BCM War Stories & Experiences

Supreme Cmdr

Roam

Commander/Terran/Insurgent

Sygan/Generis

Flew a Generis tonight. Got some enemies pretty soon. Was flying against a falkyrie starcarrier and the PTA was doing a bang up job. I had his shields gone and his armor down to 400. Then the dirty rotten rat b@astard decided I wasn't fun anymore and he went to pick on an S24 Raven.

Coward.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just tried some of the Instant action MI scenarios. Specifically the search and rescue ones. Oh my god they are good. I couldn't last more than 10 minutes at a time but I had 2 hours of fun. I specifically like getting to the corner of some building, crouching down and using my sniper gun to shoot at incoming marines and vehicles.

So this last time (last 10 mins ) I crouched down in the middle of the base (no cover, didn't have time to run, stuff incoming from all sides) and start clearing myself a path through marines. I zoom in and do a quick 360 scan to get the idea of who is closer. 2 marines, one running, one crouching and aiming, so I take a couple of shots at the aiming one (of course), he yells and drops to the ground, so I start taking shots at the running one (by that time he is near the marine that droped to the ground) so he yells and drops too, and the first one gets up and starts firing again, I take aim and start shooting the first one again *baam* *baam* he is dead, and the second one too. So I get up and take 2 shots from behind. My health is down to about 40% so I hit the jetpack and start looking for the supply station. Find one and fly towards it, land about 1k from it, drop to the ground and do a quick scan (making sure nobody is going to disturb my "relaxation") and what do I see but 2 more marines side by side aiming at me. What I do is take them down with my sniper gun (man I love this thing). Next I run to the supply station and tell it that I urgently seek some medical attention (the sounds just kill me ) Then I rearm/repair and get on with my "rescue" again. So I see a SAM lauching a missle (those things look so cool while launching from up close) I take aim and fire, the thing blows up after about 5 seconds of concentrated fire (also what's really amazing is I see a missle flying over my head, but it's not aimed at me but something else) Then I take a couple of hits from some marines (droping my health to 30% again) so I hit the jetpack, and start looking for some safe place to touch down when I hear "warning incoming" I switch to the 3rd person view and see a missle heading right for me, a second later *kaboom* and all I see is sparks and game over.

This was just pure adrenaline. I played for 2 hours (in 10 minute survival sessions). I am going to go try it again, just can't get enough.

Astral Projection Saved My Ship.

I parked my CC on a quiet part of earth to give the Systems crew some time to install some upgrades. I powered down almost all systems except launch control and life support, and launched myself in a mk II shuttle to go on some scout/trading runs while I'm waiting for the work to be done. After a few Galcom Wraith runs I went to explore Lyrius and buzzed around there for a while. I must of done something wrong because I started to get those electricity effect all over my shuttle. I didn't seem to be taking damage, but I didn't know what was going on so I hit the after burners and headed back to my CC back on earth. When I got there my sheilds and hull on the CC were down to about 50 percent, as were most of its systems... Don't know what happened to my shuttle, which seemed fine, and I have no idea what damaged the CC sitting around all by itself... Thought it was a neat coincidence though, and a funny story... or at least a good headline.

Maybe we should start a psychic wing over at wraith just for me... It'll have nice padded rooms.

Cheers

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

I just tried some of the Instant action MI scenarios. Specifically the search and rescue ones. Oh my god they are good. I couldn't last more than 10 minutes at a time but I had 2 hours of fun. I specifically like getting to the corner of some building, crouching down and using my sniper gun to shoot at incoming marines and vehicles.

Yeah, I love those too. Man, just think: I had to script AND test them. I must've tweaked those fp scenarios until my fingers bled.

Once I beef up the NPC situation awareness (see entry at the bottom of the VCF), it will get more challenging.

One tip: don't go jetpacking around with SAMs or rocket silos around. You'll just die in a hail of glorious sparks

The newbie thread on Fighter SOS jogged my memory about this one from last night.

There I am, the evil assassin Rebrov, plying a bit of trade between Chanis 1 and 2 (10% diff in inflation, not great, but they're pretty close, so what the hell). Anyway, in jumps a Gam Merc out for some bounty. There ensued a short dogfight, which I one hands down, but he managed to get a shuttle away. Serves them right I thought, so went after that too, he emits SOS, I set orders to tow, Then BOOM! The bloody thing lights up like a Christmas tree, putting a dent in my shields. Lost bounty, I thought, but one less Merc.

'Warning, Intruder alert!'

