Universal Combat: After Action Reports (MP):

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds great...Maybe we can put fear in them with the idea of putting those commanders in a detention hold for treason once CIOPS digs up a ton of reports on the number of attacks those Vesperons have made on galcom vessels (already attacked me 3 times since I started playing for no just reason).

They seem to attack galcom ships more often then the enemy raiders or insurgents. So go get them CIOPS people .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Remo Williams

Heh, Maybe we should put a team together and go face the attack of the red shirts.

Naa, I don't feel like sending the Space Marines out to clean the nOOb juice off my hull.

quote:

Khan unleased a tremondous volley of fire from his main guns just as the shuttle was getting up to speed. The shields were depleted quickly and if ....

He's right. I though it would be an easy kill.His shields went down, but he got away.

quote:

Khan unleased a tremondous volley of fire from his main guns just as the shuttle was getting up to speed.

Yep, I did. Unreal.

Maybe next time.

• 2 months later...

Well, Khan (CC) and I had some fun tonight doing some dogfighting and marine ops.

I thought I'd try to sneak up on him in a Raven super fighter, so off I went to Gendar, stalking my prey. After a fortunate flux field jump that put me in Ralean, I exulted in the speedy transit through HS to the Gendar jumpgate. As I closed distance to the gate, I began thinking of all the glorious violence I would do to the hapless Khan, and moments later I entered the system, intent on my prey.

Except it takes a second to load the assets in system. Ah ha! Khan was a mere...13km...and I, uh...

Yes, I pressed accept.

Okay, so then I convinced him to test out the dogfighting quality in MP, and he was game, so we engaged each other usefully. It says good things of the FC part that we managed to tally about the same scores on each other, and I'm really interested in trying more FC-based missions for the next set of fleet matches.

Well, now I felt like really pushing my luck, so we went planetside to Procon and started marine ops. I took a MI marine and, boarding a gunship, took off from Procon SB01 and began making my way to the nearest Insurgent base. Then I learned that GALCOM somehow thought it worthwhile to allow Insurgents to spawn in their bases. (I hear the Insurgents allow this too, which is neighborly of them I suppose. I certainly wouldn't have allowed them to do that, but then I'm not at the top of the command chain for GALCOM. Of course, if this special brand of military planning persists, I may find myself there soon enough!)

So I work my way back to base and Khan and I experiment with taking passengers on gunships before we start killing each other. (I thought it necessary to keep up the illusion of good-neighborliness until the moment was ripe to blaze on him you see.) Well, having had a good look at that (updating packets made it appear that Khan was on an invisible leash leading out the back of the gunship as long as it was moving, which by itself is reason to give the guy a ride).

Then I dropped the ship and we began in earnest. Khan was kitted for AF to my MI, so I promptly jumped over him and, on landing behind him, promptly blazed him to ash with my laser rifle. It was starting to get dark now, so I had to watch especially closely for my prey (especially now that I knew he could pop up anywhere). I grabbed a vehicle and drove around looking for him with the radar. On spotting him I tried shooting him with an ATV turret laser, but it was difficult to draw a bead on him since he wouldn't stay still (imagine my shock). Of course, I noticed that as I drew near, he was actually hitting me adequately enough to draw attention from the female computer voice. (Makes me wonder if we're setting a bad precedent to those who desperately desire the attention of a female voice.) So I promptly left the vehicle in a fit of jealous rage and of course he didn't know I'd exited the vehicle until he had been blazed to ash yet again.

Well, this is going swimmingly I thought. Still, I wanted to look around and perhaps see if I could rejoin the space game by hopping in a shuttle. I selected a nearby Mark 1 and tried to dock into it without luck. Hrm, that's strange I thought. Then I noticed the blue glare of the shield as it bloomed under the force of a rocket blast from Khan's AF launcher. I would have been rocket bait if not for that shuttle's automated defenses! I dropped prone and raised my weapon, sighting it to a distant AF marine only now realizing the folly of trying to attack someone protected by a vehicle class forcefield. Yes friends, moments later he was ash.

