What is that

Guest Private Cyberoket

Guest Private Cyberoket

Ok there's this mild distorted sound that sometimes cuts in over the music, nothing magor, doesn't affect play or sound effects. But it is anoying. (since I'm a muso) Anyone else get this?

Also having some load problems where sound loops 2 seconds after succesfull load.

I've tried most sugested fixes(to the load prob) but I've included syst specs now so maby that will help

Hooooray he figured it out

Guest Private Cyberoket

I'm running the sound into a hi fi system.

Speaker output, split to left right stereo, into hi fi= BIG...BIG...SOUND.

By the way it's BCM, and it does'nt hapen on other games.

I used to have the same problem before I upgraded my Gforce2 to my Radeon 9100. The problem is cause by the Gforce trying to hog the cpu cycles for itself. When I had that card I got a utility that gave my sound card a higher priority in the system that minimized the problem, but it never completely went away. Any time that I was doing something that was processor intesive, it got really bad. After I upgraded to the Radeon though, no more sound problems!

Guest Private Cyberoket

So It looks like I have to upgrade my GF2 to GF4 or Radeon 9100, plus Upgrade 256mb ram to 512mb, to get Prob free gaming.

If this is going to work, then I will upgrade.

I,m still having CTD, or freezing 2-3 sec after successfull load. If it's not one it's the other.

I just wonder if anyone with a similar system has "no" hassles.

ffrruussttrraatteedd!!!!!! I hate not being able to play this ggggaaaammmmeeee!!!!!!

I think my Problem is I'm not just new to BC I'm pretty new to PCs. I've been a gamer all my life, just mainly consoles,(everyone goes eeeekkkk!!!)

I don't know what the command line peramiter is.

How do I type "-x0" before the command line peramiter in the short cut. To disable some.... sound...thing.

If I delete all my saves and start again,and never quick save(i only did 2-3 quick saves and i full saved 5-10 times since any quick save) will that help or fix load probs. I think not because it "successfully loads" every time then freezes.

At present the PC i'm running BCM on does'nt have net access so I can't copy save, uninstall re-install, replace save because I can't re install patch 1.8

I run DXDIAG and it said my driver was(see sys profile) I'm sure i instaled the latest drivers. Would that be updated in DXDIAG? (This is where i got my system info from)

I hope someone out there in the far corners of the galaxy intercepts this sos and sends a shuttle.

I should stop rambling now

Maby the simple answer is "just upgrade"

[ 05-07-2003, 01:33 AM: Message edited by: Private Cyberoket ]

quote:

How do I type "-x0" before the command line peramiter in the short cut. To disable some.... sound...thing.

Your shortcut should look something like this:

"C:Program FilesDreamCatcher3000ADBattlecruiser Millennium Goldbcm.exe" -x0

quote:

Originally posted by Private Cyberoket:

I,m still having CTD, or freezing 2-3 sec after successfull load. If it's not one it's the other.

I just wonder if anyone with a similar system has "no" hassles.

You may want to run DXDIAG and go to the Sound TAB, move the Hardware Acceleration slider 1 notch to the left. Right click on your desktop, go to advanced settings and do the same for your video card. This should end the problems with the CTD and freezing. As for the sound problems, with a 1.7Ghz machine, really you shouldn't have that problem, the reason I was having that problem is because I have an 800Mhz Duron, which doesn't have enough CPU cycles to cover what Nvidia wanted plus what my sound card wanted, which is why I upgraded to the Radeon 9100. (since it has a much lower CPU utilization than Nvidia products). To be honest though, the main reason I upgraded was to get the T&L so I could run BF1942 and as a side bonus, I got much better performance on every other game that I have.... Freelancer, Wolfstein 3D, the EVE Beta, you name it.

Plus, now I'm able to run BCMG in a Window, which gave me problems before. It's so cool, I'm running it right now in a 1024X768 Window, while my desktop is set to 1152X864!

Guest Private Cyberoket

Thanks, Maby is't a certain combination of those fixes, I'll keep trying.

I dont mean to go off topic here.....well I do BUT IT'S IMPORTANT. I need to know if turning your PC off at the power, without shuting down damages the PC at all.

I may be doing this a bit.

By the way I play BF1942 with 145% players, no slow down, no probs. Perhaps this says my PC should play BCM fine.

Thanks again for your help guys I'll have this sorted soon.

TTTHHHHEEEENNNN YYYOOOUUU WWWIIILLLL AAAAAALLLLLLL FFFFAAAACCCCEEEE CCCEEERRRTTTAAAIIN AANNNIIIAALLLAAATTIION WWWWWRRRRRRAAAAAHHHAAAHHHAAAHHHAAAHHHA!!!!!!!!......chhe hm.. sorry.

[ 05-07-2003, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Private Cyberoket ]

quote:

I need to know if turning your PC off at the power, without shuting down damages the PC at all.

