BCM - Game won't start, crashes, freezes etc

Sard

• 4 months later...

hi,

I bought uc and loved it. So i went out and bought bcmg. I seem to get rtd within 5 min of game(except when i turned all graphics functions to minimum and set color to 16 bit)

i have installed all the apropiate patches. I have read just about all the posts on this forum but no answers. Also i am having trouble updating my specs so here they are:

pc make:gateway 500s; proccesor:intel p4 2.0 gig; memory:768 meg; cd-rom/dvd:48x; sound card:soundmax integrated audio; video card:geforce4 mx440; Vid ram:128; os:xp; video card bios:3.0.8.2;sound:5.12.1.3503

if anyone has any clues to the reason one will work and the bcmg wont let me know.

ty,

me

• 5 months later...

I'm sorry to post here, but my own efforts to solve my problem have failed.

The problem is as follows:

I installed BCMG on my Win2k system and when I start it, I see the Dreamcatcher movie, then the 3000AD Movie and then the screen gets black for one or two seconds and afterwards I am returned to the desktop without any error message.

I already spent yesterday by reading the forum and the FAQ and tried all solutions I found. I tried /n, I installed the newest (official)drivers I found for my Voodoo 3 and I reinstalled the game and applied the 1.01.07 Patch.

I would be glad if anybody had some suggestion what I could do.

Thanks a lot in forward.

Yeah it's old, so?

I read whats beyond your link ... it says:

"16MB DirectX 8 compliant 3D graphics card"

A Voodoo 3 fullfills that. (at least I've never seen a game that doesnt run with my Voodoo 3, thoug it uses Directx 8)

But anyway, isnt anyone willing to give some constructive help?

Stilzkin may be confused with the difference between the OS running DX9.0c and having a video card that's DX8 compliant.

I'd guess a 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 is DX6 (maybe DX7) compliant but certainly not DX8 or later.

@Cc: Well, not really ...

@Pugwash: Though I formulated it a bit confusing, I meant that I dont know if my Voodoo 3 is DirectX 8 compatible, but I thought so, though all my other games (not older than BCMG) run without problems.

So why is every game running normaly except BCMG?

What other possibilities are there? Have I forgotten to check some possible solution? (except the ones mentioned above) Why isnt there any error message? Is that normal? When there's a problem with my voodoo 3 there should at least be something like "couldnt initialise ..." or so. Is there a known case of someone using a Voodoo 3 without success? (or vice versa?)

P.S. 1: Why isnt there any mentioning of a DirectX 8 compatible video card on the game box? (german release)

P.S. 2: Squirrels with very cold paws have less trouble getting into peanut

butter than the average uninitiated Homo Sapien (equipped with a Voodoo card) has in getting into a

Battlecruiser game.

Check the install directory for error logs *falerror.log, *debug.log or similar names.

Try running in debug mode if its still supported edit the shortcut and add /d4 or /l4 param. levels are 1-5, 1 bing low 5 being highest.

Check the debug log if one is created

but at the end of the day if anything useful is found in the log it will only confirm the video card is not adequate.

The is a subtle difference between something being compatible and compliant.

I just reinstalled a voodoo 3 card on a P3 system,under Windows ME.

BCMG,fresh off the disk,no upgrades,would kinda work,with huge graphics anomallies like weird background text and oddball colors in the graphics.This is in fullscreen mode.It would not run the config menu (exit to desktop).ALso would not run in windows

/w1 mode.

Tried BCM,fresh off the disk,no upgrades,a little better.The game would pretty much run.However,config would not work (exit to desktop) and windows mode would not work.

Dude....go to Ebay and get something a 'little' newer.Like a Rage Pro or GForce 2 or something.

If you can't bare to part with that voodoo card,run dual monitors.

Thank you very much for the suggestions.

I tried the parameters you gave, but the /l# just seems to change the language (for 2-5 I get the error message "***.lng" not found and on 1 (seems to be english) the same error as above described occurs).

As well as the other parameter: /d# simply does nothing, at least it doesnt change the error.

Sadly there are no error logs or something similar in the BCMG Folder.

Well, I had another idea ... I remember reading something about an incompatible VIA Chipset ... and as far as I know the Voodoo 3 uses one, too. Could this be doing any problems and is it possible to patch this?

If this still doesnt work, I'll just buy a newer graphics card ... just to show that it won't change the error

@Cc: Besides I'm no 'dude' thank you for your efforts.

So it looks like I'll have to think which of both goes to the trash ... BCMG or my Voodoo 3.

I think I'll give the old Battlecruiser 3000 A.D. a try and decide afterwards.

P.S.: but if anyone knows something about this VIA chipset thing, let me know.