Scumbags! They must have transported over just before they boobytrapped the thing and managed to deal a wealth of damage to my weapons and cargo bays before my grunts got them under control. Luckily, I make a habit of turning of launch control unless I need it, because one of them was in SC2, along with one of my marines. They must have been arm-wrestling, because neither was hurt too bad.

I didn't realise that some SOS craft are boobytrapped till the SC mentioned it in the above thread.

Never, EVER, underestimate the AI in this game.

I was flying around in a shuttle while my CC was being repaired in earth orbit. After a while, I decided to head back to earth. Usually, for some anal reason, I like to line my ship up with my destination before I hit the hyperdrive, but this time I didn't. Apparently I was facing exactly 180 degrees away from my ship and was startled to suddenly go into hyperspace backwards (I was expecting the shuttle to orient itself first). It re-emrged into normal space and then spun around. Now that's a kick-ass reverse.

I sent two shuttle on Mars, to do some mining. I was on Shuttle 1. We landed one in front of the other, then I deployed my mining drone and...

the drone went right on top of Shuttle 2 and started mining !! It was really funny. I have a screenshot somewhere.

Then I checked what the drone was mining and...

surprise: no minerals! Only "Human meat"!

No, no, just kidding!

Actually I did not check what was extracted, I was too busy laughing, and forgot to check.

See you in space!

[story Mode On]

Commander Card groaned. The message had come through from HQ that he was to pose for some promotional pictures for a Droidan Military recruitment campaign.

"Why me?", he thought as he strapped himself into his EVA suit. He stepped through the airlock and rotated his jetpack to face himself towards the flight deck.

What he saw was the Royal Cheriton speeding away from him at cruising speed, cheerfully heading for an impact with the planet. Instantly, he realised what he had done. He had forgotten to give his crew any instructions on what to do while he was away. His AI brain calmly switched into problem solving mode, and he brought up his wrist-sized TACOPS computer, then ordered the Royal Cheriton to fly towards himself.

In the far distance, he saw the kilometre long craft turn in space like a darting salmon and start the short cruise back towards himself.

"Excellent!", he thought, as the distance between himself and the carrier shortened, then shortened some more, then got very short.

Unfortunately, instead of the enormous craft slowing down to allow him to enter back through the airlock, it did not slow down. Instead, it simply smacked him in the face in a rather terminal way.

The Droidan military was now slightly more intelligent collectively.

[story Mode Off]

All you guys who like to run down space marines in your carriers - I recommend trying it from the other side of the equation! You might not be so heartless in future!

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Yeah, I love those too. Man, just think: I had to script AND test them. I must've tweaked those fp scenarios until my fingers bled.

Once I beef up the NPC situation awareness (see entry at the bottom of the VCF), it will get more challenging.

One tip: don't go jetpacking around with SAMs or rocket silos around. You'll just die in a hail of glorious sparks

Yeah, I seriously just can't get enough of them. It shows that you worked hard on them because you can keep playing them, die, and instead of giving up, you just want to try it "just one more time". So instead of being frustrating and hard, they are actually very fun and hard. As for boosting the AI awareness, I guess my survival will drop to 5 mins at a time.

quote:

Originally posted by SmileyMan:

Unfortunately, instead of the enormous craft slowing down to allow him to enter back through the airlock, it did not slow down. Instead, it simply smacked him in the face in a rather terminal way.

Oh that was great, just great. Marvelous, stupendous.

Note to self, avoid Droidans with odd deathwishes

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: Tyrn ]

I was patrolling Sol, when a SunFlash jumped into the Pluto region just as I did the same from Earth. I had a couple of fighters out, and they engaged it while I followed behind in hyperspace. Coming out of hyperspace, I lashed it with a sustained volley of IOD fire while it was thinking about FC-2. At about 200 meters, just as I'm about to pull up and let my PTAs rake the cruiser at short range, it gives up the ghost and explodes. Range 150 meters, and I haven't pulled up yet. No problem. It's gone and the initial shockwave washed over me, and I fly my Mk1 pretty much through the spot where the SunFlash had been a second earlier.

Big Mistake.

My officers start screaming. I glance over at my status displays and notice that my reactor output is down to 12%. Shields are gone and hull is down to 72. Damage reports are coming in from Officers who rarely speak. I didn't know that if Medibay was destroyed and your MO survives, she calmly tells you that there will be some delay...

Anyway, I manage to squeaze about 50 units of power out of the solar reactor, and size up my situation.