Well, now it was dark and I realized that I had to be silent, and own the night like a...ninja, yeah, like a ninja! I jumped up to the roof of a local bunker and crouched prone, awaiting my next victim. I was silent, and dark, and sneaky as heck, crouched prone up there scanning the darkness for Khan to reappear.

That got boring after about a minute, so I began to look up at the night sky. It sure was pretty. The stars were out, the clouds were constantly shifting the veil of night like a woman who--OW!!! I took a couple hits that brought me down to about 50% life. I dropped prone, mind snapping into clear focus through the pain, and leveled my rifle on the clear silhouette of my latest victim.

Now let me take a moment for an aside. Gentle reader, you should know that there are many things in this dangerous universe one should definitely NOT do if one values one's life. Latest on my list is this: do NOT try to sneak up on the leader of CIOPS (remember the ninja skills?) while wearing SNOW WHITE AF MARINE ARMOR!!! Khan stuck out like a neon sign, and shortly thereafter I was warming my hands over his warm ash remains.

Of course I still had to do something about the 50% life drop. I thought I'd check out those automatic thingies we use for replenishing life, armor, and ammo. What a neat invention I thought. I docked with it, and accepted its generous offer to fix my health. At first it was nice, being bathed in a warm anti-radiation shower, but then it was followed with an inoculation shot to ward off exotic diseases. Now I don't know about you, but I did NOT get the briefing that mentioned anything about needles on those supply stations!

Then it examined my condition and elected to do surgery.

What followed I cannot here recount, nor recall, but I am left with the firm conviction that I did not emerge from that encounter whole, and what I left at that supply station I mourn.

It was now pitch black, so I hit the lowlight, and between that and the DIE, I managed to find him backed against a bunker wall. Now I was at least 50m from him, and when switching over from nightscope to the sited rifle, I had to make sure I was prone so my shot wouldn't wander. I snapped off a pair of shots, sighted a hair left, snapped off two more, sighted a hair further left and snapped off yet two more. Somewhere in there I heard him groan his last, and felt the soul of the ninja in me beam (no pun intended) with pride for having dispatched the enemy I couldn't see. I was like one of those Samurai archers who shoots guys through a rice paper wall.... Except of course that I used night optics, telescopic sights, and a six shot spread on a laser rifle instead of a single arrow from a simple bow. Of course, if you leave those trifling details out, I was a model of zen laser riflery.

Anyways, Khan eventually wised up and took an MIM, and subsequently nailed me once or twice, but I'll leave him to shamefully brag about his accomplishments in another post. Hopefully he will emulate the model of humility I have here exhibited.

Here's to a good game Khan

Nice story! These excerpts cracked me up

quote:

while wearing SNOW WHITE AF MARINE ARMOR!!! Khan stuck out like a neon sign, and shortly thereafter I was warming my hands over his warm ash remains.

quote:

the briefing that mentioned anything about needles on those supply stations! [whoa]

Then it examined my condition and elected to do surgery.

• 2 weeks later...

12/19/04

Fleet Play; Match two

I remember this the best because I was biting my nails at the very end.

We used Operation Shuttle Strike. I got lucky with the flux field. So did Marvin I suppose.

I popped out of the NZONE gate 332 clicks from the enemy shuttle. It felt like it would take too long to fly "straight" to the shuttle so I risked a jump away and a jump back. Halfway through my first jump I heard Sho and Eclipse start giving intelligence about Marvin's presence in Gaulan. Actually Sho had popped into Castrin and got a glimpse of Marvin I believe.

So now I hear Eclipse has gotten a glimpse of Marvin. I am furiously thinking about how long it would take Marv to arrive to "our" shuttle while biting my nails about my own jumps. Maybe it would have been quicker to fly straight ahead. Angst and doubt fill my mind but I press forward.

