BCM First Impressions!

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Originally posted by Gallion

I like the manual

Hmm, I wonder why that is?

Can any of you newbies figure out why Gallion likes the manual so much?

Veterans, and Betatesters, shhh, let's see if they figure it out!!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno, Jag. Not a clue as to why he likes the manual so much.

But hey, I really like the manual too. I mean I REALLLLLY like it.

So far so good, SC. I received my copy this morning at 11:38 EST and it ROCKS! That spit and polish really did the trick and nary a problem or a glitch to be seen on my system. But of course I have all the latest drivers.

"Someone set us up the bomb."

"You have no chance, make your time"

"All your detractions are belong to us"

In you face Shirleyboy! bahhahahahahaha.

From what I have seen of the noob probs, the majority are merely loose nuts behind the keyboard. I guess you'll have to open a hardware education thread. LOL

Standing room only. Let me push the button. Can I, huh? Can I?

Again Derek, my heartiest appreciation and congratulations to you and the entire 3000AD team.

Success is definitely knocking at the door. Too bad the detractors only got to the first syllable. They be sucking Crow now.

quote:

originally posted by Wolferz

<-- looks over at the airlock and bursts out laughing.

Standing room only. Let me push the button. Can I, huh? Can I?

Darn, YOU BEAT ME TO IT!! Oh well, guess I'll have to get the next batch!! push that puppy!! lol

Some quickie first impressions - I will undoubtedly have a lot more to say when I've spent more time tootling around. If I can get myself away from the game, and my Master's thesis, maybe in that order...

The good :

Graphics seem better than the demos were - then again, I ditched my Radeon so that may be part of it. The ground textures seem to behave better - they actually seem to move when I walk (they didn't in the demo for some reason). Anyway, what more can I say at this point about graphics; I've barely scratched the surface. But I really like the overall appearance. Everything looks ok so far.

And yes, the medical supply station SFX is hilarious. I'm going to have to go back and see if I can get a third-person view; me hoping there's an animation even funnier than the sound. And actually, that supply station is a case in point as to good graphics. I spent about a minute walking around one to look at its detail, and after some bumbling around figured out how to use it so I could hear the SFX.

The manual is existant (yay!) in hardcopy (YAY!) and complete (W00T!) - for which I'm very thankful. I got stuck in several places in FP and had to quit because I hadn't a clue what I was doing (e.g. I couldn't figure out how to turn off the TDU). I look forward to sitting down and actually reading the manual to figure out all the new (and the old) stuff before I continue playing (yes, I committed the cardinal sin of not reading it first. PBTHTHTH! I couldn't help it, I just HAD to take the game for a spin first!). I suppose reading the manual will also instruct me on the Darklight Image Enhancer too, I cycled its modes and was impressed by what was (I think) the night-vision, but it'd be nice to know how it worked. Heh.

Also it's nice to have a keyboard reference being all on (sort of) one page; I don't have to flip sheets of paper to remember what does what. Drat it, I just realized talking about FP that I forgot to try out the sniper rifle the other evening...

And as for the music, heh, SC must've been holding out on us when he released the music way back when 'cos I heard some tracks in there I sure didn't remember! I took the CD to work today and yanked the MP3's out of the .CAB file just to listen to them. My favorite track of the new ones I haven't heard before: "Search for Control".

I wish I could say more, but at the moment I was just piddling around some of the areas I felt were weak (or that I wasn't able to explore due to non-implementation) in the demos. However, what I see so far rocks!

What I have planned next for the game (somehow fitting it into my schedule between work and my thesis): probably take the Battlecruiser on a brief Terran/Mil cruise in Earth- and Moonspace and take a look at the economic model (hey, the demos didn't show it and there were few comments from beta-ers). And perhaps an outing as an non-combatant too, I'm thinking of being "tourist guy" for a bit and just soaking in the graphics until I have enough and am ready for some serious action.

The bad :

I don't think I'll ever truly like the joystick roll/yaw functionality.

The ugly :

A DOS batch file for the main CD "autorun" entry point?! OK, maybe my aesthetic sense is going overboard and being excessively picky. But it annoys me that a DOS console pops into existence briefly every time I put in the CD.

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: Joel Schultz ]

quote:

Originally posted by Joel Schultz:

The ugly :

A DOS batch file for the main CD "autorun" entry point?! OK, maybe my aesthetic sense is going overboard and being excessively picky. But it annoys me that a DOS console pops into existence briefly every time I put in the CD.

[ 11-21-2001: Message edited by: Joel Schultz ]

Blame MS. Nothing I can do about it. Unlike some games which pop-up autorun each time the CDROM is in the drive (VERY ANNOYING), I use a batch file to check for C:WINDOWSBC3K.INI or C:WINNTBC3K.INI and if found, I know the game is installed, so the install just quits. Would you rather the install pop-up each time you put the CDROM in or have to disable AutoRun (which you might need at other times)?

