Misc Issues

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try looking around, just because the best drivers I could find for my Diamond was something that "supported" (sorta) DX 8.0 doesn't mean there isn't something better for your card. Who knows, you might find something. Go to the official site for your card manufacturer, and if you don't find anything there then look through the archives for newer drivers that are just generic for the chipset and not your card in particular. That might help.

Ok. I reinstalled DirectX 8.1, Windows Media Player 7.1 and then the game (and the patch). I still get the "Failed(0x80004002) to set message drain..." as I described above. Again, this is on Windows 98.

Missing the intro isn't a big deal, but I'd like to see the blackholes and explosions people have mentioned.

Any other suggestions? Any other info I can supply?

quote:

Missing the intro isn't a big deal, but I'd like to see the blackholes and explosions people have mentioned.

I think the flux field near Mars leads to a Black Hole...enjoy the view for about 10 seconds

My problem hasn't gotten any better, and in fact it's gotten worse. I thought I remembered reading something in the faq about un-checking an option in the video card settings that says,"Adjust Z-buffer if depth unequal" or something similar. I un-checked that in my Nvidia card settings, but now, whenever I click "system" in the config menu, the game freezes and I have to restart my comp! It still does that even AFTER I re-checked "Adjust Z-Buffer if depth unequal". After I post this, I may re-install BCM to see if that helps.

quote:

Originally posted by R_wilco:

I thought I remembered reading something in the faq about un-checking an option in the video card settings that says,"Adjust Z-buffer if depth unequal" or something similar. I un-checked that in my Nvidia card settings, but now, whenever I click "system" in the config menu, the game freezes and I have to restart my comp! It still does that even AFTER I re-checked "Adjust Z-Buffer if depth unequal". After I post this, I may re-install BCM to see if that helps.

1. Read the FAQ again. S_L_O_W_L_Y this time

2. I don't know what driver you are using, but as far as I'm aware, nVidia have removed that option from their newer drivers

Guest dnoyeB!

quote:

Originally posted by DeBoNed:

I don't know if this is related to my v-card. When in space, looking from my bridgeviewer, I keep seeing explosions, like someone is shooting flack or fireworks. It happens every two to three seconds. Does anyone know if this is some part of the game I am missing or is it a video glitch?

I got those too while towing a ship. I don't know why because I never used the transporter before. And after I docket at the station I was not offered to collect the ship from the station. Nor did the intruders on my ship get captured by the station. My marines were still hunting them down. Then When I tried to leave the station I got CTDed.

I havent played since hoping that the next patch will address this one.

quote:

Originally posted by R_wilco:

I think the flux field near Mars leads to a Black Hole...enjoy the view for about 10 seconds

I meant that I doubted I would be able to see them at all sense my real media player setup doesn't seem to be working with BCM.

Since my last post I updated my Win98 with the latest patches from microsoft's site and reinstalled the game and real media player once more making sure there was nothing left behind from previous install in the filesystem. But I still get the same error.

quote:

Originally posted by dnoyeB!:

I got those too while towing a ship. I don't know why because I never used the transporter before. And after I docket at the station I was not offered to collect the ship from the station. Nor did the intruders on my ship get captured by the station. My marines were still hunting them down. Then When I tried to leave the station I got CTDed.

I havent played since hoping that the next patch will address this one.

I don't see anything that needs addressing in the next patch.

Remember: if I can't reproduce it. I can't fix it. No matter how loud one yells, or how many times you post about it.

Hey, picked up the game a little while ago and been going through some hopps but here I am and here it is; whenever I start the game it loads fine goes to the menu but whenever I hit new or instant action it closes with no error message and if I go to config or any menu option the whole screen picture starts buzzing up and down just generally looks messed up. I do use a Voodoo 5500 and I am aware of the inherant problems but other V5 users seem to get a little farther along than me. To add to the problem I cant seem to get my 3dfx tools to leave my registry, the files are gone but the new one wont install 'cause it says the old one needs to be uninstalled first. I found my original driver disk and when I try to install them again it says the laguage of the installer isn't supported on my system. So I can't turn off any of the V5 features that might be causing the problem and I cant seem to find any tech support from 3dfx or anyone at Voodoo Files. So any ideas at all would be great, Thanks.

Get yourself a decent Registry Cleaner and clean up your registry.

Read the BCM FAQ.

Pay particuliar attention to the 3dFx entries.

Download and Install Dx8.1

Check with the x3dFx website for drivers. I hear that they released some drivers that support Dx8.x.

You might try searching through this forum for some answers or pointers.

Make sure that you register your copy of BCM. Failure to comply will result in no tech support or access to the forum.

Last but not least, post your system specifications the next time you request tech support.

