Problem with video codec

orb_505

I have recently (yesterday) bought BCM Gold and after installing and running I get the following message dialog before the initial BC3000 video.

quote:

Failed(0x80004002) to set message drain for D:Battlecruiser Millennium Goldgfxavidclogo.avi. This sample is designed to play videos, but the file selected has no video component.

After pressing OK the BC3000 video plays and the game starts.

When in the game if I click on a contact in the lower left display then the game minimzes and claims I need to contact Indeo for play back drivers. I can close this dialog and return to the game but clicking a contact for a second time closes the game completely.

I have the following:

DirectX 9

Win Media PLayer 9

Win XP Pro (with all latest patches)

GeForce 4 Ti 4200 64 Meg

AMD 2200 XP CPU

Any help welcome.

Regards

Mark

Topic changed, post reformatted and moved. Damn n00bs.

[ 05-22-2003, 06:34 PM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by orb_505:

I have the following:

DirectX 9

Win Media PLayer 9

Win XP Pro (with all latest patches)

GeForce 4 Ti 4200 64 Meg

AMD 2200 XP CPU

WARNING! Semi-canned greeting follows:

Greetings, welcome to the forums. I'm Tyrn, one of those annoying oldie, moldy types here on the forums. Make sure you read about required profiles in signatures. Another must read is the welcome message from Derek Smart.

Hints to having your game related questions answered:

If you have game related questions, please make use of the forum search tool (top right of the screen) and review the game documents first. Having said that, don't think that we don't like to answer questions around here, we just like dealing with people who think for themselves better. Of course, if you can't find an answer then please ask away.

Spndoktor is right on the money with his reply.

Above all, have a great time with The Game and welcome aboard!

WARNING SEMI-CANNED REPLY IN RETURN

Thanks for the help guys. BTW I did search the forums first :-)

Granted no-one has to feel obligated to answer any questions by myself or anyone else. I'm just grateful that you are not such a person :-)

Happy trails!

Mark

Hopefully the FAQ will sove the problem (does 99.1% of the time, rest is probalby user error)

Welcome to the forums, Read The Fine Manual, and enjoy the ride.

Spindoktor has the idea, but no help, nonetheless.

It's the issue having to do with the codec that the thing's encoded in, when you have the Windows XP Service Pack 1. It's the Intel Indeo thing, IIRC. Lemme go check the documentation for a sec. *flips through web pages*

quote:

Q. THE GAME DISPLAYS AN ERROR OR A BLACK SCREEN WHEN I START IT UP

A. This may be a video card graphics driver glitch which should clear up after the first few frames of the AVI are played. If

an error is displayed, just click OK and the game will continue as normal.

Note that the original Dreamcatcher logo was encoded using DivX and this may not play on certain systems. An Indeo version

will be available in a future patch.

The game requires Indeo 5.10 or higher codec. If the logo does not play (neither will in-game explosions and other

effects), install the latest version of Windows Media Player on your system and read the next item if you have winXP.

You can also disable the intro animation by editing the properties of game shortcut and adding the /n parameter. For

example go to START/PROGRAMS/DREAMCATCHER and edit the target properties for the Battlecruiser Millennium Gold shortcut so

that it looks like this:

"C:Program FilesDreamCatcher3000ADBattlecruiser Millennium Goldbcm.exe" /n

Q. I JUST BOUGHT A NEW SYSTEM THAT CAME WITH WINXP SERVICE PACK 1 AND THE GAME WON'T PLAY THE INTRO OR EXPLOSIONS

A. With the September 2002 update to Windows XP (known as Service Pack 1), Microsoft is no longer distributing any version of

the Indeo codecs with its operating system. This only affects users with new PCs that are shipping with Windows XP Service

Pack 1, or clean installs of Windows XP SP1 on an older system. Installation upgrades of SP1 and the use of Windows Update

does not remove existing Indeo codecs from your system.

Microsoft now have a fix via their

See if that fix works.

Hope I've been more of a help than a hassle. I'm the Newbie Welcome Wagon. Any questions, feel free to ask in the Newbie Forum. They shouldn't get deleted on sight, unless they've been asked millions of times, or unless they're spammy. Any legit concerns are good to go.

Peace.

Ok many pointed you in the right direction here are the advisements

First things first have a look at This topic to learn how to put your system specs in your signature. This really does help us help you!

Secondly you can disabled the Intro from running by editing the shortcut to run BCM to end with the ' /n' switch or you could

As the SC stated here

And I quote

quote:

(
B)
the 1.00.01 patch replaced the DivX encoded movie with an Indeo 5.1 version. heh

• 9 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Just to avoid starting a new topic... I've got the same problem with the codec I assume.

There is a difference though. I have that microsoft patch installed, and I have the Indeo 5.11 codec. I still get the same error startup.

It's not the startup I'm most worried about, though, its the fact that the game crashes everytime something goes to explode when flying around the surface of the planet.

Are there any other possible fixes.

NOTE: I have played with no problems off a clean install of Win XP with Service Pack 1. I had to format my drive a while back, and I've just got around to re-installing BCMG and now I'm getting a problem... weird, huh?

• 1 month later...

They are definately there. I've tried uninstalling the Indeo 5.11 codec and trying other downloads of the same Indeo 5.11 codec. So it's not that I've picked up a bodgy download. NONE of them work.

And whatever possessed you to change the codecs to Indeo?

• 4 months later...

hey

i had the same problem and got a fix of the net but it took some looking. i think that i typed in "indeo codec" into google downloaded about a dosen things but just keep tryen and ull find the right 1. i would put the file on the forum or send it to the sc but i dont no how sorry.