Diamond Viper II z200

Soback

Ok, I got this card from a buddy instead of buying GF3 (waiting for it to drop a little). So I was wondering how do I know if it supports DX8 or not. I went on their official website, downloaded the latest drivers (95103), but all it talks about is DX7. So the reason I am concerned is I played some of my other games on it and some graphics look better then they did on voodoo3 but some look a little worse, overall I would say it has improved, but since some things have gone wrong (nothing major, just some graphical glitches here and there) I was wondering how this card would work with BCM. Also can somone explain to me how the whole chipset, manufacturer video card name works. I mean I went to the store and saw GF3 card, different manufacturers, and the whole chipset thing like Nvidia and then all the different names under that chipset that I am getting confused. Anyway, my questions are does anyone know if this card supports DX8, and what chipset is it?

quote:

I went on their official website, downloaded the latest drivers (95103), but all it talks about is DX7.

Therein lies the root of ye peril - IOW ye most likely up the preverbial creek without the paddle. Ye should've emptied the piggy and procured yeself a GF3 v-card.

TTFN

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

Mine is Viper z200 with 32mb. Anyone can answer my questions?

Nobody in the Beta has that card. And if you don't have DX8 drivers, you're screwed.

Besides why don't you run the E2 demo and see for yourself, instead of wasting your time?

And why don't you go to the diamondmm.com website?

[ 10-21-2001: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

I did go to www.diamondmm.com website. That's where I got those latest 95103 drivers. The readme file for those drivers has no mention of DX8. Then I e-mailed the Diamond support with the questoin if my card supports Dx8 or not, haven't gotten an answer though. So I thought I would come here, maybe get an answer quicker. Anyway, since nobody in the beta has that card I will post the anwer when I get the e-mailed back from Diamond support. That way all the other people who might have the same card will know if it supports Dx8 or not. If it doesn't then I guess I will have to get GF3 before the price drops. Either way thanks for all the replies.

Another question. If I play EP2 and this card doesn't support dx8, is it not going to start at all or what would the indication be? Some graphical glitches or just the same anomalies as with voodoo3?

Ok, haven't received a reply from diamond yet (will give them another day), but downloded the demo.

Results:

Looks phenomenal, didn't encounter any of the artifacts like in the screenshots for voodoo cards (the planet looks like broken glass close up, or first person anomalies). Here's the thing though, the screen flashes like crazy which makes it really hard on the eyes, and also I can't see the text when I go into the config (all I can see is the arrows to switch choices and all the buttons on the bottom), or in the instant action menu or the briefing either. I tried playing around with my screen refresh, and 3d card settings, but no luck. Somehow I don't think it will be encountered in the full game because I have never seen that before in anything else and demos are usually quircky anyway.

Will update on DX8 support when I get the reply from Diamond.

Let's explain it this way.

Unfortunately, your card (Viper II) is in game terms very old now, and is probably not going to be supported by the SC (unless he says so, which his previous post pretty much answers) so you have to assume that the final product may run the same way as demo2 will for you. In other words, don't blame us if you preorder it and it doesn't work.

Though you probably already know this, here is the page for your latest drivers: http://www.diamondmm.com/default.asp?menu=...u=Legacy_Graphi cs&item=drivers&product=Viper_II

and the latest BIOS for that card: http://www.diamondmm.com/default.asp?menu=...egacy_Graphics& item=bios&product=Viper_II

Both havn't been updated for a long time.

Even if the card "supports" DX8, it may not support it well.

Bottom line: It's a trial and error situation for you.

If you can, it's time to consider a video card upgrade. Something with an NVidia MX400 chipset minimum, or maybe a Geforce2 Pro or Geforce2 TI?

UPDATE: You mentioned earlier that you were confused by the NVidia product line. Yep, there's a lot of cards. Let me break them down roughly by performance. I am omitting some cards that just aren't around anymore:

TNT2 M64

GF2 MX 200

GF2 MX

GF2 MX 400

GF2 GTS

GF2 Pro

GF2 Ultra

GF2 TI

GF3 TI 200

GF3

GF3 TI 500

For cost/performance I like the

GF2 Pro 64MB (or the new GF2 TI).

Good luck.

[ 10-23-2001: Message edited by: Advil ]

Hey, thanks. Got a little story here.

I was reading the manual for this card and discovered that it can be set to 4x agp if the motherboard supports it (which mine does). So I turned off my computer, opened it up, pulled the power cord and here it starts.

