What it is....and isn't

quote:

Originally posted by Shingen:

No offense, but I've been playing UCMP since Feb 2004, so I'm ain't freakin' stupid...at least give me a little credit...

Let me try to put this in terms that you'll understand.

Persistent Game World:

A game where action occurs regardless of what the player does.

Examples:

UC, Battlefield 1942, Star Wars Galaxies

Explanation:

In games like this there are certain objectives, such as in the Battlefield Series where you need to capture certain control points. If you play Single Player with Bots, the bots try to capture the bases, regardless of what you do. Bots on opposing teams will try to kill each other, again, regardless of what you do. In games such as Star Wars Galaxies, the Players are what makes it persistent, Again, stuff happens that don't REQUIRE YOU to do anything.

Non - Persistent World:

A gaming world where most events are User Triggered.

Examples:

Starcraft, Doom Series, Really MOST games.

Explanation:

In Starcraft, if you're playing a Campaign with certain objectives, the objectives CANNOT be accomplished without your input. The AI in the game WON"T even attempt to make up for your lack of input. In Doom, the characters are literally waiting for you to pass certain "points" in the game for them to react and respond, whereas in a game like UC, if an enemy Marines sees or hears you, he will come after you. There are no triggers.

MMOG's are persistent worlds that are on most of the time, and include the ability for the gaming world to be saved when they are shut down for maintainance or upgrades.

Just because WWII Online is reset once every 3 or 4 months when a Campaign is over, doesn't mean that it's Not a Persistent world. And in the same way just becuase the UC servers are reset every night, doesn't mean that it's not a persistent world.

Guest Shingen

quote:

Originally posted by Darkling:

And in the same way just becuase the UC servers are reset every night, doesn't mean that it's not a persistent world.

Thanks for explaining the obvious...

Either you didn't read through the entire thread, or you failed to comprehend my point-of-view.

Regardless...it's immaterial.

I stand corrected.

Guest Shingen

Just for the record here...

A dynamic universe, is what I percieve as your idea of what a persistent universe is.

A persistent universe, to me at least, is a game that remains for a very long time. That the player can keep going back to, playing, and building and sustaining.

This, to me, is persistence.

It may not be the classical gaming definition, but there ya go.

quote:

Originally posted by Remo Williams:

quote:

No offense, but I've been playing UCMP since Feb 2004, so I'm ain't freakin' stupid

Heh, wrong again.

LMAO!!

quote:

Just for the record here...

A
dynamic
universe, is what I percieve as
your
idea of what a
persistent
universe is.

A
persistent
universe, to me at least, is a game that remains for a very long time. That the player can keep going back to, playing, and building and sustaining.

This, to me, is persistence.

It may not be the classical gaming definition, but there ya go.

heh, you just keep shooting yourself in the head. By every definition (even yours above), every single BC game is dynamic and persistent. Always have been.

Guest Shingen

I'm just here to entertain you guys..geeze, I don't know why y'all keep forgetting that.

Ya'll think it's real and personal or sumthin'... Christ...nevermind, my bad..let the games continue.

Guest Shingen

quote:

quote:

No offense, but I've been playing UCMP since Feb 2004, so I'm ain't freakin' stupid

Heh, wrong again.

I agree, my bad.. it was prolly march or april before that MP patch made it "stable".. hell, do you remember when UCMP became playable after release?

Guest Shingen

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

heh, you just keep shooting yourself in the head. By every definition (even yours above), every single BC game is dynamic and persistent. Always have been.

Sorry, but please find a reference where I said that UC wasn't either "persistent" or "dynamic". I couldn't find one. If it was implied, then I must have been buzzed at the time.

Again, my apologies, but I'm just a simple carpenter, so I don't possess the vast intellect required to judge the difference.

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

quote:

quote:

Heh, wrong again.

I agree, my bad.. it was prolly march or april before that MP patch made it "stable".. hell, do you remember when UCMP became playable after release?
UCMP was stable from day 1 unlike you keep ranting about every chance you get.

Much like the other non-existent issues I heard about in the past from our BC guru on UCMP. Unfortunately when something doesn't work the way Shingen thinks it should then automatically its unstable or a bug, and he sets out on his usual mission to deceive as many as possible with his errant thought process. As he will again I'm sure when UCG and UCAWA are released.

Sorry Derek I don't know why I waste my time responding to our self proclaimed BC vet I won't do it again. Once UCG is release I'll just make sure I have my rubber boots on when Shingen starts posting and keep quiet.

Remo Out

Guest Shingen

quote:

Remo, you are either delusional or extremely dishonest. I wish you would make up your mind. You tell me, since I'm obviously a non-existent BC guru.

UCMP wasn't playable upon release, and to state otherwise is a blatant mis-representation of the truth...(of course, you might want to define first, what you consider playable) ...anyone else wanna help me out here?

quote:

Much like the other non-existent issues I heard about in the past from our BC guru on UCMP. Unfortunately when something doesn't work the way Shingen thinks it should then automatically its unstable or a bug, and he sets out on his usual mission to deceive as many as possible with his errant thought process. As he will again I'm sure when UCG and UCAWA are released.

Sorry Derek I don't know why I waste my time responding to our self proclaimed BC vet I won't do it again. Once UCG is release I'll just make sure I have my rubber boots on when Shingen starts posting and keep quiet.

Remo Out

Obviously, you have issues with me that I'm not privy to..please enlighten me..or maybe you should just grow up and get over it...it's just a game fer Christ's sake.