Transporter room: gone

Operations: Gone

Troop quarters: Gone

Officers Quarters: gone

Personnel Quarters: gone

Medibay: gone

Main Computer: Gone

Engine: Gone

Shuttle bay, Fighter bay, Missile Bay, IOD, PTA, Mine Launch Bay, Cargo Bay 2, Aux Life Support, Tractor Beam, EMD, Reactor Coolant System, Tactical Computer, Logistics Computer... All Gone.

I figure I took a Nacelle across my upper hull. Fragments from the explosion. I'm speechless at the carnage that my ship was just exposed to.

One fighter is pilotless, and the other has 4% hull integrity, and judging by the slow decline of the pilot's health, Life support is offline.

I manage to call for a tow. (Yes, somehow, Comm systems survived, and had power) I settle down to wait the 15 minutes until the tow shows up, and hope nothing hostile arrives. I don't wait long.

Static ripples across my displays. My Tactical officer informs me that there's "Something out there," although with the damage we've take she must be using intuition to detect the cloaked ship. Next I'm informed that I have intruders aboard. I didn't think he could do a lot more damage without blowing up the ship, so I switch on Perscan. With Tactical offline, my life is in the hands of Resnig, who sends 2 (TWO!!!) Marines to investigate. After a few minutes, I notice something odd. The intruder has beamed into my troop quarters. His health is down to 35 and there's no one near him. Suddenly it hits me: Troop Quarters has a new bay window view of deep space. The area was destroyed, and the intruder can't get out any more than my troops, who are all waiting just outside, can get in. Slowly he suffocates from the lack of Aux Life Support, while I laugh mercilessly.

I think they heard me. The Firestorm uncloaked next to me and laughed mercilessly as well. I made a good run for the Earth Jump point, only 30 km away, but it only took one or two hits to put me out of my misery.

[ 12-13-2001: Message edited by: Badgerius ]

Terran Raider, launched from Lennis(sp?)...pixan(sp?) station... sunflash class heavy cruiser the UCV-Katie Sweet(dont ask...it's my g/f...hehe)

I run around tractoring defenceless cargo ships into the station...get a tidy profit...I manage to do that till a mk3 comes along...I've taken them...so I hj over to it...it sends out a couple of fighters...big deal...I make the bc go boom... and take out the fighters with my pta...I order my shuttle to do a cargosweep... just then...those terrible words..."Somethings out there"...I run around franticly trying to find something...then, a firestorm uncloaks...bah...big deal, I"ve taken these before too...I rush over to it...and let loose some PTA/IOD fire...kablooy!...I took a bit of damage...but not much...I run to pixan...but seeing a few more ships have jumped in(enough to destry pixan itself)I just buy the spare parts and make a break for the planet...I run down to my previously deployed drones, and get them up...I transfer all the cargo to one shuttle along with a few choice members of my crew...and myself...I decide to let the CE have the ship to repair while I do a little trading...At this point it's getting late and I decide I've had enough so I save and quit for the night...maybe some more to this tomarrow...oh, and I too my first ride in a CAB...love it...although dont know how it would hold up in a fight...I drove it under the arch my CC made while landed...what I sight...

[ 12-14-2001: Message edited by: Commander Blake ]

I've been seeing a lot more blue dots around lately, and I'm glad of it.

After a bit of confusion with Requisitions from HQ, I finally got that jetpack back, and had independent space mobility once more. (The crew had been all too happy to boot me out without one, I noticed.) I spent some time flying and walking around my remodeled and much-better-looking MK3, playing trust games with the crew (i.e., floating directly in front of the main guns--they did a good job staying Halted, I think I'll get them t-shirts "I Passed Up the Chance to Vaporize My Commander, and All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt"), and so on. While this was going on, some miscreants attempted an attack on Genesis, and were repelled quite handily. HQ must have seen I was busy, as they'd dispatched one of their other MK3's.

I took stock of things after the explosions had died down, and noticed all those neutral castes flying about. A journalist here, returning to base, a tourist over this way, and a paramedic...targeted at a disabled and SOS'ing fighter. I watched it closely, as it hyperspaced over, collected the immobilized craft in tractor, and RTB'ed with it.

Very neat.

Well heres a short story that will teach you a lesson.