YES, haha, I have survived 3 big battles, deployed 2 mining drones, repaired my cargo bay, cloned 2 pilots and repaired 4 interceptors. Gotta take a little break now. So it's been 2 hours and I am still alive.

My experience playing:

Man oh man this game rocks!!

When I popped the game in the first thing I did was check out the stormcarrier... What a mammoth! a warmonger came at me and with only the main guns I tore that ship up!

and all of those fighters!! 12 of em!! (is it me or does the stormcarrier seem understaffed in the pilot department? Oh well I always have 4 backup fighters just in case )

Then after I got done screwing around with the storm carrier , I decided it was time to check out the firestorm...

Did a Ter/Mil firestorm and decided so blow up some insurgent base on earth... Well I planned out the attack.. a shuttle would deploy an atv in the base and await orders just outside the base.. 4 fighters would also be flying around blowing stuff up... The transporter team (marines(20) and me )would beam down in 2 groups and start shooting along with the ATV for support..

well, I began the mission... just when the fighters and shuttle entered the atmosphere enemies entered the region and of course beamed intruders aboard my ship.. I didnt want to deal with them so I put 20 marines on search duty, shut off launch control and beamed down to the planet... The fighters and shuttle made it... The fighters were flying around shooting at things but the atv was nowhere to be found.... Since I was standing next to 20 marines I decided to carry on.. Well this is where things went bad.. I looked into the sky to see one of my fighters explode.. I look back down and the marines stationed at the base came out to greet their 'guests'.. There was ALOT of them.. Despite my failed efforts on getting my marines to follow my orders they just stood there looking at the other marines... Until about two of my marines were dropped they just sat there.. Then the real shooting begun.. I expended all of my ammo on one group of poor marines (jeebus those guys are tough.. I could have swore I used half of a pistol clip before one hit the ground)

After a while I was down to my wristlaser.. A bunch of marines were dead and I was wounded.. I looked just to see even more marines marching toward me.. I decided to have the shuttle pick up our wounded(and me so I could get more ammo).. I went into tacops and ordered the shuttle to fly to my position... Well, I saw the shuttle fly over a hill, pitch down, then the SAM's had noticed it (whoops forgot about those) and decided to destroy it... The shuttle made a desperate attempt to pull up but to no avail... The shuttle blew up along with some supplies I put in it... and the mining drone I forgot to take out (damnit!) . At that point I decided to retreat.....

I was the only part of my away team alive...(to my surprise)

I beamed back on the ship and healed up.. Then I checked on the intruders... All dead but the marines did a BAD job on killing them.. 2 pilots dead and a few other people wounded badly.. I saw that ALL of the marines I sent on the away team (along with the missing ATV) were dead... The fighters made it back (except the one that I saw blow up) and the pilots were alive... I had done nothing to the base but blow up a bunch of marines, and 2 buildings... So I decided it was time for more drastic action.. I purchased a nuke and blew the little base away (I had no money so it was a cheap nuke... But there was only a solar plant left anyway so I didnt care)

I checked on a little orbital marine battle that was insurgents vs galcom space marines... They just sat there and followed eachother when someone moved... (is this a bug?)

The IA space marine senarios are the same... They dont shoot at you.. they just sit there

(Sorry this should have been posted in another topic)

All in all this game rocks !!!

In a future patch there will be menu commands in fp mode so that you can order your marines around without having to fiddle in Tacops. I just have to design the interface and how it will work (like Fleet C&C).

As for the space marines - yeah, they won't fire unless they have a perfect firing solution. Need to look into that somemore. Thanks for the reminder.

heh, actually, my bro (the touchy basterd is on this forum, but is embarassed by the fact that his little bro is here and wishes to remain anonymous) got it, but I played it and was actually good enough to pull me away from Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds for TWO WHOLE DAYS!! that said, i know> i will be getting it soon!

Oh man, I was in a major space battle. Got 10 intruders onboard. So I turned off launch control, and let my combat officer take care of them (I like him a lot this time around). Then when the battle was over about 15 minutes later, I still had 7 intruders onboard. I started killing them off one by one but 2 climbed into shuttle craft 3 and 2 into shuttle craft 4, and then another 2 into figher craft 10. Then I suddenly 4 more intruders appeared. I was POed. They damaged my systems and were running around the ship like crazy. So I docked with the space station, waited a minute and undocked. 8 prisoners onboard. Then I decided to fix my damaged systems and what do I see? I have no spare parts, my minerals are half gone and a large chunk of my cargo is missing. I checked the shuttles the intruders were hiding in and found all of the stuff there. Am I glad I disabled that launchh control, I never expected them to not only steal the shuttles but my stuff along with them. The whole thing (space battle, getting rid of those damn intruders) took me almoust an hour, I also picked up some quite nice things after the space battle and placed one mining drone on the planet. Now I am off to fixing my ship and placing another mining drone. This trully is the best simulation ever.

