The Fog of War

spamllama

Or, how I inadvertantly helped in the destruction of Wraith station in Sirius.

I was feeling very pleased with myself as a commander. I had a hold full of minerals mined from the moon, the wreckage of several insurgent carriers had left me with several ODS and SDM missiles to sell. My back of the envelope calculation estimated that I had at least 7 million in cargo to sell. I turned on navcom and set course for Wraith station, to take advantage of the 30% inflation rate.

After an uneventful trip, I arrive in Sirius. I aim my Megaron for Wraith and jump when the HD recharges. En route, insurgent forces attack the station. This was the biggest insurgent attack I'd seen yet. First, 3 cruisers appear and make a beeline for the station. Hoo boy! I think...more salvage. Then, a FIRESTORM, an AESTROM and a MEGARON decloak, launch fighters, and cloak. All of the carriers were within 50km of Wraith and had just launched a total of 12, yes 12 fighters. The carriers open fire on the station, while cloaked, just as I emerge from hyperspace. I launch all my fighters (big mistake) and cloak myself (GOOD IDEA). The enemy fighters and PTA turrets took out my entire fighter wing in 10 seconds flat. So , cloaked, I set the PTA turrets to 10% for the machinegun effect, and start maingunning and missiling the carriers. In about 5 mins, I took out all 3 carriers and 12 fighters. I heave a sigh of relief, decloak, and start examining the damage I've taken, which wasn't much at all. When I get back to the bridge screen, I notice my PTA turrets are STILL FIRING. WTH? I check radar...no enemy targets. I cycle through the camera views til I get to the top camera - and MY PTA TURRETS ARE RIPPING WRAITH TO SHREDS. The station has no shields, and the lasers are cutting right into the hull. I turn off the PTA system. I figure what happened - I think. An enemy fighter must have looped behind the station and my PTA turrets fired. Wraith must have fired back, and my computers identified it as an enemy. As I'm pondering what to do next, two cloaked carriers sneak up and open fire on the station. BOOM! And then they start shooting at me. Irk. Time to get the heck out of dodge. I slink back to the Terran system to regroup.

quote:

Originally posted by spamllama:

I figure what happened - I think. An enemy fighter must have looped behind the station and my PTA turrets fired. Wraith must have fired back, and my computers identified it as an enemy.

Yep. That sounds exactly like what happened. The PTA turrets do not have IFF logic, so they don't care whats in the way of their target. They'll just fire. And if you fire upon a friendly target for too long, you become a threat to them and they will then open fire.

You should be court-martialed