Replacing wrecks

mevose

I've searched, probably not using exactly the right terms, but haven't found an answer to this question. And it's probably so obvious I'll hurt myself when I find it.

Suppose you retrieve a fighter, or one just barely limps in, that is so trashed that not even the scrapyards want it. You could buy two new ones for what it'll cost in parts and time to repair this junk heap. So, is there a way to replace a terribly shot up fighter that hasn't actually been destroyed? I tried just abandoning one, but it was still shown as being in service, even though the crew was dead and there wasn't much of anything left to it (down to three or four AP, I think). Or do I just have to fix 'em up no matter what it costs or how long it takes?

As long as you have a pilot or two that aren't worth a whole lot to begin with, you can launch the junk-heap(s) against an enemy star-station. That takes care of the problem real quickly.

Actually, all u gotta do is launch them in a hostile region and the idiots will jump to the enemy star-station all by themselves, and get toasted before they even get outta hyperspace.

You have to have two pilots assigned or the FC won't launch.

Then just clone and buy a new FC. Problem solved.

Yeah, they are kinda stupid like that.

Hmmm... I launch fighters without copilots all the time.

A question just came to mind that I've never considered before. Do cloned pilots retain their experience, number of kills, etc.? I've never really paid any attention to whether they do or not. And I'm not really anxious to experiment around with getting my pilots killed off to find out. If not, I'll have to come up with something a little better than the Kamikaze attack to get rid of thoroughly trashed fighters.