I was told by Derek himself, that I was allowed to express my opinion, and since I've neither been hateful nor abusive to anyone, I fail to comprehend your aggression.

Now, back to the thread at hand...

[ 06-30-2005, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: Shingen ]

Guest Shingen

Just a side note here:

Remo, with all due respect ( and I know this isn't the place) but don't think I don't remember all the conversations we had on Teamspeak. You and I and several others about UCMP.

Please don't act like I wasn't there and I have no freakin' clue about what BC is. In truth, I prolly play UCMP more then you do...well at least on the public servers.

I never see ya there expect on gameday...too good to play with the plebs?

Anyway..Derek, ban me if you wish. I was civil until Remo started it.

I'll play the damn game anyway.

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Similar to the BCM to BCM Gold transition. Start

The mp component has a bunch of new features (some culled from UCAWA) e.g.

1. Intruders

2. Transfer of cargo from Logistix/Cargo to a pod (which then gets deployed)

3. Mine laying

4. Integrated chat lobby

....and a bunch of other fixes, tweaks and improvements to both the single and multiplayer components.

Being able to transfer cargo between players, and lay mines is going to be very cool addition, and open up a lot of possibilities for those of us writing the ROE for fleet matches. I've been waiting a long time for this SC thanks.

Now I'll start wishing for probes.

Guest Shingen

Actually, I'm gonna have to agree with Remo here.

Once cargo-pods and mines are enabled in MP (not to mention player save-states), UCMP will be as good as BC singleplayer but in MP.

That's basically all we want. SP options in MP.

quote:

quote:

Remo, you are either delusional or extremely dishonest.

No name calling around here please. WHY is it that you're always the first to start doing that? No more warnings Shingen. NO MORE WARNINGS.

quote:

UCMP
wasn't
playable upon release, and to state otherwise is a blatant mis-representation of the truth...(of course, you might want to
define
first,
what you consider playable
) ...anyone else wanna help me out here?

Really? Thats truly funny and is news to me. UCMP was fully playable since day 1. Sure, it wasn't perfect, but it was certainly 100% playable. As is BCMG mp, upon which the UC mp is based.

And the UC mp problems had nothing to do with the game itself (as noted in the rather detailed VCF), but rather in my choice of middleware (GameCom) that I chose to use. Compare the number of mp bug fixes to the tweaks and new features added post-release.

Not to mention that there were four servers available right off the bat and which were paid for my DC for the first three months of the game's release.

All you've been doing is ranting about one thing or another (for e.g.) without offering anything - anything whatsoever. Yet, you wonder why folks shy away from you. I mean, anyone can pull up your posts and see this for themselves. If you're not ranting about something, you're arguing with or ranting at someone. OK, that in itself is not an issue as long as it remains civil; but the fact is, you know nothing - nothing - about the state of mp. Not when it came out and not even now. I own the servers. I control the servers. I know who goes on those servers; when, how, for how long etc. I know who participate just for fun, for fleets etc etc. Your attendance is spotty at best. Its like you going to med school for a week and thinking you can perform brain surgery.

Since day one, I said that its going to be difficult for people to host their own servers because of the game's rather demanding requirements. It is for this reason, that I continue to pay for and host servers so that those who want to play mp, can do so. At my expense and because to me, $1,000 a month (for the servers) is a small price to play for brand loyalty. A game as massive as this - which wasn't designed with mp in mind to begin with (hence the reason mp was gutted in UC and started from scratch with the BCMG mp as the basis for improvement) - is a massive undertaking and any developer worth his salt would be scratching their heads about how to pull it off. A seamless world. Zero zoning and 99.9% stable servers.

Who do you think spent tons of money revamping the mp, licensing a new middleware (ReplicaNet) kernel, paying for servers etc? Why would I do that if the mp wasn't worth the trouble? Its not like I have money to burn.

So please, get your facts straight. And at the very least, if you're going to start an argument, provide factual data to back it up. In fact, it would take me no less than 15 mins to have the original UC mp running on one of the servers for anyone to try it. Then tell me that its not playable. In fact, I'm so confident that its utter bullshit, that I will put up any amount of money as a bet to anyone who challenges this premise.

quote:

1. Intruders

2. Transfer of cargo from Logistix/Cargo to a pod (which then gets deployed)

3. Mine laying

4. Integrated chat lobby

Being able to transfer cargo between players, and lay mines is going to be very cool addition, and open up a lot of possibilities for those of us writing the ROE for fleet matches. I've been waiting a long time for this SC thanks.

Now I'll start wishing for probes.

My original post was for UCAWA which has all those features, not UCG. I have clarified and corrected this in a new thread.

UCG is basically going to be UC + native DX9 + fixes + new scenarios + integrated chat/server lobby. Nothing else is planned, apart for what is already documented in the product info PDF. And the mp will be identical to the one in UC.

There will only be one official mp server for it and only for a few months or so. My resources are currently focused solely on UCAWA, UCO and BCNG.

The final UC patch (2.00.30) will also have support for the chat/server lobby and the client will be included in the patch.

[ 07-01-2005, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

UCG is basically going to be UC + native DX9 + fixes + new scenarios + integrated chat/server lobby. Nothing else is planned, apart for what is already documented in the product info PDF. And the mp will be identical to the one in UC.

I see, well the chat lobby is and excellent addition.

Just wait till you guys get your hands on it there won't be any use for ASE with UCG. While your chatting with your buddies you'll be able to monitor the servers, read the forums and a whole lot more it rocks.