multiplayer server problems

Splad

i have witnessed this on both lan games and internet games and was wondering if i was doing something wrong or if you might know of a reason why it would be doing this: when i host a server i make very sure that there is no password, yet when people try to join, or when i try to join my own game via lan games in game browser(i know it doesn't work, just doing it to test) it prompts for a password... you can't get past the promp because there obviously isn't a correct password to type in. i'm not suure how i got past it on lan, maybe i hosted on my other computer, but i seem to be unable to get past it online.

things i tried:

1. restarted server

2. set a single letter password "t" (still prompted, and wouldn't accept the password "t")

3. typed my wan ip into the server config field marked "server ip"

4. uncheck the box marked "dedicated server" (what does this do? aren't all servers supposed to be dedicated?")

5. checked the .ini and there was no password set

6. checked my router's config for the 12th time, (everything was in the right place)

7. restarted server again

...any ideas?

Plus there's the fact that he did try setting the password string and that still didn't work. It would seem that the problem isn't with the password function itself, but with something else.

Splad, you are running BCMG and not BCM, right? If so, what version are you running? Let's all make sure we're patched up to the most current level (as of 12/12/03: version 1.01.01).

i'm not sure what a tech ticket is, and i'm kinda busy tonight, but i'm happy to do whatever to get it working...should i set the password to "password" and leave the server up all evening while i'm out seeing The Last Samurai? that way at least people could try to join and possibly notice that my server won't take the word "password" as a password. well, seein as i'm leaving...NOW...nevermind, i'll do it tomarrow.

SC is saying that if we can verify that it's a real problem and not something being caused by us, his tech support team will look into it. But to verify that it's a real problem, we need to do some things first. The very first thing, as I said, is to make sure you and those who are trying to connect to you (like me) are running the same software. So, before you do anything else, please download the newest patch from the Download area, install it, and then verify that it installed properly by looking at the version number on the opening screen of BCMG. After you do that, we can try having you set up your server again and we'll try connecting to you (or I'll set one up and you can try connecting to it, or whatever).

Before I started any tests on my server / client I uninstalled BCMG deleted the folders, reinstalled applied the bcmg101.exe patch then the bcmg10101.exe patch.(of the 12/12/03)

The reason for this is to have a controlled environment also I have been running some GBS scripts with a modded universe and wanted to remove any possibility of hosed environments.

PC's used listed in sig Server as server OS win2k +all patches client as Games OS XP pro +all patches

Router Netgear RP614 and Switch Netgear FS516

Firewall was disabled for all tests.

Server Config

Password = none set then set to "password" and the test rerun.

Multi player Type = Lan (then Internet)

Max Bandwidth = Cable

Max Connections = Cable

Dedicated yes

Fleet No

Number of players = 8

Server IP= 192.168.0.1 (then Localhost then 82.38.130.118)

Server port = 2302

Spawn Time = 20

Start Delay = 20

Auto Team switch =No

Friendly fire = 1000

Friendly TTD = Yes

Hostile TTD = Yes

Allow AG = No

I did around 30 tests with differing setups repeatedly restarting the server with the new settings and joining from the client over Lan.

I tried to join the server with both the standard "Join MP server" shortcut and ingame browser and a modified shortcut with the "+connect xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" parameter in most cases the IP address was the internal 192.168.0.x x being 1 or 2.

I always used the MP Server Config utility to change the server settings ie Password,IP address, server mode Lan or Internet.

In all cases when I joined successfully, only when the password was set was I prompted for it.

When the password was removed I was no longer prompted for it.

When running in Lan mode I let the Router (DNS) assign static IP's to the PC via the MAC addresses.

Set the IP address in MP Server Config as the assigned 192.168.0.2 but it works fine set to "localhost"

When running in Internet mode I remove the Router, plug the cable modem into a NIC use my ISP's DNS to set the PC's IP address (82.38.130.118) set this address in the MP Server Config utility,

Set a second NIC (plugged into the switch) with ICS running (IP address 192.168.0.1) this acts as the DNS for the internal LAN and plugged the client cable in the switch (instead of the Router), but it should work fine using the Router.

Before I start the server I usually disable all NICs but for the Internet connection

Once the server has started and I see the game initialize on the external IP address I then re-enable the NIC with ICS and join with the client.

Not sure if doing that makes any difference but when the server started and picked up the internal IP (still showed in ASE on the external IP) I never got any connection or the connection I received failed but that may have been co-incidence.

I did notice a server running yesterday with an IP address of 81.49.6.138 whoever was running it was also logged in on the forum as a "Guest" but this server was not pingable so I don't know the game version or server name and it refused all connections.

Always check the server game version before you try to connect I think this is the reason I'm getting refused connections from some Internet clients.

Conclusion.

I had no problems joining the server with the passwords set or not even after the server ran with a password then ran with the password removed I could still connect over Lan without problems.

As previously Splad was able to connect to my server on at least 2 occasions I must conclude that it must be a problem with his install or setup.

Edit: just correcting some obvious spellings, if I read it a gain I'll probably find more to correct.

[ 12-14-2003, 10:12 AM: Message edited by: Pugwash ]

Thanks very much for going to all the trouble, guys. That was really nice of you.

So I guess we'll have to find somebody else to host us, unless Splad can figure out what's going on with his setup. Anyone have a beefy machine that they want to dedicate to a worthy cause?

well, i am pretty sure it's something specific to my computer at this point. i think i'll uninstall, delete folders and reinstall and repatch. Then i can try it again and update you. at this point i do have the latest patch installed, just so you know, i had upgraded it from the rc7 patch the other day hoping it would make the problem magically go away.

also, pugwash stated a couple of times that i had successfully joined his server...a couple of times, and i just wanted to say: I did what now? i joined a server, but i thought that was being hosted by $ilk. at least i figured it was his server just because he had recently posted that he had a server up, and there was 1 server up at the time. however, i wasn't the administrator for that server, so i guess i have to take your word for it. heh, i'm kinda confused.

i'm leaving again, big cell bio conference at the moscone center in San Francisco. i'll be back online...later and i'll reinstall and all then.

also, i really need to add my specs to my profile sig. i'll do that later too, i'm late!!

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem with a password being required, the server worked fine on a dialup connection (I know, don't do this, it was only a test), and is working on a cable connection now, the password problem only occurred when the server was behind a firewall with port forwarding. I suspect this had to do with a conflict with a ftp server that was also port forwarded, unfortunately I was never able to confirm that.