I've played alot of starcraft so of course my fav race to pick was terran. I am flying a huge stormcarrier doing various trading and sending my fighters to defend the 2 stations I was doing trading with. Galcom and Genisis. I got board of trading and my miners were only at 43% full so I decided to check out Mars. Im chillin in mars took out some fighters and a cloaked carrier. Don't know what the fuss is about smart AI or not i distroyed them without them even hurting my systems. I am happy and all and then I notice a worm hole of some kind. I can't establish a jump point from my command menu from a probe or my ship or anything. I am like thats it ill go threw manually! I jump to it and then fly at max speed at it and i fly right threw it. I didnt go anywhere. I am like dam then maybe i flew to fast. So I set the engines to power 2 and fly slowly toward it. As soon as I hit the anomally I hear Dammage reports for like 2 seconds and BOOM! Im instantly distroyed. Whereever that dam wormhole takes you it certinly isnt a good place must be a gateway to hell or somthing. I suggest you stay far from it and place lots of mines near it cause whatever is in it has got to be the nastyist thing ever!

quote:

my fav race to pick was terran. I am flying a huge stormcarrier

How did you pull that off? the stormcarrier is only available to gammulans. that "wormhole" was a flux field, several of them have an exit point in black holes. cool hey? sounds like you were dumped in a black hole! ouch.

quote:

Masterfeff761 posted on 12-15-2001

I've played alot of starcraft so of course my fav race to pick was terran. I am flying a huge stormcarrier

There is no way you can get the Stormcarrier playing as a Terran no matter what caste you are in. I know, cause I tried all of them. So would you like to tell us how you did it?

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: Cmdr Jeffery Eu ]

I've now got about 40,000,000 credits and all the artifact. My total assets, not including credits is about 70,000,000. I basically found a bug (unreproducable) that made the station in Saturn sel almost everything for 0 credits after being towed there (don't ask). I took advantage of this and basically maxed out everything.

So far WRX (Nightstar) is virtually unstopable. All I have to do now is wait for my RE to have sufficient IQ to enable me to use my RANDOM on Earth. That would show those Toffs at Galcom to reprimand me for having an illegal cargo on my ship.

I remember playing for the 5th time after i had just gotten the game... I choose trader, roam, and so on... Launch from GalcomHQ, and just kinda goof for awhile. Well, about 10 minutes of doing laps between Earth and the Moon, I head back toward Galcom to do some trading. I turn my head to look at my TV, and then turn back when I am in a unmaped region of space. Couldnt remember what it said. But it was uncharted. So i went back through the hole and it disappeared. Took some good damage too.. Was strange. I guess holes can open up sparatically anywhere...

[ 12-15-2001: Message edited by: Kenada ]

I'm in Gammulman space flying a Stormcarrier when this Credian/Raider Firestorm flys into the region heading straight for me. No sweat, I raise shields, cloak, launch fighters and arm weapons. He comes out of hyperjump and launches his own fighters. I swing around and let loose a few missles and order my fighters to tackle his fighters. After a few more missles and a few well placed shots from my main gun, the Firestorm gets obliterated and her remaining fighters head out of the system.

I send my fighters to pursue, but they only take out one Zenstar and one of my pilots of one of my interceptors is killed. I fire up The Beast's lumbering jump engines to head for the fighter to try and salvage it. By this time, I assume the threat had passed, so I also head to the shuttle for a little sight seeing. Well no sooner than I had left the bridge did those enemy fighters from that destoyed Firestorm jump BACK IN the system and blew my almighty Stormcarrier to slag. (I was only a few klicks from the jump gate). Just like that, in less that 8 seconds and BOOM!, I'm dead. I about soiled my pants, cuz it was the LAST thing I would have ever considered that the AI would do.

Moral: NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER UNDESTIMATE THE AI!!!!!!!!

Talk about getting outsmarted by the AI. Here's the story of "The One that Got Away"

I was in the Pluto region on my way to blockade New America. I get into a fight with an Aestrom. As I polish it off, a Mk-3 decloaks near me and attacks me. I manage to disable it, and get it under tow. During the fight, Gazer-1 had been destroyed, so I was heading back to Galcom HQ. After jumping into Earth space, I switched to external view to get a closer look at the new Mk-3 paint job. Just as I get it into view, I notice energy arcing over the hull. I shake my head in disbelief as the ship, still in the tractor beam, cloaks! I'm laughing my ass off, since I've still got it in the tractor. I got a screenshot, which I'll post later, of me tractoring nothing. I wondered how long he'd stay cloaked before he gave it up. I switched back to forward view to check the jump engines, and when I switched back to external, the tractor beam had disengaged. Sure enough, with no target to lock onto, the tractor had lost its lock on the Mk3, and I was sitting with shields down with a hostile carrier in my immediate vicinity. I had no choice but to raise my shields and hope he'd attack again. He never did though. I got a Mk1 as a consolation prize, but the wily cap'n (I can't think of it as an AI when it pulled that off) of the Mk-3 escaped capture not two minutes from Galcom HQ, and got away absolutely clean.