Misc Issues

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes, when I am in, say, tactical comp and want to access any other comp through the pull-down menu, there is a repetitive screeching sound when I place the mouse cursor over the drop-down menu. And no selection options appear. If I move the mouse around (away from the menu and back in), eventually (usually takes 2-3 times) the menu appears and the correct sound is played.

I am pretty sure it is due to my crappy sound card but I let you know nevertheless.

Specs:

Athlon Tbird @800

Asus A7V M/B

256 MB SDRAM @ 100MHz

Abit Siluro Geforce 2 MX/400 64Mb

SoundBlaster PCI 128 (ensoniq 1371 chipset, i think)

DirectX 8.1 (with sound acceleration set to basic)

I think I know what you're talking about. When your mouse is on the top bar, but not on the right section for the pulldown, there's this sound effect that is kind of a repetitive stuttering computer sound. It's just an effect. I think you just don't have the mouse pointer in the right place. Play with it a little.

It took me a while initially to figure out that it was supposed to make that noise.

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: Advil ]

quote:

Originally posted by treeder:

I just got the game and upgraded with the latest patch. I have noticed a crackling static sound that is constant in the background whenever i start the training mission. any ideas? I havn't tried any other game areas yet because i am a noobie.

Nothing to do with BCM. It uses standard Direct Sound. Get a better driver or use the tweaks in the FAQ.

Is there anyplace i can download the complete SoundBlaster Live! Platinum driver(s). On the creative web site they only have updates to the driver.

Edit: Just rembered my computer has onboard sound. That will have to do untill i get ahold of my Sound Blaster driver.

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Game_Ender ]

quote:

Originally posted by Game_Ender:

Is there anyplace i can download the complete SoundBlaster Live! Platinum driver(s). On the creative web site they only have updates to the driver.

Edit: Just rembered my computer has onboard sound. That will have to do untill i get ahold of my Sound Blaster driver.

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: Game_Ender ]

Creative does not let you donwload just the DRVs anymore. Something about the a new way of updating, you have to get a new CD from them. However, if you go to their Tech Support site here... (They dont advertise bout' it much)

http://www.americas.creative.com/support/

You can find them here... Just the DRVs... I think you can download the Software too... not sure... Possibly the Live!Ware... Adios

Whenever i start BCM, the sound works for about 5 seconds then when i do something that should cause a sound to be played, i.e. click on a pulldown menu, that sound repeats its self forever, and then when i exit BCM, my computers sound no longer works until i restart the computer.... HELP!!!

Your system info. Hardware/drivers, operating system, DX8 version, windows media player version, BCM and it's version. Come on. Get all that info together and put it in your system profile when you register the game and then post the link to that profile in your sig. How are we supposed to help you without all that information?

[ 12-08-2001: Message edited by: Soback ]

quote:

Originally posted by ACID_DRIP:

Ohh and also, i use a cable modem, and i just found out that when i run BCM and then exit, i guess it disables my network or something becuase i have no online capabilities until i restart the computer, thanks

Thats just ludicrous. BCM doesn't do ANYTHING with your cable connection. Are you mad?

Also, you have a POS sound card on your rig, so, unless you know how to configure it and have their latest drivers, you're on your own. You should also read the FAQ in the sound section. Read it twice.

My best advice too everyone make sure your next sound card is not Creative Soundblaser anything. Exspecially if you have VIA chipsets. Two years now and they have not fixed any of the issues with VIA and Soundblaster 5.1 issues.

Turtle Beach is the best card for AMD right now.

Also go Dxdiag and turn down your sound acceleration too standard should help.

For some reason I get all sounds except for the com chatter on my new rig.

I have done the following:

Direct X 8.1

Latest WinXP updates.

Latest Dell audio drivers for TBSC. (My audio card is not off the shelf retail, it came with the system)

I tinkered with all settings and lowered acceleration one notch. I also went to TBeach's site and they said to dl Dell's drivers. Should I have used the TB one instead?

I have the setting on two speaker system and have tried various volume settings, and used all ports in the back of the machine.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

No Luck again.

Not sure what to do , went through all the steps again. Re installed with both patches. No dice. Funny how it (the sound) worked fine on my wife's laptop. The rest of the Game runs extremley well. Other than the background chatter missing I am very pleased.

Maybe next driver/winxp update will fix it.

Cheers

I was using BCM with the first patch on my wifes laptop which did not meet your specs so I wasn't too concerned about testing the second patch on an inferior system. The sound was fine with the first patch on her laptop, including the crew chatter.

When I got my new system I installed BCM on my new machine and then d/l the 2nd patch. The game was smokin' but I noticed I was unable to get the crew chatter. So last night I again took everything off and started from scratch. I found a copy of the first patch on gamespot and tried BCM with it just to check, but still no chatter. So I removed the whole thing again , reinstalled BCM, Patch 2 and sound card drivers. Still no go. Tinkered with acceleration, ports, headphones, speaker setups, etc.

I am getting awesome frame rates though. I don't know if its because my hard drive is uncluttered and new but when I was just cruising sround with basic traffic I was briefly getting 132FPS around Mars and consistently 117 fps.

I noticed TB has another unofficial patch on their site for the SCruz. Not being a techie I am a little tentative to d/l it until dell releases their version. Unless you recommend it. I assume Dell will follow shortly with an approved one. I hope that will work, I really like the chatter aspect for atmosphere.

I even tried cranking up the volume on all system parts, I got great engine hum and almost blew the eyebrows off my forehead when I fired the IOD, but no chatter.

Cheers

Hi

I noticed having no sound when firing a weapon in the Foreward view mode (F1). Strangely all sounds work perfectly fine when swichting to Tactical view (F9). Furthermore, I cannot see the PAD firing in the Foreward view mode, whereas in the Tactical view I don't have any graphical problems. I've tried several resultion modes and installed the latest patch for my Santa Cruz card. Can you please help me? Thanks.