Here's something weird during a station assault...

kschang

I was in Lennen / Sirius attacking the base (again). I took down the ODS already. I took out 1 Defender fighter. That other Defender won't go down, so I went after a Raven instead. Took that one out. Then a hostile Battlecruiser (forgot exact Mark) passed me. I didn't even bother getting a lock... just turned the ship around and just STRAFED it from bow to stern without a lock. It blew up. Then my SC2 launched itself... RED. An intruder has gotten through... with THREE marines onboard. (Heh?) There's also a LOAD of red icons on the scanner... Looks like the base has launched the full deck of fighters.

Then all of a sudden my computer "froze".

Only... it didn't freeze. It just went from about 15 frames a second to 0.15 frames a second (approximately). I hit F1 and waited... In a few seconds, the HUD went away. So the program is still running... Just horribly slow.

I saved the game (full save), then resume'd. It's STILL slow as heck.

I exit BCMG, reload it, and resume'd. STILL slow as heck.

Hmmm... I was going to try restart the computer next.

Update: I restarted the computer, and tried resume, it's still one frame every 5-7 seconds. Exit and tried restore, still same problem.

So I decided to "tough it out". I want to see if this condition persists. So I let the battle continue... Then I got hit from enemy fighter. Shield brightens...

The frame rate went back to normal!

Weird, heh?

Any way, I wiped out ALL the fighters and defending ships at the station after an extended battle...

Then I went after my lost shuttle. It's moving a bit in space. My PTA was engaging it, so I turned PTA off, then I turned on tractor and see if I can snag it to recover it. I tractored it... then the target was gone. Wait... Why is the SC2 icon still red? I looked at status: DESTROYED. Apparently, the shuttle did a AB JUST as I came into tractor range. My tractor beam was damaged as well, and the shuttle's dead (along with the 3 marines inside!)

Now I have to replace SC1 AND OC2... AND 3 marines.

Well... Sometimes the poor processor gets bogged down when the bases disgorge a hoard of ships and it's trying to display fancy graphics at the same time... At least that's what I think it is. If you just wait it will clear up.

Your shuttle was destroyed by the intruder when you locked your tractor beam on it. You see, all the intruders are from Ancient Japan and belive in Death before Dishonor. When they realize that they are going to be captured they destroy themselves in the most spectacular and damaging way they can.

Most of the above is true, you decide which part is false.

Once a shuttle is launched by an intruder you can kiss it goodbye. I don't know if the marines aboard it could win control of it back, but I don't think so. I think it's gone. So I usually plug it myself so at least I get the satisfaction of blowing it up, not the intruder.

Of course I haven't had to do that much since I started turning off power to launch control as soon as I know I have intruders aboard.

Should have left the shuttle alone as long as there were still live marines aboard, if they overcome the intruder you get your shuttle back (at least it worked that way once for me many many many moons ago). Tractoring a stolen shuttle is a good way to watch your own shuttle used as a bomb against you.

As to the slow down. If memory serves, on a rare occasion, a ship or missile will explode outside normal game space (not sure if it was in Null space or what exactly....I don't remember). This used to crash the game but now the explosion is handled but the processing required to deal with it is huge and will bring any single processor machine to its knees until the explosion sequence is complete. I tried searching the forum and VCF files for a reference but can't find one so maybe I dreamed this was the cause but I do recall this being the reason for the slow down you're describing.

quote:

Originally posted by Tyrn:

Should have left the shuttle alone as long as there were still live marines aboard, if they overcome the intruder you get your shuttle back (at least it worked that way once for me many many many moons ago). Tractoring a stolen shuttle is a good way to watch your own shuttle used as a bomb against you.

Yep

quote:

As to the slow down. If memory serves, on a rare occasion, a ship or missile will explode outside normal game space (not sure if it was in Null space or what exactly....I don't remember). This used to crash the game but now the explosion is handled but the processing required to deal with it is huge and will bring any single processor machine to its knees until the explosion sequence is complete. I tried searching the forum and VCF files for a reference but can't find one so maybe I dreamed this was the cause but I do recall this being the reason for the slow down you're describing.

This used to be the case but no longer. From what I can tell, there were just too many NPCs around and its the AI kernel that causes the slow down, not particularly the graphics. A huge battle like that - especially on a planet - is excrutiatig. And Kasey is running a Celeron 400 on WIN98. Now, thats bad. Real bad.

The best remedy is to sit it out. Quitting, saving, restoring won't do any good because that state is saved. To ease the pain, you should quit, go to CONFIG and run at 640x480 with 16Bit, then resume. When the state clears, go back and reset your options.

yes, experienced the slow down to turtle-speed more than once, especially when there are a lot of white missile markers in my TACSCAN!

I just ride it out and wonder if I feel lucky enough to go downstaires, refill my coffee-cup and be back in the driverseat before the gamespeed returns to normal.

This behaviour leads to two things:

1. Coffee spillage from my kitchen to my pc.

2. The first thing you see when walking through the door is the last thing you see of your beautifull CC.

I now learned the aprox amount of white dots I "need" in my tacscan before I can have a descend coffee-refilling-moment.

quote:

Originally posted by Sir John Falstaff:

Your shuttle was destroyed by the intruder when you locked your tractor beam on it. You see, all the intruders are from Ancient Japan and belive in Death before Dishonor. When they realize that they are going to be captured they destroy themselves in the most spectacular and damaging way they can.

Actually I got back such a shuttle once. I basically chased after it and tractored it. I got "Attempt recovery (Y/N)?" prompt. I answered yes, and the shuttle is in my shuttle bay (nobody onboard).

quote:

Originally posted by Kasey Chang:

quote:

Actually I got back such a shuttle once. I basically chased after it and tractored it. I got "Attempt recovery (Y/N)?" prompt. I answered yes, and the shuttle is in my shuttle bay (nobody onboard).

There was nobody onboard to booby trap it

• 4 weeks later...

quote:

Well... Sometimes the poor processor gets bogged down when the bases disgorge a hoard of ships
and
it's trying to display fancy graphics at the same time... At least that's what I think it is. If you just wait it will clear up.

Most of the above is true, you decide which part is false.

Once a shuttle is launched by an intruder you can kiss it goodbye. I don't know if the marines aboard it could win control of it back, but I don't think so. I think it's gone. So I usually plug it myself so at least
I
get the satisfaction of blowing it up, not the intruder.

Of course I haven't had to do that much since I started turning off power to launch control as soon as I know I have intruders aboard.

Thats A good idea to "get back" at intruders letem steal a craft just get a FATAL lockon it. oh boy i wanta try it