BCM War Stories & Experiences

Supreme Cmdr

originally posted by WeeGee

OMG, this is sweeeet. First off, the Questar rocks, I like it better than the Sunflash after what happened tonight. I think that the computer has deemed me "Galactic" Enemy No. 1.

I just started a new AE tonight, since my other one got killed last night from a stupid intruder (dumb marines). I choose the raider class feeling like it would be fun to kill/disable a few transports and loot them.

Well, after 3 transports, a Stormcarrier dropped in, and picked me as its. Target a little scared at first that the Gam/Mil Stormcarrier would kill me, as I had not tested the Questar class in combat yet, I set the PTAs to 70%, 10% lower than I normally have them. A split second later a Ter/Mil Battlecruiser Mk3 dropped in, targed the stormcarrier, and headed my way, since the Stormcarrier had already entered hyperspace to attack me. That got me a little worried. I knew that if I attacked one, destroyed it, the other would finish me off if I got damaged. I logically went for the stormcarrier first, Quite frankly, the Battlecruiser Mk3 sucks, so I figured I'd have a chance against that one if I survived the Stormcarrier and its fighters.

Next thing I know, the stormcarrier is dead and I've pretty much finished off the fighters. The Battlecruiser found a few of the stormcarriers fighters to playwith, and had succeeded in getting itself damaged, so I just finished it off with the PTAs and IODs.

Well, I dispatch two shuttles to help me two the many disabled fighters and such, when another Ter/Mil Battlecruiser Mk3 enters the region, I kill it with no problems, tossed a few Starchilds at it from long range, went in close and let the PTAs and my IODs finish it off. Here comes the biggies, the Gammulans, probably pissed that I killed the Stormcarrier, send 3 Aestroms after me, I kill the first, second comes. Second dead, third arrives. Well, I kill all of them, mop up the fighters.

After that, I'm towing a fighter back to the starstation, when I hear that I've been aquired. I target the lone fighter, I could have sweared this one just dissapeared and reappeared, but I forgot to bring up my shields. I feel kinda stupid about that since normally I operate with my shields lowered as long as I'm not in combat, then raise them. Well, flying towards me I guess he collides with me right before he explodes, takes my main comp down to about 40% killed my mine bay, and screwed a few minor systems up a bit, not that bad of damage. Then another Aestrom arrives, this time a Earthcom one. I thought I was dead, I had run out of missles... still, using just the PTAs and my IODs I OWNED the thing. It barely even got its fighters launched. Damaged I send my shuttles out to tow more while I head back to the star station to get some repairs done.

When I leave the starstation, another 2 BC Mk3s have entered the system, both I guess looking for me, 1 Ter/Mer and an Emp/Mil. I know many of you vets out there are gonna be like so what to this, but as a newbie, I'm damn well proud that the only thing that even SCRATCHED me was a fighter that collided into me.

I think I'm starting to get the hang of this game. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure that somehow that wasn't a coincidence that all those cruisers just happened to come into that system. I'm not so sure I want to get the patch right now...

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried this just before Christmas. A little bit of Black Ops for the holidays.

I landed on Midae's second moon, with a SpaceStar Cruiser. I transferred all 7 of my marines into shuttle 1 and went there myself. Then we took off for Midae itself.

I put the shuttle down on the nightside, in the pouring rain, about 50 klicks from my target, a raider missile base. I shut down the radar, and flew as low as I dared, with nothing but the altimeter and the occasional looming shadow to go by. At 15 klicks out, I landed, and deployed the troops. Then I got out myself, telling the shuttle to stay put. Then, using TacOps, I gave all the marines orders to take out a single structure on the base. A landing pad. I figured that the last thing I wanted was the raiders launching fighters against my shuttle.

So, the troops set off at a full run, with me right behind them. It took about 20 minutes to get close enough to the base to see it. I switched on the nightvision and zoomed in. No enemies. It seems that the shuttle went unnoticed. Excellent. I used a quick burst from the jetpack to move back up to the troops, and we closed in on the base.