Did I mention I accidentily hit the windows key? Luckily the game came back.

So here I am with about 80% left on the hyperdrive for the final jump towards the enemy shuttle and I'm hearing Sho and Eclipse shouting "He's here, he's here, he just jumped"

I arrive safely (cloaked) and start shooting at the shuttle. Darn those shuttle shields regenerate quickly. I have a difficult time destroying the shuttle. It finally comes down to me operating mouse flight with my right hand while using my left hand to hit backspace to cycle through to an appropriate missile.

Finally something hit and I killed the enemy shuttle. I typed "killled shuttle" and the match ended.

Then we went to a tie breaker.....

Guest Remo Williams

quote:

So here I am with about 80% left on the hyperdrive for the final jump towards the enemy shuttle and I'm hearing Sho and Eclipse shouting "He's here, he's here, he just jumped"

During that time I was approaching the Gaulan gate from Castrin when I hear from Marvin "shuttle destroyed!" over the comms system. Automatically both me and Denny yell back to Marvin "YEAH ALL RIGHT!" thinking the series was over and we had won, but then Marvin comes back again "No my shuttle guys." The celebration ended quickly replaced by the thought that we were now tied up one, one, and faced a tie breaker match; which you all know now went to the Insurgents.

No one has decsribed the tie breaker yet. Is it possible? I made it to the the region. DennyMala was attacking one of my teammates so I went after DennyMala. DennyMala was so focused on his objective he failed to see me up his tailipes.

then Sho, through no action of his own, drifted through the GAULAN gate. No one is in Castrin so I go to give Sho a tow when Ben tells me that is outside the rules. I go back to Castrin and try to take out Marvin but didn't have enough time.

quote:

then Sho, through no action of his own, drifted through the GAULAN gate. No one is in Castrin so I go to give Sho a tow when Ben tells me that is outside the rules. I go back to Castrin and try to take out Marvin but didn't have enough time.

Yes, I remember that, Chav. Not one of my better moments.

Eclipse and I had just jumped over to the Somaris Gate in Castrin to initiate combat with Prime. Remo and his team locked on me and jumped. Once they came out of HJ, it was a madhouse. Everyone was firing and people were getting hit left and right.

I was taking some serious damage and decided to get the heck out of dodge, so I targeted the Gaulan Gate and jumped. Unfortunately, Remo and crew were on my tail and jumped as well!

I came out of the jump with enough time to FATAL a few missiles at Remo and once he came out and was in range, they let loose as well as my main gunfire. Again, I was taking very heavy damage..shields and hull were down to almost nothing, then silence! I saw in the chat window that I had destroyed Remo. Unfortunately, the Aries was barely holding together. I had no engines, very minimal shields and hull and not a damn thing working on the ship but my life support. And, to top that off, I was drifting towards the gate. I suppose that was the silver lining in the whole furball.

It was a bit tense for a minute or so, because I was a sitting duck and was just waiting for Denny and Marvin to finish me off...but, to my astonishment, they never came. Eclipse and Chav were obviously keeping them occupied with problems of their own.

Next thing I knew, I was through the gate into Gaulan. And that was were I stay the rest of the tournament...just adrift!

That was probably one of the best MP games I have ever had!

• 1 month later...

I just had my first MP game. Amazing. The depth and variety of gameplay is stunning for a multiplayer. Played on server three for a few hours and it only dissconected once. Thats not bad for any multiplayer game.

Players on tonight were:

GCV-Excalibur (me)

GCV-Navi

GCV-GK8000

ICV-Munic-X

ICV-Checkmate

I think Gk8000 was conducting planetary ops because he kept entering the atmosphere. Munic was busy with his mining drones and checkmate, navi and myself were engaging each other in space. Checkmate and I had four seperate engagement's, of which I won three. Not bad for my first time I thought.

If any of you guys are reading this, thanks for all the help checkmate and to you all for a great game.