Yes, all versions of Windows after Windows 3.1, including Win95, 98, ME, 2K & XP, REQUIRE that you shut down using the shutdown command in the Start Menu. Otherwise, not only does it NOT erase what's in the swapfile, but it also may cause corruption of system level files. Especially on computers that don't have over a Gig of RAM, since some of the system files are almost alway stored on the swap file.

P.S. you're right, about BF1942, now that I think about it I had upgraded my RADEON 7000 to a Gforce2 to get T&L, Game played great, but that's when I started having that Sound skipping problem on Freelancer and BCM, so I took the card back and exchanged it for the Radeon 9100.

Guest Private Cyberoket

quote:

Originally posted by Darkling:

quote:

I need to know if turning your PC off at the power, without shuting down damages the PC at all.

Yes, all versions of Windows after Windows 3.1, including Win95, 98, ME, 2K & XP, REQUIRE that you shut down using the shutdown command in the Start Menu. Otherwise, not only does it NOT erase what's in the swapfile, but it also may cause corruption of system level files.

Ahh this might be a cause to the loading problem, because quite often (recently) I've had to turn off power without shuting down.(I am aware of the return to windows button but does'nt always work).

quote:

quote:

Yes, all versions of Windows after Windows 3.1, including Win95, 98, ME, 2K & XP, REQUIRE that you shut down using the shutdown command in the Start Menu. Otherwise, not only does it NOT erase what's in the swapfile, but it also may cause corruption of system level files. Especially on computers that don't have over a Gig of RAM, since some of the system files are almost alway stored on the swap file.

P.S. you're right, about BF1942, now that I think about it I had upgraded my RADEON 7000 to a Gforce2 to get T&L, Game played great, but that's when I started having that Sound skipping problem on Freelancer and BCM, so I took the card back and exchanged it for the Radeon 9100.

According to information I have about Windows 2000 and Windows XP, the clearing of the swap file must be enabled in the registry--it is not the default. I have tried this, and the amount of time to clear out the swap file is very, very long. I finally disabled it, it was taking nearly 3-5 minutes to 'clear' the swapfile, at that time approximately 512 MB fixed.

I now have a GB of RAM, and other than the nescessary WindowsXP demands, my swap file is RARELY used by programs.

Were it not for the OS requiring it, I wouldnt have one at all.

I have no knowledge if they have changed this with the Service Pack, but the swap file is not purged on shutdown, proper shutdown (not for clearing swapfiles, for saving Windows information, if I am not mistaken) or not.

Also, every time the power goes out, my computer powers back up just fine--obviously, in that case, there was not shutdown routine. I have corrupted the boot sector during BOOT UP, rendering the system inoperable until I could get to safe mode and select a restore point--I hit the reset key in the middle of a reboot (long story, concerns the lame monitor I have....).

If I am mistaken, please correct me, because I currently have a 2.5 GB swapfile, fixed, and use about 20 MB of it:)

Smokin Bob

quote:

Originally posted by rvs:

The OS doesn't require it. If you right click on "My Computer" and go to Properties and then the Advanced Tab, then Performace Options, you can change your swap file to 0. Though this is only recommended if you have a Gig of RAM or more.

Actually, I'm lying, you can set it to a minimum of 2 or you can click on a button to turn it of completely

[ 05-08-2003, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: Darkling ]

quote:

quote:

The OS doesn't require it. If you right click on "My Computer" and go to Properties and then the Advanced Tab, then Performace Options, you can change your swap file to 0. Though this is only recommended if you have a Gig of RAM or more.

Actually, I'm lying, you can set it to a minimum of 2

Thanks for the reply, I had been informed by an XP 'guru' (and personal research) that a minimal swap was required, but I never got a decent reason. But this was before (about the time XP released) huge amounts of RAM were commonplace.

I currently have the Performance Counters disabled, but may re-enable them to monitor what, if any, swapfile usage is actually occuring.

I have actually run without one, but that was on a Win98 box with the max 512MB RAM installed.

As far as the sound issues in the first post, I have seen on some racing forums many guys reduce hardware acceleration of the soundcard by one click, sometimes they even do it to the video card, with mixed results. I dont think it is a cure, but something to try.

Thanks again!

Smokin Bob

quote:

I had been informed by an XP 'guru' (and personal research) that a minimal swap was required, but I never got a decent reason.

I've met a lot of supposed "Gurus" that are full of it. Example; at work, I have a server with 4 Gigs of RAM on it, now Windows Standard server cannot address more than 4 gigs of RAM so the page file is SUPPOSED to be turned off, and a "supposed" Windows expert told my boss that it should be turned on and set to 4095 (4Gigs) ! So taking this guys advice my boss told me to turned it on, and we ended up with a major slowdown on the system. Now, I don't have my MCSE yet, but I've been working on computers for 20 years so when these guys that have their "Paper" MCSE certification try to tell me something, I take it with a grain of salt. I don't think I've met a single one with more experience than me on that subject.