Instead of removing the card I thought I can set the jumper cables with the card still attached. So with a little room between the 3d card and the modem card I reached in there and almoust got to the jumpers when my hand touched the modem, ZZZZAP. After a couple of loud obsenities I decided it would be better to go the proper way and remove the card. So I got a screwdriver and started unscrewing. Once the bolt was unscrewed and I was about to pull it, the bolt slipped and fell onto the motherboard between the modem and the 3d card. (more loud obsenities). Now being smarter (I try to learn from previous mistakes) I decided not to reach in there with my hand but instead got some tweezers and grabbed the bolt with them. Then when I took the bolt from the tweezers with my fingers I got burned. SHHHHHH AAAAAAAAh. Damn, more loud obsenities (the bolt was probably shorting out some connection on the mb and got heated up). By that time I am thinking that my modem is wasted and my mb is toast. So I pull the damn card out of the socket, set the jumpers and try to put the card back in. Sounds easy, but by that time I am all shaking, have partial feeling of my left hand after being shocked and burned and can barely set the card straight. About 1 minute later I got it in line but the damn thing just wont go in. Well, I huffed and I puffed but now it's in there. Then I closed up the case, reatached the power cable and fliped the switch. Oh was I happy when I saw it boot up. For those who are wondering, mb = ok, modem = well I am here to type this aren't I. End experience - next time wear rubber gloves and do everything the proper way from the begining. My little finger is still numb so go ahead laugh it off.

Does the modem rely on an independant power source? Cause if not I don't know where the power surges could have come from...

I remember a not-so-friend of mine who said having fun playing with a screwdriver in his computer making sparks... he thought it was funnny...

And then he wondered why he was always having problems with that computer...

No, there is no other power cord attached to the modem, and I pulled the main power chord in the computer. Maybe it just takes a while for the power to drain from the unit, don't know, but it was pretty strong.

My 3rd and finall e-mail to Diamond.

"I have send you 2 previous e-mails and have received no reply (thank you for you great customer cervice). This is my 3rd e-mail regarding the question of Diamond Viper II z200 support for DX 8. Well I have found out that it does not support DX8 by playing a game that utilizes it, so I will be buying a new 3d card and was thinking of sticking with the company of my last card (Diamond) but seeing your "fast and acurate" customer cervice I think I will go with Nvidia. Thank you, have a nice day"

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

No, there is no other power cord attached to the modem, and I pulled the main power chord in the computer. Maybe it just takes a while for the power to drain from the unit, don't know, but it was pretty strong.

I've never managed to get a shock from a PC, got a lovely one off a laserjet printer though forgot to plug the damn thing out and put a screwdriver to the fuser, It tickled more than hurt. I do know someone who put a plugged in power lead in his mouth though,the resulting shock blew him accross the room.

He got a shock from the modem in the computer. I bet he had the modem plugged into the phone line. There is a small current flowing trough a phone line. From my own experience ( stripping line for a new phone box with my teeth ) it will give you a small enough shock to wake you up. I even burnt up a modem with a phone line. Got my money back on that one. When working on a computer always pull ALL cords connected to a computer. Also make sure you ground yourself.

Yes, it was connected to the phoneline, that was probably it, but damn it was strong, not like a tickle but it actually BUZZED me. Never would have thought that you have that much curent in a phone line.

Where I live the phone company runs their system using DC not AC. They use AC to charge up the batteries. Being a small town they are not pumping much power trough their system. Where you live I bet they are pumping a good amount of power.

Yeah, well ok, lets not drag this out and keep it on track.

Anyway, end result if anyone has the same card and does a search for it.

Diamond Viper II z200 does not support DX8. Diamond customer support is non existent (been almoust a week and no reply to any of the e-mails). And basically I am left with a card which is 2 years old, has 32 mb memory but is useless (the only good part is I didn't pay for it, a friend lend it to me). So if you have this card then upgrade it to something else, and remember to choose a company that has customer support because in the end that's what really counts because even if they mess up and you catch it they will fix it. My recomendation is GeForce 2 which is relativly cheap right (ASUS GF2 is $120) now and Nvidia is famous for it's good drivers and customer support, or if you have a little extra cash or would like the most bang for your buck get a GeForce 3 (you can get a good one from ASUS for $230).

http://store.yahoo.com/upsource/video-cards.html

A refrence site where you can find some good stuff and get the idea on the prices.