BCM War Stories & Experiences

Supreme Cmdr

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Captain X:

Then I saved. The next time I reloaded, Aleri was at 9%.

Apart from the fact that you should be using the CURRENTLY supported version of the game, the inflation rate for each station changes over time. It is not region related.

If its going negative, thats probably a bug. But I will check.

The inflation rate shouldn't change when you save/restore a game. This is similar to that quick save elapse time exploit that was fixed in 1.0.06 RC4

btw, your excuse for not using 1.0.07 is nonsense

[ 03-13-2002, 14:39: Message edited by: Supreme Cmdr ]

quote:

Originally posted by Captain X:

I am using patch 1.0.06. (I know, but with patch 1.0.07 I could not get my crew to follow my orders to go off station)

Hey CaptainX, if they are not really tired, then they'll come back on station even if you order them too.

Also, some of your officers may be ordering them to come back on duty even after you tell them to go off duty.

For example, I find, especially with relation to medical personel, that I'll order a medic with ~20% off duty, and then my medical officer will say "assining medics to search duty" or whatever he says. So, basically, leave them on until they either get hurt, or get really tired and go to bed themselves.

Besides, you want them to stay on as long as they can to get their little pea brains to gain some AI %.

Now I am in a pickle jar. If I uninstall and reload to 1.0.07, I will lose my Supreme Commander status, 1 Billion dollars AND have to edit my sig.

Fine, I am taking my fleet, stocking up on weapons and heading to Gammulan space for a final battle before I switch (grumble...freakin Gammulan's are gonna pay!!)

Well now, I see that no one has posted a new war story in quite sometime (a whole 5 minutes)...and though this will seem rather dull by comparison to some of the stories I have read...I shall tell my tale nonetheless.

I noticed that no one has posted a story about planetary ground engagements so I thought I would be the first.

I was only about 4 days old, as far as purchasing and gameplay goes, and I was trying to familiarize myself with ground force ops. So after readying my FIRESTORM in a halt position somewhere over North America. I went to preparing my marines and shuttles for deployment to a Raider military installation.

Although I really wanted to pilot one of the shuttles myself down to the LZ, cause I love to fly, I denied myself the urge and stayed on the bridge overseeing the deployment operation.

After deploying all of my assets, to include, 4 Tanks fully armed, 20 marines, 10 regulars, 10 EF, and my fighters on stand by for CAP, STRIKE, and PATROL loadouts, I decided it would be fine if I piloted a shuttle down and lead the attack from the front.

This all takes about 20 to 30 minutes of course, from start to finish. After doing the recon, finding a good LZ, laying out the waypoint sets, readying the marines, deploying the shuttles and marines and tanks. ETC...

Needless to say feeling comfortable and pleased with myself ...(never bothering to hit save game either)...I tell my AE to head to the Shuttle Bay and prep for dust off.

Gave the launch command and VRRROOOMMMM...off I went. Enjoying the scenery as I speed toward my forces awaiting my arrival on the surface...life couldn't be better.

Finally after the sequences I am in the atmosphere slightly northeast of my LZ and troops. I see the raider base below to my right and grab for my throttle/yoke hit the boosters and made for NAP of the Earth. But evidently the SAMs having been tracking me ever since they first picked the little red dot of a shuttle on their radars.

I hear a missle acquiring then locked on warning from my shuttle, and think, I'm fine...no problem one little missile isn't gonna ruin my plans for domination. Then it's off...the missle is pinging me as it ranges for the kill.

OH SHIT! ...Ok stay calm just get close to the ground and hit VTOL and shoot straight up, that otta give you some time...wait, if I do that they'll just lock on and fire more missles at me...

Bad idea, try something else...ok...hit the afterburners and stay close to the ground. Yea, that'll work. Not really knowing the exact specs of the shuttles or the missiles, (IE the ability for one to out run a missile in a shuttle.)

So I reach down and hit the burners...(not really paying attention to the direction my shuttle is facing at that moment probably wasn't such a good idea in retrospect)...BLAM...right into the ground, RED warning lights going off like crazy, I'm sliding along the ground slowly until I halt, about 20 Klicks away from my LZ, missile still tracking...shuttle is not functional...not in the least. But hey I'm still alive that's a plus...ping.....ping...ping..ping.ping.ping...oh CRAP get out of the shuttle you idiot!!

At the exact moment I am pressing ALT-E and yes to exit, I am watching my poor excuse for a beat-up shuttle explode into a million little pieces.

Then the inevitable KIA message and back to the main menu screen...what does one do at that point?

Play another game?...na...I'm too pissed...Try again?...na...I'm too pissed...Commit suicide?...na...I'm too self-centered...Get another ship and blow something up?...YEA!!! Good idea!