Guest Private Cyberoket

Glad we sorted that out Either way My load Problems are definatly fixed by shutting down properly waiting, and re-booting. Plus I added the -x0 command to shortcut, and that all instantly worked. I also reset all my sound and hardware nothes back we're they were (full) and it runs pretty smooth. Problem solved.

*** the load prob resurfaced but is now totaly fixed by deleting the "BCconfig" file in the BCM folder after avery save and exit.

Maby SC can shine some light on the swapfile thing.

Props to Darkling, Spindoktor and rvs.

[ 06-01-2003, 12:05 AM: Message edited by: Private Cyberoket ]

a couple of notes:

1)For virtual-memory support, Windows 2000 creates one paging file called Pagefile.sys on the disk or volume on which the operating system is installed. The default size is equal to 1.5 times the amount of physical memory.

2)Setting the paging file's initial size and maximum size to the same value increases efficiency because the operating system does not need to expand the file during processing. Setting different values for initial and maximum size can contribute to disk fragmentation.

3)If you are working in an enterprise environment using the 4-GB RAM Tuning (4GT) option and have a system with more than 4 GB of physical memory, you might want to consider changing the default size of your paging file(make it smaller)see #1.

4)However, a smaller paging size affects the size of total committed memory for applications. For best results, review these settings for specific applications and adjust accordingly.

quote:

Thanks I'll try that to. Plus regular de-frag.

I forgot to mention how I solved my 'crackling' once and for all--I went to the Windows Control Panel, and in there selected the sound devices controller, Sound and Multimedia, I think, I am on a 2K box at the moment, but you will see it. I ended up putting the Windows volume to 50%, from the 100% it was at.

I have to turn the speakers up a little more, but the sound is definitely 'cleaner' with less snap, crackle and pop.

Your mileage may vary, I am sorry I forgot to post this yesterday....stupid noobies:)

Smokin Bob

quote:

Originally posted by GhengisX:

If you are working in an enterprise environment using the 4-GB RAM Tuning (4GT) option and have a system with more than 4 GB of physical memory, you might want to consider changing the default size of your paging file(make it smaller)see #1.

4)However, a smaller paging size affects the size of total committed memory for applications. For best results, review these settings for specific applications and adjust accordingly.

Unless you are using Windows Advanced Server, Win2K & WinXP can ONLY address 4 Gigs of RAM, so if you either use more RAM that 4 Gigs OR turn the swap file on, to even the smallest setting, you will experience a slowdown on the system, so it's best to keep it off if you do have 4Gigs of RAM. Even in Windows Advanced Server, you can only address up to 8Gigs of RAM IF you have either an Intel PAE processor or an AMD Dual Processor setup. Of course if you go with an AMD Opteron Processor, which is a 64-Bit processor, that's different. As long as you are running Windows 2003 for the Opteron, that sucker can address up to 256 TERABYTES!, then you can set the swap file as Big as you want, and stuff as much memory as you want into the beast.

Guest Private Cyberoket

Hey. All the feedback on this has been great. Although i had the game running pretty well for a total of 2 or 3 days I've had to put my tower in for repair. After reciving the message "Hardware malfunction, system failure, call vendor for support." two or three times. Plus occasional CDT.

I just want this game running smooth. It's under waranty so it should come back ready to rock. I'll let you all know how it goes.

PS.. I don't know how to survive the next two weeks with no BCM. Maby it will just fuel my hunger "to secure the galaxy!!" anyway thanks for the support. I'll be back soon.

quote:

Hey. All the feedback on this has been great. Although i had the game running pretty well for a total of 2 or 3 days I've had to put my tower in for repair. After reciving the message "Hardware malfunction, system failure, call vendor for support." two or three times. Plus occasional CDT.

I just want this game running smooth. It's under waranty so it should come back ready to rock. I'll let you all know how it goes.

PS.. I don't know how to survive the next two weeks with no BCM. Maby it will just fuel my hunger "to secure the galaxy!!" anyway thanks for the support. I'll be back soon.

I hope they get your system running again!! I am new to the BattleCruiser series, but I can't imagine how I made it all these years without it!!

I dont know if its the market I live in (Northern Michigan, lower peninsula) or what, but so many great sims and games never make it to the local Best Buy, Software ETC (They had 2 copies of BattleCruiser Millenium Gold on the shelf, I hope there was more in the back...) or my local computer dealer.

It is too bad, I am missing out I sure am glad I found it when I did, I didnt even think twice about buying it, and now that I have it, I think it is the best space simulator I have ever played.

Masterpiece.

Well, lets hope your rig is back sooner than planned so you can get back at it! I am also interested to know, if possible, what was causing your sound issues.

Smokin Bob

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Private Cyberoket

Ohh yeah, the sound distortion was caused by the system volume being on full.(Doh I'll give myself an uppercut)I'm a muso I should have known that.

I droped it to half and its fine now, thanks rvs.