following this post carefully becuase I have the same problem. No manner what I do, I just can't get those marines out of the shuttle. I prep a few marines for combat, when they are ready I send them on their way to a shuttle. I set 2 waypoints with the second one with orders to deploy. I make sure that my set point is in an area of a city where there are no building so that the shuttle will not have a problem landing. The same thing happens as what SteveM describes. It shows the shuttle landing then a quick dustoff back to the CC. I did read 7.19 in the book and believe I did everything correct. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

acintron

I've given up trying, I'm missing something about setting teams possibly, no matter how I deploy marines to a shuttle they are listed as crew and in the launch part of tacops I never get a "deploy team" option.

Can't get a shuttle extraction either but no matter though, the teleport works fine for both, I can use that and get on with exploring other aspects of the game.

Life's too short and the game too big to worry about a minor problem when there are other techniques to use and the Sol system to explore.

For now, use the transporter for planetside troop deployment or man the shuttle yourself and manually deploy.

The waypoint deployment issue is being reviewed in Area 51.

Keep an eye on the VCF (you'll note that the issue is already listed there) for further developments.

[ 04-25-2003, 10:28 AM: Message edited by: Tyrn ]

quote:

Originally posted by Tyrn:

For now, use the transporter for planetside troop deployment or man the shuttle yourself and manually deploy.

Keep an eye on the
(you'll note that the issue is already listed there) for further developments.

Thanks, will do. Thee are plenty of other ways i can get them all killed.

• 8 months later...

quote:

Keep an eye on the VCF (you'll note that the issue is already listed there) for further developments.

Has anybody been able to get this to work yet? It was in the VCF 'Issues under investigation' for the longest time but has been removed with the latest patch 1.01.01 (12/12/03).At any rate I have been unable to get marines or anyone else to deploy from shuttles. I set waypoints in the normal manner,launch shuttle,the shuttle lands just fine,get the dustoff 5..4..3..2..1.. message,the shuttle takes off with RTB order but the marines are still on board.I have tried this with a variety of different personal with the same result.I have also increased the marines IQ to 100 with playmod but that doesn't seem to help.I can deploy space marines in space around stations with no problem, as well as deploy vehicles on ground with no problem.Anyway if anyone has figured this out I would appreciate a heads up.BTW I have read the manual,the addendum,the VCF,and the FAQ.

It was removed from the VCF because it worked fine when I tried it.

If the waypoint is on a relatively flat surface, the shuttle will land. Unless the shuttle actually lands and touches the terrain, it won't deploy anything.

SC - Thanks for your response.When I was doing

my tests I was careful to select flat terrain in

the tacops computer.In fact, several times I landed the Command Craft and checked the terrain before dispatching shuttles.Apparently I (we) are missing something.Possibly as the developer of the game you are doing something automatically that the rest of us are missing.Maybe sometime when you are not so busy you could give us a walk through.Thanks.

BTW come join the MP on the DreadX server.I am also working on a server but the computer I am using has somewhat marginal specs.

Just an obvious thing, but after you send the marines to the shuttles do you wait for them to get there before launching or do you just launch after the waypoints are down w/o checking to see that they made it into the shuttle?

quote:

Just an obvious thing, but after you send the marines to the shuttles do you wait for them to get there before launching or do you just launch after the waypoints are down w/o checking to see that they made it into the shuttle?

Thanks for your response.I definitely wait for the crew.I check by watching for the shuttle number icon to glow green.Then click on the icon and select crew and check that all the crew are onboard.Also if the TacOps computer is selected it tells in the waypoint information at the bottem of the screen.

quote:

Have you tried it from inside a mission zone? i.e. give the shuttle a waypoint that is not on terrain?

Anyway, give me all the steps you are using and I'll see if I spot any mistakes.

OK, here's what I am doing:

1. Start new roam scenario using defaults.

2. Enter tatical,prep marines 1-4,13-15.

3. Enter tacops,observe earth,select zone ter/mil,earth 288,mbase 202(nice flat area).

4. Set command craft waypoint just outside the MZ.

5. Set SC-1 waypoint inside MZ with orders 'deploy team'.

6. When marines ready send to SC-1.

7. When SC-1 full land command craft.

8. From tacops launch SC-1 and monitor progress.SC-1 definitely lands in MZ.Get the dustoff in 10..5.4.3.2.1. message,SC-1 takesoff with orders RTB.All personal are still on board.

9. Can deploy drone or vehicle no problem.

Repeat above in hostile MZ.Repeat above with marine AI 100.Repeat above with a variety of personal.Same result.

Be glad to try any suggestions.

Thanks.

I was able to reproduce this on one machine. It seems to be a timing issue (depending on the speed of the machine). When the shuttle lands, its not firing the event which triggers the personnel deployment.

I am moving this topic to the tech support forum.

Should have a fix later this month. Until then, use the transporters for troop deployment.

• 3 months later...
Guest Blond_Knight

I know you've been busy with UC, and your continued support of BCMG is very much appreciated. However Ive patched up to the 1.05 and cant get the troop deployment from shuttles to work. Ive never had a problem deploying them in UC so I know its not a 'fat fingered Commander issue'.

If you could take a look at it when you get a chance Derek, Id be happier than an Insurgent at sunrise on Procon.

quote:

Originally posted by Blond_Knight:

However Ive patched up to the 1.05 and cant get the troop deployment from shuttles to work. Ive never had a problem deploying them in UC so I know its not a 'fat fingered Commander issue'.

UC uses a completely different method of deployment and dynamics.

I wasn't aware that there was anything wrong with it or it would be listed in the VCF. The last time I tried it, I got it to work just fine. If its a timing issue, there is nothing that I can do about it I don't think.

• 3 months later...

I have the same problem with deployment,and with some acm missions which according to my search in these forums no or very few people seem to have(I havent opened a detailed thread about this because if these issues were common they would be noticed easily so I thought this is another uncommon and irreproducable-like this deployment issue-problem but if Im wrong in making such assumptions just let me know ),I understand you cant help with things you cant reproduce but is there anything We can do?(I mean what could possibly be different between my system and the ones in which timing is Not an issue )

As I fear there might be such cases in other parts of the game that may hinder us to fully experiance the game.

Thank you.

[ 07-09-2004, 07:21 AM: Message edited by: Wolfheart ]