[ 03-13-2002, 15:44: Message edited by: Shintai Tusatsu ]

Good story. Next time send the shuttle down first and then beam yourself down. Better yet, buy a Bugnor and blast a hole in the ground.

(I can't wait to give this kind of fight a try!)

As for Playmod - isn't that cheating? I would much rather play around with GBS II...

[ 03-13-2002, 15:55: Message edited by: Captain X ]

Ok I've been reading this thread since it first started but never believed I had a good enough story to tell so I never posted but I did a ground op the other night I would like to share.

New Career after patching up to 1.0.07 launching from Wraith HQ, Nightstar carrier, not sure what to do first so halted CC in orbit and found a nice insurgent base on the planet. Decided I'd go have a look so sent my AE to the transporter.

Just after beaming down about 1 click from the base the "We have intruders on board" warning sounded so back to tacops - tactical assigned marines to search duty and back to my wandering. Spent about 20 minutes wandering around the base destroying radars and SAM stations I decided it was time to finish the base off and give my marines some combat trainging.

Assigned marines to shuttles and OC's and assigned 10 to the transporter, readied fighters for launch setting waypoints to attack the ground defences remaining around the base, mean time I moved my AE out of the base to a nice hill within viewing range of the carnage.

Sent my marines in first via the transporter ordering them to take out air defences and baracks, next came the fighters straffing the base from the air, last but not least shuttles dropped my OC's who rumbled through the base picking off targets of opportunity.

The best thing about all this(sound like a standard ground op so far)? Is that me(my AE) watched the whole thing unfolding from the brow of a hill safe distance from the base and I have to say it was a sight to behold.

I LOVE THIS GAME.

Tell me about it, this game just won't stop amazing me. (signed: One of the incapable betatesters as one of our friends have expressed it).

[ 03-14-2002, 05:40: Message edited by: Papi ]

quote:

Originally posted by Emmett.hendrick:

The best thing about all this(sound like a standard ground op so far)? Is that me(my AE) watched the whole thing unfolding from the brow of a hill safe distance from the base and I have to say it was a sight to behold.

chicken

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

chicken

Hey I'm a commander its not my job to mix it up with the grunts, besides I did the initial scouting/sabotage run......now its time for them to earn their Galcreds

[ 03-15-2002, 03:27: Message edited by: Emmett.hendrick ]

wow...on a rare occurance like that..you should save it right away.

the latest game I started, some of my marines have less than 10% AI. I really need to get those guys a new hobby, 'hit the beer can off your buddy's head with a sledge hammer' can't be good for them.

The game I started before that, most of my people had nice high AI levels, so I waste a bit of radium being indecisive about where I wanna go, then I go drop off my mining drones, then I plan on going back to earth to land and do a little homework while waiting for em to fill up.

I get fairly low over the ground...well...what I *think* is low. So I decide to cut the engines. Little do I know, that 10 units of height is quite high up, that and the megaron has absolutely no suspension system. CLUNK, I hit, then I hear all those wonderful alarms telling my that my reactor has been annihilated, I look into logistix to see what else is broken. Lets see...reactor might as well have never been put in, one system (forget which) was at about 97% and all the rest were PERFECT!

so after my bout of cursing, I shut that game down and start over again.

who woulda thought the reactor was on the very bottom of the ship?

I had the perfect evening last night.

I got home after having a lousy day and really wasn't in the mood to do much of anything. Nevertheless, I fired up BCM to tool around the and unwind. When I had last left off, my mining drones were full at Midae so I decided to make what I thought was an easy milk run to retrieve them.

I warped into the system and then the fun began. Before I could power up the launch bay for my shuttles, the intruder alert sounded. I pulled up Tactical and sent my marines searching the ship. I happened to look up the bridge and saw that my AE, along with my Comms and Nav officers, were taking some damage. The funny thing was, before I could get any marines to the bridge, the intruder had taken off. Sandy and Lanna either kicked the guy's privates up between his shoulder blades or kept them as a trophy because they only had damage in the 80s and the intruder was down to 63%!

The marines finally trapped the intruders in the shuttle crafts, but they ended up prepping for combat for about three minutes before storming in(probably playing rock-paper-scissors to see who was going in first -- I should have sent the girls down.)

In the meantime, several enemy ships showed up out of nowhere (I was still sitting next to the wormhole.) I couldn't launch fighters because I didn't want my shuttles stolen so I had to fight the hostiles with FATAL and my main guns one-on-one. It was a glorious battle. By the end, my ship was venting a little plasma but still intact, the intruders were captured, and I had earned over 6000 experience points (bringing me up to a grand total of 38,914.) I was so jazzed I had trouble getting to sleep. This game just gets better and better!

quote:

Originally posted by Masefield:

but they ended up prepping for combat for about three minutes before storming in(probably playing rock-paper-scissors to see who was going in first -- I should have sent the girls down.)