Well, as we approached, it became apparent that all of the structures were floating about 30 feet in the air! My marines just stared at them, and couldn't figure out how to hit the landing pad. Fortunately, all of the SAM sites were on the ground, and I gave the marines SAD orders. Just then, then bad guys woke up, and we had marines everywhere. I spent several minutes killing a lot of marines, and then checked to see how my marines were doing. I was down to 1 marine! I gave the poor guy RTB orders, and he turned to flee. I moved to cover him, just in time to see him cut down by enemy fire. I popped one or two more enemy marines to vent my rage, and then checked to see if the enemy marines had targeted me. They had not. Instead, they had decided that my ride was a better target. They've targeted SC1 and were hustling on foot to take it out. I check my ammo, and decide that I can't stop them. I fire up the jet pack and hotfoot it back to the shuttle. I make it there, through the darkness and rain, and check the enemy marines. They were still 7 klicks away, and rather than risk the shuttle, and face a long, long walk to a point safe enough to risk an AI landing of my CC, I get in the shuttle, and take off. The missile base offers no resistance (and I resisted the urge to fly over the base), and made it home safely.

All in all, it was an awesome experience. Trekking through the rain on an alien planet, the night firefight in an enemy base, and the run back to the shuttle, all heightened the immersion factor of the game. I love this game.

quote:

Originally posted by Badgerius:

Then, using TacOps, I gave all the marines orders to take out a single structure on the base. A landing pad. I figured that the last thing I wanted was the raiders launching fighters against my shuttle.

You know, thats the first time I've seen someone actually mention doing this. Most just assume that those intercept fighters and troops come from thin air. In fact, taking out bunkers, barracks and launch pads should be top priority for any base incursion.

[ 01-07-2002: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Badgerius:

Well, as we approached, it became apparent that all of the structures were floating about 30 feet in the air!

Funny you should mention that, I came across that one the other day and was planning on investigating it. Thanks for reminding me. I think the positions of the those buildings is not being updated when you switch from one map view to the current....this is more apparent if you were first viewing a target in the external camera view and then back to the forward view. The camera is not being reset and the models repositioned (since the map you were viewing in the ext cam is probably different from the one you are actually on).

Guest Grayfox

Heres one i did yesterday that just blew me away... I decided to really test my marines under fire (i never really tried anything too complicated... im still green ya know) so i piled my self, all 10 of my marines, and Resnig AKA cannon fodder into both my shuttles, gave my cc halt orders in Lunas orbit, then launched. we landed about 150 klicks away from a ter/ins base. i then deployed both my drones (hey might as well collect some minerals while im doing this right?) then took off to get closer to the base. i then landed my shuttle about 25 Klicks form the base and gave sc2 orders to put down about 75k out, and to deploy Resnig and 5 marines and start heading towards the base.

in the meantime i gave my compliment of 5 jarheads the order to take out the enemy barracks whilst i took out the comm station and the early warning radar. when resnigs group got there i had them attack the landing pad, so i wouldnt be getting strafed.

thats when it got interesting. the enemy marines came out like roaches... i swear they were everywhere. beams criscrossed, the sounds of men dying were abundant, and i was meteing out terran police justice left and right ala Judge Dredd lol.

after all was said and done, i had lost only 1 marine, and he was the one who had a 9% AI rating... everyone else survived and the base was in shambles. I had resnigs crew secure the egress route and we all boarded our shuttles for the trip back to the cc.

then something unexpected happened. Resnigs shuttle had already collected his shuttles drone and left the moons surface and was headed back to dock with the cc. I collect my mining drone and im at about 22000 feet when i see my AE say those cold words every fighter pilot fears... "incoming" thats a pucker factor of at least 8.5. i lay on the afterburners and start screaming towards outer orbit, the missle lock beeps getting closer and closer. i finally hit 30,000 feet and exit into lunar space just before i was turned into ash... i swear i was sweating like crazy. i docked with my ship and headed back to the jumpgate to starpath and back home...

