Universal Combat: After Action Reports (MP):

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like an awful lot of fun guys. I look forward to learning a bit and finally joining in on the MP play once I have a handle on this game. I, like many others before me, I am sure, was a little overwhelmed at first. The warming up has begun though. ;-)

• 2 weeks later...

today on s4 with Reed, Khan and Pugwash.

Pugwash and me joined up to lay an ambush for Reed at the Foron side of the gate to Ralean.

While I was visible, Pugwash wasn't. Reed had the sense to come through the gate under cloak.

These are intens moments if you are playing bunny like me. I saw a discharge at my six but couldn't engage it in fear of hitting pugwash.

Then I heard a loud boom. And I pressed ACCEPT.

I got back on s4 to take the bunny business one step further. I dressed myself up as a bunny. Choosing GAM/MIL Resnig (UCV Paul) does that to ppl. Needless to say I got killed fast. But when the first volley ended and I could asses my damage, take evasive actions etc, a message appeared on the top of my screen.

"Resnig is not on the bridge"

I was on the floor laughing and don't know what happened next. This alone was worth 19,95!

quote:

Originally posted by DREADA:

quote:

Originally posted by dreadx::

Reed had the sense to come through the gate under cloak.

These are intens moments if you are playing bunny like me. I saw a discharge at my six but couldn't engage it in fear of hitting pugwash.

Then I heard a loud boom. And I pressed ACCEPT.

That Reed continues to do Wraith proud!

We practiced similar tactics in training before jumping to Palean a few days ago and...... oh never mind

http://dreada.tripod.com/BC3000AD.htm

But he disconected from the server while I was pounding him.

Great fun tonight on server 4.

Its was me(Khan),Jamotto,and Liddo against Chavik,and yes Shingin,we had shield upgrades.

However,he somehow manage to elude us,but not without taking damage.

Personally,I was out of missiles from a previous engagement,but once we were able to track him (from a shuttle he apparently ordered RTB),he apparently uncloaked and we hit him with everything we had, but apparently not enough to do the deed.

He escaped to fight another day, but great fun anyway.

Maybe nextime.

Im sure Chav has more to add.

Oh yeah it was a blast. I was doing some mining and they were sitting over there by the Castrin jump gate whispering amongst themselves. A Terran Police something or other decided he wanted a piece of my Trancor ODS. I decided to have a bit of fun. I cloaked and went after the Police. Watching them in chat saying "Get ready he ought to be here any second" was hilarious. When I came out of cloak I could almost hear jaws dropping.

Well, in a fit of brilliance I had assigned two shuttles to pick up the same drone so I had to send shuttle 3 back to get its drone. I then cloaked again and jumped to Somaris gate. "Watch that shuttle." "It's just sitting there not doing anything."

Then I ran out of iridium and my cloak shut down. So here come three raiders to do battle shortly there after. Furball doesn't even begin to describe what happened. I was rotating around trying to line at least one of them in my sights so I could go for the main gun but everytime I did my shields started depleting so I would roll back. I weaved in and out of all of them never doin enough damage to any one guy at a time for it to count. Their shields kept recharging. They did manage to get my shields down to zero several times so after listening to several damage reports I targeted Resilient and got outta there.

That was great fun.

lol that shuttle was a dead giveaway, Khan was right on the mark. I just started shooting at the location it vanished (docked) and your sheilds lit up like a Christmas tree

I look forward to our next encounter.

Hmmm, perhaps I am misplacing some events. I don't remember allowing the shuttle to dock while I was cloaked. And it did have to wait for the blast off sequence when it retrieved the drone so ya'll putting the eagle eye on it is still funny.

Ah well the story is mainly how I remember it and still a blast.

Sounds like fun.

Looks like I need to make some revisions to the use of cloak in mp games? e.g. I could make it either consume 2x more Iridium or I could have it auto decloak after a period of continuous operation.

The problem with the current incarnation of MP is that there is no incentive to nurture your crew.

Combat Kits I don't need them I sell them won't be playing long enough to need to re equip my marines,

Nutripacks I don't need them I sell them, wont be playing long enough for my crew to starve to death,

Medipack sell most of them just keep a few for emergencies

Vacpacks I don't need them so I sell, wont be playing long enough for all my crew to die from infections radiation.

