several problems with multiplayer

CesarPim

Hello.

I have encountered some problems while playing in multiplayer. Could someone shed some light on them? I would like to know if they are real problems (bugs) and if they can be solved somehow. I encountered the following:

[*]The server disconnects quite often . I don't know if this is related, but many times it happens after I descend to a planet and approach another player (often in 1st person) when we are about to meet .

[*]Sometimes, from one moment to the next, the frame rate goes to like one every 4 seconds, with no apparent reason .

[*]Sometimes I am not able to meet the other player because we are as in paralel universes ...

[*]Sometimes, after we pass a wormhole like IAF2, when I target the other player and start to approach him, the distance increases as if I was targeting the wormhole .

Some information on this would be much appreciated.

live long and prosper

quote:

Sometimes I am not able to meet the other player because we are as in paralel universes ...

This occured twice:

1) The other player was me, experimenting with client/server on same machine. Unsupported.

2) The other ship/player is a ghost. Raisin'eyebrows over that one myself. It seems that sometimes when a player is destroyed, he reappears some distance (11 clicks or so) away. After a few seconds the player disappears but the vessel stays. You can hit it but you can't damage it and the vessel does absolutely nothing but hang in space.

quote:

The server disconnects quite often

Serverdoc logfile shows:

23:58:33 start

00:51:10 restart

00:58:00 restart

03:28:45 restart

[2 minutes later the system crashes]

BC log shows:

you connect: 00:59:08 ; 01:04:04 ; 01:55:10 and 02:05:27

you disconnect: 01:49:57 ; 01:52:05 ; 01:54:12 and 02:03:40

quote:

Originally posted by dreadx:

quote:

Sometimes I am not able to meet the other player because we are as in paralel universes ...

This occured twice:

1) The other player was me, experimenting with client/server on same machine. Unsupported.

2) The other ship/player is a ghost.

I was not talking about those times. Twice already I wasn't able to find my brother and we were supposedly in the same place. But this is not an often problem. The most serious is the first one I mentioned.

quote:

Originally posted by dreadx:

quote:

The server disconnects quite often

Serverdoc logfile shows:

23:58:33 start

00:51:10 restart

00:58:00 restart

03:28:45 restart

[2 minutes later the system crashes]

My mistake is that I said that the server crashed. It probably didn't crash, it just disconnected the clients. This is for me the most serious problem because it happens very often.

For instance, it happened a lot when me and my brother tried to meet each other, in your server, on the planet surface, and we got disconnected.

Live long and prosper.

quote:

Originally posted by Captain CesarPim:

For instance, it happened a lot when me and my brother tried to meet each other, in your server, on the planet surface, and we got disconnected.

Live long and prosper.

The server will disconnect/reconnect clients based on the integrity of the connection. Bad connections lead to bad packets which in turn lead to disconnects.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

The server will disconnect/reconnect clients based on the integrity of the connection. Bad connections lead to bad packets which in turn lead to disconnects.

Hmm. But that doesn't explain 3 things:

[*]Why, when this happens, both me and my brother are disconnected at the same time.

[*]Why does this happen more often when we are trying to meet in the planet surface.

[*]We both have cable connection, with no problems in other internet games.

Live long and prosper.

quote:

Originally posted by Captain CesarPim:

Hmm. But that doesn't explain 3 things:

[*]
    Why, when this happens, both me and my brother are disconnected at the same time.

[*]
    Why does this happen more often when we are trying to meet in the planet surface.

[*]
    We both have cable connection, with no problems in other internet games.

Live long and prosper.

Dunno. Works fine here.