totally intense action and i loved every minute of it

This is my (newbe) disaster

I am at Alpha Centaury area. I have 4 mine drones working on one moon at Centris. I am full of fuel and ready to kick some butts. Then I reached Eori, a small planet full of EMP/INS bases begging to be attacked. I have one OTS missle ready to go. It seems to be a good day for this commander here. (guess what)

But.......there is one small thing between me and my targets. An ODS TRANCOR with low shield (about 2500) set and a LOT of Armor set (38000 - that's it). Ok, I have dealed with starstations and ODS's before, so, It will be very easy to destroy this one.

HA

First Attempt: I failed miserabilly. I flew direct to it with my FATAL missles ready and scanning. My plan was: reach the area, cloak and release all you have at once. when I reached near the ODS (about 15 km) I was visible and not able to cloak yet (transition to Hyperspace to normal). It was a mess. My firestorm was distroyed in seconds by blue laser shots.

Secont attempt: Lets put the FATAL in standby and turn off the PTA so the ODS will not "see" that we are tracking it. Than lets enter the Hyperspace cloaked so the ODS will not see us when approaching near it during the transition space.

Not a big deal.

When I reached the ODS my cloack radiation level was about 50%. I had to be quick. I approached the ODS and started to launch my missles. My PTA was doing its job and I was firing my main gun with full rate. It's shield was gone in seconds but its armor was hard to destroy. Even cloaked the ODS was firing alleatory to my direction and sometimes my Firestorm took some damage.

My FATAL was working hard and the ODS armor was still about 28000. My cloak radiation level was approaching 100%. It was not going to work this way. I decided to launch my fighters (How stupid you are commander? Fighters against a powerfull ODS like this? You should be court martialled.)

Oh my, what a mess, what a mess. I decloaked because my radiation level was 106%. The ODS hit me merciless. Every system around started to take damage. I began to receive reports from everywhere. I was in hell. I could hear the noise of the lasers hitting the hull. So I decided to cloak again an run away. By now, all my 8 fighters were destroyed. They lasted less than some seconds outside (stupid commander). When I tried to move away from the ODS my Engeneer shut down my cloak system due to the radiation level (reaching 110%). It was the end. My ship was destroyed quickly with just some shots. I even didn't have time to try to engage the hyperdrive and run away.

Be carefull with some ODS. They don't forgive.

quote:

when I reached near the ODS (about 15 km) I was visible and not able to cloak yet (transition to Hyperspace to normal). It was a mess. My firestorm was distroyed in seconds by blue laser shots.

I've seen this before. Just asking, mind you, but is this a playbalance issue? I've seen ships get destroyed before they can do anything because they are coming out of hyperspace and are immobile for a few seconds. Should they come out of hyperspace slightly out of range of the stations/ODS's to give them a fighting chance?

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Schacher:

I've seen this before. Just asking, mind you, but is this a playbalance issue? I've seen ships get destroyed before they can do anything because they are coming out of hyperspace and are immobile for a few seconds. Should they come out of hyperspace slightly out of range of the stations/ODS's to give them a fighting chance?

Nah. Realism factor. The ship de-materializes and materializes in realtime. Or that's how it used to be RPed. I like it where it is, though.

[ 01-13-2002: Message edited by: Cmdr Nova ]

quote:

Originally posted by Steve Schacher:

Should they come out of hyperspace slightly out of range of the stations/ODS's to give them a fighting chance?

What are you talking about? The jump egress distance is cued on the size of the target and the ship's cruise speed. Nothing else. This has always been the case. It works as designed.

I've found vectors to the pyron and grazer ods where they would not fire on my cc. Could it be that all the ods units have some sort of "blind spot?" I'm not sure how this could solve the problem of dieing when materializing. Perhaps approaching the ods from differant dirrections would help with the materialization problem.

quote:

Originally posted by antaren4279:

I've found vectors to the pyron and grazer ods where they would not fire on my cc. Could it be that all the ods units have some sort of "blind spot?" I'm not sure how this could solve the problem of dieing when materializing. Perhaps approaching the ods from differant dirrections would help with the materialization problem.