Spare Parts and repair minerals don't need them if I have to do repairs I'll dock at my base.

Probes don't need them the server chat window gives me all the info I need.

STS & AMP missiles don't need them won't be going planet side to fight.

Mines don't need them and can spend the money on better things.

So at the start of a MP session I have well over 3 million to spend on Iridium, Plutonium, Radine and a few STS missiles and to hell with my crew and CC, I'll just continue to remain under cloak until they all have been fried then go on a suicided mission.

If my crew or CC get is in a bad way I'll just start afresh with a new CC and crew.

quote:

Originally posted by Supreme Cmdr:

Looks like I need to make some revisions to the use of cloak in mp games? e.g. I could make it either consume 2x more Iridium

So this action will have no effect on the way I play as I can stock up with over 500 units of Iridium which is 5 times more than I need to fry my crew.

quote:

or I could have it auto de cloak after a period of continuous operation.

This would curtail my operations somewhat but if you can immediately re cloak not much point.

Preventing a CC from cloaking or remaining under cloak while radiation is above a certain level or crew members are suffering from radiation would be another way to go.

You will be continuously modifying and adjusting things in MP which IMHO is pointless until a player actually cares what happens to his CC and crew.

LMAO!!! Man, that was a truly hilarious post. And you're right (well, you should be, since you know the game inside and out).

God, that was funny.

Well, we need to come up with a solution. So, lets start plotting their demise in Area 51.

How about making the cloak deactivate once you start firing weapons. This would allow someone to at least sneak up on there prey up until they decide to attack. The only disadvantage that this idea creates is when you want to attack a space station (which right now is actually worthless to attempt since you can't destroy the station) or if you are going up against two players which still wouldn't cause too much of a problem because once they uncloak to your six you will still have the ability to maneuver to allow for your turrets to begin firing on the opposing vessel (only if that person has enough time to swing before taking extreme damage and being disable).

[ 07-13-2004, 07:56 PM: Message edited by: Captain Reed ]

quote:

Probes don't need them the server chat window gives me all the info I need.

Well,probes are disabled in multiplayer.

quote:

Mines don't need them and can spend the money on better things

Same with mines.Manual mine deployment does not function.However,minelay does work,but limits mines to navigation points.

Why not sell items that are not used?

DreadA:

quote:

but I do remember Khan and dreadx joining forces

I don't remember this. I destroyed Khan when he started messing with my crippled fighters (crippled by no other than you, DreadA). Khan destroyed me while I was trying to have another go at you.

As for the cloaking. You went off-line quite a few times and probably missed the fact that I was sneaking in and out of the Nzone. I was also killed a couple of times and then you have a complete new ship at your disposal.

I must admit that I had tremendous fun when I saw Reed (under cloak) go after Khan. I also jumped after Khan and upon exiting hyperspace, I saw ion-bolts appear out of nowhere hitting Khan's shield. Decoupling my main guns and pressing the trigger was all that Reed needed to reconnect. Cloaking isn't everything.

quote:

Originally posted by DREADA:

Yeah, I've got a longstanding problem with my graphics card and monitor. The monitor keeps going out of sync [Frequency out of range] whenever I'm using a graphics-intense application. Tried everything, can't figure it out

Have you tried uninstalling the monitor and installing the drivers from the Proview website?

• 2 weeks later...

Just came back from a rather interesting battle.

GCV-Avenger launched from Paladian. Our mission was to locate and observe the Insurgent known as Kingston, and stand ready to destroy if deemed necessary by GALCOM.

Intel had reported that his last known location was in the Tapestran system, possibly operating from the Farpoint Starstation.

Upon receiving readiness checks from all decks, I ordered for us to hyperjump to the Procon-Tapestran jump gate for departure from the system.

Navigation informed me that we were about to enter the jumpgate, and I ordered the cloaking system activated. Then I merely sat back and awaited our arrival in the Tapestron system.

In an instant we were transported to Tapestran, our arrival announced by a warning klaxon and indications that our approach was being detected by the Insurgent forces. So, knowing we were detected, I ordered a quick scan of the area and for us to begin reversing our course, in case we needed to make a discrete exit from the system.