An interface like for FC would be awesome. That way you can group the marines (place X by the marines you want to issue an order to) and that would be much easier then giving them orders one by one.

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

An interface like for FC would be awesome. That way you can group the marines (place X by the marines you want to issue an order to) and that would be much easier then giving them orders one by one.

Yeah, thats what I was thinking too. Anyway, lets leave that discussion until the game settles down. Then we can start talking about wish lists.

I like the space marines that were trying to attack my station.

I hadn't seen those before...

Had a blast launching missiles at them.

heh, in space no one can hear you scream, but in BCM you can hear them grunt.

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: Andergum ]

quote:

Originally posted by Andergum:

I like the space marines that were trying to attack my station.

I hadn't seen those before...

Had a blast launching missiles at them.

heh, in space no one can hear you scream, but in BCM you can hear them grunt.

[ 11-22-2001: Message edited by: Andergum ]

Heh, you didn't think you were the only one with marines, did you?

While you can't deploy space marines (I had that in my wishlist but removed it due to time constraints), the NPCs can - and stations will counter with their own team. Perhaps in a future patch, I will allow you to do the say as NPCs. Otherwise, it will be in XP1 - which also gives you the ability to select your marines weaponry, deployment profile (EFM, MIM, SFM) etc, directly from Tactical.

As for launching missiles are SFMs. Man, thats just sick.

okay thsi game is awesome , SPACE COMBAT AS A MARINE IS FREAKING HARD......for all you that signed on to the orbital battalions, i salute you, you have your work cut out for you....oh yeah and an fc system would help alot, for controlling marine battles and the like....

quote:

Originally posted by JJ:

yeah sc, do you think you can help those guys out with putting a scope on the sabre or something, cause it REALLY is hard, AND NEW AMERICA...OMG BEAUTIFUL!, UNREAL, THE BASE INSIDE THE ASTEROID, i was speechless

Good idea. I'll think about it.

quote:

Blame MS. Nothing I can do about it. Unlike some games which pop-up autorun each time the CDROM is in the drive (VERY ANNOYING), I use a batch file to check for C:WINDOWSBC3K.INI or C:WINNTBC3K.INI and if found, I know the game is installed, so the install just quits. Would you rather the install pop-up each time you put the CDROM in or have to disable AutoRun (which you might need at other times)?

[Minor edit to the below]

I agree that the purpose of your batch file is perfect. I just felt the form it took could be a little more polished than a batch file. A dozen lines or so of C code could do the same thing as an invisibly executing Win32 app (you know, just a short "WinMain" and that's it). But again, that's my aesthetic sense, not yours...

FWIW (it's probably too late to change) if you want I could probably whip that code up in 5 minutes or so and sent it your way. No strings, no charge, just a fan contrib.

Back on topic...

I really like the training mode. Last night I goofed around in FP mode. No, you can't watch yourself getting surgery done . But I did figure out how that TDU unit ("P" key) and DIE work. Plus figured out how to turn the TDU off (zero key - like I'm holstering it?). So what does this have to do with training mode? Well - it means I can spend time doing this without worrying about other events or getting shot.

Yet another cool impression - accidentally crashing my fighter over an Insurgent base and being able to hop out and run to a supply station for healing and ammo! Too bad I couldn't find an empty figher to commandeer...

[ 11-23-2001: Message edited by: Joel Schultz ]

quote:

Originally posted by Joel Schultz:

[Minor edit to the below]

I agree that the
purpose
of your batch file is perfect. I just felt the
form
it took could be a little more polished than a batch file. A dozen lines or so of C code could do the same thing as an invisibly executing Win32 app (you know, just a short "WinMain" and that's it). But again, that's my aesthetic sense, not yours...

FWIW (it's probably too late to change) if you want I could probably whip that code up in 5 minutes or so and sent it your way. No strings, no charge, just a fan contrib.

No thanks. I know how to do it. A batch file was the easiest solution, since I used the same method in BC3K. Just think, if we [developers] cared enough about it, don't u think autorun would be such a pest even though the app is already installed?

quote:

I really like the training mode. Last night I goofed around in FP mode. No, you can't watch yourself getting surgery done . But I did figure out how that TDU unit ("P" key) and DIE work. Plus figured out how to turn the TDU off (zero key - like I'm holstering it?). So what does this have to do with training mode? Well - it means I can spend time doing this without worrying about other events or getting shot.

That was the intention behind my creating them.

quote:

Yet another cool impression - accidentally crashing my fighter over an Insurgent base and being able to hop out and run to a supply station for healing and ammo! Too bad I couldn't find an empty figher to commandeer...

Look for it in XP1 and possibly the multiplayer patch.