All units have a blind spot

What 'dying on materializating' problem? Why is it a problem exactly? If you're dumb even enough to jump directly to a hostile ODS (or any threat for that matter) that probably already had you tracked prior to your ingress, you deserve to die.

Guest Grayfox

had something strange happen to me today... thankfully i saved before i tried it. i was in jupiter orbit, and decided to head to f01 and make a jump. well upon exiting the flux field, i hear "hull integrity breached" and i get a cool outside shot of my ship blowing up. did i collide with something? or perchance it was an ODS or space staion just on the other side? i didnt hear any warning klaxons like usual when theres hostiles in the area. anyone else expereince this or something similar?

just curious.

A short time ago, someone left a post about beaming down on to a planets surface with a prisoner and a few marine guards. He then shot the prisoner and beaming back.

I decided to do the same thing, to see what it was like. Well I finally captured a prisoner. Not easy tasks mind you when my smartest AI for marines is only 21. But finally my crew was able to capture one. (With no I repeat NO help from my CO, who keeps getting his nametag on upside down. Got to send him back to inspecting gun turrets again) Anyway, so I beam down the prisoner with my smartest marine and my AE. And what do I notice, not only is he armed, but I can give him orders to attack enemy bases. This was too good to be true. I sent him off to attack the nearest enemy base, he lasted long enough to destroy 1 sam site, before I shot him in the head several times. I was in a rush, (Had to get to work) otherwise I was going to play around some more with this newfound recruit. Anyway I figure since my cruiser only has 5 marines on it I can augment them with prisoners as the first wave on any ground attacks. If they die then oh well, and if they live I can kill them at the end anyway. I see it as a win win situation from my end.

Anyway else try this?

[ 01-15-2002: Message edited by: Maddog ]

I'd like to entitle this post, 'Gavor's Newbie Debacle'.

Before I get started I would just like to say that I did play BC3k and i loved it. I even purchased the new and improved version when Derek released it. Sooooo, i'm not a total n00b, but its been a long time since i last played. On with the stupidity.

Since acquiring BCM i've tried out numerous ships and castes with varying degrees of success. Last night I decided to opt for basic terran mil commander and do some exploring of the sol system. Course plotted she said as I set NAV to Pluto. Before leaving I decided to do no research into pluto. If i'm going to explore i'm going to do it right dammit!

After arriving at Pluto I readied a shuttle with a marine pilot and sent it to the surface. It all seemed ok so the order was sent for him to land. My AE would be joining him ASAP via the transporter.

In the transporter room a marine waited patiently with my AE as I stuffed around re-learning the transporter controls. Unfortunately I had let my ship drift perilously close to the atmosphere of Pluto and planetfall was established. Oh #&^.

Damage reports began flooding in. I'll admit that a certain amount of panic ensued as I scrambled to take control and fly off the planet. This was hampered by my AE being in the transporter room and therefore not being available on the bridge. Stupid A/P insisted on not giving me control.

Finally I resolved this hitch and we were soon drifting away from the planet into a holding position. (nice effects on pluto BTW. i love the BCM graphics, whats wrong with these reviewers? I'm serious too, not sucking up or anything. If I didnt like them i'd say so )

It was all quiet on board as I assessed the damage. After the alarming behaviour of my crew I thought the ship was falling apart. Thankfully this was not true and the worst damage was to my transporter which was down to 80%. No problem. Ill beam down and do some exploring while they repair the ship.

Having solved the immediate problems and after talking down Resnig, who was hiding in the broom closet, I sent my AE back to the transporter.

Ok, I was ready for hardcore exploring! Transporter controls set and locked. Beam beamy beam...... Whats that, my commander's dead? Er, surface of pluto a bit hostile huh? Oops.

