BCM First Impressions!

Supreme Cmdr

quote:

Originally posted by Schmendrick:

Cool Any chance well be able to, um,
process
said animals into trade items (furs, meats, etc.) at some point?

uhm, no?

quote:

It'd be fun to organise a little safari with the bridge crew while waiting for your mining drones to fill up. And watching Resnig get eaten by various semi-sentient floura and fauna would open up a whole new dimension of entertainment.

Don't see why not

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Estevon:

I mean't Tacops, Soback. It's impossible to be "deep" in Tactical. Drilling down is simple, but reversing back up w/o completely exiting tacops is a pain. That is all I was saying.

Strange that you say that my opinions are not valid because I am not "experienced", especially when this is the "first impressions" thread. Not the "after playing for a month" thread.

I was merely giving my first impressions as Derek requested.

I agree.

And I think I have an idea of what Soback is trying to say, though he worded it in a manner which would seem a tad confrontational. Hopefully he will clarify and edit, when he sees this.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

I agree.

And I think I have an idea of what Soback is trying to say, though he worded it in a manner which would seem a tad confrontational. Hopefully he will clarify and edit, when he sees this.

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

No don't get me wrong. Even if you are in TACOPS, press F1 and be on the bridge right away. So that takes care of one problem you dislike. SC might look at the rest and see if he thinks that it would be worth changin anything. That's why I said, it's if you don't like something, make sure you fully understand how to use it and how it works, then speak and then it's the SCs decision in the end. Didn't mean to be rude or anything. Sorry if I was.

Done.

What a game.

I first heard about the BC series a few years ago, with all that implies.

The older versions were problematic...as much my mongrol systems as issues with the game.

I bought myself a good video card, mucho RAM and BCM.

It's a riot every time I play it. I was just playing with transporter ops a few minutes ago...beamed myself and a few marines to a friendly base. I then proceeded to frag my own guys (ok, I was helping to test RC6...really!) and beam myself home.

I love the detail and immersion. So many games are so shallow, with the appearance of depth. If anything, BCM is opposite...you discover so much that you can do that it makes you fall back in your chair with a silly grin on your face.

Nice job, Dr. Smart.

---------------

Hmmmm....blasted thing didn't have my proper sig first time. Edited to try and fix...

[ 12-04-2001: Message edited by: richterm ]

quote:

Originally posted by richterm:

What a game.

It's a riot every time I play it. I was just playing with transporter ops a few minutes ago...beamed myself and a few marines to a friendly base. I then proceeded to frag my own guys (ok, I was helping to test RC6...really!) and beam myself home.

How did you do that?

How? Pretty easy.

Using Tactical, I ordered myself and 4 marines to the Transporter room.

I then ordered the ship to Halt (from CC orders) and turned on the auto pilot, since I was going on the field trip and didn't want anyone left behind to go joy riding.

While the crew was travelling, I opened TacOps and zoomed in on a friendly base. I clicked the "Transporter" button and then the "Setpos" to set the beam-in coordinates.

Checking Perscan, I waited until we were all in the Transportor room. I then switched back to TacOps and clicked (I believe) the "Deploy" button.

The game switched to a third person view of the surface and the 5 of us beamed in, complete with nifty graphical effect.

I switched views around, playing, and then drew some of my weapons and used my guys for target pratice. When done, I opened TacOps back up using Alt-S and zoomed to myself. When I clicked on myself, a little menu popped up and I put a checkmark in the "Extract" option (again, I don't have the game or manual in front of me, I think that's the option). I clicked on "Extract" on the buttom Transporter menu, saw myself dissolve and ended up back on the ship, automatically on the way to MedBay. (I guess to check for infection or something after planetfall.)

Pretty nifty, eh?

Pretty nifty???

I do not think this is what your 4 marines thought while you were using them as targets!!

You have not been a good commander! Bad boy!!

Eh eh eh, just kidding!

Maybe it would be a good idea to get some gammulan prisoners and use them as target!!

BTW, I love to take a space walk on my MK2's hull while my mining drones are doing their job!! What a view!!!!

See you in space.

Steph,

Well.... yeah...

Since it was just a "test" game that I didn't even save, my guilt factor is rather low. I would never shoot my own boys in a "real" game.

Well....

Perhaps if they really botched a prisoner capture.

Hmmm...when I get home, I think I'll check to see if I can beam other crewmembers and officers down with me. (I know from reading the posts that Space Marines die. But do Flight Engineers?)

quote:

Originally posted by richterm:

[QBHmmm...when I get home, I think I'll check to see if I can beam other crewmembers and officers down with me. (I know from reading the posts that Space Marines die. But do Flight Engineers?)[/QB]

You can beam any crew person to the planet, except space marines.

And like pilots, the officers are also armed with a pistol and wristlaser. The engineers are unarmed however.

YEAH!! I finally got it loaded up and running. I have played for about a hour and a half and the game is great (even without sound LOL). I have only played the IA scenarios and they are great fun. The only problem i have will be solved by the patch (which i have just downloaded).

I'm probably the craziest one out of you lot. I started on ROAM straight away as an assassin and got whooped for 2 and a half hour straight as I basically attacked everything in sight.

I was like a kid getting a new toy and decided to test out everything. In the end I went as a military caste and chose a Firestorm and now everything seems better.....well sort of.

I'm certainly not dissapointed at all at this game.

First impression: where's the box? doesn't matter, I throw them away anyway.

Second impression: who the hell folded this map, because I'm buggered if I can fold it back the same way

Probably won't be till the weekend till I get down and play it much, my missus is on nights, so no *****ing from her about me staying up half the night.

• 2 months later...

It's really hard to micromanage everything all the time but I guess that diffulculty dissapears over playtime.

The multiplayer should be very interesting, I wonder if it'll follow the same guidelines of the upcoming FreeLancer whereas multiple roles can be filled up and the whole multiplayer world would be dynamic in affect.

Great work with the game, now if I could only understand how to evacuate my ship personel into shuttles, I can start taking bigger risks in dogfighting...heck, I should learn how to dog-fight first. Heh.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm really glad to join all of you in this forum...very refreshing! My first impressions of

BCM....Wow! My jaw dropped to the floor. I am so impressed what the SC and his team did. This game delivers everything it promises. I've been playing around in the TA and IA scenarios just to get a good feel for all the controls and systems. I REALLY LOVE THIS GAME!

Thanks again for a great game. BCM is light years ahead of anything else I've ever played!

Gary

Thank you Derek Smart!!

I don't know if you remember a post I made at VoodooExtreme many months ago outlining my disappointment with Take 2's version of BC3K, but that I would keep an open mind about BCM.

After reading myriad reviews, I bought BCM from EB last week. I just want to say how impressed I am with this piece of software. The fact that it was made by a small group of dedicated individuals makes it even that much more impressive. Needless to say, I've been playing non-stop and losing much sleep. I buy an average of 4 games a month, and this is easily the best game I've purchased in a while.

Thanks once again Derek. Over the past year you've proven to me that you're intelligent, resilient, and know how to make a great piece of software. After reading the boards here it's also quite obvious that you care deeply about your cutomers.

Kudos!

Rob