After reviewing the information on the TRS, I quickly designated a Warmonger as our primary target, Kingston. He appeared oblivious to our presence, sitting quietly under Farpoint station, and awaiting our hyperspace signature to make his escape, but I ordered the jump anyway.

I sat back and waited for the two minutes to be up and my cloaked MK1 Battlecruiser to exit hyperspace and allow us to begin the pursuit.

As we came out of hyperspace, I was struck by the sheer beauty of the Type 13 Starstation. A massive station consisting of what appeared to be asteroids. I had never really stopped and looked at it before, after all it was a hostile station and I normally kept my distance.

We turned to begin our approach on the Warmonger, and I watched, confused as the ship entered hyperspace tageting...

"GCV-Avenger??!?? Resnig, how the hell is he jumping at us?"

"Umm...well, may they're-"

"Nevermind. Kendrick? Is the cloaking device functioning?"

"Yessir, but *cough* you might want to think about shutting it off. Radiation levels are 92 and rising."

"Shut up and quit your whining, we're at war soldier!"

While considering what kind of weird sensor echo Kingston was chasing, I ordered our pursuit. I had just given up on figuring it out when we dropped out of hyperspace, and what happend next did not help my state of confusion at all.

"I see he's still chasing us. Well, we know he's out there 60.5klicks out; begin the chase. Also, lets use full afterburners, I don't think an engineer that can glow in the dark counts as an artifact."

Ten minutes later, we were still pursuing Kingston, and the range was still pegged at 60. Except now, he was pointed directly at the Avenger, and not closing. A while later, we had still not closed our distance at all.

"Keep your eyes open, this has to be some kind of trick, drop the cloak!"

As we decloaked, I sent out engineers to begin decontaminating Kendrick and the rest of Deck 3.

Open a comm channel to him.

"Kingston, this is Robert Iceman of the GCV-Avenger. I've been chasing you for 10 minutes now, and we haven't gained any ground."

"I show you stuck in hyperspace."

"Wha-?" was all I said before something I had never seen before happend.

-Suddenly the Warmonger appeared to fill up the bridgeviewer, pointed right at my ship!

"SIR! Range 8.12 closer rate 613"

But I was caught in my own pondering 'It can't be real, no ship can go that fast, and we weren't far enough for a hyperjump...'

"A Warmonger is too small for a cloaking device. I wonder...I want the ion disrupter to fire three bursts. Let's see if he's real."

No sooner had we fired and Kingston's entire ship was engulfed in flames. Kingston was gone.

"Well, I don't know what happend here tonight, but this mission is over. At 55 you'd think I'd be getting too old for this, let's report in to Paladian."

The date...July 29 2004. The time...20:27:00. All was quiet in and around Junae, a sector in which Strategic Commander Dreada and I (Commander Captain Reed) were patrolling until a sudden attack from an allied Terran Military vessel. Strategic Commander Dreada was engaged by allied Vesperon class battle cruiser which damaged Dreada's cruiser forcing him to attempt escape by entering the planet's, Junaes', atmosphere. With his systems damaged beyond repair he attempts a crash landing that would turn into his down fall. As he had placed his command craft into auto pilot the vessel plummeted to the planet's surface leaving nothing left but the debre and the graves of the crew onboard the lost cruiser GCV-Terra-Nova . With the loss of the GCV Terra-Nova becoming more clear to me I set a course to intercept and destroy the known spy and traitorous Vesperon class Terran Military vessel . With my partially damaged super carrier Aestrom Class, GCV-Athens, I was in pursuit and preparing for a difficult battle. With shields running at a max of 78% and nreactors at 74% with no go on cloak I continued to prepare what ever I had left to attack the the Vesperon . Once I came out of Hyper Space all Hell broke out. Shields were falling fast and the other ship gaining an upper hand. I had no choice but to attempt evasive maneuvers. With the new tactic allowing my command craft time to recharge shields above 50% I turned and opened up with everything I had, firing missles and the four main Ion guns. Down to my last three missles I decided that it was me or him so I fired those last three missles hoping for contact. With my fingers crossed and the sweat running down my brow they hit and made one of the most beutiful sites in any battle, the destruction of the enemy ship. With the ship burning and exploding brightly against the darkness of space .

The Vesperon was destroyed 20:28:49.