Siege on Pixan

Mission: To assault and capture or destroy Pixan Starstation

Assets: Two dozen Carriers which included several BCMK1 and MK2 and the Flagship Executor(firestorm class), dozens of cruisers from different classes, almost a hundre of fighters.

Think nothing can beat that??, you're wrong!!!!

Outcome: Disastrous, Pixan took minor damage, 95% of the fleet destroyed, Flagship heavily damaged... Galcom resources depleted.

Conclusion: Stations are way too POWERFUL, i'm definitely going to edit those files when game builder system II comes out (GBS-II)

LOL, i'm not a n00b man, i tried to coordinate so they would arrive in at the same time. Carriers, then cruisers, then fighters, then me. The point is that the fleet got annihilated, a big part of the fleet got destroyed before they could get out of hyperspace, then while advancing to the station my fighters were being scrapped, and the fray continued until i was almost blown up. Note that i did not use cloaking since i wanted to do something different this time.

They are just too overwhelming.

Cmdr_ Laracuente:

you could have easily taken out that station with your firestorm... all you had to do was cloak.

Also watch your orientation on the station when you jump in. if you do it right you can get inside the arcs of some of the turrets.

[ 11-20-2002, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Eclipse ]

quote:

Originally posted by Eclipse:

Cmdr_ Laracuente:

you could have easily taken out that station with your firestorm... all you had to do was cloak.

Also watch your orientation on the station when you jump in. if you do it right you can get inside the arcs of some of the turrets.

I think the conclusion was the failure of the mission was due to command errors....by Rensig.

Hey guys, i'm not new around, though i'm not an expert i know everything i need to know for survival. I know cloaking is he easiest way for taking out anything but i wanted to do a big fleet strike for more fun.

My point is thati got amazed at how the station managed to fight...if Such a huge fleet is decimated by a single station then i can draw the conclusion that the strenght of Space stations is at the point where it is impossible to destry with a fleet attack. Maybe if i had brought ALL Terran assets from all stations i would have managed to get away with victory but from my point of view , something shouldn't be that powerful so i'm going to change the strenght with GBS-II when it comes out.

quote:

you could have easily taken out that station with your firestorm... all you had to do was cloak

eclipse where would be then fun in that?

i remember posting pictures of a 25 ship battle or there about somewhere around.

i think its just right. 25 ships isnt a big fleet. try 75.

25 almost got it destroyed. I dont remember losing ships on the way in...it wasn't pixan..it was Sygan...so probably less weapons? different type station?

but come on its a starstation ... probably 100 times the size of your ship..if it only takes 25 ships to take out one...players will sweep across the galaxy easily multiplayer wise.

quote:

Originally posted by Cruis.In:

25 ships isnt a big fleet. try 75.

25 almost got it destroyed. I dont remember losing ships on the way in...it wasn't pixan..it was Sygan...so probably less weapons? different type station?

but come on its a starstation ... probably 100 times the size of your ship..if it only takes 25 ships to take out one...players will sweep across the galaxy easily multiplayer wise.

Yeah, but non-Fleet servers will only be able to handle a really really low amount of players. Fleet servers will be invite-only, unless that's been changed recently.

I don't expect many, if any, strikes consisting of more than 10 player controlled capital ships.

You may think stations aren't powerful enough. But I think they're pretty good where they stand, for multiplayer.

About your Sygan issue, it's because of a different model starstation, with the lasers just happening to be on a bad arc to the hyperjump exit point from the nav point, if that makes any sense. Some stations have really bad firepower if you're coming completely from the horizontal. Some stations have nice blind spots from above or below. It's all part of a larger strategic picture; if you KNOW that the station you want to assault can't defend itself from horizontal attacks, and the jump gate you're at is at a bad angle, you can jump to a moon and then to the station, if the angle is right. And etc.

There's no balance between ship and station. Put it this way, do you consider thata CAPITAL SHIP should be cut into pieces in a few seconds? When they target you you can expect fireworks around your ship inmediately.

Cap ships should be a lot more powerful in terms of protection.

[ 11-24-2002, 07:19 AM: Message edited by: Cmdr_ Laracuente ]

quote:

Originally posted by Cmdr_ Laracuente:

Cap ships should be a lot more powerful in terms of protection.

That's why there's upgrades and artifacts. Another thing. If you have a squad of fighters to get in there, use them. TIme it so they get there first, and take the fire from the station, if you really need them to. Every last diversion helps.

I once had a firestorm with shields at level 4 (linear specs 4)(it doesn't support the artifact)

and it was downed to about 25% by a small fighter in just one run... If you are against mu statement go try it. (not that you are against it but you seem to).

A quick death is not FUN, so i'm changing the stats with GBS II

My post still stands

I think the only change that should be made would be to decrease the damage rating of all shots. Only to help make fights longer which I will agree can sometimes be a little short.

I find starstations though very easy to destroy even without cloaking and in a fighter craft. I do think the fact that fighters are able to destroy spacestations as easy as I've managed questionable mind you.

It is a matter of getting the right balance and a matter I'm sure SC is aware of. The problem is, different people are at different levels so finding the right balance hard.

I'm confident that when MP is ready these matters will probably be resolved in some way or other.

The game is balanced to provide an advantage to cloaked opponents when attacking a star station. A frontal attack is suicide but cloaked assults are easily implemented.

OR,

You could perform a siege on a star station and force it to surrender. This is your only option if you do not have cloak ability.

[ 11-25-2002, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: IceCold ]

quote:

Originally posted by IceCold:

You could perform a siege on a star station and force it to surrender. This is your only option if you do not have cloak ability.

Has anyone here actually SEIGED a star station. I have never tried it, but it seems that it would take a significant length of time and I don't recall anyone ever posting about it. I just want to know how well a seige works, I have always suspected that they're not actually programmed in and that it is just said in the manual to make you think you can do it (that's a joke, haha). So, has anyone ever seiged a star station before, to confirm whether or not that is a feasable option.