TTFN

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: Gallion ]

Alright, I think I've found what possibly maybe might be a bug. Just to get a few things out of the way...

First I thought it might be a heat/overclocking issue. So I set my cpu and video card back to the stock frequencies. The other thing that I'm thinking is that it might be related to the beta 22.80 Detonator XP drivers I'm using. I'm reluctant to uninstall them just for BCM (and for a relatively minor problem) since they've provided a fair performance boost across the board for me. Now, here's my problem...

Occasionally moons (only moons, never planets) will appear as un-textured, opaque (although when extremely close to them they're sometimes translucent) circles. To be honest, there hasn't been a single time I've played where I haven't seen this happen. There also doesn't seem to be any specific case where it happens. I might be approaching a moon and looking at it from a certain angle and it'll appear fully textured and perfect. Then I'll move the joystick a hair and the view will barely shift at all when suddenly the planet is just a looming gray circle.

At distances it's not too serious, but when I'm very close to the moons it causes problems. I'll turn slightly and the moon's entire position will appear to shift, filling my view with a huge, semi-opaque grayish white circle.

I have screenshots showing this if you need to see them. I generally took two shots in each case, one when the planet was fully textured and one that was clearly taken after I moved the viewpoint just a tiny bit.

So any idea what's going on? Is this some sort of odd "feature" I'm unaware of? A known problem? Any help would be appreciated, because it really causes a problem when I'm caught in a fight near a moon.

(Btw, all of my system specs are in my profile linked below - I've had the problem with both the overclocked "normal" settings for my computer and with the stock settings... and in neither case was my video card or cpu overheating or even running hot enough to cause concern)

quote:

Originally posted by Simparadox:

Alright, I think I've found what possibly maybe
might
be a bug. Just to get a few things out of the way...

So any idea what's going on? Is this some sort of odd "feature" I'm unaware of? A known problem? Any help would be appreciated, because it really causes a problem when I'm caught in a fight near a moon.

It is a driver issue and not a bug in BCM

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Stop overclocking your card might be a start.

I did (I thought I put that in the original post? Maybe I forgot...). I experienced the problem at stock frequencies and my "normal" (ie, overclocked) frequencies.

EDIT/UPDATE: I just tried running the game under Windows 2000 (I dual boot on this machine, but most of the time I run games under 98SE) and it seems to have solved all of the wierd little issues I was having (including an odd sound glitch that wasn't really important enough to mention). Thanks anyway, sorry to bother you about that.

[ 12-02-2001: Message edited by: Simparadox ]

Gents,

I wonder if you can help me with a fix for this:

1/ I'm experiencing a lot of texture searing, with that I mean big jagged edges along the inner edges of objects (buildings, planes...).

2/ Water on planets is really strange: it doesn't move! Flying over coast lines is weird, the coast moves, but the water looks like it's anchored 'under' the land.

3/ Bonus question: is there a way to increase the view distance when on planets?

Info:

Tried running at 1152*864 and 1024*768

Tried running at 16bit and 32bit

Tried switching off 4xAGP

Tried switching off mipmapping

Tried with and without antialiasing

Specs:

Athlon Tbird 1 Ghz

384 MB Ram

GForce 2 GTS 32Mb

Detonator drivers 23.11

Regards

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: Count_Sessine ]

Some time ago, I could not get the Demo to work.

I had a Quadro 2 Pro based vid card and the SC said that he did not have a card of that type and couldn't test it, but the code in the shipping BCM was much newer and should work.

This post is basically to say that everything works and I have had no problems with video.

I thought I should let anyone who is thinking of using a machine with a similar card know that it rocks.

Cheers

Tim

quote:

Originally posted by Count_Sessine:

Gents,

I wonder if you can help me with a fix for this:

2/ Water on planets is really strange: it doesn't move! Flying over coast lines is weird, the coast moves, but the water looks like it's anchored 'under' the land.

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: Count_Sessine ]

Personally, I think the water effect you're talking about is cool. It actually looks deeper than the land, rather than being just a different colour than the land, which I think might have been the intent.

quote:

Originally posted by Blerm:

Personally, I think the water effect you're talking about is cool. It actually looks
deeper
than the land, rather than being just a different colour than the land, which I think might have been the intent.

Good perspective, hehe. In any case it's a very minor issue.

quote:

Originally posted by Count_Sessine:

Gents,

1/ I'm experiencing a lot of texture searing, with that I mean big jagged edges along the inner edges of objects (buildings, planes...).

Ok, I found a solution to the problem: it's a driver problem. I tried installing Det 22.80 and they work, no jagged edges, but with a variable framerate hit. Next I'll (re) try the 21.83 drivers.