To boldly go where no BCM player has gone before...

Simparadox

...okay, maybe not. I'm probably not the first person to try this, but I figured it might be fun. Before I get into explaining my plan I should say that I have about five computers in my room (and parts for a few more - so sue me, I'm a geek - I like being able to choose what OS I want to use on a daily basis ). The computer I use for work (web development) is a 1.4ghz Athlon with a Radeon 8500, but I've got a terrible HSF on the cpu and it tends to overheat when I run games on it for any prolonged period of time. Anyway, my new HSF came in the mail yesterday and I can keep it running intensive programs for almost 24 hours straight with no heat issues...

...once I realized this, I knew what I had to do. For the next week I'm going to keep a BCM game running on it 24/7 (Yes! Screw work! BCM forever!) and try to survive the entire time. I'll run actual system-wide patrols while I'm doing work or playing something on another computer, taking over the helm when a serious situation comes up. During repairs I can come back onto this computer and feed my BCM Forum addictions. Yes... for the next week I will live the game! Muahahahaha! I'll keep you all posted on how it goes...

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any serious trauma or depression brought on by the above glimpse into my pathetic life.

When I sleep, I normaly park on planet, (somewhere secluded) Shut the engines down, lower the shields, and put out the drones. I also take most crew off duty. Just make sure you got around 1000 radine before you attempt this, or you will not be a happy camper come the next day

quote:

Originally posted by Soback:

What are you going to do when you go to sleep?

Probably land on a relatively safe planet. I was thinking about docking, but I want the game to actually continue in real-time for as long as I can. I've had it running since I made that post. Set up a new terran military roam game and I played it for a few hours. Overnight I landed on the moon while my drones did some work. I just left a few minutes ago and deployed probes to nearby systems, now I'm running a patrol around the Earth jump locations, Earth itself, Galcom HQ, etc.

I have to say, it's been a pretty damn cool experience so far. I can play without actively seeking out a lot of trouble, since I only have to go over to the computer when something comes up. So far I've already foiled two Gam attacks just because I happened to be patrolling the area when they came in.

Now that, sir, is the bomb!

You have just demonstrated why I need to convince my wife that I need another high endish system...sicne I also do not want to go without my Dark Age of Camelot fix.

Of course, I'm so hot headed that I'm lucky to survive 30 minutes...so maybe this play style is not for me...

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Yeah!! I wanna know too

Massive loads of work kept me away from computer games in general (including BCM) for the past week and a few days. And I'm thinking the holidays are going to do the same.

Anyway, the few days I actually had to spend with the 24/7 BCM game was awesome. Seriously, I'd recommend trying it to anyone who can. I almost feel like it's the way the game is meant to be played. Anyway, once this whole real life phase passes and I have at least 4 or 5 hours a day at home again I'm going to start it up. I also plan on making a website to show off screenshots from the game and link they together in a sort of story form. So stay tuned.

EDIT: By the way, I was only able to keep it running for about 2 days (happy to report no crashes in that time period, though ) because I was too stupid to move all of my important work files from that computer's harddrive to the network drive. Now that I've done that and downloaded the latest patch I'm going to start the whole 24/7 BCM project up again sometime over christmas break. My goal is to keep it running for one week at the very least.

[ 12-21-2001: Message edited by: Simparadox ]