Excuse the non-action packed story, im at work and bored .

well, my own personal experience with BCM could be summed up as follows: INTENSE REALISM. I think that's what many reviewers invariably had a problem with, it's just not an arcade shooter(I.E. Starlancer). case in point...I was patrolling the credian quadrant in my newly-upgraded GARID and decided to head over to Herin to trade and mine, as well as keep a closer eye on the mercenary activities in the region. I parked the ship in orbit and sent a flight engineer down to the surface in a shuttle with a DEPLOY DRONE waypoint, while my crew was to stand down for some much needed R&R. I figured it would probably be wise to raise shields, just in case of something unexpected(a hallmark of the BC games) when suddenly, my NID slightly flickers and my comms officer issues the ominous statement...."there's something out there..." oboy! so i continue to cycle through targets in my CVD...no hostiles detected...but i know something's out there...and cloaked. suddenly, it's announced "shuttle one docked!" and i almost leap from my command chair. whew! suddenly, there's the tell-tale announcement, "battlecruiser acquired!" alright ladies and gentlemen, we've got a situation. I order weapons systems activated and fatal systems readied. And then, my radar is alive with red blips as a FIRESTORM attack cruiser with fighter escort(VAL/RAI) decloaks and begins to close range with my ship. rather than match speed with A/P on, I prefer the freedom of controlling my own craft's speed manually, as it allows me greater control and manueverability. The FIRESTORM attempts a classic hit and fade profile, as my PTA systems begin to lance through it's shields and my primary laser(set to 50% to increase firing speed) begins to take it's deadly toll. The BARIN(CRE/MER) dispatches fighters to deal with the enemy escort, and I'm able to methodically make short work of the attack carrier. I relaunch shuttle-1 on CARGOSWEEP orders and begin plans to deliver the now crippled enemy fighters to the station. For the time being, space is safe thanks to the dedicated efforts of my crew as well as my own experience in the credian military. Derek I must once again extend my thanks for what is the definitive future war experience. And now, back to my plan to take out a raider installation in Herin!

------------------

Sysan Ki Kelpur UCV Atra Moldanni(credian/police) Ronus-IV peacekeepers

Guest Fox__Trot

Lets see a while back... *maybe I should use A long time ago?*

I was about to attack the station in majoris having launched from lv103 So I turn on my cloaking system and lower my sheilds *why waste the minerals?* Anyways i get into lv104 and get warnings about cloaked ships No problem im cloaked so they cant harm me ... Then i arive in majoris fly to the supply station decloak and disable it ... start in on the station when I hear the Acquired warning no problems I launch fighters and have them escort me ... about 5 seconds later i hear Armor Breach ... Reaction: What the **** I had just fully upgraded my sheilds! then I rember sheilds... Did I raise those sheilds? That was as far as I got before integrity of my ship hit 2 Right now im adrift in majoris Waiting to die...

Guest Grayfox

I found out today why the Orion Star Station is a baaaaaad mofo. i had just warped in system and was headed for the station to buy some more radine for my reactor when a whole booty-load of gam/mil ships enter the system. theres like 1 supercarrier, 3 supercruisers, and fighters out the wazoo. im saying to myself "whooo boy, glad i saved when i did". So i check out where they are heading, and they are all heading for Orion. so i figure ill help out and see if i cant take a few out... im already at the station, so i sit and wait. well i guess these clowns werent paying attention, cause the ODS was on the same side of the planet as the station, and even before these guys exited hyperspace, Orion and the ODS were lighting them up as soon as they were in range. next thing i know, theres only one fighter left and i havent fired a shot! and his shields were gone and his armor was at like 25 lol. so i turn and engage him with my main guns... right now hes at another station looking for St. Peter i kinda felt robbed... i only got a crippled ship lol. so i decided to make the most of the situation, and i started towing the disabled ships to Orion for some extra cash. There was only 3 ships that were left and disabled... 1 warmonger, and 2 fighters... the rest were space debris.

i have learned a very important message from this... Orion Starstation="bad mofo"