LMAO!!! Yep, sounds like the boys already. Or maybe they doubled back to operations to get ammo? You'd be surprised how many of Resnick's boys run around with empy mags.

I just started a new game. My alter-ego is called Doctor X and he is the new commander of a Gammulan Stormcarrier called "Doctor Destruction".

Doctor X is evil. The military authorities would be royally p*ssed if they knew the treachery that would soon befall them - courtesy of yours truly, Doctor X.

Note from real self: This is the first game that I have ever played as an evil character. hmmmm...

So anyway. I sell all the stuff and take the million and upgrade the shields to Linear Spec Fours. I buy extra fuel, 2 Ralix STS and 2 Vagrant STS missles. I intend to use them soon.

I start the upgrade while sitting in space above Gamma-1. Just then, my modified danger detector goes off and tactical shows five bogies hyperjumping to my twenty.

I'm an evil guy so I said, "F*cking Great! The shields are under repair and I'll be under attack in less than five seconds!" I turn the Invisibility Shield on and dose the crew with heavy radiation (thats what evil guys do I think).

So the crew is moaning while I order them to land the Doctor Destruction on the planet. So we land which is uneventful. Ok, so the logical thing to do next is send out the shuttles and get those drones to mining.

At this point, I usually tell a marine to fly the shuttles down and drop off the drones but you know how the stupid ai can screw things up. So, I go look at my battlecruiser seating chart and pick flight engineer #14 as shuttle pilot (he's one of the brains on the ship with an AI of 20).

He flys SC1 and returns. Same with SC2 and SC3. Everthing is routine. Right as rain. He gets in SC4, I enter the waypoint coordinates in the shuttles navigation computer and check the launch indicator. Everything is showing Green so I give SC4 the launch order.

Suddenly, there is this huge explosion and SC4 along with FE#14 are vaporized. The rumor among my crew is that we have a traitor on board. I wish I could replace that fourth shuttle with a MK1 model. I need something quick.

I am thinking about making some money and then leaving the crew on some Galcom moon and signing on a new crew. I swear I am taking each crew member down in a shuttle and torturing them, killing them if necessary to find the traitor!

[ 03-22-2002, 07:52: Message edited by: Captain X ]

I only recently purchased Battlecruiser Millenium and have been learning the game. One thing that stuck out as a very memorable experience to me is the first time I went for a spacewalk on the Command Craft. I know it may sound boring to those who have been playing for some time but it reminded me so much of First Contact when they were out on the ship. I zoomed out and saw my tiny little avatar standing on the hull he looked microscopic. Well I thought it was neat anyway.

quote:

Originally posted by Unknown_Saint:

Well I thought it was neat anyway.

I too remember the first time I got out to space with my AE. It was near wormhole and there I was amazed of my CC, flying around it.

Suddenly a Stormcarrier nearby thought that my CC, while being a sitting duck, could be good target practice.

It first scared the shit out of me, but once I got my heart beat rate down a bit, I just watched amazed as the Stormcarrier ripped the hell out of my CC. Of course that was end of that career

[ 03-22-2002, 05:17: Message edited by: Papi ]

I loaded two engineers into SC1 along with my AE, Doctor X. We launch and I take her to 10,600.

These two engineers are sweating. I tell #2, watch - this is what is going to happen to you if you don't tell me what you know.

I open the shuttle door and kick #1 engineer out. Guess what? Next thing I know, he is on the surface in perfect condition!

#2 Engineer is pissing in his pants and I order him into OC1. Then I deploy it. Guess what? It ends up on the surface in perfect condition.

I land the shuttle and get out. OC1 takes off like a bat out of hell and Engineer #1 takes off running. I chased #1 down and had to shoot him about 20 times before he finally croaked.

I never did find OC1. Its gone. Being evil is not that fun... Not even an hour into this game and I have lost a shuttle, a flight engineer, two system engineers and OC1. This game is twisted.

quote:

Captain X, When Battlecruiser online is out remind me not to join your fleet.

With friends like you...

You know the rest.

LMAO!! yep

...btw, you don't have to wait for BCO to join a fleet. You should be able to do that with the (all elusive) free BCM mp patch.

Great then I'll have to start worrying about Captain X even sooner, heh.

Earlier I posted about almost killing my crew on the moon without life support. I also killed the reactor while I was mining in Alaska. The crew Immediately began to loose health. Does the game take into account planetary temperatures and act accordingly or does the crew start to die without life support regardless of the planet your on?

[ 03-23-2002, 18:55: Message edited by: Unknown_Saint ]

quote:

Does the game take into account planetary temperatures and act accordingly

No. The only time they will take injury when on a planet is if they are hungry, injured by weapons fire or if they catch an infection or radiation.

If you notice, all crew (except for the cmdr) have protective head gear.